Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is still a bunch of people doubting the original article and saying NX isn't nvidia and is more powerful than PS4.... Bizarre that quite a lot of people are saying this, and people who have got things right before too... I think it's pretty clear the rumors are all true, but maybe the dock does boost it...? Either that or they are completely wrong, likely.

Why are we still talking about what it could be 6 months from release?!

The reason Nintendo won't have revealed yet is obviously to wait until after the Neo reveal - they can make some changes to how its revealed and perhaps the hardware after that. I suspect near the end of the month we will get info once the neo reveal has died down a bit.

I would be interested to see how that info is revealed anyway, i know in my own circle of friends quite a few are less than happy Sony have an upgraded PS4 coming so soon (especially one who's girlfriend saved and bought him a ps4 for christmas last year), others are dismissing it as irrelevant and only having the guts of the VR system included and one has more money than sense so will buy it day one.....

If that sort of mixed reaction is how the general public view it, it would surely affect Nintendo's Launch/reveal window too?

Would they take the hit and admit they are doing essentially the same? or delay further?

Same as Xbox One (6 months from reveal to release) and PS4 (5 months from reveal of console to release)

Yeah, but I guess two things 1. We kind of knew what to expect from them, bigger beefier consoles, with Nintendo and NX in particular, there could be lots of surprises 2. I don't really care about the others and I'm impatient and want to know NOW!!!!

Same as Xbox One (6 months from reveal to release) and PS4 (5 months from reveal of console to release)

In February (i.e. 9 months prior to launch) Sony unveiled:

• The controller
  • The specs (and compared them to Xbox One, so we knew what they were going to be at this stage too)
  • A release window
  • OS features (pause, share, remote play etc)
  • Some games

E3 (the five months you mention) showed off new games, the console design itself and price/release but everything else was just elaborating on what had been known for months by that point.

In comparison we're six months away and we haven't had any substantial official information from Nintendo. It would be one thing if we had a name, had some confirmed sense of what the platform will be (I'm assuming the rumours are mostly true but Nintendo obviously has stayed quiet) and that but we know nothing officially.

And as Dazzy said, you largely knew what to expect from the One/Four. It's not true of Nintendo.

All I'm saying is that given Xbox One did it in 6 months and PS4 did it in 5-9 months before, 6 months isn't so unusual, especially in this day and age of short reveal to release windows for new tech. Yes Nintendo don't just release the same console but beefed up like the others, but 6 months is plenty of time to explain and build hype. IMO.

Assuming hat NX is launching in March 2017, what are Nintendo's options with regard to officially announcing it. By that I mean what gaming events are taking place in the not too distant future where they could have an NX presence.

I'm sure the initial reveal will be via a direct with a view to showing it off at an event shortly after.

All I'm saying is that given Xbox One did it in 6 months and PS4 did it in 5-9 months before, 6 months isn't so unusual, especially in this day and age of short reveal to release windows for new tech. Yes Nintendo don't just release the same console but beefed up like the others, but 6 months is plenty of time to explain and build hype. IMO.

How do you feel something like Christmas will affect it? I've spoken previously about how I feel there's no point in doing any substantial advertising prior to it ("what, it's not available for Christmas!?") and then after it we're in a small window in a typically spending-lite period. Just wondering what your thoughts are, I may be over-worrying!

How do you feel something like Christmas will affect it? I've spoken previously about how I feel there's no point in doing any substantial advertising prior to it ("what, it's not available for Christmas!?") and then after it we're in a small window in a typically spending-lite period. Just wondering what your thoughts are, I may be over-worrying!

That's certainly the main worry for me. It's a big shame it's not ready for Christmas but oh well

Assuming hat NX is launching in March 2017, what are Nintendo's options with regard to officially announcing it. By that I mean what gaming events are taking place in the not too distant future where they could have an NX presence.

I'm sure the initial reveal will be via a direct with a view to showing it off at an event shortly after.

TGS is next week. But that's about it. I don't think they need to launch it an event though. A direct will be fine. Ideally before so then developers/publishers can talk about games they're releasing for it. Then almost leave it until January and go on a 3 month build up of information!!

I'm still praying the thing will have Party Chat at OS level. That's pretty much all the info I'm desperate for.

Big clincher for me too in addition to other online/social features.

TGS is next week. But that's about it. I don't think they need to launch it an event though. A direct will be fine. Ideally before so then developers/publishers can talk about games they're releasing for it. Then almost leave it until January and go on a 3 month build up of information!!

I agree with Clownferret- I think it needs a Direct AND a show/event of some sort - need to get it into people's hands somehow to then get more objective views on it. I'd be more sceptical otherwise.

Edited by Rummy

I think a lot of people are hungry for information purely because there's nothing else really going on with Nintendo. The Wii U has been dead in the water for ages now and people are left twiddling their thumbs.

The other 2 console manufacturers made the transition between consoles very well, with both the 360 and PS3 being well supported before and after the arrival of their replacements. If people had plenty of games to play to keep them busy then I imagine the thirst for information wouldn't be as bad.

I think this has been a major problem for Nintendo for a few generations now, with people left wanting until their next console arrives. I imagine that this also has a lot to do with the ever declining user base. People get sick of waiting for stuff to play, pick up another console to fill the void and then get hooked on the new consoles ecosystem, game experiences and then don't return to Nintendo.

Someone on Gaf made a good point about leaving it too late. They mentioned that if the system, for whatever reason, doesn't receive a good response from the press and public during the unveil, then Nintendo haven't left themselves a lot of time to correct anything that people may not like. Providing they still launch in March, of course.

I think a lot of people are hungry for information purely because there's nothing else really going on with Nintendo. The Wii U has been dead in the water for ages now and people are left twiddling their thumbs.

The other 2 console manufacturers made the transition between consoles very well, with both the 360 and PS3 being well supported before and after the arrival of their replacements. If people had plenty of games to play to keep them busy then I imagine the thirst for information wouldn't be as bad.

I think this has been a major problem for Nintendo for a few generations now, with people left wanting until their next console arrives. I imagine that this also has a lot to do with the ever declining user base. People get sick of waiting for stuff to play, pick up another console to fill the void and then get hooked on the new consoles ecosystem, game experiences and then don't return to Nintendo.

Someone on Gaf made a good point about leaving it too late. They mentioned that if the system, for whatever reason, doesn't receive a good response from the press and public during the unveil, then Nintendo haven't left themselves a lot of time to correct anything that people may not like. Providing they still launch in March, of course.

Not sure about that. How early do people want a reveal? Do you need one earlier than 6 months? Once you reveal then generally is no going back unless you have made a couple cluster fuck. The specs are in place and to then try and change them afterwards isn't really an option when deadlines need to be hit.

After the 3DS direct, I'm starting to think they are not going to mention NX until after Christmas, They'll probably want to cash in on one last payday for 3DS and Wii U and then announce NX mid Jan.

I'm sure their money men are concerned that a reveal prior to Christmas will damage sales as people will wait until March, especially if as expected it's basically a Wii U and 3DS rolled into one.

Not sure about that. How early do people want a reveal? Do you need one earlier than 6 months? Once you reveal then generally is no going back unless you have made a couple cluster fuck. The specs are in place and to then try and change them afterwards isn't really an option when deadlines need to be hit.

I wasn't really talking about specs ( as you said, these can't be changed at the flick of a button ) but rather marketing and messaging. It the messaging isn't clear and is causing confusion then they haven't left much time for themselves to sort it out.

Saying that, the Wii U confused the hell out of people when that was revealed and Nintendo buried their head in the sand and didn't address that situation well. So maybe extra time wouldn't make any difference for them. ::shrug:

After the 3DS direct, I'm starting to think they are not going to mention NX until after Christmas, They'll probably want to cash in on one last payday for 3DS and Wii U and then announce NX mid Jan.

I'm sure their money men are concerned that a reveal prior to Christmas will damage sales as people will wait until March, especially if as expected it's basically a Wii U and 3DS rolled into one.

They have gotten themselves into a bit of a pickle in this regard. Missing the holiday season has left them with all kinds of issues and you bring up a very valid one. Why buy older hardware when a new machine is right around the corner?

Edited by Hero-of-Time
Automerged Doublepost

Xbox One's reveal was shambolic and they turned that around within the 6 months from reveal to release.

Xbox One's reveal was shambolic and they turned that around within the 6 months from reveal to release.

I'd argue the damage was already done.

Had they enough time they would have dropped the Kinect aspect of the thing altogether, something which they have done now. It took ages for them to distance themselves from the device and clear all the bundles that had it. You're probably looking at a year after the launch for them to start getting everything right, both in bundles and messaging.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!