NEurope
Hero-of-Time

amiibo (NFC)

it's interesting, but from the amiibo video it looks like they get capped at level 50. I guess they'll be a bit like pokemon, so even at level 50 the individual stats may vary, so not all level 50 mario amiibo for example will be equal - for better or for worse!

Has anybody else noticed that the prototype Amiibo's were of better quality than the finished products? I've seen a good few people comment on it elsewhere. They've definitely cut back on the level of detailing.

Really, I never thought that, do you have any pic comparisons?

o7SGAaO.png

Waiting for the pervy comments. But seriously they have.

1414255845517.png

LwdVJbA.jpg

YVb8ylV.jpg

Link-Cover1-760x428.jpg

link_amiibo_figure_new_design.jpg

The link one isn't great because the new figure is slightly out of focus but still the new stand is horrible. Why's he looking at the ground? There was a better photo but I can't find it. The shield isn't as detailed. The chainmail is now painted on.

The Peach figurine is easier to see. She's had botched plastic surgery on her face, she doesn't look like she's supposed o. Her hands are chubbier. Her dress, it's not as detailed. The gold is now painted on whereas on the old one it was inlayed. The painting of them looks slightly cheaper.

Edited by Wii
Automerged Doublepost

I hadn't realised it affected all the figurines, I thought it was just those with supporting plastic, such as link, fox etc. I'm beginning to think I need to investigate to see if the amiibo I have on order is attractive enough to warrant a purchase...

I also wonder if in different territories they have different companies producing the final figurines? kinda hoping if that could be the case, that europe gets good quality ones :D Failing that, I used to make airfix, perhaps I could do a bit of cosmetic surgery and repaint, if things are that bad! :D

Wtf have they done to beloved Peach?! That prototype one was perfect, minus her practically flashing her Crown Jewels :heh: (she ain't no Bayonetta smut!) :laughing: but this final version looks like a knock off from a market stall.

Very disappointing.

Toys always look significantly better during the prototype phase, this was to be expected. What wasn't expected is just how awful some of these have turned out.

Kirby's right eye is not centred.

Marth has a very bad paint job.

Peach is just.. wat.

Link is getting some criticism but it's too early as there are few angles.

There is some praise for the Donkey Kong and Mario figures though. I think Pikachu is looking fine personally but the picture circulating of it focuses on the stand rather than the actual figure.

It'll be a shame, because Skylanders and Disney Infinity toys are similarly priced and, judging by the looks of Amiibo, are of much higher quality. I'm almost certain now that I won't be collecting these. I'm going Pit turns out fine because that was the figure I was intending to get at launch, but I may just play it safe and go with Pikachu.

Has anybody else noticed that the prototype Amiibo's were of better quality than the finished products? I've seen a good few people comment on it elsewhere. They've definitely cut back on the level of detailing.

Welcome to toy manufacturing

More high quality production figure pics for those who can't find them.

These were always going to take a dip in quality when they were produced - it's just frustrating that sites are still using the old prototype shots that poorly represent the new figures. The public probably won't care though, it'll just be us nerds seething in front of our computer screens... surrounded by slightly inferior quality Amiibo figures.

Personally, I think Peach looks okay from the production figure. The eyes are a lot less pretty though. The panties in the original proto were weird and creepy, so I'm really glad to see those go. The inlaid gold is exactly the kinda details that would be omitted from prototype to production though, wasn't expecting that to stay.

Link is another matter entirely, not so worried about the pose... but I'm still hoping that yellow block can somehow be removed... it looks like the pole is still inside there, so fingers crossed.

Having checked that IMGR album, I'll still be getting a bunch of these.

Edited by Guy

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2014/10/24/hands-on-with-amiibo-in-smash-bros-wii-u

In that video they all looked ok tbh, not the big ugly yellow block though. I'd like to know who exactly gave that the green light, and why??

Also, is the hyrule warriors functionality a way to try and convince people to buy the link figure, now that he appears to be so compromised by that great big ugly yellow block?

The panties in the original proto were weird and creepy, so I'm really glad to see those go.

I bet you are. ;) G.I Peach going commando.

Wii those pictures are so bad they're awful comparison shots, one's product photography, the there is out of focus (clearly android : ) )phone photography...

Other than knickers I'm not seeing much difference...

To be fair I well gave the originals way too much credit with product photography, they're shit too, basically ones overfit, ones underlie, hard to tell. But the pictures Guy posted, they seem good to me!

What I don't understand is why the coloured support stands for Fox and Link?!? Surely clear plastic would have looked better!

Also Link looking down looks pretty terrible :(

What I don't understand is why the coloured support stands for Fox and Link?!? Surely clear plastic would have looked better!

Also Link looking down looks pretty terrible :(

I'm pretty sure it'd the same as the original and the camera is from above, it looks weird, but seen s different angle and it looks better, and the column isn't as intrusive.

Attention should be paid to this, I'm glad press sites are highlighting it. Nintendo will just issue some half-assed bullshit statement and move on though. These will still sell alright to kids... maybe not so well to collectors now. Dunno how much Nintendo was relying on capturing the latter, probably more than they'll ever let on (or achieve with that quality of product).

Those look pretty good I think, apart from maybe Samus.

Not a fan of those coloured supports on Fox and Link though, why not just make them clear?

I find that Peach, Marth and Villagers expressions/facial features look way off.

There's something that makes them look differ from any game in which I've seen them appear.

It's the ratio, proportion or scale of for example the eyes, nose, eyebrows, forehead and such that seem to be...off?? :confused:

I don't know, just something I don't like about those three... Like Peach is painted on a Barbie doll and Marth's colours are painted on a generic Manga figurine. Does that make sense to anyone?

Fox is way better than I expected by the way!

Marth looks sad that his sword is so limp. Pikachu looks pleased that he just slaughtered a village.

Some Amiibo will only be available as a limited time offer.

32.jpg

33l.jpg

Firstly, amiibo figures are offered at an affordable price range when compared to packaged video game software. Even people who may not be able to purchase software frequently may be able to afford to purchase character figures one by one. This could spark interest in the game or contribute to maintaining use rates of our video game platforms.

The amiibo figure lineup for “Super Smash Bros.” will continue to be released even after this year-end sales season, and we hope that this will help to update store shelves. As store shelf space is limited, some amiibo will remain stocked on the shelves as staple choices while some will be limited-time offers which will cede their positions to new ones once they are sold out.

With these offerings, I believe the Nintendo characters lined up on shelves, which usually only contain standard-sized boxes, will have an outstanding presence, and this means a lot to us.

Even though amiibo will be compatible only with Wii U at the launch, we are proactively making progress on Nintendo 3DS compatibility. As the New Nintendo 3DS handheld contains an NFC reader/writer, it will be able to support amiibo after a software update. The Nintendo 3DS platform will also be able to do the same via an external NFC reader/writer, which is scheduled to be launched in 2015. With these offerings, we will increase the amiibo compatible software lineup for Nintendo 3DS.

amiibo is a new category of products for us that creates a new kind of value by being supported by multiple titles. We hope that by making amiibo figures compatible with multiple titles, consumers will be happy to carry the figures with them and will be eager to try them with new software.

In “Super Smash Bros. for Wii U,” amiibo is an in-game character that you battle and train, and it can play with you as your buddy or even your opponent.

Of course, amiibo support will vary depending on the title and this is only an example of the possibilities. We will offer further instances of amiibo compatability with various products next year.

34.jpg

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/141030/04.html

Compatibility with other titles is what interests me the most in all honesty. Very excited how these could possibly be implemented, but less enthusiastic when considering how lazy Nintendo could be with the whole thing.

Is it too late for Wonderful 101 Amiibos? =(

Compatibility with other titles is what interests me the most in all honesty. Very excited how these could possibly be implemented, but less enthusiastic when considering how lazy Nintendo could be with the whole thing.

Is it too late for Wonderful 101 Amiibos? =(

I would think so yes. Platinum are long done with that game and sales were so disappointing it'll most likely never see a sequel let alone amiibo support. There's been no talk of Bayonetta amiibo so W101 has no chance. Though I can't imagine the Bayonetta audience would care about amiibo, I certainly don't.

I guess Mario, Yoshi, Peach and DK are the best value Amiibo for the time being. Link too.. but.. that yellow block :/