NEurope

Same here. I tried to force the update, which did nothing, and I tried using the update tool, which failed.

The taskbar now returns if I scroll to the bottom while I'm in Chrome. That's nice.

Same here. I tried to force the update, which did nothing, and I tried using the update tool, which failed.

To get the update tool to work for me I had to to create a bootable USB and then run the setup file from the USB.

My major issue has been despite running the preview previously and rolling back 8.1 will now not update to 10 and I've had all kinds of errors whilst trying to update 8.1 to the latest version to push the 10 update on to it but I'm going now.

So far I still hate the start menu compared to Windows 7. When you search for a setting like "users" you just get plagued by irrelevant apps and web search suggestions, when W7 would've brought up various settings, prioritising the control panel and then installed software. Also you could pin software like Word to the left side list, and then there would be drop-lists for recently opened files. Now pinned tiles have no such function, and the only way to have programs appear in a similar format is to make sure there is no tile, and wait for it to appear in the recent program list (at which point you can remove it, but not pin it).

So many things have been consolidated under "Settings", which isn't the same as Control Panel, but then Control Panel doesn't contain some aspects, like updates....

There's not much good to say. The task manager is much better, grouping processes etc. The taskbar now basically works like Ultramon on two screens which is great, no longer need extra software to run what should be built in. Visually I like some aspects, hate others like over-designed, over-sized menu/option screens, a few programs are still trying to act like they're hip and modern tablet apps. App switcher is good. Not had chance to use Cortana because frankly talking to your PC at work makes you look like a dick.

Program defaults have gone haywire. Even though I heeded some warnings and didn't choose to use Pictures etc, Pictures is still the top option whenever I open a jpg sent on skype, and there's no tick box to choose "always open in x". When you go to modify defaults manually, standard images are ticked for Pictures and can't be un-ticked :blank:

One positive is that everything is fairly configurable, and I imagine that will only improve over time. I removed almost everything from Start then dragged it smaller, changed my colour scheme, removed buttons I didn't need, switched Cortana to be just a button instead of taking up 15% of my taskbar real estate, etc etc. That said I had to download a 3rd party app to change that horrendously ugly login screen background....

Edited by Shorty

There is another way to force the upgrade here. Doesn't involve clearing folders or anything.

There is another way to force the upgrade here. Doesn't involve clearing folders or anything.

Does that way keep your personal files and programs installed though? I left my computer overnight and it didn't install Windows 10 at all....

EDIT:

That way didn't work I got the something happened something happened error.

Edited by flameboy

Does that way keep your personal files and programs installed though? I left my computer overnight and it didn't install Windows 10 at all....

EDIT:

I'll let you know, i'm currently in the process of upgrading it. Have backed up everything just in case.

EDIT:

Either use the tool to install it to USB or DVD. Then run the setup.exe straight from the device.

The taskbar now returns if I scroll to the bottom while I'm in Chrome. That's nice.

Spoke too soon :(

I got it the other day but I have problems with Chrome and certain sites now. It's kind of irritating as I use some of those sites a lot.

Everything's working perfect for me, literally not one problem.

It's really nice. It's quick and smooth. I've even started using Edge, it's a good browser. Light on features, but really quick.

mines just downloading windows 10 after a few hours of messing around! not windows installers fault, AVG tried to update, failed during the update and corrupted one of its DLL files which prevented me reinstalling or uninstalling it, had to roll back to a previous recovery of windows

SO

35% and counting, all reports i've heard is its better to go to windows 10 if you have 8.1, which the bloody swiping and pop up side bars are really getting on my nerves with now!

Been using Windows 10 for nearly 2 weeks, it's great. I had only 1 hiccup though, Windows 10 decided to restore that annoyance of my PC shutting down at start-up. Quick fix, and it's all good again. Cleared out 8.1 from my HDD, did a quick clean-up and it works much faster and is more responsive than 8.1 ever was. I love the integration of the metro apps into the start menu.

I'm loving windows 10! the only hiccup is the KLM keyboard manager doesn't seem to work, so my fancy backlit keyboard is one block colour, i'll find a fix for that easy enough

PC hit another hiccup last night, it decided to remove the DLL's from most of my programs. So i didn't have full access to Chrome (couldn't upload pictures, access bookmarks or access the store), Outlook (missing DLL) and many others. Tried installing Firefox as a replacement for Chrome, wouldn't allow it. And Kaspersky stopped working on the grounds of "compatibility issues".

So, backed up everything and basically rebuilt the PC with a complete fresh Windows 10 install. Have to admit, it's going faster than before. However, the 1 program i couldn't re-install was Kaspersky (again, the 2015 version isn't compatible with 10, even after downloading the latest version before hand). So i'm using the built in stuff for now.

Just overclocked my work machine from 3.4GHz to 4.2GHz and upped the RAM to 16GB. That plus Windows 10 = absolutely flying :)

I installed it.

UI/UX - I like it, visually it's very appealing, I never used windows 8, but quite like being able to customise colours and tiles. 10/10

Privacy - My issue with this, is that it took quite a long time to turn everything off. I did a custom install and it still took quite a long time. This countered with the fact that Microsoft still want to check your HDD and I'm nervous about it.

(It also doesn't help I discuss this with Linux developers who are very anti windows.)

Overall, I'll stick with it for a little bit longer, but I'm worried about privacy with it so far.

Had a motherboard fail on the family computer so had to get it replaced which meant Windows 10 was no longer activated on that machine so I've had to do a clean install of Windows 8. Currently sitting waiting for 156 updates to install. And then I have to install 8.1 before I can put Windows 10 on. :blank::shakehead