Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin on point with a few things in this video.

It's nice to see him positive about Nintendo again.

Yeah he is bang on with all of this except them being one mistake away from being third party

Edited by Serebii

It'll be great

Though people will bitch because they don't understand technology and realise that they can't have PS4 Pro level tech in a hybrid device without it costing a fortune and having the battery life of a pencil

I think most, if not all, of us on here are quite reasonable with our expectations. I'd avoid Gaf for the day of the reveal though. :D

Only one thing will make it great for me! :D

Please please please please!

Well, the other day that muppet Obe1 said that it has voice chat via bluetooth headsets. Of course, the Wii U had voice chat in a few games. Had he said party chat then it would be a little more exciting. Saying that, I have no idea where this moron gets his information. He could just be pulling all of this stuff out of his backside in an attempt to get clicks.

I think most, if not all, of us on here are quite reasonable with our expectations. I'd avoid Gaf for the day of the reveal though. :D

It makes me sad that people are so fixated with power. That Colin guy you posted about is spot on. Games have not changed since last generation. Power is nice, but it makes things shinier essentially. It's not essential to making good games yet it has become what people fixate on. It makes me sad that people care more about playing Console Spec Top Trumps over playing good games

Only one thing will make it great for me! :D

Please please please please!

Detective Pikachu, right? I'm right there with you, man.

Hmmm

C1eWSWZWgAA1jLE.jpg

I know the source isn't great, but would that be a good price?

Middle of the road really.

£300 would have been bordering on too high

£200 would have been too low for Nintendo to actually make good business

£250 is fine, but not ideal if you want impulse buyers. It's about what most of us have been expecting

Edited by Serebii

It makes me sad that people are so fixated with power. That Colin guy you posted about is spot on. Games have not changed since last generation. Power is nice, but it makes things shinier essentially. It's not essential to making good games yet it has become what people fixate on. It makes me sad that people care more about playing Console Spec Top Trumps over playing good games

Detective Pikachu, right? I'm right there with you, man.

Hmmm

C1eWSWZWgAA1jLE.jpg

The main reason to care about power is that if a console isn't upgrading power then you wonder why a new console is even necessary in the first place. Power is always the thing people expect to go up considerably because technology is expected to have improved a lot in 5-7 years. It's also not just graphics as we've seen more player models and more sophisticated AI/level design (as well as VR) as a result of power jumps.

Of course in the case of the Switch, it brings portability so that's a big plus, and I can see people overlooking power in this case due to the obvious benefits portability brings. That said, if you're only really interested in home consoles you might be able to appreciate why those people could object to not so much of a graphical upgrade with this system.

The main reason to care about power is that if a console isn't upgrading power then you wonder why a new console is even necessary in the first place. Power is always the thing people expect to go up considerably because technology is expected to have improved a lot in 5-7 years. It's also not just graphics as we've seen more player models and more sophisticated AI/level design (as well as VR) as a result of power jumps.

Of course in the case of the Switch, it brings portability so that's a big plus, and I can see people overlooking power in this case due to the obvious benefits portability brings. That said, if you're only really interested in home consoles you might be able to appreciate why those people might object to not so much of a graphical upgrade with this system.

And power is very rarely the factor into determining which console sells the best. Wii sold the best. PS2. PS1. SNES. GameBoy. GameBoy Advance. DS. 3DS. All the weaker of their generation and all the best selling. It's only PS4 that has bucked this trend

So far with the PS4/XBO, there really hasn't been anything that hasn't been possible previously, just with slightly worse graphics.

I'm not saying increasing specs is bad. I'm saying that having the highest specs isn't everything that it is made out to be.

Amen to the power nonsense Colin raised in that video; all its done is create broken games that are constantly having to be patched and updated. You look at many top game polls and ocarina of time still hangs out around the top spots! You can have all the "p's" and "fps" you want but it doesn't make you care or enjoy a game any more if it's not a solid experience to start with, Nintendo or otherwise.

I've avoided everything for the presentation next week, can't wait to see what they reveal!

I don't think anyone prefers to play bad games that are pretty over great games, that would just be silly. Truthfully, Nintendo have had their game design limited over the last decade due to not having hardware powerful enough to fulfil their ambitions (this also coincided with their brief of making games more simple). The fact that Zelda runs so poorly on Wii U says it all really.

Whilst I don't care for PS4-esque power, I want to see their franchises make the jump that they did from NES -> SNES -> N64 and of course Gamecube. More power means less limitations, although I do agree that playing top trumps is basically pointless.

I can't wait to see what the next big jump for Mario and Metroid could be. I also think Splatoon has massive potential - hopefully the sequel delivers.

Also, I agree with your points regarding price. £250 sounds competitive although I do think they may release a SKU at £199.

I don't think anyone prefers to play bad games that are pretty over great games, that would just be silly. Truthfully, Nintendo have had their game design limited over the last decade due to not having hardware powerful enough to fulfil their ambitions (this also coincided with their brief of making games more simple). The fact that Zelda runs so poorly on Wii U says it all really.

Whilst I don't care for PS4-esque power, I want to see their franchises make the jump that they did from NES -> SNES -> N64 and of course Gamecube. More power means less limitations, although I do agree that playing top trumps is basically pointless.

I can't wait to see what the next big jump for Mario and Metroid could be. I also think Splatoon has massive potential - hopefully the sequel delivers.

Also, I agree with your points regarding price. £250 sounds competitive although I do think they may release a SKU at £199.

Thing is, we're reaching the age of diminishing returns for that. We're not going to see huge jumps like that anymore.

Amen to the power nonsense Colin raised in that video; all its done is create broken games that are constantly having to be patched and updated. You look at many top game polls and ocarina of time still hangs out around the top spots! You can have all the "p's" and "fps" you want but it doesn't make you care or enjoy a game any more if it's not a solid experience to start with, Nintendo or otherwise.

He's been very vocal about such things ever since the PS4 Pro got announced. He's mainly a Playstation guy ( Nintendo lost him during the Wii era ) but he wasn't happy with the announcement of the Pro and said developers need to use the power they've already got and get games working with what they already have, instead of asking for more. He took LOTS of flak ( both him and Greg did ) for this from Playstation fans, especially on Gaf.

I've said it last year in another topic about how I admire developers who want to push the boundaries of games but not if the games are broken or needed constant updating. If they can't achieve their vision properly then they need to reign their ideas in. Far better to create a polished and fun experience over one that is broken and unfinished.

Thing is, we're reaching the age of diminishing returns for that. We're not going to see huge jumps like that anymore.

You absolutely will in terms of game design, especially if you're Nintendo who never had the big jump in power in the mid-2000's. If you think games like Prime, Galaxy, Wind Waker, NSMB U etc were the best those franchises could ever get in terms of scope and ambition, you're wrong.

Haven't you been keeping up with the new Zelda footage? That thing goes far beyond what was capable on older tech, so much so that it struggles to run well on Wii U, the same console it was originally built for. And we know for a fact that the Switch will be more powerful than Wii U.

And power is very rarely the factor into determining which console sells the best. Wii sold the best. PS2. PS1. SNES. GameBoy. GameBoy Advance. DS. 3DS. All the weaker of their generation and all the best selling. It's only PS4 that has bucked this trend

So far with the PS4/XBO, there really hasn't been anything that hasn't been possible previously, just with slightly worse graphics.

I'm not saying increasing specs is bad. I'm saying that having the highest specs isn't everything that it is made out to be.

Um, VR has been possible (PSVR), as well as massive numbers of NPCs to create convincing crowds (AC: Unity). Two things off the top of my head that definitely couldn't have been done before...

I agree with you that graphics hasn't always been the selling point as if there's something else there that people want, people will buy it anyway. That said, it makes sense that many people would want a graphical upgrade if buying a new system, since technology has moved on in the time since the last console. And if you're a home console only player, I can see why the Switch might not be the upgrade you wanted.

Middle of the road really.

£300 would have been bordering on too high

£200 would have been too low for Nintendo to actually make good business

£250 is fine, but not ideal if you want impulse buyers. It's about what most of us have been expecting

Thx :). My money is ready anyway, just to find a country where I am going to buy it :D.

Um, VR has been possible (PSVR), as well as massive numbers of NPCs to create convincing crowds (AC: Unity). Two things off the top of my head that definitely couldn't have been done before...

I agree with you that graphics hasn't always been the selling point as if there's something else there that people want, people will buy it anyway. That said, it makes sense that many people would want a graphical upgrade if buying a new system, since technology has moved on in the time since the last console. And if you're a home console only player, I can see why the Switch might not be the upgrade you wanted.

VR could technically be possible on lower power devices. You do realise VR has been a thing for a while, right?

As for "convincing crowds"? Come on, man.

The switch selling point is it being a 2 in 1 console and the Nintendo exclusives. What counters that is the negatives - how much 3rd party? Will it have the social and online services modern gamers want? How gimped is the portable bit? Will it have enough first parties to cater for fans?

I'm confident this thing is going to be immense in every way.

Except party chat!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!