NEurope
Debug Mode

Dragon Quest VIII - 3DS

Earlier then I expected.

Jessica has a new voice actor, think it's the same one from Heroes.

XI's English release is still probably a way off though.

So much to play in the meantime. I can wait!

My copy was just dispatched. Looking forward to finally giving the game a proper try. I had the PS2 version originally but never really got too far into it.

My copy was just dispatched. Looking forward to finally giving the game a proper try. I had the PS2 version originally but never really got too far into it.

I completely forgot this was coming out this week. Not sure if i'm gonna get it yet though. Both Yakuza 0 ( finally gonna try the series out ) and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 are out on Tuesday.

I completely forgot this was coming out this week. Not sure if i'm gonna get it yet though. Both Yakuza 0 ( finally gonna try the series out ) and Kingdom Hearts 2.8 are out on Tuesday.

Thats my problem as well, I've got Yakuza 0 preordered and I'm probably more interested in playing that. The start of this year is way too packed!

Thats my problem as well, I've got Yakuza 0 preordered and I'm probably more interested in playing that. The start of this year is way too packed!

Tell me about it. There's Tales of Beseria and Digimon World hitting next week as well!

For those that know their Dragon Quest...would this be a good entry to the series? With a eye on the DQ games coming to Switch, it's a series I would quite like to get involved with, especially if there are a good amount of hours of gameplay involved :)

For those that know their Dragon Quest...would this be a good entry to the series? With a eye on the DQ games coming to Switch, it's a series I would quite like to get involved with, especially if there are a good amount of hours of gameplay involved :)

Yeah it's the best Dragon Quest game there is.

Well I was thinking about doing some extra work when I got home today, but I was so busy today I forgot about this coming out, so it was a pleasant surprise to find my copy waiting for me at home. Needless to say, but all productivity went out of the window.

I just want the cliff notes on how this port is compared to the original. I'm sure there are sacrifices but I'm curious where.

I just want the cliff notes on how this port is compared to the original. I'm sure there are sacrifices but I'm curious where.

Nicked from GAF. It does focus on the positive changes though, so it's not everything.

No random battles! Enemies now appear wandering the field.

Game speed can be toggled in battles, making them go by much faster than the original PS2 game.

Creations with the alchemy pot are now instantaneous! No more pacing around for something to finish combining.

The bottom screen features a mini-map as well as quick access to fast-travel options once they are unlocked.

Stats have been adjusted and tweaked.

New story scenes

FREE weekly item downloads until September 2017.

In addition to the game's already extra-meaty post-game, there are two NEW post-game dungeons to explore.

Two newly-playable characters! If you played the PS2 original, you've met them already as Red and Morrie. While battles still only allow four characters fighting at a time, the leftover 2 characters can be swapped in without wasting a turn, Final Fantasy X-style.

A photo mode that allows for photography of your posing party, or menacing monsters. These photos can then be shared via StreetPass to earn items.

Blue and Purple-colored chests now appear in-game and replenish daily, granting rare and sometimes exclusive items if you're lucky!

Unlockable alternate costumes for everybody, instead of just two characters.

Voice acting for all the new story content.

New monster arena content, new recipes, new monsters, new items!

An all-new optional ending.

Here's a visual comparison.

The 3DS European version has a Midi soundtrack, I'm not sure if that differs from the original PS2 version, which I think had an orchestrated soundtrack.

I might be wrong about this though.

Edited by Glen-i

Thanks! The lower details don't bother me, but I'm relatively turned off by the shift in colour warmth.

Thanks! The lower details don't bother me, but I'm relatively turned off by the shift in colour warmth.

That's there to compensate for the 3DS' screen's low colour saturation. It looks more like the PS2 version on the actual device.

Most 3DS games are overly saturated and bright for this very reason (OoT 3D VS the original being the most obvious example of this I can think of).

The special items distribution has started, you can download a Candy Cane scythe for Yangus.

Ta @Ike, glad to see Square's rolling out the items over here.

You must have JavaScript enabled on your device to view Miiverse posts that have been embedded in a website. View post in Miiverse

Methinks it's not gonna help me with Memories Lane though...

You can download "Ye Olde Sword of Erdrick" now.

With some Alchemy (Mix it with a Liquid Metal Sword and an Orichalcum), you can get the best Sword Red can equip.

Hey guys, sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a question to ask. 

I’ve never played a Dragon Quest game before, but after extensive research, I’ve decided to start with VIII (please chime in if you think I should start elsewhere?), and plan to play through it next year as I begin to plough my way through an enormous gaming bucket list. My current plan is to have played the game prior to XI’s western release so that I have some (albeit limited) context and history with the series, before circling back and playing IV - VI, and venturing off from there. 

Having a fully functional PS2 and New 3DS XL, my question is: which version of this game should I purchase and play through? 

As someone entirely new to the series, I’m a bit lost, in all honesty. For instance, the western 3DS version lacks an orchestral soundtrack (unless added with custom firmware) and, due to physical screen size, makes it much harder to appreciate Toriyama’s art style, in my completely uncertified opinion, and these are two things which I would love to enjoy in the game. However, on the other hand, the 3DS version features many quality of life improvements, such as quick saving, re-balancing, speed-up options and instant alchemy, as well as having new playable characters, scenarios, items, and dungeons. The portability aspect of the 3DS console is a moot one for myself, as I rarely ever use my 3DS outside of the comfort of my home.

Personally, I’m leaning towards the PS2 version of the game, but I would greatly appreciate any input and direction with regards to which version to get :)

Edited by Julius Caesar

16 minutes ago, Julius Caesar said:

Hey guys, sorry for bumping this thread, but I have a question to ask. 

I’ve never played a Dragon Quest game before, but after extensive research, I’ve decided to start with VIII (please chime in if you think I should start elsewhere?), and plan to play through it next year as I begin to plough my way through an enormous gaming bucket list. My current plan is to have played the game prior to XI’s western release so that I have some (albeit limited) context and history with the series, before circling back and playing IV - VI, and venturing off from there. 

Having a fully functional PS2 and New 3DS XL, my question is: which version of this game should I purchase and play through? 

As someone entirely new to the series, I’m a bit lost, in all honesty. For instance, the western 3DS version lacks an orchestral soundtrack (unless added with custom firmware) and, due to physical screen size, makes it much harder to appreciate Toriyama’s art style, in my completely uncertified opinion, and these are two things which I would love to enjoy in the game. However, on the other hand, the 3DS version features many quality of life improvements, such as quick saving, re-balancing, speed-up options and instant alchemy, as well as having new playable characters, scenarios, items, and dungeons. The portability aspect of the 3DS console is a moot one for myself, as I rarely ever use my 3DS outside of the comfort of my home.

Personally, I’m leaning towards the PS2 version of the game, but I would greatly appreciate any input and direction with regards to which version to get :)

If you have a TV you actually like playing on, I'd go for the PS2 original.  The 3DS version may have extras, but it's also been snipped quite a bit.  DQ VIII on the PS2 was my first foray into Dragon Quest, and I couldn't have asked for a better introduction.  Just be careful you don't sell anything too valuable, and you can't reset your skill points either (not sure about 3DS), so it's best to plan that carefully (I'm happy to advise).