NEurope
Beast

Weight Loss and Fitness 2014

Yeah, I'm making it literally 22 minutes into 2014. I've decided to make a blog going through my weight-loss. This is part of my resolution which is to blog every day and to lose weight. So for anyone who wants to talk about their fitness and stuff in 2014, this is the thread! ;)

http://www.doesmybloglookbig.wordpress.com is my blog. Check it out when y'all aren't so hungover! Have a good'un!

2013 thread.

Edited by Ashley

I didnt expect this thread to get any posts yesterday. I spent the whole day yesterday in wetherspoons with @kav82 supping a full fat coke and feeling horrific.

Just done a short 5k run today. Put a lot of weight on since end of sept due to various reasons. The run was difficult!!

I'm back into the swing of things now. In truth, I don't think I gained an awful lot of weight during my time "off". Stomach still looks decent. Feelsgoodman.jpeg.

I was so tired at the end of yesterday's session. Struggled to do any dips. Feltbadman.

According to my scales, I've gained 8lbs!

This confuses me because I've not eaten anything disastrous but I have been working a lot, therefore I've not been to the gym. I'll use the gym's scales when I'm in there next time, I think they're more accurate.

Well after my trauma at the hospital on Christmas night etc, I've been laid up since and have been told to basically do nothing for at least a fortnight. :(

Unfortunately for me, I don't gain weight from doing fuck all and eating, I lose it. What's with that?!

Anyway all my hard work in the gym and with my eating to gain 11 pounds is wearing away slowly. I've lost like 3 pounds so far and it's so depressing. I'm trying to eat like I was before, but truthfully, with no exercise from my tennis or gym work I've just not got the same appetite. :(

Spoke to my PT earlier and filled him in on what's happening as he was wandering where I was. He told me to try and eat everything and anything to keep the gains. :heh:

I'm trying!

I really had the gym bug too. Can't wait to get back to it.

This confuses me because I've not eaten anything disastrous but I have been working a lot, therefore I've not been to the gym. I'll use the gym's scales when I'm in there next time, I think they're more accurate.

You on MyFitnessPal? If so add me...Sharra87

I think I am. I think I signed up to it sometime before but never really taken to it. I'll try it out again though and I'll add you fo' shizzle!

I think I am. I think I signed up to it sometime before but never really taken to it. I'll try it out again though and I'll add you fo' shizzle!

Would be good to nosy what you are up to haha. Also it might help keep the motivation.

Anyone else on it?

Would be good to nosy what you are up to haha. Also it might help keep the motivation.

Anyone else on it?

I'm Dazzillionaire.

Added you mate :)

Nice one! Just need to figure out how to use it again, lmao.

I'm doing well in updating my blog as well. It's been two days and I'm still remembering it, an all-new record for me, haha.

I don't actually get the measurements and things like that when it comes to putting in the food in the food diary so the information I put in it may be wrong.

I put on a small amount - was trying to - but will probably have lost it again within the next few days. :hmm:

Weight fluctuates daily depending if you've eaten a lot that day, been to the bathroom, have wet hair, drunk a lot of water etc etc. Use the same scales every single day and track it in a spreadsheet and look at the trend over a period of a few weeks to see it properly.

I only gained 2lbs over xmas so I've gone from 25lbs down to 23lbs. Onwards and upwards 8 months till the wedding day!

Worked out legs yesterday. I'm back to enjoying back squats again. The only downside for me is that I'm tired out when it comes to front squatting. Other than that, enjoyed it.

Have to get back into the routine and do this regularly...my arse hurts this morning.

This year I'm going to start by continuing with light deadlifts and build them very slowly, I don't have a weight goal, i just want to be able to deadlift regularly and not snap my back again. And I'll work around my dodgy shoulder with waiter walks. Pressing aches but for some reason waiter walks don't, and they're supposed to be awesome for rehabing shoulders.

As well as waiter walks i'll do some other loaded carries, such as light farmers walks and rack carries. I'll also get back to L-sits, currently I can only hold them for about 5 seconds, I used to do 10-12.

I don't know why but I've gone off the idea of doing regular reps a bit lately. For some reason I seem really drawn towards carries and static holds. Maybe I subconsciously I think they're just easier than presses and rows. I do like the feeling of tension you get from isometric contactions though, and carrys just feel like a very natural thing to do.

I still intend to deadlift and squat etc though, I don't think walking with just 22.5kg dumbbells is hard enough on the legs.

Two questions:

1) With exercises that use the barbell (bench press, deadlift etc) do you guys include the weight of the barbell? Just never been sure and googling around earlier you seem to get the dudebros saying no and everyone else saying yes.

2) Anyone here use personal trainers? As the membership at my new (old) gym will be crazy cheap (£16 if I pay monthly, £11 if I pay for 6 months upfront) I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure. I think it could be useful (in that someone else will be monitoring me) but is twice a month sufficient? Or maybe even once a month?

Two questions:

1) With exercises that use the barbell (bench press, deadlift etc) do you guys include the weight of the barbell? Just never been sure and googling around earlier you seem to get the dudebros saying no and everyone else saying yes.

2) Anyone here use personal trainers? As the membership at my new (old) gym will be crazy cheap (£16 if I pay monthly, £11 if I pay for 6 months upfront) I'm thinking of getting one, but not sure. I think it could be useful (in that someone else will be monitoring me) but is twice a month sufficient? Or maybe even once a month?

Im a dudebro so i say no. It's the weights you put on.

Nah never bothered with a personal trainer. Theres that much info on the internet that it is not needed. If it is motivation then I dont really see the point of having one or two sessions per month. What are you going to do the rest of the time? It might be an idea to go with a mate as then you will not want to let each other down.

Sooo ive done a decent shoulder workout today. Downing a protein shake and a jobs a good un :)

Nah never bothered with a personal trainer. Theres that much info on the internet that it is not needed. If it is motivation then I dont really see the point of having one or two sessions per month. What are you going to do the rest of the time? It might be an idea to go with a mate as then you will not want to let each other down.

I'm considering it so that I can have someone to "touch base" with as it were - be able to say "since we last met I've progressed by doing x,y,z" and having some feedback about whether that's good, what to aim for etc. I know I can speak to people on here, but think it might be useful. I have a routine that I use, its more about having someone check up on me and push me not to rest on my laurels.

I'm going to go to the work gym so wouldn't expect any friends to join me as its in the middle of nowhere (at least in London terms) and I plan to go ~7:30am. There's someone I know at work who goes around that kind of time, so I may ask for him to spot me and what not, but not sure how much he knows about body-building as I think he just goes for the cardio.

I'm considering it so that I can have someone to "touch base" with as it were - be able to say "since we last met I've progressed by doing x,y,z" and having some feedback about whether that's good, what to aim for etc. I know I can speak to people on here, but think it might be useful. I have a routine that I use, its more about having someone check up on me and push me not to rest on my laurels.

I'm going to go to the work gym so wouldn't expect any friends to join me as its in the middle of nowhere (at least in London terms) and I plan to go ~7:30am. There's someone I know at work who goes around that kind of time, so I may ask for him to spot me and what not, but not sure how much he knows about body-building as I think he just goes for the cardio.

I have a PT Ashley and it's the best decision I made.

As you say, it's more a case of having someone there who you can talk things through with. The first question my PT asked me was 'what is the goal' and then when I told him, he said it was his job to help me get there.

I haven't had much experience with weights in the gym which is why I like having the PT session each week. It introduces new exercises that targets different muscles / muscle groups that I can then incorporate into my alone gym time outside of the PT.

I've found it works for me and my PT has been great in recommending a lot of different foods / shakes / protein sites that have a good selection of munch.

I will continue using PT even after my block book sessions have come to an end as I really enjoy the extra intensity he provides. After a PT I'm virtually crawling, whereas alone I never push myself so hard.

Definitely give it a go. Some PT's do a free first session to see how you find it. And from one skinny to another - good luck!

Two questions:

Yes, I do. I always thought people did. If you listen to people like say Mark Rippetoe talk about barbell training and specifically squatting, you'll hear certain weights always mentioned, such as 135 and 405 pounds. I assume it breaks down like this:

Single plate squat 135 (2 x 45, + 45 bar)

Four plate squat 405 (6 x 45, + 45 bar)

You'll hear "135 on the bar." But I don't think you take it literally as 135 on the 45 bar, I'm fairly certain it means total including the bar.

Ultimately it doesn't really matter whether you count the bar or not, but you're not cheating if you include the bar, you are lifting it after all.

You include the bar. An Olympic (standard) bar weighs 20kg and that weight is counted as you are lifting it.

Here's a little before and after comparision I just did.

Took the first pic end of August before I started getting back into some exercising and the 2nd pic today.

Obvs ignore the massive lighting difference caused by difference between a sunny summer day and a gloomy winter :heh:

My original idea was I was gonna take a pic daily or weekly and maybe make it into a video (if there was good improvement) but after I took the "before" pic I totally forgot and never followed through, was just cleaning up my camera's SD card and found the first pic so thought why not take a pic today to compare.

comparison1_zpsf7b00baa.jpg

(My beard grew too between shots :heh:)

I think there's a decent amount of improvement :D Belly is a lot smaller and can see a bit of the upper ab defining. Think Chest and shoulders are improved too.

I feel like my arms are better though I don't think it's showing much in this pic, but I have been told by some friends recently that they think my forearms are improved and a bit toned.

Not a massive improvement, prolly could have done better over the time period but don't want to get too caught up in it or be changing too much (mainly diet).

Not changed anything in my diet really, only change is 5 or 6 days a week I eat fruit for lunch (just one bannana or 2 oranges with a protein shake), still allow myself a burger for lunch on the once or twice a week I am in the city :heh:

Exercise is just at home, don't have time (or money haha) for a Gym and just doing 20-35mins of a workout 4 days a week. So I could be doing more but I'm happy to take it slow and happy with just reducing that belly haha. Now lets see if I can get it down that bit more over the next few months :)

Not actually lost weight either, for whatever weight in fat I've lost off the belly must have come back on in muscle, was 70kg in Aug and still 70kg today :)