Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Presentation 13th Jan 2017

Hero-of-Time

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that they said 2017 before, but geez.

Not showing any games and having an embargo on third parties until two months before releas is a REALLY bad idea IMO. First off, will that ammount of time be enough for people to get hyped for the games?

I think it really would've been smart for Nintendo to show everything before christmas. Now a crapload of people are going to buy PS4/Pro, XBOne, 3DS and Wii U for christmas. Sorry, but few people are going to buy a new console three months after they bought the last one. Nintendo should've released a Wii U killer app for christmas to appease their current customers, while giving up on selling actual Wii U units.

First off, will that ammount of time be enough for people to get hyped for the games?

Two months to get hyped for games? It takes me about a 3 minute trailer to get hyped for games, then more hype would be added on top when I realise the realise date is just a couple of months away. Worked for Fallout 4.

I still think it's too late for the full reveal. They may well lose potential buyers thanks to it not being prior to Xmas. People will spend at Xmas whereas they may not have spent as much if they thought they'd save for Switch too.

And if the dock truly does nothing more than charge and TV out the console then no matter what Nintendo say, or their fans, this is a handheld device!

Now if the dock does do something more, a boost of power, adds memory or features, then fair enough... but until we know for certain, it's like we're calling an apple an orange just because Nintendo say it's an orange.

I can only imagine the dock providing active cooling and mains power to enable the chip to clock at native speed/over clock slightly, while in mobile mode it runs at a slower clock speed to use less battery and display at lower resolution and maybe even a reduced fps.

Possibly the dock could have hardware that records gameplay, allows you to stream, store photo's, all that voice chat and friend interaction stuff that would boost the social elements of gaming at distance.

They'll be in Westfield!? Which one? I'm lit 2 mins away from Stratford's Westfield in the Olympic park!:yay:

Yep pure speculation on my part as @Ashley said - we won't be getting details like that until closer to/at the time I imagine.

Just thinking though if you're gonna do a london event where would you go now? The Wii was at Bluewater(and I'd prefer if Switch was too) but that was before Stratford Westfield existed, I've noticed since that one or two national eventy things have taken Stratford Westfield as their location; whereas I think Oxford Street or Bluewater tended to be more common previously.

I'm honestly hoping they throw a lot of budget behind this and do all 3. If they do a Bluewater date I can think of at least 5 people who'd be interested in coming along with me as it's just down the road; we're much less likely to do the same for Stratford(tho I probs would).

Yep pure speculation on my part as @Ashley said - we won't be getting details like that until closer to/at the time I imagine.

Just thinking though if you're gonna do a london event where would you go now? The Wii was at Bluewater(and I'd prefer if Switch was too) but that was before Stratford Westfield existed, I've noticed since that one or two national eventy things have taken Stratford Westfield as their location; whereas I think Oxford Street or Bluewater tended to be more common previously.

I'm honestly hoping they throw a lot of budget behind this and do all 3. If they do a Bluewater date I can think of at least 5 people who'd be interested in coming along with me as it's just down the road; we're much less likely to do the same for Stratford(tho I probs would).

I thought it was usually Earl's Court type places that do them. Westfield both Stratford and Shepard's Bush would be incredible, the retail sphere will be heaving with Jan Sales hunters and the late Christmas closing times usually still apply around early Jan.

This is going to be on so late for us Europeans, it's happening on the 12th in the US and the 13th everywhere else so will probably drop between 1am and 5am UK time. Some of you central Europeans might be able to catch it before heading off to work if its on the later side of things, but I think a lot of us are going to be staying up late for a midnight feast.

This is going to be on so late for us Europeans, it's happening on the 12th in the US and the 13th everywhere else so will probably drop between 1am and 5am UK time. Some of you central Europeans might be able to catch it before heading off to work if its on the later side of things, but I think a lot of us are going to be staying up late for a midnight feast.

Potentially something like 10pm USA time, 2am UK time, 10am Japan time ?

I think it sounds great what they're doing. A bit of me wants to know everything now, but waiting until January, having a few days of hands on time for the public, launching 2 months later, it all makes perfect perfect sense.

Find this 2million number strange, is that expectation, or what they will have to sell? I think it could sell far far more than that; but if they only have 2m then it could also be very difficult to get hold of.

Find this 2million number strange, is that expectation, or what they will have to sell? I think it could sell far far more than that; but if they only have 2m then it could also be very difficult to get hold of.

Shortages and elevated third party pricing is the only thing that could ruin this for me at launch. I'm guessing pre-orders will follow shortly after the presentation.

'Have to sell'...for what? Isn't it just their projected expectation? Why would they HAVE to sell anything? Like what's going to be the consequence either way? I mean other than a bust/failed product.

Not sure how many people go into business with a new product without a projected expectation of performance - you surely need it to base anything off of?

I actually think that if they get the Jan conf nailed in addition to the public hands-on's and the fact the system has a portable aspect to sell itself with via exposure that they could easily exceed 2mil WW by Xmas.

Shortages and elevated third party pricing is the only thing that could ruin this for me at launch. I'm guessing pre-orders will follow shortly after the presentation.

As I said previously and in line with the above I think they're hopefully just learning from the Wii U and not going too crazy in their expectations. I think a 2mil figure is fairly solid to balance between supply and demand - and hopefully if they are going conservative they're aware of the need to re-supply as fast as possible. If you go in to a shop to buy a Switch and get told it's only 2-3 days more when you've already waited months surely it won't hurt you too much?

Edited by Rummy

Oic @dazzybee! Tbh anybody manufacturing surely will have some lines set to meet demand if it runs short. I think back to when the ps2 slim came out around Xmas 2004(?) and ran dry almost everywhere, with stock trickling back in slowly. I don't think they prepped for such demand however if Nintendo go in cautious but optimistic with the switch they could address it as it comes. Aim low with a potential preparation to do better and work it from there. Still I don't think this will be an immediate sellout/fly off the shelves sort of product - but I might be entirely missing the good faith of the handheld market in that too.

Oic @dazzybee! Tbh anybody manufacturing surely will have some lines set to meet demand if it runs short. I think back to when the ps2 slim came out around Xmas 2004(?) and ran dry almost everywhere, with stock trickling back in slowly. I don't think they prepped for such demand however if Nintendo go in cautious but optimistic with the switch they could address it as it comes. Aim low with a potential preparation to do better and work it from there. Still I don't think this will be an immediate sellout/fly off the shelves sort of product - but I might be entirely missing the good faith of the handheld market in that too.

Yeah, I think it's smart, it's a much better story to say we've smashed expectations. Didn't the wii u sell over 3m at launch? I think this is more appealing, will have an infinitely better launch line up and has the home console/handheld market - plus comes off the back off Pokemon Go, Mario Run and a much more positive presence than after 2 years of Wii wilderness. I think it could start great. It's just the following months which could be tricky!

If you go in to a shop to buy a Switch and get told it's only 2-3 days more when you've already waited months surely it won't hurt you too much?

Do you mean wait 2-3 days after launch? Heck no! I can't wait once I've set my mind on getting it on its release date.

In fact, I'll be looking to get this at a midnight launch.

Yeah, I think it's smart, it's a much better story to say we've smashed expectations. Didn't the wii u sell over 3m at launch? I think this is more appealing, will have an infinitely better launch line up and has the home console/handheld market - plus comes off the back off Pokemon Go, Mario Run and a much more positive presence than after 2 years of Wii wilderness. I think it could start great. It's just the following months which could be tricky!

Remember the wii could of sold a whole lot more. It was supply constrained

This is probably a stupid question but what language is the presentation going to be in? English would make sense but if it's being held in Tokyo with a mostly Japanese audience wouldn't that be weird? Would they do Japanese with subtitles?

For the last few Sony conferences at the Tokyo Game Show they've had a live interpreter speaking over the presentation for English viewers. It means some rough translation and hearing the same voice for everyone that talks but it works quite well so i'm sure they'll employ something similar.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!