NEurope
Wii

Yooka-Laylee

I don't know... I think if they remade sunshine, but with delfino being 100% traversable.... just have the oceans around the island having a current that pushes you back to the isle so that you can never swim more than 2 minutes away from land (hated the "glass" barriers they had in the ocean - they weren't necessary!!) I think it would be a pretty cool game actually. just remembered the attachment that lets you run on water... so just have big waves that knock you back... and then the current sucks you right back to the "border" :P

But yeah.. a fully open world HD mario sunshine... I think that would be awesome, and feasible.

But in the meanwhile, this game is looking like something to look forward to. I wonder if it will be released before or after Zelda...

I never really felt that Mario fit Mario 64 or Sunshine. It just didn't feel 100% right. Galaxy is much better, as it's more focused and more platforming rather than exploration.

Now, I wouldn't be opposed to Nintendo doing another 3D adventure like 64 or Sunshine, but I think it shouldn't be Mario.

I think a 3D and semi-3D Mario can exist side by side in the same way 3D World and NSMB do, especially now that Mario Sports games and Party are once in a blue moon, we're not over saturated with Mario like we were in the GameCube days.

And I think Mario is a perfect fit for those kinds of games, Mario 64 was the first Mario game that blew me away and it's still my favourite to this day, with Sunshine a close second. I think people who grew up with N64/ GameCube view the 3D titles in the same way SNES kids view the 2D games so it's not fair to say Mario doesn't fit these sorts of games.

I don't know... I think if they remade sunshine, but with delfino being 100% traversable.... just have the oceans around the island having a current that pushes you back to the isle so that you can never swim more than 2 minutes away from land (hated the "glass" barriers they had in the ocean - they weren't necessary!!) I think it would be a pretty cool game actually. just remembered the attachment that lets you run on water... so just have big waves that knock you back... and then the current sucks you right back to the "border" :P

But yeah.. a fully open world HD mario sunshine... I think that would be awesome, and feasible.

But in the meanwhile, this game is looking like something to look forward to. I wonder if it will be released before or after Zelda...

I would love a full open world Mario Sunshine and it's something that Miyamoto wanted, a connected world, but couldn't achieve with the GameCube hardware. That's why you see different levels in the background though and why the layout of sunshine is so great. Imagine climbing the mountain and finding gelato beach on the other side

I think people who grew up with N64/ GameCube view the 3D titles in the same way SNES kids view the 2D games so it's not fair to say Mario doesn't fit these sorts of games.

I grew up with 2d mario games.. I don't enjoy the feel of mario 64 (nor the ds version) Mario sunshine again I didn't like first time round, so much so that I returned the game and got my money back! but then I got it for a christmas present... did a fake "thank you", played it a little... and it "clicked" and I really enjoyed it.

I would say a 2d mario and a 3d mario are very different games, just like the 2.5d games are, I think there is room for all 3, but the problem with a 2d game is most of what it does is done better in a 3d game or a 2d game!

A Mario game with the movement options and openness of Mario 64/Sunshine and the level design and know-how of 3D World would be my dream. A huge system seller, I'm sure.

I still don't think the games looks like that ;)

Got in before me. Doesn't look in any way like 64-era games IMO. They are going for a game that feels like the original, but that doesn't mean it looks anything like a game made on N64.

Well, that's not entirely true, is it? I can think of at least one section that has a very N64 look to it.

latest?cb=20160528160315

I love being pedantic!

Shut up, @Glen\-i :p

A Mario game with the movement options and openness of Mario 64/Sunshine and the level design and know-how of 3D World would be my dream. A huge system seller, I'm sure.

That would be amazing. I'd be surprised if Nintendo ever went down that road, though...

@Cube in their Edge interview they say there's not going to be as many collectables as Rare games, but those you collect have a purpose.

And for what it's worth Sunshine may be one of my favourite. The traversal alone makes it amazing and more recent Mario games are missing that.

@Cube in their Edge interview they say there's not going to be as many collectables as Rare games, but those you collect have a purpose.

Yup. I'm expecting a shorter game anyway due to it being Kickstarter.

Well Super Mario 3D World, and especially its spin-off Captain Toad, is on par IMO

Just have that at 1080p and we'll all be happy.

Personally, I think that the blocky level design of SMW3D looks bland and artificial, while Yooka Laylee has rolling hills, interresting lighting, waaay more foliage and contrasting colours.

Like I said before: I find it baffling that Nintendo decided to carry over the art style from SML3D (which looked the way it did for quite ingenious reasons) to their one and only main 3D Mario game for the Wii U.

Personally, I think that the blocky level design of SMW3D looks bland and artificial, while Yooka Laylee has rolling hills, interresting lighting, waaay more foliage and contrasting colours.

Bland????? Each to their own but give me this...

5qgssq.gif

sm3dw-catchasebirdf5kt3.gif

a5ipca.gif

SparseCalculatingGoshawk.gif

PIhcF51.gif

amNGq9.gif

any day over 'more foliage' and 'interesting lighting'

Bland????? Each to their own but give me this...

any day over 'more foliage' and 'interesting lighting'

Sorry, but no. Yooka seems visually waaaay more immersive. It feels more like living worlds, rather than a level built from tiles.

That being said, I would LOVE it if Nintendo took the assets from 3D World and made a 3D Mario Maker. THAT I would buy in an instant.

It feels more like living worlds, rather than a level built from tiles.

Wow, never thought about it that way, but 3D World's levels really do look like they are built from tiles.

By the way, don't bother with expressing your opinion on the game. You're wrong :p not really, but I guess you get my point.

Sorry, but no. Yooka seems visually waaaay more immersive. It feels more like living worlds, rather than a level built from tiles.

That being said, I would LOVE it if Nintendo took the assets from 3D World and made a 3D Mario Maker. THAT I would buy in an instant.

Of course it looks immersive, it's a game about collecting things in big open spaces. If you want to live in a game world and be wowed by lots of foliage feel free to prefer Yooka, personally I think it looks dated, unoriginal and bland. The sort of graphical style you would see in an iOS game.

Of course it looks immersive, it's a game about collecting things in big open spaces. If you want to live in a game world and be wowed by lots of foliage feel free to prefer Yooka, personally I think it looks dated, unoriginal and bland. The sort of graphical style you would see in an iOS game.

Nah, mate. As much as I agree with you on how great 3D World looks (And it really does look great), using that word to describe Yooka-Laylee is objectively wrong. Both games stand out these days thanks to their art style alone.

And what's with the focusing on foliage? Am I missing something? Last time I checked, there were going to be more areas than that grassy one.

Oh my goooood. Nobody caaaaaaares.

Well, that's just blatantly wrong. Clearly, some people care. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Well, that's just blatantly wrong. Clearly, some people care. And there's nothing wrong with that.

Yeah, you're right. But they care too much, to the point that they won't let anything go. It's just getting irritating that the same arguments are being trailed across multiple threads.

Oh my goooood. Nobody caaaaaaares.

I think @Ronnie has a point, though. Graphics that look great when a tiny section is shown but terrible when it shows off more (I presume he showed the Boswer fun fair section due to how low quality it looks) would be absolutely perfect for a platformer with large, open worlds.

I've been watching lots of gameplay footage of this and I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. It just doesn't look all that fun? I never played Banjo so don't have the sense of nostalgia to fall back on, so to me it just seems a really bland and paint by numbers platformer. I'd go so far as to say it plays like an iOS game, the moment to moment gameplay just seems boring. Maybe it's just me but it's certainly convinced me the game isn't for me, and I love 3D platformers, well, Nintendo ones at least.

Edited by Ronnie

@Ronnie What iOS game are you referencing? Maybe it's just not for you, it's more open exploration as oppose to Nintendo's recent limited and linear platformers. If you haven't played Banjo then I'd say the closest thing to it is Mario Sunshine.

@Ronnie What iOS game are you referencing? Maybe it's just not for you, it's more open exploration as oppose to Nintendo's recent limited and linear platformers. If you haven't played Banjo then I'd say the closest thing to it is Mario Sunshine.

I certainly didn't feel limited playing Nintendo's recent platformers, they were tightly designed and fun to play.

Mario Sunshine has objectives per level, is the same true of Yooka-Laylee? All I'm seeing at the moment is a collect-a-thon. The platforming also doesn't look particularly interesting. Dunno, I worry it's a game that relies so heavily on nostalgia without modernising the formula for a 2016 game. What worked on the N64 might not necessarily work nowadays.

I certainly didn't feel limited playing Nintendo's recent platformers, they were tightly designed and fun to play.

Mario Sunshine has objectives per level, is the same true of Yooka-Laylee? All I'm seeing at the moment is a collect-a-thon. The platforming also doesn't look particularly interesting. Dunno, I worry it's a game that relies so heavily on nostalgia without modernising the formula for a 2016 game. What worked on the N64 might not necessarily work nowadays.

I'm not sure, but I'd assume it would have objectives as Banjo did, similar to 64/Sunshine. The transforming worlds, collecting plagies to expand or create new areas and character transformations all point towards this having a lot of originality. It's certainly a modernised formula, moreso than the recent Ninendo titles that you keep comparing it to.

And yeah, the modern Nintendo titles are tightly designed and fun to play but (3D World at least) are very linear, that's not particularly a bad thing if it's what you're after, but that's what I'm getting at, they're very different kinds of games despite both being platformers so if you're hoping for something like 3D World then it's no wonder you're not impressed with what you're seeing.

I've been watching lots of gameplay footage of this and I have to say I'm massively underwhelmed. It just doesn't look all that fun? I never played Banjo so don't have the sense of nostalgia to fall back on, so to me it just seems a really bland and paint by numbers platformer. I'd go so far as to say it plays like an iOS game, the moment to moment gameplay just seems boring. Maybe it's just me but it's certainly convinced me the game isn't for me, and I love 3D platformers, well, Nintendo ones at least.

Since it's reveal, Yooka-Laylee has always reminded me a little of a lot of the generic 3D platformers from the Gamecube and PS2 era. I don't think it looks bad as such but it's still not really clicking with me and seems to be lacking something. In fact, i'll go as far as backing you up by noting that it lacks the special magic that the visuals in something like Super Mario 3D World have. It's a personal taste but I've felt this way before, such as when Rayman Origins was getting so much praise for its graphics but I would find myself preferring the look and feel of New Super Mario Bros Wii :grin:

Banjo-Kazooie on N64 is one of my favourite games of all time and I have such good memories of it but Banjo-Tooie left a pretty sour taste in my mouth and it's one that I can't seem to shake when thinking about Yooka-Laylee :hmm:

Having been thinking about Breath of the Wild and how I'm more interested in it because it's Zelda than I probably would have been with any other franchise, perhaps I'd feel a little more encouraged by Yooka-Laylee if it was actually a new Banjo-Kazooie ::shrug: I almost feel wrong for thinking in that way but that's just how it is!

I never played Banjo

I don't care about how this weighs on the current argument but man, I feel sorry for you on this. Banjo Kazooie is one of the greatest games of all time. I couldn't get an N64 at launch, I didn't get one for over two years after release actually. When I could finally have one, after a price drop and at Christmas, Banjo Kazooie - a game I had played a lot at my friend's house - was my only must have title. Before SM64, Goldeneye or anything like that, I wanted Banjo Kazooie. The music, atmosphere, humour, charm, size, variety of worlds, general fun and quality of gameplay/controls and intelligence of it all... did I mention the music? There are very few equals out there. The generation's best developers (after Nintendo) at their absolute peak.

I encourage you to hunt down this game if you have a means of playing it (Xbox 360?) then you might understand what we're all excited about except nando.

Edited by Shorty

I don't care about how this weighs on the current argument but man, I feel sorry for you on this. Banjo Kazooie is one of the greatest games of all time. I couldn't get an N64 at launch, I didn't get one for over two years after release actually. When I could finally have one, after a price drop and at Christmas, Banjo Kazooie - a game I had played a lot at my friend's house - was my only must have title. Before SM64, Goldeneye or anything like that, I wanted Banjo Kazooie. The music, atmosphere, humour, charm, size, variety of worlds, general fun and quality of gameplay/controls and intelligence of it all... did I mention the music? There are very few equals out there. The generation's best developers (after Nintendo) at their absolute peak.

I encourage you to hunt down this game if you have a means of playing it (Xbox 360?) then you might understand what we're all excited about except nando.

I chose Banjo over Mario 64 when my parents asked me what game I wanted for my birthday. I don't regret my choice :)