NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo and Online Gaming. What's The Deal?

Splatoon is I believe now aimed at the age on the box after reading the EDGE article. The voice chat decision and their reasoning is annoying, as is the 45 challenge quests and 15 rare items locked on the disk. Didn't take long for amiibo to turn into a launch DLC paywall. If this was Capcom, EA or Ubisoft the pitchforks would be out.

I can guarantee that the pitchforks will be out on this forum for Nintendo on this.

Capcom, EA and Ubisoft do get away with Day 1 DLC. They get away with it due to people paying for it. Nintendo is a business rather than some left wing organisation and therefore probably wants some of the £££.

I don't personally like what Nintendo may be heading towards but if it is that what they are intending to do then as a business I can't fault their decision.

I can guarantee that the pitchforks will be out on this forum for Nintendo on this.

Capcom, EA and Ubisoft do get away with Day 1 DLC. They get away with it due to people paying for it. Nintendo is a business rather than some left wing organisation and therefore probably wants some of the £££.

I don't personally like what Nintendo may be heading towards but if it is that what they are intending to do then as a business I can't fault their decision.

The pitchforks came out for Capcom pulling on disc DLC back when Resident Evil 5 came out and quite rightly so.

I have no issue with Nintendo doing DLC or day 1 DLC. If I want it, i'll uy it. Just like I do with other companies DLC.

What I am liking is that it shows that they aren't some sweet, candyland company that people make them out to be and are, just as you said, a business. There is money to be made and it was being left on the table by not incorporating DLC into their games.

I agree Blade.

And lets face it, if they gave it away for free and then the Wii U printed a £20 note once you downloaded it certain people would still be moaning about it.

I like that amiibo unlocks content.

I think it's certainly a different way of doing it. And it's a choice at the end of the day. I just think it'd be better if Nintendo opted to provide any DLC without the need for an amiibo for those people (like me) who aren't really interested in figurines.

Day 1 DLC is wrong. It should be absorbed into the cost of developing the game. How did companies manage before? Capcom were the first company to do this as far as I'm aware and it's a practise that has become more and more prevalent. Splatoon isn't some huge budget blockbuster that Nintendo need to find extra ways to recoup the cost of.

And there's other things too. Like if say you want the DLC but don't care for the amiibo, well tough $h1t you have to buy them. Besides all their games now come in some bundle, remember back to MK8 and the blue shell bundle. No functionality, it was prior to amiibo launching and was just a cheap bit of plastic but the same price as what all these bundles are now.

Day 1 DLC is wrong. It should be absorbed into the cost of developing the game. How did companies manage before? Capcom were the first company to do this as far as I'm aware and it's a practise that has become more and more prevalent. Splatoon isn't some huge budget blockbuster that Nintendo need to find extra ways to recoup the cost of.

And there's other things too. Like if say you want the DLC but don't care for the amiibo, well tough $h1t you have to buy them. Besides all their games now come in some bundle, remember back to MK8 and the blue shell bundle. No functionality, it was prior to amiibo launching and was just a cheap bit of plastic but the same price as what all these bundles are now.

I don't think it's that simple, and it's something we'll never know, but ultimately as DLC is planned in advance now, then if they spent more money and resources developing the content at the same time rather than afterward, then it's absolutely fine. Other than 'principle' if they make it during or after ,as long as it's EXTRA resources then whats the issue?!

Also, you have to realise that game prices are coming down down down. Especially Nintendo's (not their digital stuff), game sales are lower due to increased competition, mobile is decimating the industry to an extent (and the general raise to the bottom on everything), so companies have to find new ways of generating income, otherwise they can't make the games we want them to make.

I wouldn't be so sure about that... It has been in development for around 2.5 years now. I'm willing to bet that the budget on that is gonna be at least as high the likes as Super Mario 3D World and Pikmin 3...

There's a good reason why it's a full retail priced game...

I don't think it's that simple, and it's something we'll never know, but ultimately as DLC is planned in advance now, then if they spent more money and resources developing the content at the same time rather than afterward, then it's absolutely fine. Other than 'principle' if they make it during or after ,as long as it's EXTRA resources then whats the issue?!

Also, you have to realise that game prices are coming down down down. Especially Nintendo's (not their digital stuff), game sales are lower due to increased competition, mobile is decimating the industry to an extent (and the general raise to the bottom on everything), so companies have to find new ways of generating income, otherwise they can't make the games we want them to make.

In terms of inflation hasn't the cost of gaming been reduced through the years anyway? Im sure N64 games were around 50 quid.

In terms of inflation hasn't the cost of gaming been reduced through the years anyway? Im sure N64 games were around 50 quid.

N64 games were around £70 when it first launched. Crazy times.

N64 games were around £70 when it first launched. Crazy times.

Yeah, it was insanity, and nowadays we balk at the £55-£60 PS4/XBO game RRPs

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's cheaper, but getting cheaper still, and far more companies than their used to be, far more platforms, so the money is getting spread more thinly, so they have to find other ways of finding that.

yeah, I remember Turok costing £80 at launch!!! Conker's Bad Fur Day was £60 at GAME too but I managed to get it for £30 on sale :D

Yeah you're right. Most games you can get for around £40 at launch if you shop around - who pays RRP, really?

It's more concerning for me when games still cost £30+ years after release. I don't mind if it launches at £40+ if I can find it around £20 or less some months later...

This is such a shoddy reason. He's not wrong about randoms saying stuff like this but what about when playing with friends? It seems like it's all or nothing with Nintendo. Why they can't just make it so you can talk to people on your friends list is beyond me. :wtf:

It's also ironic/hypocritical. He's basically saying to voice chat "you're crap, go away"!

My issue would be the DLC being locked behind amiibo themselves.

I don't want to get into collecting them, so would prefer DLC to be made available separately on the store for everyone.

It's one thing to paywall people out of games, it's another to paywall DLC behind figures only a percentage of people will buy, then to price them higher than some DLC, and make them hard to find.

My issue would be the DLC being locked behind amiibo themselves.

I don't want to get into collecting them, so would prefer DLC to be made available separately on the store for everyone.

It's one thing to paywall people out of games, it's another to paywall DLC behind figures only a percentage of people will buy, then to price them higher than some DLC, and make them hard to find.

It's essentially Day 1 paid DLC (assuming the amiibo works out the box). That's a really shitty practice.

Day 1 paid DLC where you get to keep a really nice figurine. That's where the majority of the £11 comes in.

Day 1 paid DLC where you get to keep a really nice figurine. That's where the majority of the £11 comes in.

But the issue still stands that some people don't want the figurine. And some people that do, can't even get it anyway!

Still D1 content locked behind a paywall. Shitty practice.

And yeah, I don't want the figurines. Clutter.

It's essentially Day 1 paid DLC (assuming the amiibo works out the box). That's a really shitty practice.

Not really, because whether you want to acknowledge it or not:

1) Most Amiibo work with more than one game, so once you've got a figure it will often unlock little bonuses in more than one game. This is not the same as DLC - which is a one off payment and results in a download that only works with one title.

2) Amiibo have a value in themselves, DLC does not. Amiibo are collectable figures which have a resale value, you can't resell DLC, nor does it have any extra value in itself.

3) As of yet, Amiibo have managed to tread a fine line, offering little bonuses in games but not locking away anything that could be considered substantial. These extra challenges in Splatoon are as of yet an unknown quantity. Obviously if they are full missions I will retract this point, but if they are minor challenges that amount to nothing more than something akin to an Xbox Achievement then they won't amount to anything worth complaining over.

Not really, because whether you want to acknowledge it or not:

Please explain how content that is on the disc that is unlocked by a further purchase is "not really" paid D1 DLC.

If you personally find value in amiibos then you might be able to justify it to yourself, but it is still paid D1 DLC.

Please explain how content that is on the disc that is unlocked by a further purchase is "not really" paid D1 DLC.

If you personally find value in amiibos then you might be able to justify it to yourself, but it is still paid D1 DLC.

His whole post explains it well enough. He even states dependant on the content the Amiibo unlocks that he may withdraw his point. Come on Sheikah, at least read his whole post.

Edited by Kav

His while post explains it well enough. He even states dependant on the content the Amiibo unlocks that he may withdraw his point. Come on Sheikah, at least read his whole post.

I did read his whole post, I just quoted the part that needed quoting.

It's definitely paid D1 DLC.

Is it content already on the disc? Yes, it is.

Do you have to make a purchase in order to unlock this content? Yes, you do.

Your post does nothing to dispel the point I'm making. The fact the amiibo also works in other games and you get a figure out of it does not change the fact this is D1 DLC that you must pay for if you want to unlock it.

Zechs' argument hinges on the fact it's not 'traditional' DLC as you're also getting a figure. But regardless, it's content locked behind a paywall - it's just another form of paid D1 DLC.

Edited by Sheikah

I did read his whole post, I just quoted the part that needed quoting.

It's definitely D1 DLC.

Is it content already on the disc? Yes, it is.

Do you have to make a purchase in order to unlock this content? Yes, you do.

Your post does nothing to dispel the point I'm making. The fact the amiibo also works in other games and you get a figure out of it does not change the fact this is D1 DLC - it's already on the disc and you have to make an additional purchase to unlock it.

I clearly listed the differences between actual DLC and Amiibo.

What's more, Amiibo are transferable, you can take your Amiibo to a friend's house and unlock bonuses for them. Whereas DLC can only be used once with a single system (and single game).

You are simplifying a point and ignoring facts to try and force a point - which frankly just makes you look pretty silly.

I clearly listed the differences between actual DLC and Amiibo.

Yes, you did. You pointed out differences beteen amiibos and 'standard' DLC. Yet you still don't get the very, very simple point that I am putting forward to you:

It's still paid D1 DLC.

You have to pay in order to unlock game content that is already on the disc.

It's content that, if it was already developed, could easily have been 'unlocked' for all customers. The simple fact is, it isn't. Nintendo aren't the first company to do this, but it is regardless a shitty practice. Continuing to spin this as something completely different is not going to help your point here.