NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I'm not buying this. It completely flies in the face of every single thing Nintendo has said about the NX up to this point

What have they said? All I recall is hybrid (which this is) and general stuff about it being a new exciting idea, different from competition etc etc (which this is).

But then my memory is Dory.

I'm not buying this. It completely flies in the face of every single thing Nintendo has said about the NX up to this point

Haha, still refusing to accept it. As if Eurogamer would do this if there was any doubt whatsoever?!

The report mentions no backwards compatibility. Are we going to see the Virtual Console start from scratch AGAIN?

What changed? They don't believe they are in a position to release a home console now which could compete with the competition?

Personally I don't think there is any point releasing a home console if it's gimped on power. Nobody will buy it so maybe Nintendo are prepared to wait a few years before jumping back in.

What was needed was a new handheld but I'm really wondering about the battery life. This thing will need to last for hours.

The report mentions no backwards compatibility. Are we going to see the Virtual Console start from scratch AGAIN?

Oh please no. I was hoping it just meant retail/wii u.... To be honest I'm really hoping for virtual console and eshop of the wii u to be the day one... none of the same bullshit yet again!

Glad about that. It ain't required but well see if they continue with the ridiculous drip system of vc titles.

Interesting.

I love the idea of being able to play the same game at home and on the go, that's a really clever idea. My only worry with this thing is in terms of power. It certainly doesn't sound anywhere near as powerful as PS4/XBO and that could be a big stumbling block getting gamers on board.

Third party support I'm less bothered about, people already have their PS4 or XBO to play those games on.

Oh please no. I was hoping it just meant retail/wii u.... To be honest I'm really hoping for virtual console and eshop of the wii u to be the day one... none of the same bullshit yet again!

Agreed. I just think with the change in chip/architecture/whatever, if it isn't backwards compatible at all with Wii U/3DS, that'll mean it's not compatible with download titles either like VC.

I don't download them anyway except on rare occasions but I hope for those who do they either have them all available on launch, or if they're being drip fed, if you've bought it on the Wii U or 3DS you can download for free on the new console when it's available.

What changed? They don't believe they are in a position to release a home console now which could compete with the competition?

Personally I don't think there is any point releasing a home console if it's gimped on power. Nobody will buy it so maybe Nintendo are prepared to wait a few years before jumping back in.

What was needed was a new handheld but I'm really wondering about the battery life. This thing will need to last for hours.

Completely agree with all of this. A standard home console mid generation like this would be suicide. Maybe in a few years.

NX sounds like it's something different and quite a clever concept, but battery life and graphics need to be good. I hope the base unit that connects to your TV ups the console's ability, but reports suggest not :(

The rumours were pretty strong about Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker being ported over. I wonder if this is still the case.

Edited by Ronnie
Automerged Doublepost

I really enjoy handheld gaming and playing on my Gamepad, it feels more intimate in a way, so I'm happy for Nintendo to venture further down that path but I do hope it's noticeably more powerful than the Wii U. I know Emily Rogers has been wrong on a few things (like a female playable character in Zelda) but I'm hoping that she is right about the machine being expensive, that would at least point towards it being quite a powerful console.

I hope that we don't get any more information through leaks, I'd like to actually see it for the first time when Nintendo show it off.

Hope Nintendo don't re-release all Virtual Console games, and expect everyone to pay again for the same games. Hopefully they'll be "updated" for free for everyone whom currently owns them. And have a full library available at launch.

As for this idea of the NX, sounds interesting. However, i can't see it being portable. Would have to be a significant size if it's incorporating detachable controllers. If it's a hybrid design, maybe it lets you upload the game to a controller and it goes with you as a portable machine (like the Vita). I can't see the entire console being portable, especially if it's got 2 detachable controllers.

Completely agree with all of this. A standard home console mid generation like this would be suicide. Maybe in a few years.

NX sounds like it's something different and quite a clever concept, but battery life and graphics need to be good. I hope the base unit that connects to your TV ups the console's ability, it sounds like it does, otherwise why not just plug it in with an HDMI cable.

The rumours were pretty strong about Smash, Splatoon and Mario Maker being ported over. I wonder if this is still the case.

I guess just for ease. If there's a dock, like the gamepad/3ds charging doc it's so easy to slot in and take out etc. Hope it does more too, but it really wouldn't surprise me if it didn't.

Very surprised people are still doubting this to be honest. Eurogamer wouldn't have run this story without some serious credible sources.

Maybe Nintendo will release a home console in a few years.

Why did they say they were worried about competitors copying?

It'll be the scrollable wheels shoulder buttons on the controller :)

To be fair, there's still a lot we don't know. Maybe the controller has a few tricks!

Zelda Wii U to be the definitive version?

Call me disappointed if that's the case.

I do wonder about one thing: will this have things like GPS and 3g/4g support?

As the controller parts clip off (so it will just be a screen), I could see them making it easy for mobile phone games to be ported for it.

A more locked-down "smartphone" would also be great for kids. Although I highly doubt that it will actually have calling functions.

I'm not sure I like the idea of playing a game like Zelda on the bus. I really hope the home console experience will be a step up from the Wii U, but I'm worried it will be on par, tech wise...

It'll be interesting if they do end up using the Tegra X2 as Eurogamer suggests. From what they say the X2 could produce results comparable to the current PS4 and Xbox One models but would have the advantage of being portable. The architecture is also similar enough that multi platform games could be ported relatively simply, and because developers will still be looking to support the original PS4 and Xbox One models, Nintendo could benefit from that.

To me it sounds like Nintendo could be doing iterative consoles in their own way, establishing a platform through handheld gaming first before releasing a beefed up home console variant in a couple of years time. They could feasibly continue with that sort of cycle, releasing a new handheld unit that matches the power of the previous home console every 4 years and releasing another more powerful home version every 4 years too. It would give the consumer more confidence that their purchase will last a few years, whilst allowing the company to stay in step with the other manufacturers.

A thing we haven't considered is hard drive? Maybe this is in the base unit, and there's a simple way to move games to the handheld for playing...

Can't wait to see what it looks like. Has to look way better than the gamepad. Needs to be slick with a good screen and something that looks high end and not like a toy.

Exactly. Leaks area inevitable but don't do anything to take away the buzz from an official reveal.

That's like saying spoilers don't take anything away from the enjoyment of watching a film.

You can still enjoy both, but deep down you're a little disappointed because you knew what was going to happen.

I mean it sort of looks awful surely it makes more sense f the two controller bits stuck together without the screen to act as the normal controller...?!

Also, a stand? Why if it has a docking station? And the fact nintendo never used the second screen for anything anyway and it isn't backwards compatible?!?!

Does anyone else think Nintendo leaked this on purpose? Get the bombshell that NX is basically a handheld out of the way, for them to reveal it properly later?

I see what Ubisoft meant about getting the casuals back. That illustration is pure Nintendo. Can't decide if I like or not.