NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

Is it old news that Amiibo hold data for only one game at a time? Eurogamer report so.

Initially, this isn't a problem with only Smash writing data. But should more uses come along we simply loose the data?

Obviously the solution to this is to buy more Amiibos! :shakehead

Is it old news that Amiibo hold data for only one game at a time? Eurogamer report so.

Initially, this isn't a problem with only Smash writing data. But should more uses come along we simply loose the data?

I think that's a little lame. 2 easy solutions.

1) local wii U storage. Rather than delete game data, store it on the Wii U, for the Amiibo to pick up again at some point in the future (or have a copy saved in the game specific data file, so long as it's the same amiibo being scanned, the data is reassociated)

2) cloud version of the above. The amiibo has 1 game as a local copy, so if playing without an available online connection it is only able to play that specific game. But with an net connection it is able to play all the games it works with.

OR. The Smash specific amiibo are only able to play 1 game (smash amiibo play smash...) and only unlock content (like costumes in MK and rewards in Hyrule Warriors) in other games...

A8IljGc.png

Packaging for the newly announced ones, with UK dates.

I'm slightly wielded out by a Sonic figure made by Nintendo with no visible Sega branding.

I like how the amiibo copy the Smash Bros poses.

Does anyone have access to Nintendo's press centre for downloading their high res artwork? I'd love to take a look

So first wave completely covers all Wii fit And animal crossing representation within smash, right? Unless they include the male trainer?

Second wave you can complete Donkey kong, Punchout and F-zero

Third wave completes no franchise set :D

Fourth wave completes Sonic, Megaman, Dreamland and Xenoblade... right?

I assume they're wanting to release all the Smash Bros amiibo before giving us other games' ones. No wonder they're rushing through them in that case.

Captain Toad amiibos coming later in 2015 with a dozen DLC levels attached maybe?

I like the packaging... wish I was a millionaire to buy two of every one :)

It's mental how quickly they're churning these out. Not sure if it's the best business decision or not. When it was 12 I ordered them all, when it became 18 I changed my order to 10 - if I can't have them all I'll jus get the ones I want. Trickling out I'd have probably picked up a couple every month... but so many is making me think I'll never own them all and putting me off slightly. However, in the long run, with so many characters, will I eventually buy more... How do other people feel about it?

Ultimately they're probably making a wise decision, but I'm a collector and I want them all... Hope there are some 3 for 2 offers into the future!!

How do people think these will sell? Skylanders success? Bigger? Disappointing sales? I think it's so hard to know how they'll do. But I feel without specific software they just won't be as big.

I like the packaging... wish I was a millionaire to buy two of every one :)

It's mental how quickly they're churning these out. Not sure if it's the best business decision or not. When it was 12 I ordered them all, when it became 18 I changed my order to 10 - if I can't have them all I'll jus get the ones I want. Trickling out I'd have probably picked up a couple every month... but so many is making me think I'll never own them all and putting me off slightly. However, in the long run, with so many characters, will I eventually buy more... How do other people feel about it?

Ultimately they're probably making a wise decision, but I'm a collector and I want them all... Hope there are some 3 for 2 offers into the future!!

How do people think these will sell? Skylanders success? Bigger? Disappointing sales? I think it's so hard to know how they'll do. But I feel without specific software they just won't be as big.

If all 49 were released in one go, yes it would be uncollectable.

They launch 12 in the 1st phase. That's just to make sure there are characters to appeal to everyone.

2nd phase releases 6. in December....

3rd phase releases 6. in January....

4th phase releases 5 in February.

Bear in mind also, with Christmas, they wanted a reasonable amount of characters - at a push they have 18 for Christmas.

After that they are coming out about 5 a month. They have 20 more I think, so I would expect 5 more in March-June.

Also I heard talk about less intricate runs, with cards etc. I can imagine those coming out later. Maybe like Pogs (for those old enough to remember) with a character picture on one side, or just a card like match attax or the like. Not all games will necessarily be as flashy as these are.

So, my pre-orders so far

Phase 1

Pikachu

Link

Fox

Yoshi

Phase 2

Captain Falcon

Zelda - Depends on her unlock for Hyrule Warriors

Phase 3

Lucario

Toon Link

Sheik - Depends on her unlock for Hyrule Warriors

None in phase 4 yet. I do want a few others like Mario and Bowser since they look pretty badass though, but can't justify yet.

I am not spending £320 on all, as much as I may want to :p

Some of the 2015 wave are retailer exclusives in America, odds of that happening here?

Hopefully not high - that will just push prices up for the consumer.

I'm tackling phase 1 and 2 through Christmas presents. I think phase 5 will hit in good time for my Birthday :D

I'm normally terrible at christmas and birthdays, nothing I want that is affordable... so now these are out I have something I actually want AND don't want to buy :D

I'm thinking 1 amiibo a month bought for myself will be reasonable

What a waste of money.

IGN have reported that amiibo are region free. That's logical. The next bit isn't.

Nintendo Outlines Confusing amiibo Save Data Limitations

Not as simple as with Skylanders

It seems to be amiibo day, with a Wii U system update adding a settings menu for the figures and a range of 11 more toys confirmed for 2015; those are positives, though details on how to use the figures on the official website in Japan indicate some limitations to the figures.

Though it's been communicated previously, this page once again clarifies that while Super Smash Bros. for Wii U reads and writes the data on the figures, early titles with support detailed — namely Mario Kart 8 and Hyrule Warriors — will only read data from the figures. To clarify, Smash Bros. saves the progress of your amiibo — which we've detailed here — while MK8 and Koei's action title simply recognise the amiibo (in terms of whether it's Mario, Link etc) and activate pre-programmed extras, in the form of Mii race suits and items.

What's emerged from the official information is that the figures will only store data for one read / write game at a time; if you want to switch an amiibo from one such game to another, you'll need to use the Wii U's amiibo settings to clear its data first. That's not a problem right now, as Super Smash Bros. for Wii U is the only game writing data to the toys, but will surely become an issue down the line. There are potential workarounds, such as a game storing backup amiibo data for you while you wipe the toy's chip to use it elsewhere, though Nintendo tellingly isn't mentioning that as a possibility at present.

Ultimately, this first batch of amiibo is branded for Super Smash Bros. and will support other games with more basic functionality. By opening up the toys to work across a number of games, however, there's certainly a danger of confusion the moment a second read / write game arrives, as you likely won't be able to use your first batch of toys fully without losing Smash Bros. progress.

Let us know what you think of this — does this bother you, or do you feel that it's a logical approach from Nintendo? Let us know.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/11/nintendo_outlines_confusing_amiibo_save_data_limitations

Why are they doing this? I have my suspicions.

cow-milking-facility-20602330.jpg

Edited by Wii

Some of the 2015 wave are retailer exclusives in America, odds of that happening here?

Hopefully it won't happen over here given that there is only GAME with a real gaming retail presence left.

I have yet to preorder any and I doubt I will. I prefer to walk into a shop and have a look at the quality of the model im buying rather than risking being sent a dud by an online retailer. I did this with most of my Disney Infinity figures as well.

4kb? Yes that memory be very expensive.

Edit: Nevermind. You hardly mean it's expensive.

4kb? Yes that memory be very expensive.

Why do you care? You have no intention of buying them anyway, so it doesn't really effect you, does it?

Having amiibo work across multiple games is a great move for Nintendo. Disney Infinity and Skylanders don't work like that. They do seem to have cut back slightly on that very good positive with this news though. At the end of the day only a few games will actually write data to the amiibo so it shouldn't be much of a problem, especially if Nintendo create a way to back up data to the console, which should be pretty straightforward.

It also tempts people into buying more than just the one Link amiibo, which is an easy to understand business decision for Nintendo.

Why do you care? You have no intention of buying them anyway, so it doesn't really effect you, does it?

No, I can't stand the things for numerous reasons. It's another reason to hate them. It just seems like a way to force people to buy multiple amiibo.

He still doesn't grasp you're paying for figurines first, game functionality as a bonus. It's getting so tedious.

No, I can't stand the things for numerous reasons. It's another reason to hate them. It just seems like a way to force people to buy multiple amiibo.

picard-facepalm2.jpg

Just reading up some more on NFC. I don't think Nintendo might have a choice really. They're not very practical as they can store shag all data.

Newsflash. Data is limited.

Just reading up some more on NFC. I don't think Nintendo might have a choice really. They're not very practical as they can store shag all data.

Owned. Nice one @Serebii

Owned. Nice one @Serebii

Internet message board user forgoes checking facts in order to slag off Nintendo. More at 10.

:p

Well as that IGN article says, in the future they could allow you to back-up of your Amiibo data. Right now there's no point since Smash brothers is the only game that puts data on the figurine itself.