Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Kakariko Village built in Unreal Engine 4

Retro_Link

Looks cool, but Nintendo would never actually make a game that looks like that (no matter their hardware spec) because it's not really clear what is interactive and what is not. With a super realistic look like that, all the details sort of blur together.

It's the same reason why Nintendo use unrealistic shadows in Super Mario 3D World, despite having semi-realistic lighting...

Super-Mario-3D-World-171.jpg

Notice how the shadows of the characters are still rendered below them? It's completely unrealistic but it's necessary in order to always make it clear where the player is going to land when jumping.

Edited by Dcubed

Lovely.

Definite bolts of nostalgia seeing something so familiar with a totally fresh look - gives me a weird Fable vibe for some reason. Music was also noteworthy. Kakariko is a really weird word to hear someone say.

Edited by Guy
Link edits TIME, I edit posts...

Yup, it looks great. There's tons of potential to create a beautiful Zelda game, but we knew that already. I'd happily play a Zelda game in this style.

Looks cool, but Nintendo would never actually make a game that looks like that (no matter their hardware spec) because it's not really clear what is interactive and what is not. With a super realistic look like that, all the details sort of blur together.

I don't really understand what you mean here. From what that small video shows and what it's based on, it's clear to me what you can touch and what you can't. Those pots, for example, can be broken. Those doors can be opened. Those steps can be walked on. Zelda already has a clear set of mechanics and, I guess, rules of what you can and can't do anyway.

But that wasn't super realistic...that was an updated look of a game.

And if Nintendo can't do something that realistic without it being clear what is interactivable (new word) that is concerning.

Yup, it looks great. There's tons of potential to create a beautiful Zelda game, but we knew that already. I'd happily play a Zelda game in this style.

I don't really understand what you mean here. From what that small video shows and what it's based on, it's clear to me what you can touch and what you can't. Those pots, for example, can be broken. Those doors can be opened. Those steps can be walked on. Zelda already has a clear set of mechanics and, I guess, rules of what you can and can't do anyway.

Think about the kinds of puzzles you solve and the environments you traverse in Zelda games. Things like hookshot grappling points, pickups like hearts/rupees/whatever, platforms that you can jump/climb onto or vines that you can climb (as opposed to vines that are purely decorative) just wouldn't stand out to the player with a realistic art style being used, as everything sort of blends together.

But that wasn't super realistic...that was an updated look of a game.

And if Nintendo can't do something that realistic without it being clear what is interactivable (new word) that is concerning.

Well Zelda Wii U is a clear example of how they go about designing a Zelda game with a "realistic" look (the main character is obviously celshaded and the game is heavily stylised, but it certainly features relatively realistic looking landmass)...

To lazily repeat myself from when the E3 2014 trailer was announced :p

Look at Zelda Wii U and compare it to something similar in scope like The Witcher 3...

2504542-3840569450-25044.gif

Notice how "noisy" the onscreen visuals are? With a realistic style, nothing really stands out from the environment. Things like grappling hook points or objects of interest are lost in a sea of realistic lighting/textures etc. Not so with the Zelda U trailer! (For a good example, watch the start of the

and take notice of how you can notice the giant enemy immediately the moment when it emerges from under the hill - hell! even those tiny birds stand out fantastically from the environment amongst everything else! )

670px-Obtain-All-60-Poes-in-Legend-of-Zelda_-Twilight-Princess-Step-1.jpg

Even singular rocks in Twilight Princess stand out as being something that you can specifically interact with, despite that having a somewhat realistic (albeit still heavily stylised) art style. Visual gameplay clarity is Nintendo's number 1 priority when it comes to art/graphic design; which is why they never really go for a photo-realistic look; even with hardware that is contemporary in spec for the time. I mean, there's nothing stopping them from making a game that looks like The Witcher 3, but it doesn't fit with their Gameplay First philosophy because "noisy" visual design can obscure the field of play.

This also applies to non-realistic games as well. Take the New Super Mario Bros games as an example. Ever notice how they never use foreground decorations in the levels? Or how the backgrounds are always muted in colour (or with a light depth of field applied) and relatively simple (some might even say boring looking) in terms of design? That's not them being lazy, it's entirely intentional because they want the player's focus to be on the actual platforms/enemies that they can jump on. With something like Rayman Origins/Legends, games where the beautiful art is the big focus, there are loads of times where you find yourself jumping onto parts of the background that you think are interactive, but actually aren't. In Mario? That never happens because they've removed all the visual "clutter" that can obscure the view of the action.

It's neat seeing old classics rendered in this way; they guy clearly has some crazy talent! It's just not something that Nintendo would ever actually attempt themselves because it compromises the playability of their games.

Edited by Dcubed

Think about the kinds of puzzles you solve and the environments you traverse in Zelda games. Things like hookshot grappling points, pickups like hearts/rupees/whatever, platforms that you can jump/climb onto or vines that you can climb (as opposed to vines that are purely decorative) just wouldn't stand out to the player with a realistic art style being used, as everything sort of blends together.

I can't agree with any of this. Plus, I don't even think it's that real of an "issue" anyway. Every newcomer to the series will test what they can and can't do during gameplay. How many of us tried hookshotting Epona or attempted to fire arrows or launch bombs at friendly villagers? It's part of exploration, isn't it? Finding out what you can and can't do.

Also, The Witcher 3 makes it very clear what you can and can't do. It plays differently to Zelda anyway, but there's prompts that pop up when you are able to interact with objects or pick up things like herbs. It's all done/explained/shown quite clearly and it's never at once confusing. You quickly learn what you can and can't do, much like the majority of other games out there.

On a side note, I had a slight inner-lol at your comment about The Witcher 3 being similar in scope to Zelda. Sorry, it's on another level entirely.

Are you honestly saying you wouldn't play a Zelda that looked like either The Witcher 3 or that video in the opening post? Like hell you wouldn't. We'd all play the shit out of it and you know it.

If that is truly how Nintendo see things, then I would say, yeah, they probably need to change and buck up their ideas.

Nintendo are obviously free to do what they want, but for me, the visuals for TP and SS were stale and the level of interactivity is somewhat primitive. Though I welcomed related inclusions like sprinting because it makes things a little more refreshing and gameplay a little bit dynamic.

My point is if Nintendo are making games based on some holy scripture perhaps its time for a New Testament!

Well Zelda Wii U is a clear example of how they go about designing a Zelda game with a "realistic" look (the main character is obviously celshaded and the game is heavily stylised, but it certainly features relatively realistic looking landmass)...

To lazily repeat myself from when the E3 2014 trailer was announced :p

Even singular rocks in Twilight Princess stand out as being something that you can specifically interact with, despite that having a somewhat realistic (albeit still heavily stylised) art style. Visual gameplay clarity is Nintendo's number 1 priority when it comes to art/graphic design; which is why they never really go for a photo-realistic look; even with hardware that is contemporary in spec for the time. I mean, there's nothing stopping them from making a game that looks like The Witcher 3, but it doesn't fit with their Gameplay First philosophy because "noisy" visual design can obscure the field of play.

This also applies to non-realistic games as well. Take the New Super Mario Bros games as an example. Ever notice how they never use foreground decorations in the levels? Or how the backgrounds are always muted in colour (or with a light depth of field applied) and relatively simple (some might even say boring looking) in terms of design? That's not them being lazy, it's entirely intentional because they want the player's focus to be on the actual platforms/enemies that they can jump on. With something like Rayman Origins/Legends, games where the beautiful art is the big focus, there are loads of times where you find yourself jumping onto parts of the background that you think are interactive, but actually aren't. In Mario? That never happens because they've removed all the visual "clutter" that can obscure the view of the action.

It's neat seeing old classics rendered in this way; they guy clearly has some crazy talent! It's just not something that Nintendo would ever actually attempt themselves because it compromises the playability of their games.

I've never had a problem understanding what needs to be done in Witcher or Rayman.

What you're describing isn't some grand trick that Nintendo has managed to figure out and is only achievable through restricting graphics (and I don't mean that in a negative way, but rather 'not-trying-to-achieve-realism' way), it's just good design.

Im sorry @Retro_Link - Can't. Not. Comment on it...But its Kakariko. :D

Its amazing how a bit of spit and polish, camera angles and added background noise improves the immersion of a game... In fact I reckon that lower camera angle alone would have made OOT that little bit more intimate.

Been doing my nut for days since I saw it! I apologise Retro but I had to edit your title, only just back on full forum view to do it :p

Finally got round to watching the vid too - beautiful yet not dull; as some seem to expect Zelda might become were it to heavily graphics up. It just makes me hnnnng for a 3D LttP, though. How glorious might such a thing be?