N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like I said above and maybe I wasn't clear on this, but I mean what can't be changed. As I what's the point in having endless debates about how low powered the nx is once it's announced as an example.

I want to address this though - in case my enlargened and emboldened post was missed - let's not get to the point of telling people what they can and cannot talk about. Can't understand why people post what they do? That's fine, that's you - but let it be posted and move on past it. Can't stand someone's posts? Add them to your ignore list and if they provoke you intentionally after that then raise it with us.

(not understanding and not agreeing are two different things)

As a life-long Nintendo fan, I feel I've every right to talk about this on a discussion forum. I feel Nintendo aren't catering to all those that have stood by them all this time.

^ It really is that simple. Anyone who's here and not breaking rules has every right to post their thoughts - regardless of whether it's positive, negative, neutral, or just general speculation and so forth.

Here's a few random questions I'd like you all to predict the answers to in the run up to Nintendo's presentation :smile:

1. Will the official reveal of the NX happen in September?

2. Will Nintendo NX be the final name of the product?

3. Will the RRP be above £200?

4. Will FLUDD appear in any capacity during the presentation?

5. Will the UK release date be specified for March 2017?

6. Will Breath of the Wild be confirmed as a launch title?

7. Will Nintendo reveal a game with 'Mii' in the title?

8. Will the console be shown in more than one colour?

1. Yes, I think it will.

2. Nope. Although I do like the name.

3. Yes -£275

4. Yes - Sunshine 2! Here's hoping...

5. No, May 2017

6. Yes, I thought it had already.

7. Yes, unfortunately

8. Yes - black and white

Sow heirs release and peopleconstantlybanging on about how the screen isn't good enough or the machine powerful enough,or hating that it's a Hyrbid is a valid discussion is it? I sure it'd be fine.imalso sure if I went in the ps4 thread and kept talking about how the ps4 isn't for me and its rubbish because it doesn't have Nintendo games, and I wished for other things that can't be changed they'd all be deleted.

And I never said people aren't allowed to say whatever they want, I said I hoped people didn't. Or am I not allowed an opinion? This place has been utterly ruined for years now with many long time posters not posting any more because of what has happened. Obviously Nintendo have done a lot wrong, obviously a lot of people have moved on, but if yet again they provide something that isn't what people want, it blows my mind wasting so much effort spouting the same things over and over and over and over again about it. I can't believe everyone doesn't find it incredibly boring. It's already started and we don't know anything about it.

Like someone else said in a different thread,some people just love to hate and express it. Must be therapeutic for them.

Well, technically it is - but 'the most powerful handheld of all time' isn't saying much if it isn't displaying visuals in 2017 at a standard we've been accustomed to since about 2010.

But isn't that still pretty adnavbced for a portable? Or are you saying if it's 720p on the tele as well?

I presume itall be 720p on handheld and 1080p on tele.

Are lil modern games in 1080p by the way? I thought I remembered debates about ps4 still not reaching it? Or am I mixing it with 60fps?

(seriously dude, start reading back your posts before you posts because that took way too much brain power to figure out what you were saying :heh:)

I think there's various things at play here:

1) We're in an information vacuum and as such conversations tend to be cylindrical because there's nothing else to discuss. That's why we're having the same kind of conversation over and over again. Happens in the weeks before game releases too.

2) Similarly, people saying "I don't think this would be suitable/would work/would cause an apocalypse" is the best we can talk about at the moment. There's something to be said for saying "we know that isn't going to happen" after we know the facts (akin to your suggestion of requesting Nintendo games on the PS4), but until that point its speculation. There's currently no ground to say "we know that isn't going to happen so let's stop talking about it" because we know nothing.

3) Your post came across as "I'm sick of hearing about this stop it!" but I believe you when you say it wasn't intended like that, but it did come across as a desire to shut down conversations.

4) It may blow your mind that some people spend so much time having the same conversations, but if they want them let it be. Enjoy how little else they have to do :heh:

5) Someone pointed out Smash is the only first party Wii U title that is 1080p, rest are 720 btw.

Sow heirs release and peopleconstantlybanging on about how the screen isn't good enough or the machine powerful enough,or hating that it's a Hyrbid is a valid discussion is it? I sure it'd be fine.imalso sure if I went in the ps4 thread and kept talking about how the ps4 isn't for me and its rubbish because it doesn't have Nintendo games, and I wished for other things that can't be changed they'd all be deleted.

And I never said people aren't allowed to say whatever they want, I said I hoped people didn't. Or am I not allowed an opinion? This place has been utterly ruined for years now with many long time posters not posting any more because of what has happened. Obviously Nintendo have done a lot wrong, obviously a lot of people have moved on, but if yet again they provide something that isn't what people want, it blows my mind wasting so much effort spouting the same things over and over and over and over again about it. I can't believe everyone doesn't find it incredibly boring. It's already started and we don't know anything about it.

A couple of points on this...

You have gone into the PS4 topic saying on multiple occasions how bad things are about the system. And it doesn't get deleted. In fact, I can very much remember shortly after you bought your PS4 that you were complaining about the whole system suggesting it wasn't for you, and had no games, even after people suggested that perhaps you shouldn't buy it. I don't understand how you can be so consistently hypocritical and seemingly not be aware of it.

You complain that people waste all this effort posting here... the thing is, you waste all this effort making these completely senseless complaints over and over again, instead of putting the people that are apparently boring you on your ignore list. At least when people post negatively about consoles they are making a point, and contributing to discussion, and it's usually on topic. This is just mindless complaining about people with opinions you don't like.

Battery life and price.

Nintendo don't care about having the latest super duper tech, they just make great games for as many people as possible. A great game is a great game, regardless of whether it's 720p or 1080p.

Well that's just stupid when you're also making hardware. Might as well not even bother with HD or better online because these great games are the ultimate justification.

This is the mentality that keeps Nintendo one step behind the mainstream and having to resort to gimmicks to attract people who aren't even normally gamers.

If Nintendo were just about software then I would agree to that statement.

(seriously dude, start reading back your posts before you posts because that took way too much brain power to figure out what you were saying :heh:)

I think there's various things at play here:

1) We're in an information vacuum and as such conversations tend to be cylindrical because there's nothing else to discuss. That's why we're having the same kind of conversation over and over again. Happens in the weeks before game releases too.

2) Similarly, people saying "I don't think this would be suitable/would work/would cause an apocalypse" is the best we can talk about at the moment. There's something to be said for saying "we know that isn't going to happen" after we know the facts (akin to your suggestion of requesting Nintendo games on the PS4), but until that point its speculation. There's currently no ground to say "we know that isn't going to happen so let's stop talking about it" because we know nothing.

3) Your post came across as "I'm sick of hearing about this stop it!" but I believe you when you say it wasn't intended like that, but it did come across as a desire to shut down conversations.

4) It may blow your mind that some people spend so much time having the same conversations, but if they want them let it be. Enjoy how little else they have to do :heh:

5) Someone pointed out Smash is the only first party Wii U title that is 1080p, rest are 720 btw.

That is pretty bad. Touch keyboards and my fingers don't play together very well...

I guess I was just more imaging what it's going to be like and just thinking about how awful it'll be :)

Yeah when ire read it I did think it came across as don't speak at all, that's why I wanted to reiterate I didn't mean that.

A couple of points on this...

You have gone into the PS4 topic saying on multiple occasions how bad things are about the system. And it doesn't get deleted. In fact, I can very much remember shortly after you bought your PS4 that you were complaining about the whole system suggesting it wasn't for you, and had no games, even after people suggested that perhaps you shouldn't buy it. I don't understand how you can be so consistently hypocritical and seemingly not be aware of it.

You complain that people waste all this effort posting here... the thing is, you waste all this effort making these completely senseless complaints over and over again, instead of putting the people that are apparently boring you on your ignore list. At least when people post negatively about consoles they are making a point, and contributing to discussion, and it's usually on topic. This is just mindless complaining about people with opinions you don't like.

No, when I first bought it I may have commented on it, when all the games got delayed and the only appealing games were remasters I may have commented on it. But that's it. It wasn't constant. It was relevant at the time. And it's perfectly valid. This isn't what annoys me, this isn't what I'm saying. It's the incessant repeating of the same things which are unable to change I painful.

Did the leaks mention what kind of hard drive/storage the NX will be using?

Nope. This is a big worry. A handheld device can't even have huge storage can it? Does a tablet have bigger than 256g? With modern games approaching 50g it feels like it could be a huge problem. The dock could have a big hard drive and some decent transferring tools, but it doesn't seem elegent.

Could huge games run off an sd card?

If you find it painful then why don't you put those people on your ignore list, or just skip past the posts? I don't know why you put so much effort into complaining about this all the time?

You also complained about the PS4 a lot. No less than the particular NX complaints that have just surfaced.

A question, If the the resolution is 720p and not 1080p on a sam machine capable of doing both, does it then allow to put more details on the 720p version as the power can be used for that or is that a different thing?

That's essentially correct. 720p is far less demanding than 1080p, but given how most of the best looking games aren't native 1080p devs are already using that extra power on other areas, and most don't really have interest yet in two versions with differing graphical settings. (Ala PC) there are a few games on console that I recall allow for choosing between locked 30fps and unlocked possible 60 but with drops. And I think FFXIV allows for a resolution choice with similar trade offs.

But the way consoles are going with the mid gen refresh, I'm guessing this two version different settings thing will become more common.

Even if they opt for a 1080p screen, developers don't have to use it. Most Vita games ran below the maximum supported resolution. What it does do is give choice to the developer (who, for instance, may be developing less intensive games).

It might not need to be as high as 1080p, but to me 720p on what would be a very large sized phone screen would look like a 6 year old gadget from the off.

Well that's just stupid when you're also making hardware. Might as well not even bother with HD or better online because these great games are the ultimate justification.

This is the mentality that keeps Nintendo one step behind the mainstream and having to resort to gimmicks to attract people who aren't even normally gamers.

If Nintendo were just about software then I would agree to that statement.

They make hardware to suit the games. A great game is a great game regardless of whether it's 720p or 1080p, but if the former saves them some money and increases battery life, they'll go with that on a handheld display.

You probably would have complained about the original Gameboy being so technologically lacking compared to the Game Gear and Lynx, but look how that turned out.

They make hardware to suit the games. A great game is a great game regardless of whether it's 720p or 1080p, but if the former saves them some money and increases battery life, they'll go with that on a handheld display.

You probably would have complained about the original Gameboy being so technologically lacking compared to the Game Gear and Lynx, but look how that turned out.

You could say the same about having HD at all. Why even bother advancing technology in this way if nobody cared about it?

I think we have to remember as well the shitstorm at the start of this generation with gamers complaining about Xbox One games being 900p when PS4 games were 1080p. It may not matter to some people but it matters to enough that if those complaints start coming then its a lot of bad press, as Microsoft saw.

No, there's a big difference between SD and HD gaming, unlike the two kinds of HD and it's the reason why the 1080p v 720p arguments are ridiculed in the gaming press.

So you admit people care about resolution advances. Now we're getting somewhere.

No, there's a big difference between SD and HD gaming, unlike the two kinds of HD and it's the reason why the 1080p v 720p arguments are ridiculed in the gaming press.

Who defines whether any technological jump is a big enough difference? You? Let's be real - if you had the choice between spending money on something that's 720p or 1080p, are you telling me you won't choose 1080?

Didn't you just say the jump to HD was important? Are you laughing at yourself then?

I am actually, for continuing to indulge your bait for some reason.

It's very simple, the difference between SD and HD is extremely noticeable. The difference between 720p and 1080p is not. There are trade offs for going with the latter and Nintendo will choose the one that makes the most sense for them. If it has a better DPI than the Vita, which looks great as is, then that's fine by me, especially if it gets me an extra hour of battery life and still outputs 1080 to a tv.

Plus, they can just release a heavily upgraded model in a couple of years so we can all buy it twice.

I personally think all three are worse experiences with motion controls. I see motion controls as a test product that has had its time, and now left us with nothing more than inferior ways to move the X and Y axis than those developed 20 years prior.

It was fun throwing bowling balls and swinging the sword at angles in Skyward Sword but anywhere that it's put in place of a standard control scheme, I've never felt it do anything but hamper the experience.

Well, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, but that just comes across as inflexible to me. I mean, how hard is it to point at something in a first person game like Metroid Prime? Instead, you'd rather hold down the R button and clumsily move the reticle with a control stick? I can't comprehend playing a game like that with "Standard" controls. Not after I've already played it with the Wii Remote.

And while it seems like it's only me, I wouldn't do anywhere near as good in the Mario Kart Tourney if it wasn't for the Wii Wheel.

And I don't like Splatoon, but I would have down right hated it if I couldn't fine tune my aiming with the gyro controls.

The 3DS Zelda remakes have much less frustrating aiming with Gyro controls and is one of the main reasons I'd play those over the N64 originals.

Yes, motion controls shouldn't be in everything. There's plenty of examples where it just doesn't work. (Mario Kart 7 comes to mind, Gyro steering just flat out doesn't work when you're tilting the screen) But the answer isn't to drop it altogether because some people don't want to change how they play games (Which is fine), where's the sense in that?