Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Star Fox Zero

Cube

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay! Cockpit perspective on the gamepad. Because everyone used that view when you could have it on the TV.

What would you rather be displayed on the Gamepad?

It sounds great anyway, potentially you could be flying in one direction and using cockpit view to look to your left and right.

I really really hope it doesn't have cockpit view, really worried they're going to try something new again. And fail. Again. I don't want a starfox game that's slow enough that you have the time to look at the gamepad to see what's around you.

I thought this was confirmed at this point? I know Jose from IGN played around with the demo at E3 and talked about the cockpit view on the GamePad.

I thought this was confirmed at this point? I know Jose from IGN played around with the demo at E3 and talked about the cockpit view on the GamePad.

Yeah... but I guess I hope it isn't how the game works in the main. As a level style, a slower paced, more tactical bit, or even better, a local co op mode where one is the main ship and the other is a turret gun or something.

Why do the keep messing with this series? Same with FZero, they keep talking about only doing it if they can think of new ideas? But why? They don't care with Mario kart or smash bros etc.... Sales I guess!

I don't understand what the problem is. If you don't like cockpit view, don't look at the gamepad!

Have you ever played a Starfox game? How can there just be a cockpit view and it not affect gameplay? I'm terrified it'll be there to shoot stuff 360. I don't want that. Starfox is a cheesy, B Movie simple space arcadey shootemup. I want it kept that way!

Have you ever played a Starfox game? How can there just be a cockpit view and it not affect gameplay? I'm terrified it'll be there to shoot stuff 360. I don't want that. Starfox is a cheesy, B Movie simple space arcadey shootemup. I want it kept that way!

Who said anything about there only being a cockpit view? The tv screen is the usual third person view, and you can look down at the gamepad to see cockpit view. That way you can be flying in direction while looking in another for instance.

I imagine that the cock-pit view could be used as an easy way to exploit the weak points of certain bosses. You'd be able to get a clear view of the type of shot that you'd need to make this way.

It wouldn't bother me, tbh. I prefer to use the third person viewpoint and as long as you're not completely forced to use the first person view for large chunks of the game, it'll be fine.

The biggest issue we'll have with the game is the mission structure and how exactly they'll go about it all. Episodic content seems to be hinted at. That and what type of story they'll go with.

I imagine that the cock-pit view could be used as an easy way to exploit the weak points of certain bosses. You'd be able to get a clear view of the type of shot that you'd need to make this way.

It wouldn't bother me, tbh. I prefer to use the third person viewpoint and as long as you're not completely forced to use the first person view for large chunks of the game, it'll be fine.

The biggest issue we'll have with the game is the mission structure and how exactly they'll go about it all. Episodic content seems to be hinted at. That and what type of story they'll go with.

I reckon Starfox would potentially be the perfect game to experiment with distribution.

Nintendo could, for example, release one mission each week for, say, 10 weeks where, by the end of it, you'd have one complete game which would also be released at retail at the same time as the final mission. £3.99 per stage ;)

I'm sure many would argue they wouldn't want it divided up like that, but you'd have plenty of incentive to improve scores on each level if you only have one to focus on while you eagerly anticipate the next chapter in the story :heh:

I reckon Starfox would potentially be the perfect game to experiment with distribution.

Nintendo could, for example, release one mission each week for, say, 10 weeks where, by the end of it, you'd have one complete game which would also be released at retail at the same time as the final mission. £3.99 per stage ;)

I'm sure many would argue they wouldn't want it divided up like that, but you'd have plenty of incentive to improve scores on each level if you only have one to focus on while you eagerly anticipate the next chapter in the story :heh:

I'm only a fan of that model if it works with the content that it aims to deliver. For example, it works really well with something like The Walking Dead because it's very television-esque. You have five episode and each episode follows a certain story. I don't know how it would work with Starfox unless that suddenly has a very interesting story that works with this type of episodic content.

Splitting the game into 4 or 5 chunks just because you want to spread it out doesn't always work, imo. It only works with a certain type of game. Like I mentioned, it was great with The Walking Dead and it seems to be ideal of a point and click type of game. Personally, I'd rather play a Starfox game in one go.

I'm only a fan of that model if it works with the content that it aims to deliver. For example, it works really well with something like The Walking Dead because it's very television-esque. You have five episode and each episode follows a certain story. I don't know how it would work with Starfox unless that suddenly has a very interesting story that works with this type of episodic content.

Splitting the game into 4 or 5 chunks just because you want to spread it out doesn't always work, imo. It only works with a certain type of game. Like I mentioned, it was great with The Walking Dead and it seems to be ideal of a point and click type of game. Personally, I'd rather play a Starfox game in one go.

I definitely don't expect the story to be worth coming back for :heh:

My thinking was more along the lines of the ability to improve your runs and discover secrets in each level. There are plenty of people who would love competing for the best high scores on online leaderboards.

Personally, I would prefer to wait for a retail release of the whole game but this sort of structure is defintiely an option for consideration :smile:

I definitely don't expect the story to be worth coming back for :heh:

My thinking was more along the lines of the ability to improve your runs and discover secrets in each level. There are plenty of people who would love competing for the best high scores on online leaderboards.

Personally, I would prefer to wait for a retail release of the whole game but this sort of structure is defintiely an option for consideration :smile:

There isn't really a point in distributing it episodically for that reason. You can compete for high scores on leaderboards with the full release. The only way it'll work with this structure is if it's built with this structure in mind. Which would mean grouped segments, mission or shorter stories for each part (or say a story that is told like it would be done with a television series)

Would Lylat Wars work episodically? Imo, no. The actual beauty of the way it is released with its branching missions is that you can go through the game multiple times. It's designed to be played like an arcade game, almost.

In 2012 I pitched an idea for Nintendo for a flying game. On the TV, you'd see your airplane in a traditional view. The pad would then be used to look around and lock on to enemies. At the time I spoke to Saab about licensing their planes into the game, and when I explained how I wanted to use the gamepad, they said that it sounds similar to a simulator they had been working on at the time.

There isn't really a point in distributing it episodically for that reason. You can compete for high scores on leaderboards with the full release. The only way it'll work with this structure is if it's built with this structure in mind. Which would mean grouped segments, mission or shorter stories for each part (or say a story that is told like it would be done with a television series)

Would Lylat Wars work episodically? Imo, no. The actual beauty of the way it is released with its branching missions is that you can go through the game multiple times. It's designed to be played like an arcade game, almost.

I totally get your point :smile: I was just wanting to suggest that there are probably ways to release certain games that differ to what we've been accustomed to for the last two or three decades.

As another example, Starfox could be split into 3 'routes' of EASY, NORMAL and HARD. Release one 'route' each week and then, upon clearing the final route, you can choose to go through the game as you please.

Admittedly, it's probably not a scenario that would sit entirely right with me but there's certainly possibilities to do something different..

FWIW, there were chatterings at E3 that it would have WiiMote support, so I wonder if any second-screen stuff would really be compulsory for people who are so averse to it.

Also FWIW I personally don't relate to the view of Star Fox as this majorly established, impervious-to-experimentation franchise, so I'm very happy to hop on-board this Miyamoto-themed ride.

Like, I think Assault had a lot of poorly-executed ideas, but I'm glad we got that game instead of, say, Lylat Wars remade for Gamecube. On the same token, I'm sure Lylat Wars-in-HD would be a fun, polished, bankable experience but I'd rather see at attempt at some new ideas.

There isn't really a point in distributing it episodically for that reason..

I know I already quoted you in my previous post but I just wanted to make another point, mainly regarding this section of your post :heh:

While Starfox may not need to be broken down for the reasons outlined previously, money would certainly be a consideration.

There are probably a large number of people who wouldn't be willing to part with £34.99, or whatever, for a full game that they may not be sure of or don't have previous experience with the franchise. However, some consumers may be more willing to take a punt on trying out a level at £3.99 or, say, a portion of the game for a fraction of the cost of the full game.

Others may also be happier to spend something like £4 a week for £10 weeks than hand over £35 or £40 in one go. Ultimately, it's about attracting as many people to the product as possible :smile:

I'm sure Lylat Wars-in-HD would be a fun, polished, bankable experience but I'd rather see at attempt at some new ideas.

The 3DS version was a great upgrade to Lylat Wars. I wouldn't really see the need for them to do it again on Wii U!

Edited by nekunando

Who said anything about there only being a cockpit view? The tv screen is the usual third person view, and you can look down at the gamepad to see cockpit view. That way you can be flying in direction while looking in another for instance.

Oh I didn't mean just a gamepad view, I guess I mean it being there must mean it has some importance, and this worries me. As the only way I can see it working is by changing some of the fundamentals of the Starfox design I love. If it's just for certain levels or an additional co op mode or something great, but again, just worried they'll just change Starfox completely, like they do all releases!

I know I already quoted you in my previous post but I just wanted to make another point, mainly regarding this section of your post :heh:

While Starfox may not need to be broken down for the reasons outlined previously, money would certainly be a consideration.

There are probably a large number of people who wouldn't be willing to part with £34.99, or whatever, for a full game that they may not be sure of or don't have previous experience with the franchise. However, some consumers may be more willing to take a punt on trying out a level at £3.99 or, say, a portion of the game for a fraction of the cost of the full game.

Others may also be happier to spend something like £4 a week for £10 weeks than hand over £35 or £40 in one go. Ultimately, it's about attracting as many people to the product as possible :smile:

If a gamer wouldn't want to pay full price for a game, they'd probably wait until the game became cheaper. There probably is some truth to what you're saying, but if that is the case then why haven't Nintendo applied that model to Mario, Zelda or even something like Mario Kart or Pokemon then? The better way of attracting gamers/people towards the product would be to advertise it, so that they know it exists.

If it's episodic then I don't want to know about it. Why would Starfox be episodic? It's not suited to this method, just release a full game, I think this episodic rumour grew out of people not believing it could be out before the end of this year but if they went this route then it would be possible.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!