NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Don't understand people saying why would we want to play a big adventure on a small screen. Don't. THATS LITERALLY THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS THING! Games can be played on either, and work just as well. The fact you can play portable, doesn't take away from the fact you can play it on the tele.

Ofcourse, you won't understand until it releases and people realise it was t actually necessary - just like the Wii U all over.

Old, down ports of third party games again due to it not being fully specced up as the competition - the same problems.

That's why I'm calling this rumour fake. I think Nintendo would know better than to do this and tear itself a new hole.

The plot thickens. Eurogamer posted this article in 2009 claiming the 3DS would use nvidia chips. Could they be wrong again?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ds2-vs-psp2-article

That wasn't really wrong though... At the time, Nintendo were actually planning on using Tegra in the 3DS. But somewhere along the way, Nvidia failed to deliver the chip performance they promised to Nintendo, so they were dumped in favour of DMP and their Pica 200 GPU.

That's not to say that Eurogamer haven't been wrong before mind you, just not in that particular case. Hell, it might have even happened again here. Nvidia have been promising the moon with Tegra for years now and have still never managed to truly deliver on their promises...

Edited by Dcubed

That's why I'm calling this rumour fake. I think Nintendo would know better than to do this and tear itself a new hole.

I think releasing an expensive PS4/XBO type console and trying to compete with them would be tearing itself a new hole.

Ofcourse, you won't understand until it releases and people realise it was t actually necessary - just like the Wii U all over.

Old, down ports of third party games again due to it not being fully specced up as the competition - the same problems.

I think we need to get over thinking third parties are coming back to Nintendo. It ain't happening. And it's not quite the same as the Wii u, as the is a 3ds and Wii u bundled together, so a very diffferent, more enticing proposition. How much more enticing is a different question.

@dazzybee No but the fact it is mobile means its hardware will be limited by what can be mobile. It will be a generation behind the new console refreshes coming soon I reckon, meaning Nintendo will have the same problem again as what they had with Wii U and Wii.

Well like you've fought for since they were announced, the hardware refreshes not actually move development away from PS4 standard, so it won't be that far behind. But also, I just don't think it's an issue for Nintendo, this is going to be a Nintendo box.

Third parties will come back to Nintendo when Nintendo hardware starts selling, as with the Wii. From the sound of this thing, it has a better chance of selling than a super powerful PS4/XBO clone, IMO.

Instead of chasing new ways to play - why not focus on what has timelessly always appealed to home console gamers - powerful hardware, third parties, online connectivity...

Because history shows that just doesn't work for Ninty.

Gamecube was more powerful than PS2. And it didn't help one damn bit.

You say powerful hardware, but that comes at a price and releasing a console as expensive as PS4/XBone when those consoles have been out for quite a while now is potential suicide!

The average home console gamer is not gonna give a damn about a powerful console, because they already have that. Why buy another?

3rd Parties will only comeback if the system architecture is similar to the other consoles. Even if it was as powerful, 3rd Parties still wouldn't port their games if the architecture was too different as it'd cost too much to port across. If the architecture is similar then these costs will be driven down and it may be worthwhile porting.

You say powerful hardware, but that comes at a price and releasing a console as expensive as PS4/XBone when those consoles have been out for quite a while now is potential suicide!

The average home console gamer is not gonna give a damn about a powerful console, because they already have that. Why buy another?

The Gamecube's power had nothing to do with it's failure. It failed in spite of being powerful, not because of it.

Regarding NX, I'm really concerned about the controller. If I'm playing a game I ideally want an analogue stick and not a slider/D-Pad. With the Wii U, we've seen a number of games designed around the limitations of the Wiimote; I really hope we can go back to full analogue controls for Nintendo titles. i honestly can't remember the last Nintendo game I played that controlled beautifully and allowed players to express themselves. All of their Gamecube titles controlled beautifully, better than anything Sony or Microsoft put out that era imo.

Edited by Goron_3

The Gamecube's power had nothing to do with it's failure. It failed in spite of being powerful, not because of it.

Regarding NX, I'm really concerned about the controller. If I'm playing a game I ideally want an analogue stick and not a slider/D-Pad. With the Wii U, we've seen a number of games designed around the limitations of the Wiimote; I really hope we can go back to full analogue controls for Nintendo titles. i honestly can't remember the last Nintendo game I played that controlled beautifully and allowed players to express themselves. All of their Gamecube titles controlled beautifully, better than anything Sony or Microsoft put out that era imo.

But that's the point.. NX being powerful wouldn't automatically help it sell buckets. Look at the Wii.. I don't think anyone attempted arguing it came close to the PS of XB competition of its generation, yet it sold really well, especially initially. power, sadly, is not something that directly leads to better sales. This generation, from what I see, Wii U tried a new input that no one wanted.. Microsoft and Sony had nothing new to offer so just upped the specs of their consoles basically.. so power was the only differentiator, along with games that meant users were compelled to upgrade to enjoy the latest games fully. SO I think this gen power did matter. Next gen... if that terminology still works, who knows?

As for controls.. Splatoon is really good, when there isn't lag (or in the single player campaign). Mario Kart 8 controls really nicely too imo. But overall I would agree, that "click" moment doesn't happen as often as it should with a lot of games on the Wii U, certainly not as much as it did with the GC.. although perhaps an element of that is to do with age? :grin:

Edited by Pestneb

Simply not true - amongst the GCs problems were the stupid decision to use a media form which limited its ability to receive a heap of third party content - Getting tripe like FF:CC over FFX and Twin Snakes over MGS 2 & 3.

I remember annoying things like the GC version of Def Jam Vendetta and Need For Speed omitting several music tracks because it couldn't be stored on the GC discs.

Edited by King_V

People always miss the point on that. It doesn't matter if the gamecube didn't have as much support either (which was mostly down to other reasons), the point is that without a base level of system parity with your competitors you can't have most of those third party games by default. It's an automatic foul - it doesn't matter what good relations you foster with third parties if they stand to make much more money by making a game for PS4/X1, and for it to be costly for them to redesign the game to work on NX.

Well like you've fought for since they were announced, the hardware refreshes not actually move development away from PS4 standard, so it won't be that far behind. But also, I just don't think it's an issue for Nintendo, this is going to be a Nintendo box.

It'll be miles behind. There's no way NX, with its ability to play games on the go, will come close enough to PS4 for games to be easily ported. I mean, look at the size of the PS4. It'll be Wii U vs PS4 problems all over again.

I'll just post the tweet as it's easier than typing up a post myself:

[tweet]758586863049375744[/tweet]

Hope not. Pad looks like a mini remote control.

That's my concern. I'm worried detachable controllers means horrible controllers which are gimped.

Edited by liger05

It'll be miles behind. There's no way NX, with its ability to play games on the go, will come close enough to PS4 for games to be easily ported. I mean, look at the size of the PS4. It'll be Wii U vs PS4 problems all over again.

For third party AAA yes. But 3ds has some support so it'll probably keep all that. It'll be like the 3ds and Wii u added together with even better first party support. That's not a terrible proposition.

For third party AAA yes. But 3ds has some support so it'll probably keep all that. It'll be like the 3ds and Wii u added together with even better first party support. That's not a terrible proposition.

Thing is a handheld regardless of power wouldn't get western third party support. Handhelds are dead to those unless this thing sold an insane amount.

I think releasing an expensive PS4/XBO type console and trying to compete with them would be tearing itself a new hole.

It's this mentality that is putting Nintendo in this gimmick zone.

When Nintendo did compete and make right moves ala the Snes it was the most relevant console available. Even the N64, while making the wrong move in still using cartridges and limiting 3rd party support - it was still clearing house - and Nintendo were cocky AF with it, with adverts like "the most powerful console on the planet" and "You can't play this on PlayStation!".

Nintendo arguably haven't even TRIED to compete yet in making a powerful console with a standard medium, a decent online environment and architecture and a standard controller - so I don't how people can point blank say they can't compete - when they can release (with partners) an effectively shitty app technically in Pokemon Go and hit jackpot in a matter of weeks.

Point is ultimately its SOFTWARE that will push a system.

Thing is a handheld regardless of power wouldn't get western third party support. Handhelds are dead to those unless this thing sold an insane amount.

It's both. If it can have home console ports then it would. Is the new portable game? You think the games this will get are handheld games? No. Obviously you don't. Because you do know it's a ting as a home console as well so why use it being a handheld as an excuse?

Point is ultimately its SOFTWARE that will push a system.

Absolute myth. And if it was ever true it certainly isnt now. It's about so much more than just software.

If it is about software then Nintendo will be okay as their output should be insane for nx.

I think we need to get over thinking third parties are coming back to Nintendo. It ain't happening. And it's not quite the same as the Wii u, as the is a 3ds and Wii u bundled together, so a very diffferent, more enticing proposition. How much more enticing is a different question.

Question is who is enticed by this? Customary handheld gamers - sure. This is basically like having a GB Player bundled with your GameBoy.

But what about stern home console gamers? Who's home console experience has been limited by this consoles portability? Holding back graphical tech to cope with battery life and processing on the go.

I'm not going to subscribe to the belief that third parties are gone for good on Nintendo home consoles, when Nintendo generation after generation make it hard for them to put games on it. I would imagine third parties WANT to port their games as much as possible to get that mind share and influence.

There are people out there like me who close to despises handheld gaming and/or only use a 3DS as a Pokemon machine. Smash on 3DS was a terrible experience due to the size of the screen versus the amount of action going on. Can only imagine stuff like Pikmin will play on an 8" screen.

Absolute myth. And if it was ever true it certainly isnt now. It's about so much more than just software.

If it is about software then Nintendo will be okay as their output should be insane for nx.

If people see a game they want to play, they will buy the system they can play it on. One could argue that this wasn't strictly true about the Wii U, however. Splatoon, Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 should have shifted way, way more consoles, but didn't mainly because of poor marketing. The attach rate for all of these games is on levels that Sony / Microsoft could only dream of. Had Nintendo done more marketing wise, the Wii U would be in a lot more homes than it currently is.

People buy a games console primarily to play games, therefore software is generally king when it comes down to it. No software, no purchase. In this regard, as you say, Nintendo should be fine, but they have to market the damn thing.

Based on what? Their amazing first party support on the Wii U? Plat former after plat former and games omitting an obvious online mode. No Metroid, no 1080, no FZero, no Wave Race, no Excitebikes/Trucks.

Of course simply throwing a game out on the shelves won't sell if it's technically lacklustre and has little to no marketing but a dodgy one pager in a gaming magazine that's going bust in a couple of months.

Based on what? Their amazing first party support on the Wii U? Plat former after plat former and games omitting an obvious online mode. No Metroid, no 1080, no FZero, no Wave Race, no Excitebikes/Trucks.

Of course simply throwing a game out on the shelves won't sell if it's technically lacklustre and has little to no marketing but a dodgy one pager in a gaming magazine that's going bust in a couple of months.

Based on the fact that they don't have to split their first party offerings two ways and can focus entirely on one platform, which should mean double the number of games the Wii U had.

As for Metroid, 1080, F Zero, Wave Race, Excite Truck.... I would love to see those, but Starfox is a bigger IP than most of those and it didn't even sell 1 million.

As for Metroid, 1080, F Zero, Wave Race, Excite Truck.... I would love to see those, but Starfox is a bigger IP than most of those and it didn't even sell 1 million.

Starfox is a key example of bad first party support - it's a short game with no online, that should have been a launch title yet came at the end of the consoles life - all with minimal marketing, if any.

I think we need to remember the line "it needs to have software" includes breadth as well. Wii U has amazing games, nobody is denying it, but as an overall package the console is lacking in some areas (as is obviously true for other consoles). That's what the NX needs to really hit big numbers, but maybe Nintendo isn't hoping to hit giant numbers? Maybe they're looking to make a profit (obviously) but not trying to do the ridiculous 40+ million numbers any more.

Question is who is enticed by this? Customary handheld gamers - sure. This is basically like having a GB Player bundled with your GameBoy.

But what about stern home console gamers? Who's home console experience has been limited by this consoles portability? Holding back graphical tech to cope with battery life and processing on the go.

I'm not going to subscribe to the belief that third parties are gone for good on Nintendo home consoles, when Nintendo generation after generation make it hard for them to put games on it. I would imagine third parties WANT to port their games as much as possible to get that mind share and influence.

There are people out there like me who close to despises handheld gaming and/or only use a 3DS as a Pokemon machine. Smash on 3DS was a terrible experience due to the size of the screen versus the amount of action going on. Can only imagine stuff like Pikmin will play on an 8" screen.

but it;s not like that is it, because mobile tech is infinitely better and closer to home tech than it used to be. If tegra 1 is in-between Wii u and PS4 then is that THAT bad? And was the Wii U let down because of it's power? I think no to both personally. Wii Us problems weren't its power in my opinion.

You say 3rd parties want to port, well how come they stopped porting 360 and ps3 games to wii u very quickly then even though they were making games for those platforms? Having power parity didn't help there!

And agin, you keep saying you'll hate Pikmin on an 8" screen, play it on your tele then!!!!! Why do you keep saying this! It's mental you keep saying you don't want to play games on an 8" screen when you don't have to, truly truly bizarre.

Your argument is you think the home console power is being gimped for hanhehd. Stick to that argument. Not this utterly nonsensical don't want to play it on an 8" screen!

If people see a game they want to play, they will buy the system they can play it on. One could argue that this wasn't strictly true about the Wii U, however. Splatoon, Mario Maker and Mario Kart 8 should have shifted way, way more consoles, but didn't mainly because of poor marketing. The attach rate for all of these games is on levels that Sony / Microsoft could only dream of. Had Nintendo done more marketing wise, the Wii U would be in a lot more homes than it currently is.

People buy a games console primarily to play games, therefore software is generally king when it comes down to it. No software, no purchase. In this regard, as you say, Nintendo should be fine, but they have to market the damn thing.

You seem to be arguing with yourself - people buy a console if they see a game they want to play; yet you then said this didn't happen with Platoon, mario maker and mario kart 8 - make up your mind. Plus many other ps4 owners telling me nintendo games would sell more on ps4 because people don't want to buy a console to play nintendo games but would love to if they were on a ps4.

So... anyway. I really don't think software is king unfortunately. PS4 success proves that to me. A combination of software, services, perception and marketing all play a part.

Their first party line up on the wii u is pretty great yeah, 3DS is even better, now add those together. Now let's swap some games that they doubled up on for both platforms and add some new games. Now let's add in all the wii u games which have clearly been moved from wii u to NX and yeah i think their first party line up will be insanely good.

I think we need to remember the line "it needs to have software" includes breadth as well. Wii U has amazing games, nobody is denying it, but as an overall package the console is lacking in some areas (as is obviously true for other consoles). That's what the NX needs to really hit big numbers, but maybe Nintendo isn't hoping to hit giant numbers? Maybe they're looking to make a profit (obviously) but not trying to do the ridiculous 40+ million numbers any more.

Agree with all this. This is why I'm unsure whether it'll be successful or not, doesn't bother me, I've realised more than ever that my gaming sensibilities lie with nintendo so barring the odd game I'm catered for; but obviously isn't the case for most gamers and I don't see this changing that.