NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

That's the complete opposite of what I would like...

Well this rumour is basically pointing to it being a Wii U in reverse, so ::shrug:

Then again, that's assuming that the whole thing isn't actually total bunk anyway :p

This article from NintendoLife has really sold me on the concept. Especially the detachable controllers:

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/07/talking_point_considering_the_angles_of_a_portable_and_dynamic_nintendo_nx

That's a great read! Definitely made me rethink my stance on the detachable controllers...

In my mind, though, the X2 has to be in this thing if these rumours are to be believed at all. As much as I understand Nintendo wanting to drive the price down, the X2 has many benefits which the X1 seems to lack.

As for pricing, I want to say this doesn't go past £250, or anywhere near, and being around £40 a game?

Uh, hello? Tell that to the PSP.

5162924000_76d02485c8.jpg

Gross.

I'm sure the Vita suffers from this as well. Hell, even the WiiU has this problem from time to time.

2972444-xeno2.jpg

Way too much info, and yet, I can't read a damn thing!

C'mon you cant choose Japanese games. The country can do many great things, but UI is not one of them ;)

Depending on how big the screen actually is developers could choose to split the screen up if they really wanted to.

Or I think it might be a case of people just clinging on to what they know. Half temped to trawl the archives to reactions to when the DS was first shown to compare.

Still not sure how I feel about this, will wait for the official Nintendo reveal and see what the prices and games are like before passing judgement. The below excerpt from MCV worries me, however:

MCV has spoken to one person with hands-on experience with the machine. Their assessment? "It feels like a bit of a novelty."

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-nx-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-transforming-portable/0170297

I'll be happy to see portables go back to a single screen, to be honest :heh:

With the DS, I felt there were loads of exciting games that made use of the fact there were two screens. This was aided by both screens being largely the same as each other, apart from the touch capabilities of the bottom screen. The fact that the main 3DS screen was far superior to the lower touch screen meant that the focus seemed to shift to the the top screen almost entirely with the touch screen relegated to a HUD or Map.

I'm sure there were exceptions, but I feel it's time to revert back to a single, quality screen that doesn't require us to divide our attention!

This is the thing I don't understand. People seem to insist that these things need to have massive and unique features to be justified. Why is that? That logic doesn't fly. Why aren't QoL improvements good enough for it?

C'mon you cant choose Japanese games. The country can do many great things, but UI is not one of them ;)

I raise you Nintendo games.

large.jpg

That HUD is customisable as well! Thanks, second screen.

This is the thing I don't understand. People seem to insist that these things need to have massive and unique features to be justified. Why is that? That logic doesn't fly. Why aren't QoL improvements good enough for it?

Oh my daze! So much this!

haha, maybe they could outright copy pokemon go and include AR local pokemon catching... with specific pokemon that are restricted to a continent, or maybe even a country :P

I think it will simply have Pokémon Go. And lots of other mobile games.

That's why the controllers detach: for extra portability when you want to play touch-screen only mobile games.

large.jpg

tgXs8yA.jpg?1

They don't seem that different to me. Sure the map's a bit big but there's not much difference other than that.

They don't seem that different to me. Sure the map's a bit big but there's not much difference other than that.

I've heard many complaints about the Assassin's Creed HUD's getting in the way. Particularly when multiple objectives happen at one time.

HUD.jpg

This is a better example of the point I'm trying to make.

Those are on screen tips for first time players...

Well I've never personally had an issue with an AC hud. Those bigger boxes only tend to appear when receiving a mission if memory serves, though I haven't played that particular AC. And you can always turn things off if you don't need help with button assignments, etc.

If these leaks turn out to be true then I'm not sold yet. Handhelds aren't really my thing anyway - even one that can plug into a TV. I guess I'll have to wait for any software announcements.

Those are on screen tips for first time players...

It's still taking up a lot of space.

But it's SUPPOSED to take up a lot of space... You're really struggling to justify this. You prefer two screens, fine, a lot of people don't think it's a huge loss. Just accept it. Your weak arguments and images aren't going to sway anyone.

Still not sure how I feel about this, will wait for the official Nintendo reveal and see what the prices and games are like before passing judgement. The below excerpt from MCV worries me, however:

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/nintendo-nx-the-pros-and-cons-of-a-transforming-portable/0170297

You could describe each of their consoles since the DS in the same way.

Quality of Life is a strange thing to claim for a second screen. I like the keyboard of the PS4 but I wouldn't call it a QoL improvement. Each their own i suppose but the usage of the term struck me.

large.jpg

Yeah obviously across a whole country there are going to be good ones, I was just generalising. ;)

Oh my daze! So much this!

MVC comments on price worry me.

I'm thinking of a cheap looking device with a poor screen.

It's still taking up a lot of space.

Well you could always do it the Nintendo way, which is to fill the whole screen with a talking owl or fish, who'll tell you how to equip your sword, stopping the gameplay entirely.

*winky face*

But it's SUPPOSED to take up a lot of space... You're really struggling to justify this. You prefer two screens, fine, a lot of people don't think it's a huge loss. Just accept it. Your weak arguments and images aren't going to sway anyone.

Well, yeah. On a massive TV, it doesn't matter so much.

For a portable though, it really does. But fine, we'll see how weak my argument is when you get stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Well, yeah. On a massive TV, it doesn't matter so much.

For a portable though, it really does. But fine, we'll see how weak my argument is when you get stuff like Xenoblade Chronicles 3D.

Why would they release the game again :)

And fact is, developers need to learn how to make better more untuitive HUDS/UIs.

The odd game out of a thousand that would benefit two screens still doesn't justify it. WOuld the Wii U be justified JUST because of nintendoland? I love it but wouldn't say that. I reckon maybe 20 games have great second screen uses and people still don't think it was worth it.

So IGN, WSJ, Kotaku and MCV corroborate the Eurogamer article.

Fair to say it's real I think.

So IGN, WSJ, Kotaku and MCV corroborate the Eurogamer article.

Fair to say it's real I think.

IGN:Rumour

WSJ seems to confirm... though I can't access any articles and see first hand.

Kotaku:Rumour

MCV:rumour

Quoting isn't corroborating... maybe the WSJ does corroborate though - does it provide additional info? I'm not a subscriber and haven't been able to view their article/s...

The more I hear about this, the more I'm not convinced. Feels too much of a Wii U situation - with yet another uncalled for gimmick that will most likely raise costs and keep third parties sitting on the fence again.

Really don't know if I can be arsed, especially with the cream of the crop games like FF15 coming out on the PS4 - which will likely be cheaper than the NX and still more powerful/ better aligned for third party support.

Again, it's all going to be about the games - and nothing so far is indicating that Nintendo will be rolling out the sleeping franchises that we all want.

My only pull to the NX is Breath of the Wild really, but if the NX experience won't even be upgraded technically then I'd rather pay the £40 for the U version.

I dont really want to experience home console games on a portable device. I buy console games for a full scale 50", surround sound, couch experience - not on a shaky bus or train, or with sun glare and limited audio. Ugh.

IGN:Rumour

WSJ seems to confirm... though I can't access any articles and see first hand.

Kotaku:Rumour

MCV:rumour

Quoting isn't corroborating... maybe the WSJ does corroborate though - does it provide additional info? I'm not a subscriber and haven't been able to view their article/s...

The IGN article on the eurogamer article uses the words "IGN has also verified this information from a separate source." That's corroborating.

If this is all wrong then someone is on one hell of a windup exercise.

Edited by liger05

The IGN article on the eurogamer article uses the words "IGN has also verified this information from a separate source." That's corroborating.

If this is all wrong then someone is on one hell of a windup exercise.

OK I skim read it... I didn't spot that, I only saw

Let's pretend the recent NX rumors are true, what does this mean for Nintendo's next gaming device?

If these rumors are true,

Different article perhaps??

I'm not able to look through the site properly... because I'm in France google is punishing me.... the best it seems to give me from IGN is "tout ceci est à prendre avec des pincettes tant qu'aucune annonce officielle n'a été faite. " Which basically translates to "All this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt as no official announcement had been made"

Edited by Pestneb