NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I vote that we wait for Nintendo to confirm it all and then we shut this thread down. I want it recorded for posterity.

PS. This all sounds pretty much what everyone was probably expecting. Bring me my single Nintendo & PC future.

You think euro gamer would run this story based on rumour? This would of been backed up my multiple sources.

In regard to price I assume this will be more expensive than the Nvidia shield and Nintendo say they won't sell at a loss.

£249?

The "Female Link" in Breath of the Wild was supported by "multiple sources", too. That doesn't mean it's true

But it was never referred to as fact by Eurogamer. There's a difference between multiple sources claiming something (which can be anyone), and publishing something based on how much you trust your sources. Anyway I'm not saying this is 100% certain, just that I would be very surprised if Eurogamer embarrasses themselves over this.

But it was never referred to as fact by Eurogamer. There's a difference between multiple sources claiming something (which can be anyone), and publishing something based on how much you trust your sources. Anyway I'm not saying this is 100% certain, just that I would be very surprised if Eurogamer embarrasses themselves over this.

Everyone makes mistakes.

I have a reputation on the Internet for providing Pokémon news the fastest and being the most trustworthy, but even I've made mistakes.

I think you guys are in denial. Eurogamer have strong form when it comes to hardware rumours. They had a lot of the details on the PS4 Neo, too.

Publishing a rumour that there will be a female Link (did Eurogamer do that?) and having the confidence to give details about the console and a whole article on what it's powered by are on completely different levels.

It's clear we don't know everything about the console. There are gaps to be filled in. But this is a strong indication of the direction that Nintendo are going in.

In terms of my impressions, I'm personally not sure about the detachable controllers aspect of it, would prefer to have a proper controller for playing on the TV, it really depends on the form factor of the device.

Edited by Mr-Paul

The only way I can accept that this is legit is if this is just one of multiple form factors, which was described by Iwata, so there'd be a full home console unit, then this, otherwise it just doesn't mesh with what we know.

We have to be missing something big

Edited by Serebii

They can say it's not a hybrid without using those exact words.

Also, this is far from confirmed right now. Don't treat rumours and reports as fact. Come on.

Well exactly, it was down to the interpretation of those words, which I didn't agree with you on. And even if they out right said it, didn't mean it wasn't a possibility as of course companies lie about stuff they're working on.

But anyways, it's not important anymore. It is a hybrid, and although it isn't confirmed, do yu genuinely believe there isn't a chance of this being 100% true?

You need to stop clinging onto things that were said over a year ago. Plans change, and Nintendo aren't necessarily going to give everything away in their public statements. If it is just one console, handheld and home console in one, they weren't lying about it being a home console.

I'm still waiting on my Mother 3 localisation... :indeed:

True. But again, I bet it happens!

The only way I can accept that this is legit is if this is just one of multiple form factors, which was described by Iwata, so there'd be a full home console unit, then this, otherwise it just doesn't mesh with what we know.

This fit in precisely with everything we know and utter logic.

- Nintendo have had dwindling 3rd parties for a long time, they simply can't develop for two devices, having on e device solves this problem.

- They are a Japanese company, where handhelds are king, but gaming is bigger in the west, where home console is king, one device solves this problem.

- mobile is getting bigger and bigger, it's where the kids and "casuals" gave moved to, Nintendos typical market, having a mobile focussed machine that can be turned into a small screened device (like a mobile) may appeal to these people, so this makes sense

- it's different to what sony and MS are doing

What about it DOESN'T make sense?

Detachable parts sounds the most skeptical thing for me. Kids lose things.

I think people are being a bit harsh on @Mr\-Paul quite rightly points out, plans change and it could be that they have simply changed direction whilst maintaining the idea of playing a game on the go and on TV.

I'm not against this idea but my concern is that a game being played on the TV in a home environment is going to be limited by the output of a handheld device, which in itself must be limited for other reasons, namely battery life.

Either way, let's see what happens. A reveal by the end of September is virtually guaranteed at this point.

This is the one thing I'd agree with, it has to be more than this.

Euro gamer won't be 100% accurate but leaks never are. No doubt though there are plenty of elements of truth.

Detachable parts sounds the most skeptical thing for me.

I thought that part sounded most like Nintendo. A lot of people refer to them as a toy company (in a good way), and this thing certainly fits the bill.

Wow, I've just been reading the last four or so pages and it's been an experience. I'm not sure where I stand on this subject at all. I'm definitely not excited...the NX seems to be going down a path that I don't personally have any interest in trekking down.

Eurogamer have a fantastic reputation, so I can't and won't disregard this as bullshit. But, there's a part of me that hopes that they are dropping a massive bollock here. I've got a lot of questions about this...hope Nintendo just come out with the information sometime soon.

Just spent an age reading reactions on gaf, I was expecting them all to be negative but it actually seems to lean more towards positive, which I found very surprising. Or at least a 'wait and see' type reaction.

Indeed. 'Brothers in the same ecosystem' and 'You could see more form factors' suggests they've had a slight change of heart over the last 18 months, hence this move.

I don't think it does. Think about it... The 3ds IS due it's successor before the Wii U. The Wii U had a premature death.

So now we get this form factor. Probably it was originally intended to be the 3ds main successor, this one kinda covers both bases, but will probably be aimed mainly at the home side?

I just have to say, if this is true I am amazed... I considered this outcome, but dismissed it and believed it to be impossible.

This thread just got a lot more interesting though!

Tom Phillips confirmed that it is two detachable controllers and not just two halves of one whole controller.

Not feeling that at all. Doesnt sound very portable.

So what if the handheld part of it used Tegra X1, but you clip it into the base-station dock thing to hook it up to the TV and that has a Tegra X2 in it..? Will that bring it up to speed when playing on the TV?

I don't know if i believe this, its a little too close to this

slide002.jpg

so right now i think this is similar to the leak before

that said, because its so similar perhaps Nintendo have refined it?

If this is real then nintendo have semi dropped from the home console market, but not quite, its a savvy way for them to combine the home and portable market - imagine being able to play Pokemon portably and on a TV but also do the same with the next GTA, the next COD etc? that could be revolutionary for the games market and could see nintendo take the top spot once again, as those who want a single console can, and those who buy a ps4/xbone AND a portable will also by the NX

I think if the claims of Tegra X2 are as good as they say and this is Xbone (just below Ps4) levels of power so can play ports of console games and portables, then that would be amazing

I'd like the dock to be similar to a laptop dock connected to my TV, and allow a WiiU pro like controller to be purchased as a peripheral if you don't want just to use detachable controllers

What is the technical chances of any dock having an inbuilt hard drive and ram upgrade so its more powerful when conntected to a tv? i could see the dock forming a sort of expansion drive where you store/install your library of games, with the actual portable element having space to have a small quantity of the games copied over for portable play or just use the cartridges

if they went this route it would explain carts - install the game to the dock/system and perhaps carry cartridges for portable play

I just hope that the VC games are cross buy or you pay a lump sum (say 10% of each games value) or subscription to get them all back for NX - ideally if you own them you should just have access to them with the nintendo account

I'm still saying from those sketches it seems a little bogus, but i'd be relatively open to this

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/06/nintendo-files-new-patent-for-handheld-device

large.jpg

"handheld information processing apparatus"

Just thinking, if the NX is the handheld component and Nintendo are waiting for the "supplemental computing device" to be ready....?

A Wall Street Journal report earlier this year suggested the NX would be a mobile/console hybrid, including a portable device that "could either be used in conjunction with the console or taken on the road for separate use"

Back in March, late Nintendo President Satoru Iwata described the NX as "the new hardware system with a brand-new concept." Earlier this month, current Nintendo President Tatsumi Kimishima told Time that the NX is "different and obviously a new experience," that is not "the next version of Wii or Wii U. It’s something unique and different. It’s something where we have to move away from those platforms in order to make it something that will appeal to our consumer base.”
Edited by Pestneb

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/07/06/nintendo-files-new-patent-for-handheld-device

large.jpg

Just thinking, if the NX is the handheld component and Nintendo are waiting for the "supplemental computing device" to be ready....?

Hmm so that ties in with my thoughts......

guess i'm starting to buy into this

So the NX is this device with a docking unit to allow proper on TV play (possibly accept Bluetooth controllers etc) and also be used portably, with a suplimentary computing device (thinking like the N64 expansion pack) that beefs up the system.

If thats right they can do incremental updates like a PC, the suplimentary computing device can easily be replaced and later down the line the portable aspect itself could be replaced as the gap between it and the Sup increases......

ah fucking i'm going all in this is real

Hype train here i come

It would make a lot of sense if it was all tied into the supplemental computing device patent but I think in action the supplemental computing power would come from a local device, rather than the cloud computing that the patent application suggests. It seems too unpredictable and there are too many external factors operating for that to be the case, but as I mentioned earlier I can see Nintendo releasing a more powerful home console only variant in a couple of years that would boost performance of existing NX games when played at home.

My only worry from the info we've seen so far is that the controllers in Eurogamers mock up look incredibly unergonomic when disconnected from the screen, I would hope that they release some more conventional controllers to use when playing at home.