Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Nintendo Switch - Happy Switchmas Everyone!

Serebii

If you could pick one 3rd Party game not known to be coming to Switch to be on the console, what would it be and why?

I'd go for Titanfall 2. I can't see many games of similar ilk coming out for the system so it'd not have all too much competition, it's a fantastic game too and funnily enough it feels like it would be a fit for the console... to quote the Eurogamer review:

the one constant that ran through my mind as I played was 'this is like a Nintendo game'

Plus, the more people that play this game the better, it's fantastic and it's a shame it's sold so poorly!

Edited by Kav

• Replies 12k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you could pick one 3rd Party game not known to be coming to Switch to be on the console, what would it be and why?

Battlefront 2 at the end of this year. If that thing has a campaign and you can take it on the go, it could make for a great experience, and it could certainly capitalise on VIII like the latest iteration did VII. Not to mention that it seems like Nintendo used to have a great relationship with LucasArts, and haven't really had any connection to Star Wars mainstream games (i.e. Not LEGO-related) for quite a while now.

Shame that LucasArts closed up shop, considering that EA have a monopoly on the franchise's gaming rights right now...and will do for quite a while. Switch, with its portability, could definitely make for a nice variant of the game!

£50 for new just announced DualShock4s for a three year old console. Suddenly £60 for the Switch Pro sounds about right.

I wouldn't say either are right but Nintendo seem to to get in the neck a lot more. The DS4 isn't particularly well built but the platform holders can practically charge what they want as what's the alternative? 3rd party controllers are usually crap.

Battlefront 2 at the end of this year. If that thing has a campaign and you can take it on the go, it could make for a great experience, and it could certainly capitalise on VIII like the latest iteration did VII. Not to mention that it seems like Nintendo used to have a great relationship with LucasArts, and haven't really had any connection to Star Wars mainstream games (i.e. Not LEGO-related) for quite a while now.

Shame that LucasArts closed up shop, considering that EA have a monopoly on the franchise's gaming rights right now...and will do for quite a while. Switch, with its portability, could definitely make for a nice variant of the game!

I think battlefield may be out of the reach of the Switch. Need to know more but not sure there is enough power under the hood to get a suitable port.

One possible reason Nintendo may get it more is because their last three consoles (including the Switch) have three different variations of controllers that you need for different games. You pick up a DS4 and you know you use it for all games (ignoring PSVR and obviously Move was kind of a thing last gen).

One possible reason Nintendo may get it more is because their last three consoles (including the Switch) have three different variations of controllers that you need for different games. You pick up a DS4 and you know you use it for all games (ignoring PSVR and obviously Move was kind of a thing last gen).

Good point. Although the switch is fine out of the box no?

Good point. Although the switch is fine out of the box no?

True, although I suspect a lot of people will want a Pro Controller but indeed you don't need it.

Will have to see if that (i.e. you only need Joy-Cons for all games) remains true in five years time.

The v2 PS4 controller is £40 at Tesco. What's the cheapest the Switch Pro controller is selling for? I'm willing to bet quite a bit more for what will be a lower build quality pad (going by what the Wii U Pro controller was like).

Dude the DS4 was £55 at launch. That would be a fairer comparison.

As for build quality. The DS4 isn't that good. The shoulder buttons and nobs are cheap.

If you compare the two :

The DS4 has clickable touch pad, basic motion control and a speaker.

The switch pro controller has advanced motion control, and NFC reader and HD rumble. Is the price of £60 any more outrageous than the £55 which the DS4 pads launched at considering the tech inside?

Edited by liger05

Dude the DS4 was £55 at launch. That would be a fairer comparison.

As for build quality. The DS4 isn't that good. The shoulder buttons and nobs are cheap.

If you compare the two :

The DS4 has clickable touch pad, basic motion control and a speaker.

The switch pro controller has advanced motion control, and NFC reader and HD rumble. Is the price of £60 any more outrageous than the £55 which the DS4 pads launched at considering the tech inside?

I didn't make the comparison. Look back; Ronnie specifically mentioned the 'just released' (v2) dualshock, which has just come out, and is £40.

The PS4 controller is an extremely solid pad. By comparison, the Wii U Pro controller is not. Looking at the Switch Pro controller, it looks quite similar to the Wii U one in terms of design so I'm questioning that £65 tag. NFC and the like do not justify it. Especially given the cost of the other peripherals, I would expect a price closer to 50.

Edited by Sheikah

The v2 PS4 controller is £40 at Tesco. What's the cheapest the Switch Pro controller is selling for? I'm willing to bet quite a bit more for what will be a lower build quality pad (going by what the Wii U Pro controller was like).

Lol wut? The build quality on the Wii U Pro is solid (certainly no worse than the DS4) and that 60+ hour battery life, baby.

That released at £40, and sold for £35 in most places as I seem to recall - not that I got one back then as I thought it was a bit pricey, even though it never went down much. £30 is the cheapest I've ever seen it new. I got mine for £25 second-hand in CeX, not exactly outrageous, but I still grumbled as I handed over the cash.

I agree with Liger than you should be comparing release prices, and not PS4 DS4 V2.01345 or what ever at Tesco in mid-Jan 2017. The pad has been out 2-3 years, Sony have had time to amend it's design, change parts and bring down costs, Nintendo haven't.

The Switch Pro-Con is currently at £64.99 at most places, that will likely come down £5/10 before or during launch depending on stock levels (lots of talk on Twitter that they're scarce at the moment, most US sites don't have a pre-order available). We already know there's a hell of a lot of tech in them, same as the Joy-Cons but minus the IR. Battery has been stated at 20+ hours, people who've tried it have been positive on its design and build quality. There is more tech in there than the DS4, a 2-3 year old pad, I'm not surprised it's more expensive. Fairly redundant comparison backed up by a strange statement.

Still, it is too expensive, outrageously so, and I won't be rushing out to buy one.

Lol wut? The build quality on the Wii U Pro is solid (certainly no worse than the DS4) and that 60+ hour battery life, baby.

That released at £40, and sold for £35 in most places as I seem to recall - not that I got one back then as I thought it was a bit pricey, even though it never went down much. £30 is the cheapest I've ever seen it new. I got mine for £25 second-hand in CeX, not exactly outrageous, but I still grumbled as I handed over the cash.

I agree with Liger than you should be comparing release prices, and not PS4 DS4 V2.01345 or what ever at Tesco in mid-Jan 2017. The pad has been out 2-3 years, Sony have had time to amend it's design, change parts and bring down costs, Nintendo haven't.

The Switch Pro-Con is currently at £64.99 at most places, that will likely come down £5/10 before or during launch depending on stock levels (lots of talk on Twitter that they're scarce at the moment, most US sites don't have a pre-order available). We already know there's a hell of a lot of tech in them, same as the Joy-Cons but minus the IR. Battery has been stated at 20+ hours, people who've tried it have been positive on its design and build quality. There is more tech in there than the DS4, a 2-3 year old pad, I'm not surprised it's more expensive. Fairly redundant comparison backed up by a strange statement.

Still, it is too expensive, outrageously so, and I won't be rushing out to buy one.

Sorry, but it really isn't. You're talking to someone who has spent thousands of hours playing competitively online with various controllers over the years too. The right hand side Wii U Pro buttons aren't even laid out sensibly, hence why they have U turned with the Switch pad and reorganised the stick and buttons.

The battery is the best thing about it.

And to repeat myself, I did not make this initial comparison.

Edited by Sheikah

Sorry, but it really isn't. You're talking to someone who has spent thousands of hours playing competitively online with various controllers over the years too. The right hand side Wii U Pro buttons aren't even laid out sensibly, hence why they have U turned with the Switch pad and recognised the stick and buttons.

And to repeat myself, I did not make this initial comparison.

How are they not laid out sensibly?

Sorry, but it really isn't. You're talking to someone who has spent thousands of hours playing competitively online. The right hand side Wii U Pro buttons aren't even laid out sensibly, hence why they have U turned with the Switch pad.

Layout and build quality are not the same thing. Pick up a classic controller for the Wii and then tell me the Wii U pad doesn't have decent build quality. The positioning of buttons isn't a cost which is passed on to the consumer. I agree, it should have been the reverse and was awkward for playing competitively, but the build quality on the Wii U pad was among the best Nintendo have ever produced. The pad feels like a decent piece of kit. It has been more than ample for playing countless hours of Smash, Splatoon or MK8 online for me.

"I'm willing to bet quite a bit more for what will be a lower build quality pad (going by what the Wii U Pro controller was like)"
Edited by Nicktendo

The Switch Pro Controller looks very similar to the Xbox One controller in my opinion, at least in layout. Aesthetically, it looks a little rounder.

If it's anywhere near as comfortable as any of the recent Xbox controllers (I have a PS4, but for long play sessions I find the DS4 quite uncomfortable) and makes smart use of the gyroscope and Rumble HD, I think that's a fair price. I've only heard good things about it from the experiences people have had with it so far, so here's to hoping.

The right stick on the Wii U Pro controller is above the ABXY buttons.

Now the Switch Pro controller has put the right stick below those buttons. All three manufacturers now place the right stick below the buttons. There's a reason for that.

Ask again in three years, then you'll get a fairer comparison. I was talking RRP. Sony are selling just released Dual Shock 4s for £50.

Edited by Ronnie

Layout and build quality are not the same thing. Pick up a classic controller for the Wii and then tell me the Wii U pad doesn't have decent build quality. The positioning of buttons isn't a cost which is passed on to the consumer. I agree, it should have been the reverse and was awkward for playing competitively, but the build quality on the Wii U pad was among the best Nintendo have ever produced. The pad feels like a decent piece of kit. It has been more than ample for playing countless hours of Smash, Splatoon or MK8 online for me.

They're not the same thing, but the build quality is cheap as well as the design being a bit poor. The controller has a cheap and plasticy feel and weight to it and it's actually pretty flat and amateur looking. The buttons are hard and I remember it being uncomfortable to play Mario Kart for long periods of time with the accelerate button held. The controller is generally not as comfortable to hold as the other two, in my opinion.

I think Sheikah was referring to the button/stick layout on the Wii U Pro Controller; as opposed to other controllers (such as the Switch Pro, DS4 and Xbone controller and many others) that controller had the sticks in an awkward position (outwards, far apart and towards the triggers) as opposed to closer, central and just below the menu buttons. Especially the right hand side, at least, where the stick is above the buttons (the only home console of that generation to do so iirc), in stark contrast to other controllers.

Is there anywhere that still has stock available to preorder Switch..? :smile:

Grey one is still available from the Nintendo UK store.

@Hero\-of\-Time Thats before realising that most of the space is going to be used for save data, as opposed to various multimedia. As for annoying little expenses, with the Switch coming with a joycon grip, I feel I wouldn't need to immediately shell out for a pro controller.

Just goes to show I don't blindly agree with Nintendo's decisions, thanks for digging though. :p

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!