N-Europe

Weight Loss and Fitness 2014

Beast

I just did my first ever half marathon, the Great Birmingham Run. Got a time of 2 hours 3 minutes which I am chuffed to bits over. I was looking dead set on getting under the two hour mark, but there was a great big ruddy hill to climb at around mile 11 which completely took the wind out of me. Still, going into the race I was expecting to run somewhere in the region of 2 hours 30, so to run it in nearly 2 hours is super awesome.

Well done, Zell.

That's one Zell of an achievement. I bet you feel like you've been to Zell and back.

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well done, Zell.

That's one Zell of an achievement. I bet you feel like you've been to Zell and back.

Yes, it is an achievement that I'm fiercely proud of.

My legs are in so much pain today. I could barely get down the stairs. Definitely going to take a week off exercising.

I'm shattered. I've been a bit lazy by my standards for the last two weeks and took a break from lifting to enjoy some of the games that I had bought. I've lifted a lot since then (and in fairness, did shit loads before that, so the rest was deserved) and just hit my legs tonight. Fuuark, lunges are the absolute worst. Squats are terrible, stiff legged deadlifts are awful, but lunges are designed to ruin me. I feel like I'm going to throw up every single time when I go heavy. I can feel the blood pumping right the way to my quads, it's so, so fucking nice but also simultaneously horrible.

Hit 120kg on squats (5x5). Really happy with that. I could have pushed to go heavier but I decided to make sure I hold my form and not add weight until I'm completely happy with my current weight. In the past 2 months I've gone from squatting 90kg to 120kg.

Having said that, my bench has suffered. Anyone else find this? After I go all out on squats, bench is exhausting. I've had to deload to 80kg (again 5x5).

Hit 120kg on squats (5x5). Really happy with that. I could have pushed to go heavier but I decided to make sure I hold my form and not add weight until I'm completely happy with my current weight. In the past 2 months I've gone from squatting 90kg to 120kg.

Having said that, my bench has suffered. Anyone else find this? After I go all out on squats, bench is exhausting. I've had to deload to 80kg (again 5x5).

Well done, that's a shit load of weight. :D

Do you do full body workouts? If so, I guess you could hit bench first and then legs second, you'd be able to go all out on bench but you'll probably have to go lighter on squats.

I've been shoulder pressing first and then hit bench second or third, in an attempt to get my shoulders to grow. Grind, grind, grind. And yes, I do find that I bench much less if I'm doing something else first. It's all about priorities though, if you know that you need to pay more attention to the legs, then always go with them first.

Couldn't work out yesterday or today because I've had a very sore upper back/neck. Not sure what I've done exactly but it's very fucking uncomfortable. Gutted because I was raring to go.

I'm doing the StrongLifts program which says always to do legs first (you do squats every session). So, in the gym three times a week and they're all full body workouts. Really happy with my progress on squats, it's just frustrating on bench.

Maybe I should switch bench and squats once a week.

I'm doing the StrongLifts program which says always to do legs first (you do squats every session). So, in the gym three times a week and they're all full body workouts. Really happy with my progress on squats, it's just frustrating on bench.

Hmm, I may look into that. So, you work out three days a week, but it's all full body? Do you feel that enough attention gets paid to shoulders, for example, when you do it? What's the volume like, is there a lot to get through in each workout?

You could try it and swap it up. I'm sure once a week won't hinder the squatting progress.

So it's basically two alternating days of exercises; the breakdown is...

Week One

Monday - Squats (5x5), Bench Press (5x5), Barbell Row (5x5)

Wednesday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

Friday - Squats (5x5), Bench Press (5x5), Barbell Row (5x5)

Week Two

Monday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

Wednesday - Squats (5x5), Bench Press (5x5), Barbell Row (5x5)

Friday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

I sporadically throw in biceps and abs.

It actually doesn't take too much time and the only thing I find it lacks are arms a little and I chuck in abs because I want abs. Shoulders definitely get covered during Shoulder Press and a little in Barbell Rows.

Week One

Wednesday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

Week Two

Monday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

Friday - Squats (5x5), Overhead Press (5x5), Deadlift (5x1 - One set of five reps)

It actually doesn't take too much time and the only thing I find it lacks are arms a little and I chuck in abs because I want abs. Shoulders definitely get covered during Shoulder Press and a little in Barbell Rows.

That makes a lot of sense and it's similar to some of the programs that I've seen before. I already knew of Stronglifts but wasn't sure if there was a bit more to it than that.

I like the pattern that it follows: Legs, chest/shoulders, back. So, they're each getting hit three times a week. I like the idea of working the legs three times a week. For me, I'd probably have to make a few minor adjustments to get some of the other stuff in there, pull-ups for example.

I'm going to give it a go, but I'll do maybe one or two accessory exercises to go with it. For example, dips on the Monday, Bicep curls on the Wednesday and Pull ups on the Friday, or something like that. I'm also thinking that maybe I should add in a fourth day to do each of those accessories, too? So, on the Saturday for example, doing pull-ups, biceps and triceps exercises, just to keep them ticking along, maybe ab work, too.

Have you noticed visible improvements to your body whilst doing this? My two areas of focus at the moment are legs and shoulders.

Got to say, even though I've dropped down to three days a week at the gym (from 5 at one point), it is absolutely knackering. I tried to add in a fourth day with a bit of running and biceps but I wasn't getting the rest time I needed and it started to take a toll.

My legs have gotten bigger, that's the most noticeable change. Abs are still there, even though I started eating more and stopped running. It's hard to tell to be perfectly honest. I only really 100% nailed the barbell rows technique a couple weeks ago (got top always lift off the ground and touch the chest).

Take a look at the strength standards. It's likely that you've passed the stage where a programme like StrongLifts is beneficial for you and could move onto a more advanced programme that incorporates a split. If you're hitting novice to intermediate it could be a sign you could change.

Week One

Week Two

I'm doing this as well and you're right, it's exhausting. Short and intense sessions..that's what I like. I'm also fitting in an abs and biceps session on the 4th day.

On another note, does anyone yawn a lot at the gym? No matter the session..no matter how much sleep I got, I yawn like a fucking beast, especially when I'm squatting. So weird :(

Take a look at the strength standards. It's likely that you've passed the stage where a programme like StrongLifts is beneficial for you and could move onto a more advanced programme that incorporates a split. If you're hitting novice to intermediate it could be a sign you could change.

I was reading about this yesterday. And coincidentally I hit 122.5kg on the squat today which is dead on intermediate.

My bench is 80kg. Below intermediate. I was even thinking of deloading, too. Urrrgh, it's so frustrating.

Although having said that, are those standards 1MR? Because I'm doing 5x5.

Looks like Madcow 5x5 is the way to go after StrongLifts. But I haven't looked into it much.

Kind of caught off guard by having to change so quickly because I've only been doing SL for 2 months.

I'm doing this as well and you're right, it's exhausting. Short and intense sessions..that's what I like. I'm also fitting in an abs and biceps session on the 4th day.

On another note, does anyone yawn a lot at the gym? No matter the session..no matter how much sleep I got, I yawn like a fucking beast, especially when I'm squatting. So weird :(

Yes. Especially if the intensity isn't so high, I yawn as well. It's probably because your muscles need the air. I also yawn a lot during work - not because I'm sleep deprived or bored but simply because the air isn't good quality and my muscles demand quite a lot of air (I think, this is a theory but if less people is in the room, I don't yawn as much). By intensity, I mean the interval between sets - high intensity = less interval between sets.

---

On another note, I started treatment for my groin problems with a physician today. It was slightly different from what I expected. He told me to take off my clothes and bend over... :) Well, he examined me and found out that I had an oddity in the bone structure in the region that he would fix. He did. And then he gave me acupuncture. That surprised me, I've always thought of it as hogum but I accepted it because, why not? Now I'm quite sore in my inner thigh. Looking forward to seeing if it has helped.

Why do so many people in the gym waste time with things like Bicep curls and Tricep Kickbacks? Seriously, so some dips or pull-ups; works the same muscle just as well and actually builds functional strength.

Dat feel when you can workout at home and do whatever the fuck you like because you know you won't be holding people up.

I exercise in my underwear. It's soooo liberating. :D (except those initial moments of coldness where your naked bodeh lies flat on the bench and the surface is freezing.)

Right, I've attempted SS tonight and quite enjoyed it. Did the first day of 5x5 Squats, Bench and Barbell Rows. You know what, it's quite nice being able to switch from one body part to the next. When I usually hit legs, they're usually still dying from squats and stiff legged deadlifts when I come to the lunges. I think I'm going to enjoy this.

I've followed it right down to the letter and have started with roughly 50% of my 5-rep max weight for each exercise. It's like rugby; you have to pass backwards to go forwards.

Why do so many people in the gym waste time with things like Bicep curls and Tricep Kickbacks? Seriously, so some dips or pull-ups; works the same muscle just as well and actually builds functional strength.

Bicep curls, when done properly, will activate only the biceps where as pull ups bring a lot of other muscles into play. If you're already done a lot for your back you can do curls without having to use your back muscles. Research suggests that both pull ups and chin ups activate your lats a similar amount.

As for tricep kickbacks and dips? No idea. Perhaps some people can't do dips? Or have done dips and want to do more than one tricep exercise?

I actually had to stop doing dips for a while because of some discomfort that I was having in my elbow region. My pressing in general was affected by it. I ended up doing kick-backs for a while before slowly re-introducing the dips. Quite enjoyed it if I'm honest, it was different and I had the mind-muscle contraction just right and could feel the muscle being worked.

I try and do 21s once a week (and only as an extra). They're amazing. Otherwise, yeah, an utter waste of energy.

@Fierce_LiNk How much do you usually squat?

I try and do 21s once a week (and only as an extra). They're amazing. Otherwise, yeah, an utter waste of energy.

21s = 7 reps, 3 times, where the first 7 reps are from bottom to halfway up, the next 7 are from halfway up to up, and the last 7 are all the way? They are painful as fuck - and thus delightful!

21s = 7 reps, 3 times, where the first 7 reps are from bottom to halfway up, the next 7 are from halfway up to up, and the last 7 are all the way? They are painful as fuck - and thus delightful!

Exactly! Dat buuuuurn and pump.

This will require a detailed response. :D

I previously worked my way up to 108kg just over a year ago before realising that my depth was pretty shit. So, I started pretty much from scratch again and worked my way up from 50KG upwards, going below parallel.

I managed to work my way back up to around 80/90kg before experiencing pain in my hip flexor. When this happened, I switched from the back squat to the front squat and rebuilt myself from there. Worked from 40kg all the way up to 80 for sets of 5 reps, pretty proud of that. On a cut, too!

I spent ages on the cut to get my abs in shape for the summer, whilst still progressing with the front squat. I slowly switched from the front back to back squats and moved the weight up slowly. It was quite difficult to do any serious weight on a cut.

Started bulking again at around August and have managed to get my back squat (which feels fucking great now, no hip flexor issues) up to 92kg for 5 reps and going.

Howeveeeeer, as I've just started Stronglifts, to get my body used to squatting 3 times a week, I've gone in with what was recommended, which was to do 50% of your 5-rep max. So, back down to 40-ish kg and back up again. Second session today, 50.5kg, depth was great, hip flexor was great and I'm looking forward to seeing some benefits at last.

Very stop start, but it's better to hit the lower weight with great depth rather than to go in half arsed and do shitty squats. I'd rather see some gains and know that I'm doing it the right way. The hip flexor pain was unfortunate and there wasn't a lot I could do about it, so I'm glad to finally be enjoying back squats again. Feels good.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

After hitting 125kg yesterday, I feel good about my squat. I went up from 80kg - because like you I want to make sure I maintained my form and depth - in two months. I think a lot of that strength was already there, I've squatted 100kg, no problem but I had no confidence after that. Two months of StrongLifts and BAM, I'm happy with my form and confident with the weight.

...Just need to sort chest out.

I wonder is doing chest three times a week, just for two months, would be a good idea.

After hitting 125kg yesterday, I feel good about my squat. I went up from 80kg - because like you I want to make sure I maintained my form and depth - in two months. I think a lot of that strength was already there, I've squatted 100kg, no problem but I had no confidence after that. Two months of StrongLifts and BAM, I'm happy with my form and confident with the weight.

...Just need to sort chest out.

I wonder is doing chest three times a week, just for two months, would be a good idea.

Yeah, I'm feeling confident and know that my lifts will improve. I was already squatting either once or twice a week and seeing improvements, so doing it more often will only help.

I don't really see the harm of hitting chest three times a week. If you want to get better at something, you do it more often. Would you do squat and bench three times a week? The only downsides would be that it's potentially very fucking tiring and that your overhead press may suffer initially (as you'll be too tired from benching to go heavy on that)