NEurope
Serebii

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

I think Sheikah was referring to the button/stick layout on the Wii U Pro Controller; as opposed to other controllers (such as the Switch Pro, DS4 and Xbone controller and many others) that controller had the sticks in an awkward position (outwards, far apart and towards the triggers) as opposed to closer, central and just below the menu buttons. Especially the right hand side, at least, where the stick is above the buttons (the only home console of that generation to do so iirc), in stark contrast to other controllers.

It's not that big a deal, nor is one more sensible than the other. If anything, I found the GamePad/Wii U Pro Controller setup more comfortable for the thumbs than the other.

The right stick on the Wii U Pro controller is above the ABXY buttons.

Now the Switch Pro controller has put the right stick below those buttons. All three manufacturers now place the right stick below the buttons. There's a reason for that.

Doesn't mean it's sensible just because everyone else did it.

It's not that big a deal, nor is one more sensible than the other. If anything, I found the GamePad/Wii U Pro Controller setup more comfortable for the thumbs than the other.

It was awesome for Splatoon, which rarely used the face buttons, except X, just the sticks and the triggers. But the lack of motion was a disadvantage. I imagine, had we seen more FPSs on the Wii U, it would have been nice to have the Pad Pro layout of the sticks.

No but it is a pretty good indicator of whether your preferred console is going to be dropped by developers like a hot scone.

But that was beyond the point... The traditional lukewarm sales of a series like Pikmin does not in anyway mean the game is of sub-par quality. That was the point.

*walks carefully around the land mine of arguments*

What the fuck you just say about Nintendo!?

@Hero\-of\-Time Thats before realising that most of the space is going to be used for save data, as opposed to various multimedia. As for annoying little expenses, with the Switch coming with a joycon grip, I feel I wouldn't need to immediately shell out for a pro controller.

Just goes to show I don't blindly agree with Nintendo's decisions, thanks for digging though. :p

You've certainly calmed down since the best part of last year. You were flipping out left and right at various points in the thread. Was quite funny to read given your stance now. :D Out of the all the comments I went back to, I'd say you were the one who Nintendo won over the most.

Clearly important enough for them to change the design this time round.

On an unrelated note, is anyone else totally nonplussed about rumble HD?

I'm prepared to wait and try it before I pass judgement on how shit it is.

You've certainly calmed down since the best part of last year. You were flipping out left and right at various points in the thread. Was quite funny to read given your stance now. :D Out of the all the comments I went back to, I'd say you were the one who Nintendo won over the most.

Yeah, they have created an impressive machine, with a great USP (or rather all 3 previous USPs in one) and with at least 2 games at the moment I have wanted for decades. So yeah, they've won me over. Im not ashamed to admit this.

Na that HD rumble sounds dope.

I hate myself sometimes.. :blank:

I've just ordered the Neon Nintendo Switch from GAME (probably won't get it at launch) and I'm ordering Breath of the Wild and T-Shirt from the Nintendo Store. I clearly have no self control :nono:

Yeah, they have created an impressive machine, with a great USP (or rather all 3 previous USPs in one) and with at least 2 games at the moment I have wanted for decades. So yeah, they've won me over. Im not ashamed to admit this.

Nothing to be ashamed about. People can change their opinion, especially when new information is presented before them.

I guess it's just good to remember that Nintendo have not won over a lot people yet and they still feel the same as you did last year.

I'm pretty excited to see what they could achieve with the technology in a game like Wave Race or Excitetruck. I'm actually more keen on the motion technology; according to the developer on last week's RFN it's a huge step beyond WM+; there could be some very cool applications of that kind of technology. Trauma Centre, Wario Ware (!!!), Red Steel 3 ;)

The good thing about the tech is that it will become much cheaper as time goes on, so if Nintendo have patented the technology I expect that we'll see the price of the units come down at a far quicker.

Weird. I swear I saw £64.99 in the original press release or something but I could be going crazy. It happens.

Both are probably right - the Nintendo UK Store opened about a year after the Wii U came out.

I hate myself sometimes.. :blank:

I've just ordered the Neon Nintendo Switch from GAME (probably won't get it at launch) and I'm ordering Breath of the Wild and T-Shirt from the Nintendo Store. I clearly have no self control :nono:

Could be good for a new Silent Hill or Resident Evil. But they'd be multiplat and likely built around the PS4 engine so would include minor "shoved in" use.

Maybe some sort of "blind maze man" game where you have to shut your eyes (or just make screen black, but others wouldn't see what's going on and cheer you on. Maybe through online? As teams or audience?) and guide yourself through a maze based on the strength of vibrations. There'd be various traps, enemies, "wall types" etc. marked by different vibrations and sound distance (that 3D sound). It could actually make a pretty incredibly unique puzzle game. Other players could even use the full-3d motion+ to interact with objects and other stuff. SLASH YOUR SWORD! DUCKk! MOVE TO THE LEFT!

^(OMG did I just describe KNIGHTMARE the video game…?)

I'm pretty excited to see what they could achieve with the technology in a game like Wave Race or Excitetruck. I'm actually more keen on the motion technology; according to the developer on last week's RFN it's a huge step beyond WM+; there could be some very cool applications of that kind of technology. Trauma Centre, Wario Ware (!!!), Red Steel 3 ;)

The good thing about the tech is that it will become much cheaper as time goes on, so if Nintendo have patented the technology I expect that we'll see the price of the units come down at a far quicker.

Yeah, I think it's because they explained it in the context of ice cubes and their position that did nothing for me. Would have been cooler if they'd have explained it in the context of a game. Or maybe they did explain it. I think I basically watched the highlights.

Everyone who's actually used it said it was impressive. So no I'm very keen to try it out. Given rumble has been such an important part of gaming since the N64, a better version of it can only be a good thing.

Red Steel 3 ;)

Oh, Ubisoft! Please, please, PLEASE.

Still willing to maintain that the original which launched with Wii is one of my favourite FPSs of all time.

Nothing to be ashamed about. People can change their opinion, especially when new information is presented before them.

I guess it's just good to remember that Nintendo have not won over a lot people yet and they still feel the same as you did last year.

Thats true, but I will never understand holding bitter grudges against Nintendo, voicing it publicly, while still with the intent of buying their consoles (day one no less).

Surely, that means there is something good to talk about and Nintendo are at least doing some things right? But with all the negatives being aired first, it makes it seem that there is nothing good to speak of.

I guess a good messaging technique would be to highlight both the good and bad for a realistic balanced view, but I digress.

Actually I think the tech is pretty neat. I realise some people don't like rumble full stop and see it as gimmicky, but I've always been a fan of it and how it's generally used in action games (e.g. haptic feedback for taking damage).

I think this is the kind of innovation that Nintendo should be going for when iterating their controller design between console generations.

The problem is that, in typical Nintendo fashion, they presented the tech in the most gimmicky way possible.

We knew this would happen.. :indeed:

I should just have ordered it last weekend. If the option to get the Neon Switch appears on the Nintendo site again, I may switch my order over!

Could be good for a new Silent Hill or Resident Evil. But they'd be multiplat and likely built around the PS4 engine so would include minor "shoved in" use.

Man, imagine how HD Rumble could be in a Resident Evil... door on the right rattling, right joy-con vibrates.... NERVES OF STEEL!

DualShock6 and Scorpio controllers will now have HD rumble, guaranteed.

Man, imagine how HD Rumble could be in a Resident Evil... door on the right rattling, right joy-con vibrates.... NERVES OF STEEL!

That's the key, needs devs to take advantage of it. Could provide some great immersive experiences.