Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2016

killthenet

Gutted that France won. Cracking goal, though.

I think their defence will struggle against a more attacking thinking team.

Yeah, they did start very shaky, though that wonder goal and their genera performance should give them a lot more confidence (something which Pogba didn't lack for a second).

Luckily for them, the first big team they can come up against (no disrespect to Switzerland or their most likely Round of 16 opponents Sweden) would be Spain, in the quarter-final, and even then, they aren't the most attacking side. So, given that they should find themselves against lesser teams up until at least that point (if they top the group they avoid Spain and would likely face Wales or Iceland in the QF), they have plenty of time to gain some competitive confidence, which they worryingly lacked tonight.

I absolutely adore this French team, and it is bleeding potential, but big players missing, such as Varane, Benzema and Hatem Ben Arfa, could cost them deeply.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WOHOO Summer International Football!!!!

Enjoyed last nights game, surprised by Romania, they took the game to France more than I expected up untill they got the equaliser. Then they seemed to drop off and play everyone behind the ball and play for draw :(

France's 2nd goal was a cracker, possible goal of the tournament in the first game.

Only thing that upset me was I put a fiver on a 3-1 French win haha, so damned close, when they were in the last minute of injury time and France were just playing around with the ball I was screaming at the telly for them to just take a bloody crack at goal :P

Hopefully now will be a great tournament, can't wait for Monday and our (Rep. of Irelands) first game.

I think we are gonna do better this time round and better than people expect.

Different air about the team. In 2012 the manager (Trapatoni) was so negative, didn't have any belief in the players that they could get results and that translated to the players mentality.

This time round O'Neil seems to be different, there's more of a calmness surrounding the buildup this time where I remember in 2012 it was more hectic with management trying to over prepare the team.

I think we have a good chance of causing an upset but Mondays game will be vital, we need to come away from that with something, even a point, though of course a win would be amazing and I don't think a win is that far from reach.

In the qualifiers we drew with Germany at home and beat them in Germany in two very impressive performances. If they can play the group games like that, highly concentrated, solid defending and taking chances when they come there is the potential for anything to happen.

Great to see the likes of Northern Ireland and Wales in this time too. Hopefully all do well. Looking forward to the England vs Wales game, should be a good one.

I'll end this post with some music and Ireland's official team song for Euro 2016 :)

It was a fantastic performance by Payet, especially with Griezzman and Pogba not being up to scratch. Amazing to think there was uncertainty in France over whether Payet would start the game or not, he was so calm on the ball and definitely made the difference for France.

I'm far too excited for the Albania v Switzerland game at 2pm. Really looking forward to seeing how Albania fare in the competition.

Yup. Should have been a pen and he should have been off.

xT0GqFSNLl8f8Ue58I,gif

It looks more ridiculous the more you view it. No attempt whatsoever to make any contact with the ball and he clearly impedes Jonny Williams from getting anywhere near the ball. I don't understand why referees are so reluctant to give fouls in the box. If it's a foul, then it's a foul. Shouldn't matter where it takes place.

It looks more ridiculous the more you view it. No attempt whatsoever to make any contact with the ball and he clearly impedes Jonny Williams from getting anywhere near the ball. I don't understand why referees are so reluctant to give fouls in the box. If it's a foul, then it's a foul. Shouldn't matter where it takes place.

What's even more nuts is the view that the fourth official has of the incident. He's in a prime position and was looking right at the thing!

A well deserved win for Wales. They really look like they are playing for each other, like a proper team should.

Who was the second commentator in the match? Was it Robbie Savage? He was doing my head in with how biased he was. It's was like listening to Glenn Hoddle whenever Rooney is playing for England.

3 fantastic games so far, England v Russia is bound to be a bore.

A well deserved win for Wales. They really look like they are playing for each other, like a proper team should.

Who was the second commentator in the match? Was it Robbie Savage? He was doing my head in with how biased he was. It's was like listening to Glenn Hoddle whenever Rooney is playing for England.

I think you can forgive Robbie Savage though, a proud Welshman watching his country play in a finals for the first time in 58 years.

I think you can forgive Robbie Savage though, a proud Welshman watching his country play in a finals for the first time in 58 years.

If he was over excited that would have been fine but the guy wouldn't shut up about the pen incident. His commentating was all over the place at times as well.

England line up:

Hart

Walker, Cahill, Smalling, Rose

Dier, Rooney, Alli

Lallana, Kane, Sterling

I think it's a good line up, expect Alli to be the more attacking of the three midfielders as he should be.

England definitely need to win this game now, so hopefully Roy takes the shackles off the team and they can play some free flowing football.

I'm slightly disappointed to be missing both Wales and England play tonight due to work, especially given the great start Wales have made : peace:

Thankfully, I finish at 4pm tomorrow so will be at home with my feet up to see the most important one tomorrow (Northern Ireland v Poland :grin:)

Lallana and Rooney have been great. Kane has been garbage. Why the hell is he taking the corners?

I feel like I'm watching a typical Liverpool game where we batter the opposition, miss all the chances and then end up getting beat.

This has got 1-0 to Russia written all over it... :heh:

Kane needs to stop taking corners.

Sterling needs to come off, he's been woeful, I'd bring on Bertrand in his place.

Alli, Dier, Rooney as a midfield 3 works.

If Kane doesn't get himself a sniff, I'd bring Vardy on soon.

Kane needs to stop taking corners.

Sterling needs to come off, he's been woeful, I'd bring on Bertrand in his place.

Alli, Dier, Rooney as a midfield 3 works.

If Kane doesn't get himself a sniff, I'd bring Vardy on soon.

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

Both Kane and Sterling have been pants.

Walker has been great.

England have been pretty average, not created many real opportunities and finishing has been poor when we have, but the media will throw a blanket of praise over the team tomorrow.

So many nonsensical decisions from Roy, god knows why he hasn't bought Vardy on for Sterling, he'd run the Russian defence ragged.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!