NEurope
Debug Mode

Dragon Quest VIII - 3DS

Nice to see it finally being re-released. Bit of a shame it's on 3DS though, I was hoping more for a home console or at least something that looks a bit better. Still though, it'll be nice to finally be able to play it properly.

Gutted that it's not a HD version. Also with it being on 3DS it may not even reach these shores. I mean we are still waiting for DQVII to arrive over here.

mmm

how long do I give it before importing japanese version.

just cant see this coming to the west.

It won't be localised but it's good for Nintendo. A big title for the 3ds to get so late in its lifetime.

So for Square-Enix it makes more sense to make portable scaled-back versions of consoles classics like Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS and mobile platforms yet no HD re-release for current home consoles?

They've now released Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD on PS3, PSV and PS4, why not just do the same for DQVIII and release it on the Wii U in addition to the 3DS?

Do they not think it would sell? :blank:

So for Square-Enix it makes more sense to make portable scaled-back versions of consoles classics like Dragon Quest VIII for 3DS and mobile platforms yet no HD re-release for current home consoles?

They've now released Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD on PS3, PSV and PS4, why not just do the same for DQVIII and release it on the Wii U in addition to the 3DS?

Dragon Quest is most popular in Japan, ergo, a 3DS version makes much more sense :p

Come on dude.. You know there is no chance at all or would ever get a Wii U release. Lol

I haven't got a problem with this being on 3DS over home consoles. Just a shame it won't get a western release.

Their ambition with DQVIII seems to be to put it on as many formats inferior to the original as possible. Give me something on PS4! They're already making their next main DQ game for home console so prime your audience by releasing this first!

Dragon Quest is most popular in Japan, ergo, a 3DS version makes much more sense :p

True... it's just a shame that it will now likely not see a HD re-release even on Playstation platforms, or at least not for a while.

I just always thought that the graphical style of the game would lend itself well to such a release.

Do we think it will be significantly scaled-back for this portable release? I can see how DQVII can work as it's a PS1 game but with DQVIII being a PS2 game originally there will have to be some compromises just like there would have been with Tales of the Abyss.

I'd still play this if it made its way over here on 3DS but again the chances of that happening are slim which is a shame as DQ has always been a series I've been interested in and would definitely invest more in should there be re-releases.

Not that there's anything wrong with the original releases, but it's good to have options. : peace:

It won't be localised but it's good for Nintendo. A big title for the 3ds to get so late in its lifetime.

I'd say there's a good chance of this being localised as the translation is already done, unlike VII which needed to be entirely redone.

Sweet jesus this is amazing news! i've been meaning to replay this for ages so a 3ds rerelease is very welcome!

I think this is probably a good time to start playing through the Dragon Quest games that I have, in reverse order... naturally. ;)

Seems only right seeing as I started with Dragon Quest IX on the DS. :heh:

To my knowledge these are the DQ titles I have...

DQIX DS PAL

DQVIII PS2 NTSC

DWVII PS NTSC

DQV DS PAL

DWIII GB PAL

A few gaps to fill in as I still need to buy DQIV and DQ VI on the DS plus DWI&II on the Game Boy but I don't hold out much hope in owning the latter, I think I'm quite lucky just to own a boxed copy of Dragon Warrior III as it is. :)

I really need to get into playing these games seeing as I'm in the process of organising my collection, boxing all of the cardboard games inside box protectors, it will be nice to have easy access to DWIII again as it has always intrigued me, would be a good game to play on the Retron. : peace:

At least this thread has renewed my interest in the series, of course I'll pick this up on the 3DS if it does get localised, I have a feeling that DQVIII is one of those games that I'd want an excuse to play through *again. :D

*Even though I'd still want to see a home console HD version somewhere down the line... it has to happen one day! :indeed:

I'd say there's a good chance of this being localised as the translation is already done, unlike VII which needed to be entirely redone.

In theory yes but this is S-E remember.. Don't get your hopes up.

WTF?!! :laughing:

Dragon Quest VIII was one of the best gaming experiences of my life, along with Wind Waker and Landstalker - real "love and cherish" territory.

The funny thing is though that I tried to replay it recently (on PS2) and found it could do with a lot of improvements. I used to think there was no point in it being on 3DS (and I'd still prefer it on their next handheld), but replaying it, I realised the polygon models are basic enough that the 3DS could probably cope with it, and still have room for improvement.

It just needs to be made a little bit faster - things like menus, and the ability to cut short battle animations.

Overall - will buy if it's released over here, but won't be gutted if it's not.

WTF?!! :laughing:

Dragon Quest VIII was one of the best gaming experiences of my life, along with Wind Waker and Landstalker - real "love and cherish" territory.

The funny thing is though that I tried to replay it recently (on PS2) and found it could do with a lot of improvements. I used to think there was no point in it being on 3DS (and I'd still prefer it on their next handheld), but replaying it, I realised the polygon models are basic enough that the 3DS could probably cope with it, and still have room for improvement.

It just needs to be made a little bit faster - things like menus, and the ability to cut short battle animations.

Overall - will buy if it's released over here, but won't be gutted if it's not.

Hopefully we'll get the original menu back which will speed that up. Agree about the battle speed. The DQVII remake's battles were real quick.

Red and Morrie can join the party in the 3DS version.

DMVal0K.jpg

Looking good, though bit hard to tell for sure. The Japanese version is also getting voice acting so good chance if it get localised we'll get voices back as well.

The voices were superb on that game, especially Yangus "Bob Hoskins" the Bandit

Square Enix made a lot of Dragon Quest fans happy - Japanese ones, at least - when it confirmed that it would be bringing the eighth game in the series to the Nintendo 3DS. However, there's a bit of bad news to report - the forthcoming RPG won't include autostereoscopic 3D support.

We can only assume this move has been taken to ensure the game runs at an acceptable frame rate - it's a port of the impressive PS2 original, after all - but it will still prove to be something of a disappointment to fans who were hoping to see the classic remastered in glasses-free 3D.

Seems a bit of a waste. ::shrug:

Seems a bit of a waste. ::shrug:

Yeah, from everything we've seen so far it looks like a port from the iOS version rather than the PS2 original...

It's probably gonna be a very shoddy port... (and no S3D is pathetic. It's like half the point of a 3DS port!)

iOS port? :blank:

I'm out!

Besides, the first time I play this should be on the big screen.

I'll get around to playing my NTSC PS2 copy, soon... :)

Yeah Gaf has done some detective work and comparisons make it look closer to the iOS port, some screen shots make it look worse - images from a hill over looking the first town and the forests and grass present in the PS2 version are missing from both the 3DS and iOS ports, with the 3DS having even less (assuming things don't pop in as you get closer)

Its really disapointing

but there are new part members....still tempted to buy it if it comes west, depending on reviews....but no 3D man this game was made for it