NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm so hyped up for tonight's Direct. Argh. Every time I tell myself to not get too excited but it happens anyway.

Just check amazon.co.uk and was greeted by this:

switch.png

So tomorrow. Doesn't tell me more when I click "Learn more" though. Maybe midnight, after the presentation, or later in the morning tomorrow then.

y3Qews.jpg

Presentation at 4am, pre-order at 6am (UK time)

Cool. Didn't see that when I tried it earlier...will get up a little before 7 then.

Fuck. I can't even pre order one for me and one for my son.

Thanks Nintendo for undershipping. Great idea

Cool. Didn't see that when I tried it earlier...will get up a little before 7 then.

Don't you mean "I won't bother going back to bed after the event at 4am?"

Don't you mean "I won't bother going back to bed after the event at 4am?"

Nah...nah...

Can sleep in and still get the news but preorders might pass you by. :heh:

7am...me likey. I'm on it.

I think Ronnie is right in saying 6 AM, unless they messed up?

Says BST, not GMT/UTC, so if their apparent mistake is accurate (7 AM BST), then it would be going up at 6 AM (GMT/UTC).

Edited by Julius Caesar

Fuck. I can't even pre order one for me and one for my son.

Thanks Nintendo for undershipping. Great idea

One switch and two joy cons. You're sorted!

I think Ronnie is right in saying 6 AM, unless they messed up?

Says BST, not GMT/UTC, so if their apparent mistake is accurate (7 AM BST), then it would be going up at 6 AM (GMT/UTC).

I find it weird they're telling us in a timezone that isn't currently being observed.

£199 would be immense and insta-purchase territory for more folk. A deluxe model being anywhere between £250-300 would be alright as long as there's no ridiculous "it's not the same game" MKart 8.5 or Splatoon 1.5 pack-in (or a tokenistic VC game). Nintendo need to come out swinging due to WiiU's sales and Kimishima's tenure will be judged by this launch.

I wonder how much impact a March launch makes on a system sale-wise? Anyone got any figures/evidence I can read?

It's not like Nintendo haven't done it before. At least Switch should have a big E3...

If I was Nintendo - I'd aim for that £200 mark. As you say - it's perfect instabuy territory. I was just saying to a few of the OW folk that at £200 I'd pick it up on release and definitely keep it forever - at £250 I'd be on the fence and consider selling it on after a bit if I don't like it or it doesn't do what I'm after.

Getting the thing into hands and homes is the most important thing imo - they can/surely will make more than £20-50 off of a system in its lifetime. For me if I got a Switch I'd definitely get Splatoon despite being a remake, XCX if it's re-made, Mario, and probably as I have the Switch I'd get Zelda too.

Sadly I see the pound is still tanking and I think due to that we won't get the £200 price that we might have last year or before; they'll be thinking(if sensible) of future-proofing against further potential falls in GBP; especially with Brexit deadlines looming. I expect we'll see a equivalence with VAT-exclusive US price(ie $250 without tax in US, £250 in UK). It's a shame, cos that £50 window and response to it feels really really variable to me.

I really don't get the logic of people wanting versions of games that are excactly the same as PS4/XB1, just buy those games on those systems if you already own them. Nintendo are offering a new and unique system which offers some really great benefits to gamers. But it's always the same old "I'm not buying the Switch version as the graphics won't be as good"

Why not "Switch" the argument around and say I am buying the Switch version because of the things that game can't do on another console. My point is each console offers a certain amount of uniqueness but it always seems on here that whatever the benefits offered by Sony and Microsoft are always used as the most important features.

Tbh if the Switch got games on par with the others, and had online functionality on par with the others, I'd always opt for the Switch version. The portability potential in addition to having what the others have would nail it for me every single time.

IF they can get themselves on par with competition I honestly think they could clean up. Yet, for some reason, Nintendo cannot or simply just will not. Tis a shame imo.

If you've got a wifi connection then you're not exactly out and about and I can't believe anybody is going to be using party chat whilst sitting on a train.

I'm not saying it doesn't matter if Nintendo don't get 3rd parties, that couldn't be further from the truth. I'm questioning the logic on here of people who have said they will buy these games on the other console anyway but then continue to complain about what features the Switch may or may not have.

I'm not letting them off the hook, I'll be furious if I can't play Fifa on the Switch. But as I've just said there is too much nonsense on here along the lines of "if Switch can't do everything a PS4 can plus better and be cheaper too then it's not worth buying and if the games aren't exactly the same as the PS4 versions they are not worth buying.

Personally I'm hoping they'll partner up with wifi hotspots like they tried with DS and NintendoZone stuff etc. The fact I could be waiting for my mates in the pub yet could fire up my switch, plug my headset in, and have a game of Splatoon and quick chuckle and chat with Hero or Kav whilst they're at home in their living room/out and about themselves would be amazing. What if my other mate who has a Switch turns up before anyone else, and then he can get involved too? That level of connectivity and social would be absolutely sick for me!

Edited by Rummy

If I was Nintendo - I'd aim for that £200 mark. As you say - it's perfect instabuy territory. I was just saying to a few of the OW folk that at £200 I'd pick it up on release and definitely keep it forever - at £250 I'd be on the fence and consider selling it on after a bit if I don't like it or it doesn't do what I'm after.

Getting the thing into hands and homes is the most important thing imo - they can/surely will make more than £20-50 off of a system in its lifetime. For me if I got a Switch I'd definitely get Splatoon despite being a remake, XCX if it's re-made, Mario, and probably as I have the Switch I'd get Zelda too.

Sadly I see the pound is still tanking and I think due to that we won't get the £200 price that we might have last year or before; they'll be thinking(if sensible) of future-proofing against further potential falls in GBP; especially with Brexit deadlines looming. I expect we'll see a equivalence with VAT-exclusive US price(ie $250 without tax in US, £250 in UK). It's a shame, cos that £50 window and response to it feels really really variable to me.

£225 it is then :p

Don't really want to wake up at 4am, but now the hype is building, I'm debating it. Hope preorders don't go up early on the Nintendo store.

Count me in for getting up for four! I usually get up at 5.15 anyway, so I guess it'll be a case of watching the presentation then carrying on with my usual routine! Very hyped about it - I'll probably try to go to bed a bit earlier than usual, but probably won't be able to sleep!

I find it weird they're telling us in a timezone that isn't currently being observed.

Speak for yourself mate.

I'm currently sitting in my shorts and flipflops, tossing a few bangers on the BBQ. Celebrate British Summer Time all year long.

I was adamant I wouldn't sabotage my day by waking up at 4am for it.

When @Ashley asked me to be his date for tomorrow I flat out refused to get up for it, promising myself I'd wake up at 6:30 and watch it before getting the train...

Just set my alarm for 3:55am :p

Weirdly when I open that YouTube link on my phone it says it's at 5am. But 8 hours from now is definitely 4am.