NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

Sounds like the Wii U version is definitely the one to get

Sounds like the Wii U version is definitely the one to get

If you backed it in the Kickstarter and thus contributed to its very existence, the one to get will be the one you already picked, since there's no changing your mind :p

I'm confident the PS4 version will provide, at minimum, the same quality of experience.

Well Super Mario 3D World, and especially its spin-off Captain Toad, is on par IMO

Just have that at 1080p and we'll all be happy.

3D World and Captain Toad look far, far better than this. Not just in terms of visuals, but camera control and especially animation. It's no surprise, Nintendo are king with this sort of thing, I just don't see what they can learn from this game's graphics which don't look anything special IMO.

Please keep in mind that SM3DW and Captain Toad have much smaller level's than this with a much smaller draw distance (especially true on Captain Toad). Here they are rendering a full 3D environment that allows for a signifacant amount of traversal, which is naturally much more CPU and GPU intensive. It's like comparing Sunshine to Galaxy - the former is having to do a lot more.

I'm confident the PS4 version will provide, at minimum, the same quality of experience.

Even if that turns out to be true, which I'm very dubious about, I'll stick with the version the devs are prioritising. Wouldn't be surprised to see some easter eggs in the Wii U version.

I'm getting it on PC and Wii U, so both being worked on by Playtonic is great for me.

Please keep in mind that SM3DW and Captain Toad have much smaller level's than this with a much smaller draw distance (especially true on Captain Toad). Here they are rendering a full 3D environment that allows for a signifacant amount of traversal, which is naturally much more CPU and GPU intensive. It's like comparing Sunshine to Galaxy - the former is having to do a lot more.

Almost no-one ever takes that into account...

I'd say Playtonic is a much smaller team than the Captain Toad Brigade as well, comparing those two visually is a bit unfair, isn't it?

I think it looks great. Some of those abilities the two can use look a lot of fun.

I'm cracking up at Yooka's gibberish voice though, it sounds super posh (Well, if gibberish can be posh...). I love it! It's gonna be one of those sounds that'll easily put a smile on my face, no matter how much I hear it.

Like Banjo's hilariously manly voice in Tooie, or King Daphnes' monosyllabic grunts in Hyrule Warriors.

Almost no-one ever takes that into account...

I'd say Playtonic is a much smaller team than the Captain Toad Brigade as well, comparing those two visually is a bit unfair, isn't it?

I think it looks great. Some of those abilities the two can use look a lot of fun.

I'm cracking up at Yooka's gibberish voice though, it sounds super posh (Well, if gibberish can be posh...). I love it! It's gonna be one of those sounds that'll easily put a smile on my face, no matter how much I hear it.

Like Banjo's hilariously manly voice in Tooie, or King Daphnes' monosyllabic grunts in Hyrule Warriors.

Of course comparing them is unfair, one is from Playtonic, the other is from Nintendo the kings of 3D platformers, I was just responding to the suggestion that Nintendo should learn from the visuals of this game for Mario NX.

Size != quality.

I'd rather a game with fun, tight levels that looks good to one with huge stuff where it's a slog to get through that also looks good.

Please note that I'm not saying this looks bad. It doesn't. However, the original statement was that this is what Nintendo should aspire to and that's an erroneous assertion when Nintendo's games look this good already.

Size != quality.

But when it comes to CPU usage, the size of an area is always going to have some kind of impact, especially in the visuals.

Please note that I'm not saying this looks bad. It doesn't. However, the original statement was that this is what Nintendo should aspire to and that's an erroneous assertion when Nintendo's games look this good already.

I'm under the impression that those people saying that's what Nintendo should aspire to were not talking about the visuals.

Would I be right in guessing that those people want Nintendo to make a game like Super Mario 64/Banjo-Kazooie/etc?

Personally, I hope they go the Banjo-Tooie route and make massive worlds to explore. But apparently, I'm weird and am the only person on the internet to like Tooie more than Kazooie.

Personally, I hope they go the Banjo-Tooie route and make massive worlds to explore. But apparently, I'm weird and am the only person on the internet to like Tooie more than Kazooie.

Well, you're in for a treat. The game actually satisfies both audiences. The levels are all quite small sizes, there's plenty to explore but about Banjo Kazooie size.

Once you've secured enough 'pagies' (the new Jiggies) you can then open up the next level OR you can expand the existing level, add on new areas to explore. In other words, you can make individual worlds as big as Banjo Tooie.

That's what I saw when Andy showed me the game. Very interesting idea.

Size != quality.

I'd rather a game with fun, tight levels that looks good to one with huge stuff where it's a slog to get through that also looks good.

I never ever claimed otherwise. I have no idea why you're suddenly making statements like this...? At least read my post!

Interesting to see the reaction this game has prompted. Whilst I think the game looks great, I have no doubt that if Nintendo ever go back to making 3D platform-adventure games, they would look much better than this! This game looks great but come on, Nintendo would take it to the next level. That said I agree that it would be great to see Nintendo going back to making something on this level of scope again :)

Even if that turns out to be true, which I'm very dubious about, I'll stick with the version the devs are prioritising. Wouldn't be surprised to see some easter eggs in the Wii U version.

I would rather have the version that runs at a higher resolution and frame rate, which the PS4 version should be so long as there is not some enforced parity bullshit in place.

From the sounds of things, they are working on the Wii U version because it is most different, whereas they can just make a PC version and that is fairly straightforward to port (owing to PC similarities to PS4/X1). I am expecting the PS4 version to run well as these guys seem very respectable and are making the game on their own terms (ie. they are not meeting tight publisher deadlines so no need to force out half-finished crap that runs poorly). They are also fairly small, and new, so I can see them working hard to check this version once it is made to ensure the quality is there, since they have a reputation to build up. Plus the extra time they are taking now to polish it makes me very confident indeed that they will deliver.

Regarding extra content; I would think if they put in extra content that it will either be on all versions or there'll be equivalent content additions in other versions. They must be acutely aware that nobody wants to feel like their version is getting less content.

Edited by Sheikah

3D World and Captain Toad look far, far better than this. Not just in terms of visuals, but camera control and especially animation. It's no surprise, Nintendo are king with this sort of thing, I just don't see what they can learn from this game's graphics which don't look anything special IMO.

In fairness Toad was limited in terms of its camera because of its setup (and Mario to an extent).

And who said that it's just graphics they can learn about? Character design maybe (when was the last time Nintendo came up with an interesting character in the Mario series? Rosalina?) but there's certainly more to a game than graphics.

And who said that it's just graphics they can learn about? Character design maybe (when was the last time Nintendo came up with an interesting character in the Mario series? Rosalina?) but there's certainly more to a game than graphics.

I was replying to this

Absolutely stunning visuals. Nintendo definitely need to look at it to see what Mario NX should be like ^^

And I don't think they need to learn anything about character design.

This game looks extremely dated, it looks like an upgraded N64 game, obviously that's part of the appeal, but I'm not sure what it can teach Nintendo. It can teach Sony and Microsoft a hell of a lot more on the other hand...

This game looks extremely dated, it looks like an upgraded N64 game

You should get your eyes checked.

I'm not talking about visual fidelity, more about the game's look and feel. The art style, animation and character design look like an N64 game that was upgraded to modern standards, but still retaining the feel of Banjo. I'm not knocking the game, that's obviously what they were going for and it works, especially in a nostalgic sense.

The art style, animation and character design look like an N64 game that was upgraded to modern standards

Disagree, but each to their own.

Disagree, but each to their own.

I think an interview posted in here... the developers themselves state they were going for an N64 feel but in HD.... so in this instance it would look like he's spot on..

Although aside from that one comment :confused:

I love the game as it is and think this will be my next purchase!

I think an interview posted in here... the developers themselves state they were going for an N64 feel but in HD....

I still don't think the games looks like that ;)

Got in before me. Doesn't look in any way like 64-era games IMO. They are going for a game that feels like the original, but that doesn't mean it looks anything like a game made on N64.

Edited by Sheikah

I was replying to this

And I don't think they need to learn anything about character design.

This game looks extremely dated, it looks like an upgraded N64 game, obviously that's part of the appeal, but I'm not sure what it can teach Nintendo. It can teach Sony and Microsoft a hell of a lot more on the other hand...

I read it as two disparate statements but fair enough.

Got in before me. Doesn't look in any way like 64-era games IMO. They are going for a game that feels like the original, but that doesn't mean it looks anything like a game made on N64.

I didn't say it looked like it was made on N64, I said it looked like an N64 game that had been upgraded to modern hardware, which IMO, it clearly does, and which is exactly what the developer wanted...

I think an interview posted in here... the developers themselves state they were going for an N64 feel but in HD

Then why are you talking about 'looks' (your words) if what you're talking about is really more about gameplay then? It...really doesn't look like an N64 game. It might play like a 64 game but that is a totally different thing. Super Mario 3D world plays like a cross between Super Mario Bros 3 (world map structure/level themes such as ghost houses) and Mario 64 (3D Mario). Why are you suggesting going back to 64 roots is a bad thing? Nintendo would do well to go back to its 64 roots, rather than go more 'bitesize' with its levels! I would kill for 64 style levels rather than the mostly small areas we got with SM3DW. I bet I'm not the only one!

Edited by Sheikah

To me, it looks like the first great collectible-based playformer since the N64. There have been other great platformers in other genres (Uncharted, Sonic, Ratchet & Clank, etc), but nothing truly great in this form of platformer.

Then why are you talking about 'looks' (your words) if what you're talking about is really more about gameplay then? It...really doesn't look like an N64 game. It might play like a 64 game but that is a totally different thing. Super Mario 3D world plays like a cross between Super Mario Bros 3 (world map structure/level themes such as ghost houses) and Mario 64 (3D Mario). Why are you suggesting going back to 64 roots is a bad thing? Nintendo would do well to go back to its 64 roots, rather than go more 'bitesize' with its levels! I would kill for 64 style levels rather than the mostly small areas we got with SM3DW. I bet I'm not the only one!

I never really felt that Mario fit Mario 64 or Sunshine. It just didn't feel 100% right. Galaxy is much better, as it's more focused and more platforming rather than exploration.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to Nintendo doing another 3D adventure like 64 or Sunshine, but I think it shouldn't be Mario.