N-Europe

Final Fantasy XII Remaster (PS4 - 2017)

drahkon

So... I'm thinking that I might make this first on my list of Final Fantasy games to play. :)

Then work backwards, not counting the online games, play through X/X2, IX, VIII and VII, fitting in XIII trilogy - by that time will probably have a remaster - plus XV when it's fully 100% patched with all changes and dlc complete. :heh:

After that I might play the original NES/SNES era titles again should the chance arise. : peace:

Thoughts? :wink:

So... I'm thinking that I might make this first on my list of Final Fantasy games to play. :)

Then work backwards, not counting the online games, play through X/X2, IX, VIII and VII, fitting in XIII trilogy - by that time will probably have a remaster - plus XV when it's fully 100% patched with all changes and dlc complete. :heh:

After that I might play the original NES/SNES era titles again should the chance arise. : peace:

Thoughts? :wink:

Well if you start with XII it can only get better.

Well if you start with XII it can only get better.

Is it not very highly regarded? Or is it more the case that it's good but not as good as some of the other entries?

I'm genuinely a bit clueless when it comes to the Playstation era Final Fantasy games... (basically most of them) :blush:

But I have respect for the series as a whole and I do hope to play more of them over time. :)

Is it not very highly regarded? Or is it more the case that it's good but not as good as some of the other entries?

I'm genuinely a bit clueless when it comes to the Playstation era Final Fantasy games... (basically most of them) :blush:

But I have respect for the series as a whole and I do hope to play more of them over time. :)

It went through development hell, loads of changes and cuts were made, the story is awful/non existent and the battle system has more in common with a MMO than a JRPG. I never actually played much of it back in the day due to the story not gripping me.

I'd recommend you start with FFVII ( PS4 port is great ) and just work up from there. If you want something a little more modern then FFX is the way to go.

I disagree, I had more fun with XII than X. Xs story, world etc. not for me. I've gotten into it before but don't feel like doing it again. The battle system is plenty fun and engaging though. I just had more fun with XII I think.

Honestly they all have their merits and shortcomings. Even XIII trilogy can be fun in their own way.

Very underdeveloped characters and a story that doesn't capture you in any way like in previous FF games. I remember walking away realising that some characters in your party never even really talked to each other in any cutscene/part of the game. A lot of the dungeons were more like those found in Final Fantasy XI, i.e. an online game with vast but pretty soulless levels. The battle system is probably the strongest point but at the same time the goal is essentially to make the game play itself (not kidding), so you kinda wonder what your role in the battles is after a time.

A real lack of awe-inspiring 'epic' moments that you'll remember as well. Like most of the cutscenes in VII or VIII - so many of them were memorable and left you with impressions about those characters. There's little like that in this game.

I loved the game back then and have only great memories from it. One of my favourite worlds, dungeons and locations, great story and battle system. Had it pre ordered since announcement last year.

Edited by Tales

It went through development hell, loads of changes and cuts were made, the story is awful/non existent and the battle system has more in common with a MMO than a JRPG. I never actually played much of it back in the day due to the story not gripping me.

I'd recommend you start with FFVII ( PS4 port is great ) and just work up from there. If you want something a little more modern then FFX is the way to go.

Just wanted to quote this as I completely agree with it.

FFVII and FFX are the way to go. That reminds me, I still need to start FFX-2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
34 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

Did anyone bother getting this then?

I installed my copy last night. And then decided I wanted to nap instead of playing it and went ahead and just left it on the title screen looping the music. 

Then I woke from my nap and just went to bed. I am an old man

• Like 3

Been playing it since Monday. As I remember it, it's fantastic.

It's been very well recieved by the media(87 on Metacritic), so I hope newcomers take notice and give the game the chance it deserves.

Edited by Tales
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I've been playing this over the past couple of weeks and finished the main story last weekend. After that was done I have been mopping up the remaining trophies, doing sidequests and eventually got the platinum last night.

This was a game that didn't sit right with me back in the day. I just couldn't get into it at all and as such didn't get that far into it. With this remastered edition I have been able to give the game a second chance and i'm really glad that I had the opportunity to do so as I really enjoyed the game.

I absolutely love Balthier. I class him as the main character of the story, not Vaan. He is just so charming and likeable, in fact I think most of the characters in the game are decent. Usually you get the annoying happy go lucky character in FF games but there doesn't seem to be one here, which was a refreshing change. I think Penelo was supposed to be this type of character but she did come off like it at all. The supporting cast is also quite good. I love both the Judges and Larsa.

The game is pretty broken, though. Not in the sense of how things run but more how you can decimate enemies very early on. You can really take advantage ( I did ) of getting the best weapon in the game thanks to manipulating the RNG. You can also nab some amazing armour and accessories by doing a few early runs in Trial Mode. I had 3 ultimate weapons near the start of the game, combine this with the x4 speed option, and a good Gambit setup, and I was blitzing enemies from the start of the game all the way to the end. It made auto grinding really easy. I just set up my team, found a good spot and then just left the game do the business while I sat on my 3DS. :)

It wasn't all that easy though. Having to do 100 floors of Trial mode was a killer, especially near the end. The last level of it was a bit of a nightmare. Even with my characters fully leveled up and rocking ultimate gear the bosses on floor 100 wiped the floor with me. I had to re-do floors 91-99 in order to get some setups right and leave my team in a good state ready for the 100th fight. It was such a great feeling overcoming this fight. It's probably one of the hardest FF fights I have had in any of the games.

Like I said earlier, i'm glad I got to fully experience the game and it's another unfinished FF game I can finally cross off my list. Just FFII and FFIII to go....

• Like 1

Almost done myself. Got the final dungeon, four of the biggest end game side quest bosses and the last stage of the trial mode to do. .Like you I'm going to have to restart. I had three characters alive going into 99 and only on alive into 100, with reverse still one. That didn't go well :p A bit disappointing you get the trophies for beating the sidequest bosses in trial mode, because individiually they're way easier. Yiasmat for example only has 4 million hp compared to 50 in the actual game. Still going to beat them in the main game though.

Also I have the quickening trophy left, just can't get to Black Hole after countless attempts.Oh, and probably about 40 rare hunts, so I guess I still have some to do. Currently at 65 hours played so far.

How did you make the transions between level 99 and 100? Did you let reverse run out and relied curatives? Without reverse I think he killed my characters in two hits, although I'm not sure if I used wither.

Was it the Seitengrat that legendary weapon you got? That became laughably easy to get :p I didn't get them until right before the final dungeon though. Same with trial mode.

Balthier is indeed the best character game, him and Fran is one my favourites in the series :)

Edited by Tales

34 minutes ago, Tales said:

Almost done myself. Got the final dungeon, four of the biggest end game side quest bosses and the last stage of the trial mode to do. .Like you I'm going to have to restart. I had three characters alive going into 99 and only on alive into 100, with reverse still one. That didn't go well :p A bit disappointing you get the trophies for beating the sidequest bosses in trial mode, because individiually they're way easier. Yiasmat for example only has 4 million hp compared to 50 in the actual game. Still going to beat them in the main game though.

Also I have the quickening trophy left, just can't get to Black Hole after countless attempts.Oh, and probably about 40 rare hunts, so I guess I still have some to do. Currently at 65 hours played so far.

How did you make the transions between level 99 and 100? Did you let reverse run out and relied curatives? Without reverse I think he killed my characters in two hits, although I'm not sure if I used wither.

Was it the Seitengrat that legendary weapon you got? That became laughably easy to get :p I didn't get them until right before the final dungeon though. Same with trial mode.

Balthier is indeed the best character game, him and Fran is one my favourites in the series :)

I fought Yiasmat in the main game first. He wasn't that difficult, although him spamming his instant death spell was very cheap. You really have to have Arise or Phoenix Downs at the ready. He rarely uses it in the Trail Mode version of him.

Yeah, it was the Seitengrat that 3 of my characters were rocking. It's such a game breaking weapon. :D

The transition from 99 to 100 went like this. I made Basch my Lure character and then used Reverse Motes on him, which meant that Omega only focused on him and this allowed Balthier and Vaan to buff themselves ready for the next fight. I tried to time it so that once reverse and lure ran out near the end of the fight. It's to so much an issue if reverse stays on as you can just cast Esuna straight away in the next fight to get rid of it. Omega is such a cheap fight. 2 shots are your dead and you don't have time to really get anything done if you are constantly healing. Reverse is certainly the way to go, just make sure that you keep lure and reverse on a single character and you should be good to go.

Another tip I can offer is to prep your B team characters. I done this during the round where you fight a Magic Pot. You have a free time to prep your team until you attack him, so I called out my B team, cast things like protect, haste, bubble, shell etc. on them and then put them in reserve. It really came in handy because I lost a few of my main team in the final fight but had a very well prepared back up team waiting in the wings. My A team had already taken a few of them out at this point, so it was easy pickings for my backup squad.

Are you using the Remedy method for round 100? It still takes some doing but once it starts working then everything starts to fall into place. Once 3 of them are down then its pretty much game over for the rest of them.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Tomorrow I will have some money to spare. The Zodiac Age is available for 30€ at Amazon.de.

Very tempted. Haven't finished the first Crash game, though, but it seems like a perfect fit...alternate between a platformer and a big RPG. Should I go for it? :D

5 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Tomorrow I will have some money to spare. The Zodiac Age is available for 30€ at Amazon.de.

Very tempted. Haven't finished the first Crash game, though, but it seems like a perfect fit...alternate between a platformer and a big RPG. Should I go for it? :D

Yes....No....Maybe.