NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Nintendo and Online Gaming. What's The Deal?

I think the only way to move forward for them is to try and build the online system from the ground up, and have it as a major core focus of the next system's development from the beginning and constantly throughout - rather than something to think about later. I'm not sure if we'll see that sort of focus from them, though. If you're constantly thinking about it at every step of the way of building your system however; surely you're going to come out of it with something of a more reliable and solid product?

Also avoids any stupid issues such as oh i don't know having to turn off your online for all your old games because your existing servers are too tightly coded into things and becoming extortionately priced or whatevs.

The NWFC should really have been a better foundation for their online to evolve on, kinda like how XBL or PSN was beyond the system of sorts when the successors arrived.

Ofc, my actual workings of the online systems isn't tiptop, I may have inaccurately thrown some assumptions about things in here.

I think the only way to move forward for them is to try and build the online system from the ground up, and have it as a major core focus of the next system's development from the beginning and constantly throughout - rather than something to think about later. I'm not sure if we'll see that sort of focus from them, though. If you're constantly thinking about it at every step of the way of building your system however; surely you're going to come out of it with something of a more reliable and solid product?

Also avoids any stupid issues such as oh i don't know having to turn off your online for all your old games because your existing servers are too tightly coded into things and becoming extortionately priced or whatevs.

The NWFC should really have been a better foundation for their online to evolve on, kinda like how XBL or PSN was beyond the system of sorts when the successors arrived.

Ofc, my actual workings of the online systems isn't tiptop, I may have inaccurately thrown some assumptions about things in here.

To be fair, the Wii had terrible terrible online, and the Wii U is a good (if not great!) improvement on that.

I think that there is room to improve things, tying in club Nintendo into everything I think is a good step towards that, miiverse, a friends list etc.

The main frustration for me is the inability to access the home menu friends list whilst online. The game pad, imo, is screaming to be used for that. If you could always access miiverse and the friends list from the gamepad without exception would be nice. And that Wii U chat thing... that would be nice to be able to launch from the friends list to chat to online friends.