NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

It adds size and quality over two smaller, cheaper screens

Size doesn't matter. It's how you use it :p

I'd much rather two slightly smaller screens with the benefits of the dualscreen capabilities over a bigger single screen

I think developers would benefit more from having one bigger screen rather than two. Maybe the time of dual screens has passed? Is it really a neccessity now for handheld gaming?

I can see the benefit of having a larger touchscreen. (I'm assuming this is touchscreen?) Especially if we're talking about the idea of having developers create their own "on screen controls", so using those buttons in addition to the controls alongside the controller.

Size doesn't matter. It's how you use it :p

I'd much rather two slightly smaller screens with the benefits of the dualscreen capabilities over a bigger single screen

I think you're overselling the value of a second screen. It's also another thing developers have to think about. Dual screen handhelds were fun, but one high quality big multitouch screen would be of far more value I think.

So if it actually is anything like Eurogamer suggests, I'd like to see something along the lines of this:

Form factor similar to the below pictures, although I'd have the following:

A) Clickable snub Analogue Sticks as opposed to Analogue Sliders.

B) Shoulder button, but a cross between a smaller version of the Gamecube button and a scroll-wheel. So it scrolls and depresses to a click.

[tweet]758207806642253825[/tweet]
[tweet]757946786162020352[/tweet]

But having seen the following picture I've also had some more thoughts...

slide002.jpg

The screen part of the portable has a sensor bar. You dock the screen, connect it to the TV, upscaling occurs, and you use the 2 control parts of the device like Wiimote+'s but with all the button as I said above.

So effectively you have a HD super-Wii, which has a relatively traditional method of input too:

2 clickable analogue sticks

D-Pad

4 shoulder buttons (2 of which are a scroll)

4 face buttons

...all on 2 motion sensor control parts. Throw in a camera on the back of the screen section for some AR gaming (Pokemon) whilst on the go and voila!

EDIT: VR, ala mobile phone VR, as per what @dazzybee says below too...

That's my dream (with OS level Party Chat of course :p )!!!

So essentially this:

8D3814FE-72BA-4D2E-B402-39175A7A0098_zpsyls2sdas.png

Edited by Kav

Surely it needs a pro controller bundled in too though for to play?

Also have a sneaky suspicion they may bundle in a plastic VR headset to mimic the mobile phones of now....

Not in your wildest dreams. Not even the New3DS lasts that long!

Even the highest end phones and tablets barely last 3 hours while playing games and those things are physically around 90% pure battery!

Expect 3 hours at best and that's if we're lucky.

It of course depends on the game but I do believe that my New 3DS XL can keep me playing for about 5 hours. Fire Emblem Awakening for instance did that.

But of course, it might be a bit high, though 3 hours is a bit too little.

Being able to charge via USB would certainly help, it's annoying the current 3DS doesn't allow that

If you disconnect both controllers and turn them on their sides they share the same form ( great for SNES games if R and L are included), but the XY AB buttons will be rotated out of axis and in the wrong places ( that will be a massive head fuck to get around control set-ups). One way to deal with this is that free form screen idea Ninty patented, what if it extends to the controllers and lets games designers choose what goes where (ignoring cost of course, I dream).

Really not digging the detachable controllers idea. Sounds like trouble.

Also please nothing which resembles wii. Have to move away from this.

As for VR I can't see it as the screen resolution will be too low.

Edited by liger05

Surely it needs a pro controller bundled in too though for to play?

This is one of the main things that is bothering me about the recent revelations. Can't we just have one controller that plays all the games without needing dozens of different peripherals laying around? :hmm:

There were people over at my house at the weekend. Nintendo Land and Wii Party U got played. The amount of faffing around passing and switching controllers between players makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. It's so cumbersome and such a mess :nono:

I'm definitely worried about how this is all going to turn out..

This is one of the main things that is bothering me about the recent revelations. Can't we just have one controller that plays all the games without needing dozens of different peripherals laying around? :hmm:

There were people over at my house at the weekend. Nintendo Land and Wii Party U got played. The amount of faffing around passing and switching controllers between players makes me want to punch a hole in the wall. It's so cumbersome and such a mess :nono:

I'm definitely worried about how this is all going to turn out..

This. I'm not feeling modules which can be lost and broken.

I think you're overselling the value of a second screen. It's also another thing developers have to think about. Dual screen handhelds were fun, but one high quality big multitouch screen would be of far more value I think.

No, I think you're underselling it.

Handhelds really do benefit from having that extra screen. Especially games that use a lot of HUD's.

Here's a great example. This is the standard screen of Monster Hunter Generations.

WVW69jceJaIb4mzVve

If you squint past that map, you can just about make out that mountain.

But using the bottom screen, this game allows players to move elements of the HUD to the bottom screen. It's completely possible to have all that information off of the main action. Giving you this.

WVW69jceJrckjjciGi

It's so clean! It's almost like playing a cutscene!

I would miss that. It's amazing how much nicer games feel to play with that added screen freeing up the main action. Whether it be Chrono Trigger removing the need for that battle window blocking the view...

ctdsarr-thumb.jpg14a14cbfe37b22c92b06e909485e3142-650-80.jpg

You tell me which one looks nicer.

Or the 3D Zelda remakes giving you more items at a time than the N64 version ever could!

ovjdwjkwsycnk8b6ehho.bmp

6 items! All without pausing the game! And a much nicer map available at all times!

Take away that second screen, you get stuff like this!

Y7jAj8r.jpg

Yeah, TV's don't suffer as much from clutter, but going back to single screen portable gaming feels like a backwards step. And I'd be very upset to see it go.

EDIT: Well, I say TV's don't suffer as much, but some games could really use that second screen...

tgXs8yA.jpg?1

No idea what Assassin's Creed game this is, but that HUD needs to be offed bad.

Edited by Glen-i

I'll be happy to see portables go back to a single screen, to be honest :heh:

With the DS, I felt there were loads of exciting games that made use of the fact there were two screens. This was aided by both screens being largely the same as each other, apart from the touch capabilities of the bottom screen. The fact that the main 3DS screen was far superior to the lower touch screen meant that the focus seemed to shift to the the top screen almost entirely with the touch screen relegated to a HUD or Map.

I'm sure there were exceptions, but I feel it's time to revert back to a single, quality screen that doesn't require us to divide our attention!

Edited by nekunando

Also, you're not taking into account a BIGGER main screen, meaning things won't be as cluttered. I like 2 screen gaming, but not bothered either way. It really isn't as dramatic as your examples though with it all on such a tiny screen.

Also, you're not taking into account a BIGGER main screen, meaning things won't be as cluttered. I like 2 screen gaming, but not bothered either way. It really isn't as dramatic as your examples though with it all on such a tiny screen.

Uh, hello? Tell that to the PSP.

5162924000_76d02485c8.jpg

Gross.

I'm sure the Vita suffers from this as well. Hell, even the WiiU has this problem from time to time.

2972444-xeno2.jpg

Way too much info, and yet, I can't read a damn thing!

Edited by Glen-i

I prefer everything to be on one screen so I can see it all at once. If I have to look at a different screen then that info may as well be in the pause menu.

ok.. so I know Nintendo said no to VR... but

A visor that you dock the screen into, hold each of the controls in your hands.

new 3ds tech tracks your eyes and provides a perfect 3d image, no lag using similar tech to the gamepad (thinking lego city on the Wii U, or in Nintendoland).

They have the basic tech with 3ds and Wii U. if they have made a break through and can give a VR experience without sickness... and for those who prefer not having vr, they can play on their tv, or just as a traditional handheld...

I prefer everything to be on one screen so I can see it all at once. If I have to look at a different screen then that info may as well be in the pause menu.

See, I can understand this for something like the Gamepad. But on the DS/3DS, I struggle to understand how a quick glance can't give you the information you need. The screens are so close together that it shouldn't be distracting at all.

Well, yes, that's all great and good, but one question remains: Was he the master, or the apprentice? is this "replacing" the 3DS line as a handheld, the Wii U as a home console, or both?

Because either way, if it is in some way replacing the handheld for Nintendo, there's one massive property which is first party that HAS to be affected by such a change to one screen: Pokémon. Yeah, you can see why @Serebii is doubting this from this alone, in my opinion.

The series has thrived on one screen for ~10 years, and has thrived on two for around the same length of time. I mean, recent changes, especially to the layout of the main series games, could make this viable, such as the attacks on the bottom screen in a battle coming from the right hand side, which could easily be used in an instance where there is only one screen. But then, what happens to a massive franchise such as this when we move to one screen which can be upscaled to the TV? Are we getting a handheld Pokémon colosseum game, for example, if this is the case?

Just using Pokémon as an example, of course, but it will have effects on the entire Nintendo catalogue, considering that it's the only major player to do anything with two screens - handheld or TV.

that being said I sort of now want a Pokémon Colosseum game for the NX with controls on the pad and the game presented on the TV...GOSH DARN WHY WAS THIS NOT ON THE NX?!

Well, yes, that's all great and good, but one question remains: Was he the master, or the apprentice? is this "replacing" the 3DS line as a handheld, the Wii U as a home console, or both?

Because either way, if it is in some way replacing the handheld for Nintendo, there's one massive property which is first party that HAS to be affected by such a change to one screen: Pokémon. Yeah, you can see why @Serebii is doubting this from this alone, in my opinion.

The series has thrived on one screen for ~10 years, and has thrived on two for around the same length of time. I mean, recent changes, especially to the layout of the main series games, could make this viable, such as the attacks on the bottom screen in a battle coming from the right hand side, which could easily be used in an instance where there is only one screen. But then, what happens to a massive franchise such as this when we move to one screen which can be upscaled to the TV? Are we getting a handheld Pokémon colosseum game, for example, if this is the case?

Just using Pokémon as an example, of course, but it will have effects on the entire Nintendo catalogue, considering that it's the only major player to do anything with two screens - handheld or TV.

that being said I sort of now want a Pokémon Colosseum game for the NX with controls on the pad and the game presented on the TV...GOSH DARN WHY WAS THIS NOT ON THE NX?!

I imagine the hardware will have registers to feed back which mode it is in. I presume developers will be able to alter the way the game plays in different modes. I really don't see a difference between playing pokemon at home on your handheld on the big screen and playing pokemon at home on a tiny screen... the main objection I gather is that a home console doesn't allow the social side of pokemon gaming. Maybe the handheld experience could draw inspiration from pokemon go a bit more, detecting fellow nx pokemon players as you approach them and indicating to you that now is a good time to stop and battle... it would feel a little bit more like real life pokemon... haha, maybe they could outright copy pokemon go and include AR local pokemon catching... with specific pokemon that are restricted to a continent, or maybe even a country :P

lots of potential for this console, but of course we need to see what it actually is first!

haha, maybe they could outright copy pokemon go and include AR local pokemon catching... with specific pokemon that are restricted to a continent, or maybe even a country :P

post-10052-you-get-the-hell-out-gif-Imgur-gw03.gif

Don't even joke about that. Are you trying to annoy me?

post-10052-you-get-the-hell-out-gif-Imgur-gw03.gif

Don't even joke about that. Are you trying to annoy me?

Not specifically, but I seem to be doing a good job of it recently! :laughing:

If the screen is big enough you can split the screen for backwards compatibility or just have the hud on screen - i've never had an issue with my Vita ever, or even the WiiU screen

If the screen is big enough you can split the screen for backwards compatibility or just have the hud on screen - i've never had an issue with my Vita ever, or even the WiiU screen

The WiiU screen is hardly portable.

And yet, I wouldn't call the Vita screen big enough to handle anything close to a complex HUD.

It's always possible that handheld play might be a single screen affair, while the home console experience uses two screens in tandem (ALA Wii U). The report did say that the "brain" of the unit would connect to the dock; that doesn't necessarily mean that the screen itself would have to be... Perhaps the "brain" is actually a unit that can be disconnected from the screen itself, and when you do, the screen just becomes a dumb terminal that streams video from the base unit, like the Wii U Gamepad.

Perhaps the screen can be used as a Wii U Gamepad when playing on TV, while disconnecting activates "Off TV" play? Iwata did say that the NX was supposed to absorb the Wii U archtecture after all...

It's always possible that handheld play might be a single screen affair, while the home console experience uses two screens in tandem (ALA Wii U). The report did say that the "brain" of the unit would connect to the dock; that doesn't necessarily mean that the screen itself would have to be... Perhaps the "brain" is actually a unit that can be disconnected from the screen itself, and when you do, the screen just becomes a dumb terminal that streams video from the base unit, like the Wii U Gamepad.

Perhaps the screen can be used as a Wii U Gamepad when playing on TV, while disconnecting activates "Off TV" play? Iwata did say that the NX was supposed to absorb the Wii U archtecture after all...

That's the complete opposite of what I would like...