N-Europe

Yo-kai Watch (3DS)

Dcubed

Thing with Youkai Watch, that may hamper it in the west, is that it really is aimed at kids. It doesn't have the broad appeal Pokémon does. So it may not be close to the powerhouse Pokémon is.

Plus, the anime is so unbelievably Japanese. It'll be a tricky proposition, that's for sure.

I've never watched anything about this game. All I know is that Japan went crazy for it. Is the gameplay sorta like Pokemon or something?

Yeah, it is very Pokemon esc from what I understand. Similar catching mechanics, but the battle system is completely different.

The overworld is also similar in style to the mainline Pokemon games, but there are also Layton esc point-and-click sections as well...

• 5 months later...

Toy line is getting released outside of Japan. I hope Nintendo puts the anime up on the anime app they just released on the 3DS.

Game localisations are just around the corner at this point.

Hasbro, Inc. To Launch Toy Line in 2016 in North America, Latin America, Europe, New Zealand and Australia

SANTA MONICA, Calif., TOKYO & PAWTUCKET, R.I.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Dentsu Entertainment USA, Inc. and TV TOKYO Corporation have announced they have teamed up with leading global play company Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ: HAS) to bring the hugely popular multimedia franchise YO-KAI WATCH to new markets. In 2016, Hasbro will introduce an innovative toy line for the franchise. The YO-KAI WATCH cross-platform experience will also include additional broadcasting, video game and merchandising relationships to be announced later this year.

YO-KAI WATCH is an original concept created by renowned Japanese game company LEVEL-5, Inc. and the Nintendo 3DS video games have sold 6.5 million units in Japan. With an imaginative plot, great characters, comedy and adventure, YO-KAI WATCH has become one of the most popular franchises of all time in Japan. The story centers around a young boy who gets a special watch empowering him to discover and summon mysterious Yo-kai that help him solve problems in his daily life usually caused by other trouble-making Yo-kai. The YO-KAI WATCH animated series, a joint production effort of LEVEL-5, Inc., Dentsu Inc., and TV TOKYO Corporation, is the top-rated show for kids 4-12 across all genres on TV TOKYO and has the highest average household ratings among all regularly scheduled animated programs on the network.

In addition to the TV series, the YO-KAI WATCH franchise has enjoyed tremendous success across several product categories since it began in Japan including selling millions of copies of YO-KAI WATCH manga and related books and generating hundreds of millions of U.S. dollars in retail sales of toys and other merchandise, not including games, music CDs, and publishing.

"The YO-KAI WATCH franchise has been hugely successful and we are ready to bring the brand to new markets across multiple platforms," said Mr. Akihiro Hino, President of LEVEL-5, Inc.

"We have seen the massive success of the YO-KAI WATCH franchise in Japan and are thrilled to be chosen to help expand the property to new markets," said President of Hasbro Brands John Frascotti. "We look forward to creating exciting and innovative play experiences with this amazing property for kids to enjoy around the world."

Mr. Kiyofumi Kajiwara of Dentsu, Inc. and producer of the YO-KAI WATCH animated series added, "As leaders in the toy industry, Hasbro is the perfect choice to introduce innovative toys to new markets and we look forward to securing other broadcasting, video game and merchandise relationships as we expand the property globally."

I went to Japan in January and this stuff was everywhere! Watched a couple of episodes of the anime online whilst there and it's not bad. My boyfriend loved the look of the characters and bought some plushes home with him so he'll be pleased this is finally coming out on the 3DS over here.

• 1 month later...

The localisation for the first game has finally been announced and published by Nintendo in 2016.

We’ve been waiting for more news regarding Yo-kai Watch’s localization outside of Japan for quite a while now, and Level-5 revealed more details during their Level-5 Vision 2015 event.

CEO Akihiro Hino said that now that the Yo-kai Watch series has found its success in Japan, Level-5 will aim to follow up with a similar level of success in the West, where Nintendo will publish the games. Meanwhile, Hasbro will handle the toys outside of Japan.

Level 5 shared a look at some clips of the Yo-kai Watch anime in its English dub, and talks with the folks from Hasbro who are enthusiastic to start their first step of sharing the series’ love in the West.

Yo-kai Watch will be released in North America in 2016, and following its launch in that territory, Hasbro and Level 5 will roll it out in other territories month-by-month, completing their global launch by the end of 2016.

Sauce

Hyped to play this, 2016 is looking pretty good for 3DS. Yo-Kai watch 3 has just been announced for Japan though which means we're 2 versions behind.

2016 is insanely late!!!

The 3DS will be getting ready to be replaced by then! (The NX handheld is due to be announced at E3 2016)

Will Yo-Kai Watch 2 even get released outside Japan before the NX handheld launches!?

• 6 months later...

So a bit of a bump, but it seems some release date changes have happened since the last update here. The US are getting this game on the 6th November now which is about 2 weeks away, Australia have a release on the 5th December, yet those of us in Europe have yet to get an updated release so still 2016 as it stands, which is a major bummer as far as i'm concerned. I watched a Pokemon Youtuber play the demo and it looked great fun.

• 2 weeks later...