NEurope
Fused King

NINTENDO @ E3: Let the Hype juices flow

There is also Atari.

However, let's not assume that it'd be Nintendo as it is now just third party. It'd require a lot of downsizing for them to survive with it. We'd have to have annualised games for them to stay afloat. We wouldn't see smaller series often, if at all.

Nintendo should just build a proper console (I do like the Wii U to be clear, but they should build what most people want), have big games ready at the start to sell a lot of consoles and inside the first year (Zelda, Metroid, Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D, Super Mario Bross - everything else can come later) and make it easier for third parties to make games for them and that's it, as they have the biggest number of great IP's that they could offer while other console makers couldn't and it should be enough to become TOP again.

I think it's quite clear that it's not the problem that they can't, but for some reasons they make bad decisions in certain areas.

To be fair Sega is the most relevant comparison as they manufactured consoles as well games, whereas the other two didn't :)

Just a shame Shenmue financially ruined them...*runs* ;)

It's actually a very poor example because of the financial situation Sega found themselves in prior to the switch. It's also only 1 example, which makes for a very poor indicator of truth.

But hey, it's easy to just say "this happened to them, so this is what will always happen" if it happens to align with somebody's pre-existing opinion. :heh:

Reggie is a joker. Since when was Splatoon viewed like that?

Reggie has no idea on the games we want.

Yeah, they did. You see, people were hoping for good games. Instead they got...well, what they got. That's shafting their fans.

It'd be like if you paid to go to a concert (invested money in a console), then all they played was their less popular songs, and they played them badly (bad/unpopular games). You would consider yourself shafted.

No it would be like if they played fantasy songs for the opening two thirds, then hit a rough patch for half an hour.

Actually, back last year there were lots of people complaining about the fact it used gyro, that it looked like an eShop game etc.

Reggie is a joke. He says he plays video games and he spews a lot of crap about them and just in general he spews crap. His display in Smash during the NWC was worse than a 5 year old. He does in his b0110x play video games.

I just looked at articles from last year and most do worry about the controls to be fair. I remember personally I was a bit disappointed at its reveal in the direct. It was a universal hit, it's been a slow creeper.

However crap the e3 was, there is FAR more wii u games than other consoles I want to play this year. Though maybe Xbox one could compete actually if I had one!

Another reason to HATE that CLUELESS LIAR Reggie!!! He says he plays video games then had a poor showing in Smash. Don't you just HATE that LIAR!! [/5yearold][/Wii]

Another reason to HATE that CLUELESS LIAR Reggie!!! He says he plays video games then had a poor showing in Smash. Don't you just HATE that LIAR!! [/5yearold][/Wii]

Give it a rest Ronnie

Nintendo fans are the toughest to please. They want new stuff but they also want a Starfox game exactly like Lylat Wars. Nintendo are single handedly supporting their first HD console and given they innovate gameplay-wise more than the other two should be cut a bit of slack.

Let's say they followed Sony and Microsoft's model and didn't do Nintendo Directs all year round, and pumped every single new reveal into E3, they would have an incredible presentation every year. That's 5-6 Directs worth of announcements and reveals put into an already packed E3 set. It's to Nintendo's credit that even with bi-monthly Directs they still managed to win E3 last year.

They had an off year this time around, at a time when they're clearly devoting their primary attention to their new hardware. The hatred and vitriol is OTT. It was an awful show filled with poor games, but some context is required.

Nintendo fans are the toughest to please. They want new stuff but they also want a Starfox game exactly like Lylat Wars.

Well, there are three common complaints about Star Fox Zero:

- Graphics

- Too much like Lylat Wars

- Not enough like Lylat Wars

Who's saying it's not enough like Lylat Wars? It couldn't be anymore like it. The primary complaint is about the visuals, with some also having issues with the controls.

There is also Atari.

However, let's not assume that it'd be Nintendo as it is now just third party. It'd require a lot of downsizing for them to survive with it. We'd have to have annualised games for them to stay afloat. We wouldn't see smaller series often, if at all.

I'm not sure that is necessarily the case. Obviously their hardware division would fall by the wayside. However in terms of their franchises they arguably already annualized Mario, in some way shape or form we end up with multiple Mario games a year. I also think the strength of their franchises is so much larger than Sega and Atari ever were the would sell way more on multiple consoles that those two ever did.

Also let's face it we see less smaller titles anyway from Nintendo and there is space for those games on digital marketplaces.

Also let's face it we see less smaller titles anyway from Nintendo and there is space for those games on digital marketplaces.

We really don't. We get a crapload of them

Yeah going third party has worked well for the other companies that have done it :p

Going third party means that you won't be getting the games you want ever again.

Won't be getting the games I want? I call bollocks to this.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, Mario Kart and Smash would all sell better on a Sony or Microsoft console than they would on a Nintendo one. I've no doubt in that at all!

I've no doubt they'd continue making these ones!

These are the only ones I would truly want... as long as the multiplayer ones have proper online too and not the half-arsed attempt Nintendo usually give us.

Won't be getting the games I want? I call bollocks to this.

Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Xenoblade, Mario Kart and Smash would all sell better on a Sony or Microsoft console than they would on a Nintendo one. I've no doubt in that at all!

I've no doubt they'd continue making these ones!

These are the only ones I would truly want... as long as the multiplayer ones have proper online too and not the half-arsed attempt Nintendo usually give us.

I doubt that A LOT.

I don't, not in the slightest, they'd sell plenty more, here's why:

Almost all those that buy Nintendo consoles would buy one of the others, they'd still buy those Nintendo games and then so would a portion of the other console owners that don't buy Nintendo consoles... of course they'd sell more!

I doubt that a lot as well, the kids/COD generation don't care about Mario or Zelda. There are no gory headshots.

Find it hilarious when people say the gamecube was loads better etc etc forums like this didn't say the same, they hated it, the n64 was loads better, except during r n64 people moaned about that too, no games, lost games to sony, that just had final fantasy 7 released and it's the world's best gsme.... :)

Im pretty sure we'll look back in the Wii u very fondly in the long run.

I remember this forum was pretty brutal about the GC, but you know I loved my GC. I would rate the Wii as worse than the Wii U, but I would say the gap between the GC and Wii U is pretty sizeable.

The GC as a piece of electronics was awesome, if they had included internal data storage and a modem, fixed the shell to look nice, the console itself was awesome.

Wii U in fairness has sorted that, but as a piece of electronics the only remarkable thing that "excites" me is the low energy it draws. Beyond that there isn't really anything that I can say it does well... the gamepad could have been something too, but it is too unfocused in what it does. I think it would have been better if they had spent each year focusing on one element of it functionality. One year with off screen play, second year with asynchronous game play, third year looking around your environment, fourth using it as a secondary interface for menu's. I don't know if that would have worked so well... but if they had just had it as a little neat extra.. then each year let us know.. oh by the way, your gamepad can also do this!

Like splatoon.. great game and all.. but I would play it more if it had off screen play. I think all games should have a basic mode that supports that....

There's a reason why games like Sonic Racing, Rayman Legends etc. still sold better on the Wii U than the PS3 & 360 and PS4 and Xbox One.

I think Nintendo hit a sweet spot with the Wii.

It was a commercial smash and made them loads of money. But more to the point it was easy to develop for - both in terms of cost, development team size and length of the development cycle. It suited them.

When you look at Nintendo's output during that era, it was massive and it seemed like they were always bringing back franchises, and giving the players what they wanted:

Two Mario Galaxy Games

The first 2D home Mario since the SNES

Two Kirby games

Donkey Kong back with a bang

Fire Emblem

Excite Truck

Punch Out

Xenoblade

Sin and Punishment 2

Two Zelda games

and many many more!

Nintendo haven't adapted well to the stress and extra strain of HD development. But have any Japanese developers? I would argue that all the Japanese greats have failed to keep up and are past their best.

My biggest worry about Nintendo going third party is that they lose their smaller IPs and just become a shadow of their former selves releasing cash cows and not much else.

But on the flip side of the coin, if Nintendo remain as a hardware manufacturer, will we ever see another Battalion Wars, F-Zero, Wave Race etc?

It is such a difficult decision as to whether they should go third party. In some respects I would love to see them turning out games on that basis, but at the same time I would worry about them losing their creative drive and just playing it too safe, I don't want Nintendo to become Sega.

i don't think going third party is the answer (and realistically probably not even feasible) primarily they just need to ensure their next console is easy to programme for/compatible with PS/XB operating systems so they get ports of all the 3rd party software and secondary they improve their online and voice.

I've got over 25 Wii U games and 3 PS4 games so they can't be doing everything wrong.

I think the last couple of gens has been a case of having a nintendo console and one of either PS or XB to get all the games you would want. I don't see why that needs to change in the future.

An alternative argument would be why don't EA make a console? If you could only play EA games on a dedicated console who would still buy PS or XB?

i don't think going third party is the answer (and realistically probably not even feasible) primarily they just need to ensure their next console is easy to programme for/compatible with PS/XB operating systems so they get ports of all the 3rd party software and secondary they improve their online and voice.

I've got over 25 Wii U games and 3 PS4 games so they can't be doing everything wrong.

I think the last couple of gens has been a case of having a nintendo console and one of either PS or XB to get all the games you would want. I don't see why that needs to change in the future.

An alternative argument would be why don't EA make a console? If you could only play EA games on a dedicated console who would still buy PS or XB?

They need COD, Battlefield and couple of other games which are very popular and with their library and good marketing they should be able to sell a big number of consoles and after that other third party games would come easily.

As I've said before, Microsoft and Sony don't have so many games, it's mostly third party, while with Nintendo is the opposite and I think that it's easier to bring third party games to you instead of having to make NEW own games.

There's a reason why games like Sonic Racing, Rayman Legends etc. still sold better on the Wii U than the PS3 & 360 and PS4 and Xbox One.

Yeah but if you add those sales together it equals more. That's the simple reason games would sell more on another console.