NEurope
Dcubed

Wii Sports Club

Wait wait wait, there is no option to set up a lobby/room and invite friends in to play with you?

nope :mad:

still not seen friends online at same time as me to see how it actually works but seems to be like MKDS.... will anyone be playing online later ... say 7-7.30?

Can you only play this using the Wii motion plus?

Yup. All 5 sports will require Motionplus.

But for the N-E League Red...THE LEAGUE!!!
With the online set-up in this? Yeah right. :laughing:

See you next year for the MK8 League.

SV201071_zps2f03db17.jpg

I'm feeling confident about playing someone who has been holding the Wii Remote the wrong way since 2006 :heh:

The game is downloading for me now but I probably won't get to try it out until tomorrow or Saturday night when I have an opportunity to make more use of the 24-Hour pass :indeed:

The comments about the terrible mess they have made of online play and feeling a bit more Namco than Nintendo seems worrying to me.. but I've been craving some decent tennis for so long, I'll hopefully be able to forgive it :blank:

I'm feeling confident about playing someone who has been holding the Wii Remote the wrong way since 2006 :heh:

To me it always felt like teh net of the racket should be going verticle with the wiimote held like that :heh:

Never had an issue on the Wii :heh:

Getting somewhat used to holding it the other way now though.

The game is downloading for me now but I probably won't get to try it out until tomorrow or Saturday night when I have an opportunity to make more use of the 24-Hour pass :indeed:

See you tomorrow so, I'll prolly still spend the cash tomorrow when my pass runs out.... in the vain hope they update/patch the online set up in the near future :heh:

Anyway I going online now for about 20mins before switching to Deus Ex, hopefully I can find some of ye on in that time on one of teh games

See you tomorrow so, I'll prolly still spend the cash tomorrow when my pass runs out.... in the vain hope they update/patch the online set up in the near future :heh:

..at least if only you and me pay for the game, it'll be easier to find each other online : peace:

As for holding the Wii Remote the right way, I believe the squash game in Wii Fit U actually has the player holding it the opposite way from what I've been used to all these years.. and it doesn't feel quite right!

Currently in a game of 100 Pin Bowling (looks like I'll be 2nd :() Getting a Strike in 100 Pin still feels extra awesome, haha.

Also just noticed when it's not your turn your Mii (and others waiting turn) is displayed on a "TV" above the alley, you can make your Mii jump by shaking teh Wiimote or do a spin by twisting the wiimote. Nice little novelty thing :)

Currently in a game of 100 Pin Bowling (looks like I'll be 2nd :() Getting a Strike in 100 Pin still feels extra awesome, haha.

Also just noticed when it's not your turn your Mii (and others waiting turn) is displayed on a "TV" above the alley, you can make your Mii jump by shaking teh Wiimote or do a spin by twisting the wiimote. Nice little novelty thing :)

Oh nice! It's the little things that really make Nintendo games what they are :D

BTW, I love how they make all these little idle movements and such visible, even when playing online (that must've been really tough from a netcode perspective!). Really goes a long way towards making online feel that much more personal :)

It's just a shame that the friends match setup is such utter balls :( Hopefully this'll be one of those things that they change and update over time (along with Wii Fit U style custom communities), what with this being touted as an ongoing service and all...

Wait wait wait, there is no option to set up a lobby/room and invite friends in to play with you?

That typical Nintendo style of treating online play as bastard child. When are they going to get with the times.

Definitely having second thoughts about even getting the Tennis pass now. :hmm:

This can actually suffer from some terrible lag at times, and I've already been stuck in several games that were completely unplayable. :nono: It's also serving as a harsh reminder of just how unreliable Wii Motion Plus can be. I often find the precision goes out the window, and I'm unable to recalibrate by down on the D-Pad, or placing the remote on a flat surface. The only solution is removing and then reinserting the batteries. :indeed:

It's not a dodgy remote either, as I've tested several (including the attachment version too) and after a while they all suffer the same fate. Motion Plus is just flaky tech, always has been, always will be. :sad:

It's a shame, because when this is working as intended it's really quite good. Oh well. ::shrug:

I haven't downloaded this yet. The only one I am interested in anyway is the tennis, but I've been out playing actual real life tennis this evening hence not having chance to try this out. :heh:

I have to agree with RedShell though before I've even tried this - motion plus has always been massively hit and miss. I never really liked it on grand slam tennis either - much preferred just using the remote without the attachment but it was impossible to win the point that way :p so I had to master motion plus. And master it, I did. :grin:

Anyway, when I get in tomorrow I will definitely be giving this bad boy a whirl.

OK fair enough, not so bad I guess..... EXCEPT after you've posted your callouts to Miiverse it takes up to an HOUR before they are usable in YOUR GAME!

How did this set up get past Beta Testing.....WHO THE HELL BETA TESTS THIS STUFF?????

That's Nintendo being safe again, and making sure that all callouts are Miiverse checked, and aren't Big Cocks and offence.

This morning I was playing a normal game of bowling online, and the internet dropped out (twice). It threw me out of the game and said online is not available. Pressed the Wii U Home button and my online is fine, but the online icon in the game (to choose a new online game) is greyed out. All I can do is reset the game and try again, only to have it do the same thing again in the first frame.

Anyone else had connection problems?

Edited by londragon

This can actually suffer from some terrible lag at times, and I've already been stuck in several games that were completely unplayable. :nono: It's also serving as a harsh reminder of just how unreliable Wii Motion Plus can be. I often find the precision goes out the window, and I'm unable to recalibrate by down on the D-Pad, or placing the remote on a flat surface. The only solution is removing and then reinserting the batteries. :indeed:

It's not a dodgy remote either, as I've tested several (including the attachment version too) and after a while they all suffer the same fate. Motion Plus is just flaky tech, always has been, always will be. :sad:

It's a shame, because when this is working as intended it's really quite good. Oh well. ::shrug:

Yeah, Motion+ is flaky! I hadn't used it for a while so when I played the new Mario and Sonic I wasn't sure whether it was the software or Motion+ at fault but I think I know now!

How is it not recalibrating?

Are you maybe holding you're wiimote like I described I did on the original game, where this game seems to require you hold it slightly differently? (see pics on previous page)

Anyway before finishing up last night when I called time on my Deus Ex session, I checked the friends list and spotted 5 or 6 people on Wii Sports Club so thought I'd give it a go see if I could find a game with someone.

Tried both sports searching multiple times of 10-15 mins and not once did anyone appear. It's such a balls that your friends also have to be activily search for you to see each other. Even a simple invite system so you could say "hey I see you online, I'm waiting in Friend search, wanna join" with a possible reply option so they could let you know if they can or not.

Gonna try give it a few more goes before my 24hours are up, keep flipping between "yeah I'll buy" and "maybe I'll leave it"... Has anyone here bought either game in full yet?

When I'm playing it's fine, didn't expereince any bad lag on Tennis yet and I enjoy the bowling, even 3 or 4 player ones. The waiting doesn't bother me as much... though a voice chat and/or video conferening on the GamePad should have been looked at for Bowling (and Golf), that would have at least been a step forward.

The only thing holding me up on putting money down if the way the Online Friend stuff works. The way the random "Everyone" search works I don't mind, the only major problem I have is the lack of a Rematch option (how did they even forgot that?)... though a few other options like being able to search for just 2 player games in bowling would have been nice.

But the Friend part of online is just so unfriendly.

I seriously think we should all be all over Miiverse and Nintendo's Twitter constantly pointing this out. They obviously have the ability to patch and update the game.... who knows they might listen.... Miiverse has been used in past to send messages to devs hasn't it?

I think it's really sad, this forum was all excited and pretty much buying both games, and now everyone is having second thoughts. Nintendo screwed up THAT badly with this. I still find it quite unbelievable... I'll definitely buy Bowling as it's still very good. But tennis... I doubt it. Which is quite unbelievable really.I really wish a games site would interrogate Nintendo about it, the whole thing is awful and they need to know.

This does seem quite sad actually. :(

Even as a single player game if someone told me there was gonna be a new Wii Sports tennis I'd bite their hand off.

But with the reports coming back that it's not great to play, and the added online is less than reliable, it's making me have second thoughts about buying. :hmm:

I'm still gonna get the free 24 hour pass though so I can play through it tonight or tomorrow - but I've actually just realised whilst typing that I don't even know where my motion plus controller is... :woops: which could cause a slight problem... :laughing:

I'm not interested in the bowling, but I really really want the tennis. I just hope motion plus hasn't ruined it. Can it be played without motion plus and does it play the same as the Wii version does anyone know?

I'm not interested in the bowling, but I really really want the tennis. I just hope motion plus hasn't ruined it. Can it be played without motion plus and does it play the same as the Wii version does anyone know?

Motionplus is required.

I actually don't think Motionplus has ruined tennis. It just takes time to get used to it. After spending so many years used to playing Wii Sports I think mentally everyone turns this on and plays with that muscle memory in use which doesn't work.

I spent some time doing the mini games to get used to M+ controls and while there is still room for improvement (on my part) I was starting to have fun playing Tennis last night (and won a few more games :D)

My main gripe (I know I've said it already) is that for a game where the Online modes are the main aspect and the games selling point I cannot believe they went for the most basic of a barebones setup and didn't give us a more functional and user friendly system.

I could almost...almost...understand them forgetting an invite system (this being Nintendo they'd just say "we have Miiverse") but how could they forget a lobby system? Especially after they had lobbies in MK7 with the Communities.

Or at the very least when playing vs Randoms you should get a popup saying "[insert Name] is now online" or something.

It's like they've focused purely on the "Club" aspect...which granted is in the name.... but while the Club thing is a nice idea it is not what will draw people to want to play they game. People want to play with their friends and this games system is just not-Friend-Friendly :heh:

I'm making Miiverse posts, I suggest others do too, it is afterall not just a social network but also a platform for players to give Devs feedback...so lets give them feedback...and give them hell :heh:

it's a long shot but if enough people here make some noise maybe it'll get other people talking about it too and Nintendo will notice. Also on Twitter @Nintendo @NintendoAmerica @Nintendo_Europe

EDIT

Does Reggie have an official Twitter account? I want to tell him I can't breath due to lack of "air"

Edited by Mokong

How is it not recalibrating?

Are you maybe holding you're wiimote like I described I did on the original game, where this game seems to require you hold it slightly differently? (see pics on previous page)

Nope, it's nothing to do with how you hold the Remote. By not recalibrating I mean that even when the remote is placed on a table, it simply won't recalibrate.

The little Wii Remote icon on the calibration screen keeps turning and eventually it'll say "recalibration failed" or something like that. :blank:

Anyway, I made a complaint post on Miiverse, let's see what happens.

If they patch in some improvements to the matchmaking, especially for Friend games, then I may consider purchasing the pass for Tennis in the future. Otherwise, no way! :nono:

Are you sure it's not your remote?
Positive. Unless I've got 2 dodgy Wii Remote Plus and 2 dodgy Wii Motion Plus accessories too. Now that would be unlucky. :hehe:

I've had the same problem with every Motion Plus game. It works perfectly at first, but after a while the accuracy drops completely. You can see it visibly on screen too, in Skyward Sword, Link's sword would move on its own to the left or right. I'd recalibrate by pressing down on the d-pad which would make the sword point forward again, only for it to instantly start moving to the side... again! :indeed:

The exact same thing happens in Wii Sports Club. Tennis racquet pointing forward, 2 seconds later, moving to the side. Recalibrate with the D-Pad... same thing happens again.

And once that starts happening the only fix is batteries out and start again.

You can imagine how annoying Zelda was at times thanks to that. :shakehead

But in a way it's even worse in this, because it's not like I can just stop playing during an online match to take the batteries out of my Wii Remote! :laughing:

I'm still a bit surprised that Nintendo stuck with Motion Plus on Wii U, although I suppose with so many people having already bought it, they didn't want to change the setup again. But in a way I think it would've been better to just create a new and improved remote for the new console. There's no doubt that motion technology has moved on quite a bit since 2008/9, it would've been nice to see some improvements in stability with a new controller at least. ::shrug:

yeah that sounds like a wiimote issue ... have you tried with another game... like NintendoLand?

You sure you are not touching the Wiimote and it is on a steady flat surface :heh:

Anyway I'm currently using my last hour of my free trail. Played some Tennis, won a few lost a few, not really having issues with controls anymore and enjoying it. I think what might feel "off" to some is you don't realise twisting the wiimote twists the racket too... think of how you could turn the paddle in table tennis on resort. Beaware of that and any mistakes should just be down to user error rather than the player stuggling with controls.

Playing a game of Bowling now. Finished one, came 3rd out of 4 (a point off 2nd) ...currently on a 2nd 4player game and after 5 frames I got 5 strikes GET IN THERE (prolly jinxed it now) oh and no issues with waiting for players. Found all very fast today.

When I am playing I am having no problems and enjoy it. Playing with randoms is fine, can be forgiven but could be better.

It's mainly the issue with Friend matchmaking that is so shocking.

I'm thinking I'll prolly still buy them both later or over the weekend, pending if peeps here plan to use their free passes the weekend (if not used yet...or bought a game) and I can try some friend games.

I just hope the patch/update the online setup in the NEAR future....like in a few weeks :heh:

You must be very unlucky then. :p

I've never encountered that issue with Skyward Sword, Wii Sports Resort or NintendoLand.

Skyward Sword was pretty bad for losing calibration if you went into the menu without pointing the remote at the screen but never to the point where it wondered off on its own and required pulling the batteries.

I had hoped they would solve the calibration thing after Resort but doesn't seem they were able to. :(