N-Europe

Virtual Reality

Daft

One thing I'm confused about, if I bought Resident Evil 7 would it automatically work with PSVR or would I have to buy a separate VR version of the game? My understanding was always that you could buy a game for your PS4 and it would work as normal on your TV but if it had a VR element to it then you could use it with your PSVR headset, but looking at the listings on shopto and other websites there seem to be separate versions for VR and standard TV gaming.

If you have to pay another £40 to play a game you already have in VR then I can see it being a real problem for mainstream consumers and causing a lot of confusion.

So PSVR is out in a couple of weeks and this is on the second page? I guess VR has a LONG way to go ... Anyways, I'm still excited, but realised I need camera and move controllers... ARGH!!! I had both at one point... does anyone know of any deals?! Or have I left it WAY too late?

Also does anyone know of any good impressions/reviews of it and the launch line up and stuff? Want to get preordering what's needed. There's a bizarre lack of info and impressions online....

The new camera is £39 over at Amazon at the moment.

Amazon Link

As for impressions, just head over to Neogaf and they have a couple of threads about it.

EGX PSVR Impressions

General PSVR Thread

Also, Beyond has discussed and gave impressions about PSVR numerous times over the past few weeks. They've been saying that it's best to temper expectations, in that you shouldn't go in expecting full, big expansive games but rather small experiences scattered across various titles.

Jeff Gerstmann had a good discussion on the Bombcast recently about VR. Having tried both the bigger experiences and the smaller, niche ones he's realised that he just doesn't want the bigger ones. He wants to play those as he normally would but things like Rec Room which is just this social hub type place have been amazing.

I've played a lot less than he has with my Vive but I'm starting to agree. I'm not going to want to sit down for a couple of hours with a headset on to play a big game. I want to lean back and relax but something smaller and more VR focused I'm all in.

Jeff Gerstmann had a good discussion on the Bombcast recently about VR. Having tried both the bigger experiences and the smaller, niche ones he's realised that he just doesn't want the bigger ones. He wants to play those as he normally would but things like Rec Room which is just this social hub type place have been amazing.

I've played a lot less than he has with my Vive but I'm starting to agree. I'm not going to want to sit down for a couple of hours with a headset on to play a big game. I want to lean back and relax but something smaller and more VR focused I'm all in.

Yeah, i'm exactly the same but the main issue for me is the price. £400 to play these smaller experiences just isn't worth it. Especially this time of year when that money could be spent on the avalanche of games that are coming out.

Yeah, i'm exactly the same but the main issue for me is the price. £400 to play these smaller experiences just isn't worth it. Especially this time of year when that money could be spent on the avalanche of games that are coming out.

That's why I'm waiting for a price drop.

PSVR will get some bigger experiences eventually, I'm sure of that. But right now I don't want to (and can't) spend the money on the device.

Lookfing forward to the moment when I will get one, though :D

That's why I'm waiting for a price drop.

PSVR will get some bigger experiences eventually, I'm sure of that. But right now I don't want to (and can't) spend the money on the device.

Lookfing forward to the moment when I will get one, though :D

I'm a bit gutted I haven't been able to try one yet. There's a very limited PSVR tour starting soon ( may have already started) in the UK but it's only hitting a handful of venues, none of which are in the North East.

I'm a bit gutted I haven't been able to try one yet. There's a very limited PSVR tour starting soon ( may have already started) in the UK but it's only hitting a handful of venues, none of which are in the North East.

That's a shame. Would've loved to hear your thoughts on this.

I wasn't keen on VR before I tried it two years ago at Gamescom. But the tech demo convinced me that I will definitely buy the PSVR eventually. It's a great piece of tech for mainstream gamers and a perfect fit for the PS4.

Oh man. The PSVR breakout box doesn't support HDR pass through. So will have to keep unplugging the HDMI cables to use HDR.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

I literally don't understand what any of that means. lol

Tried a HoloLens for the first time today. Was alright - very primitive, in the nicest possible way.

My uni has just built a "Holo Room" and it's exclusively for my unis students atm, though they will open it up for the public in a few months.

To be fair though, the applications for the room seem, gimmicky at best, atm.

But hey, baby steps and all that.

Just watching Giant Bomb's PSVR livestream. Looks like it has quite bad tracking issues, tested in their studio and two separate homes. Thats a big shame to hear but unfortunately not unexpected as its new tech working with old tech (PS camera and move controllers).

Edited by Happenstance

I didn't have a problem when I used it in the office. I wonder what caused the issues. The only technical issue I had was a game crashing but it was early code so that wasn't a surprise.

It seems to be coming from multiple gaming outlets now as well. Not everyone has had it but enough that it seems a bit of a problem.

It seems to be coming from multiple gaming outlets now as well. Not everyone has had it but enough that it seems a bit of a problem.

Weird. I don't remember there being an issue before during early hands ons. I wonder what is going on.

Weird. I don't remember there being an issue before during early hands ons. I wonder what is going on.

Hopefully it does end up being something that can be fixed with a patch. Problem is going to be that this early coverage will certainly start to influence people. Watching the drift while they were standing still it looked pretty bad and this was the first time I've ever felt sick watching someone play VR.

The Engadget review is up and they don't highlight poor tracking in the cons so it doesn't seem to be affecting everyone.

That review does mention it, but bush it off saying it isn't a big deal as a reset sorts it out. I didn't care when Skyward sword needed resetting so can't see it bothering me!!

Can't wait now. Hope the small fov doesn't bother me. What is the GEAR's? I've been on that and didn't care at all if that pretty small too.

Also, super stardust ultra, it says 'compatible', does that mean the fact I already own it mean it'll work?

But drive club says required so that's a new version of the game?

That review does mention it, but bush it off saying it isn't a big deal as a reset sorts it out. I didn't care when Skyward sword needed resetting so can't see it bothering me!!

Can't wait now. Hope the small fov doesn't bother me. What is the GEAR's? I've been on that and didn't care at all if that pretty small too.

Also, super stardust ultra, it says 'compatible', does that mean the fact I already own it mean it'll work?

But drive club says required so that's a new version of the game?

Have you watched the Digital Foundry review? They really liked it too and it eased my fears about the low resolution, apparently it's more of a software problem than a hardware one so games with decent budgets should look great on it. I'm still on the fence about buying one because I'm not sure how much I would use it, will wait to hear what the cinematic mode is like before I take the plunge on it so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on that.

Have you watched the Digital Foundry review? They really liked it too and it eased my fears about the low resolution, apparently it's more of a software problem than a hardware one so games with decent budgets should look great on it. I'm still on the fence about buying one because I'm not sure how much I would use it, will wait to hear what the cinematic mode is like before I take the plunge on it so I look forward to hearing your thoughts on that.

Yeah, it's lot of money for not offering loads, but it feels far too futuristic not to get one and money isn't an issue so an easy decision, I'll definitely come back with my thoughts.

Just understanding things, pretty confusing and there isn't loads of info. There's supposed to be loads of games at launch but nowhere has them for preorder.... also not ecstatic about buying a camera nd controllers for an extra 115.... oh well!!!