NEurope
Dcubed

Wii Sports Club

New videos are out and we needed an actual thread for this game!

Jpn advert...

Introductory video (NEW TRAINING ACTIVITIES! :bouncy: )

Huzzah! They've added more training stages and minigame modes to each sport! :D (That Tennis ring exercise sure looks familiar... ;) )

Still no sign of the other 3 sports yet, but here's hoping that they utilise the Gamepad as originally promised in that old concept video!

Edited by Dcubed

Awesome! :cool:

Can't wait for this. :bouncy:

when are we getting the first two in Europe... launch night online bowling and tennis anybody?

when are we getting the first two in Europe... launch night online bowling and tennis anybody?

7th of November. Looking forward to battering the lot of you at Tennis :)

Cant wait, but still gutted it looks like you can only play doubles. Such as Stupid stupid decision. I bet we can't decide how many games ands sets we play either. New training modes look great and I'll love it. But the limited package and incredibly expensive price is really souring the game.

I am looking foward to some good competition, We need a launch weekend knockout cup :) ? and eventually a league

Surely releasing this with all five games in one pack at Christmas must be on the cards?

I'm torn... I so want to buy Tennis and Bowling on day one, but as said above I'm sure they'll be a package deal at some point in the future... :(

had a bit of multiplayer wii sports resort bowling in the office this afternoon, really got me hyped for online.

for all our bitching and moaning there are a fucking lot of games out between now and christmas

Wii Sports Club - Upcoming sports details

This comes from the Iwata Asks interview...

Golf

The ball is displayed on the Wii U GamePad screen by your feet, and the fairway is on the TV screen ahead of you. You can play just like you would play as if it was real golf. This time, if you face the Wii Remote Plus toward the Wii U GamePad by your feet, the head of the club appears on the screen. And if you twist the Wii Remote Plus controller, the club head turns, too. Then, if you hit in that position, you can hit a fade and so forth. Golf will be ready for people to hit the green with it soon.

Baseball

As for Baseball, the basic control is swinging the Wii Remote Plus like a bat. The pitcher uses the Wii U GamePad. You look into the Wii U GamePad and choose a course and type of pitch and throw. You can enjoy trying to outfox the batter.

Boxing

For Boxing, they are considering a lot with regard to network compatibility and so on. Have to wait a little longer for that.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215671

Wii Sports Club - Why the release structure was chosen

''To be honest, it started from the point when we thought that since it will take some time to make all five sports and release them at once, what if we were to release them in the order they're ready. If we were to release them in a package, it would be quite some way down the road before all of them were ready. I do think, however, that there are a lot of benefits to this approach. And this is an online game. If we were to release all five games at once, the customers would divide up into the different games. But if we put them out like an irregular periodical, people can thoroughly enjoy each individual sport.'' - Nintendo's Shimamura

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215672

Wii Sports Club - When new sports release, there will be new trial periods

Shimamura: Right. We've decided to run a special campaign when Golf comes out. When a new sport comes in, you'll be able to play past games as well, as much as you want, for 24 hours.

Iwata: So every time there's a new release, there's a free 24 hour trial period. So you don't miss out if you start early. As a matter of fact, it's a better deal if you actually start sooner.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215673

Wii Sports Club - Game developed by Namco Bandai Studios, Nintendo chipped in

Makino: I'm Makino from the Software Planning & Development Department. We asked Namco Bandai Studios to develop it, so I first participated as a coordinator. But in the end, I got into just about anything. I mainly worked on the network aspect of the game, but at times I made suggestions on how some features should turn out to be.

Suzuki: I'm Suzuki in the Software Planning & Development Department. At first, I was a coordinator too, serving as contact for Namco Bandai Studio and dealing with overseas subsidiaries in localizing the overseas versions, but eventually, like Makino-san, I was doing anything I could.

Shimamura: From the middle of development, Makino-san and Suzuki-san were also working as full-fledged planners. We did ask Namco Bandai Studio to develop the game this time, but staff in Nintendo's Network Development & Operations Department--the Software Planning & Development Department that these two are in--and EAD also chipped in.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215674

Wii Sports Club - The difficulties of making Tennis online possible

Iwata: What difficulties were involved in making Tennis online?

Makino: In a typical online game, the information of the button presses are sent to your opponent, and the inputs are synchronized between the players. But for this game you have to send complex information from the gyro sensor and accelerometer of the Wii Remote Plus controllers, in addition to information from the buttons, which was a brand new challenge.

Iwata: And in Tennis, there may be four people on the court at once.

Makino: Yes. At first, we were uneasy about whether we could really do it, but we tossed around all kinds of ideas with Namco Bandai Studio.

Shimamura: We then decided to test some of the ideas, and the one we eventually adopted was an idea suggested by a communications programmer at Namco Bandai Studio. Thanks to that, we were able to pull it off.

http://gonintendo.com/?mode=viewstory&id=215675

Iwata Asks: Wii Sports Club available in English

Wii Sports Club - Iwata Asks footage

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=cdgTuaAuca4

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=7jz_ihfm4bg

Edited by Wii

Crazy to think that the Iwata Asks was the first chance that Iwata had to actually see and try out the game! Poor guy must be overworked to hell trying to act as CEO at NCL AND president of NOA :(

That video was cute as hell though :) You can tell that they're actually the ones playing it too (what with how the pointer moves and how they make the Miis look stupid by waggling around - heh, that's exactly what I do in Wii Sports when I'm playing :laughing: )

Golf

The ball is displayed on the Wii U GamePad screen by your feet, and the fairway is on the TV screen ahead of you. You can play just like you would play as if it was real golf. This time, if you face the Wii Remote Plus toward the Wii U GamePad by your feet, the head of the club appears on the screen. And if you twist the Wii Remote Plus controller, the club head turns, too. Then, if you hit in that position, you can hit a fade and so forth. Golf will be ready for people to hit the green with it soon.

Baseball

As for Baseball, the basic control is swinging the Wii Remote Plus like a bat. The pitcher uses the Wii U GamePad. You look into the Wii U GamePad and choose a course and type of pitch and throw. You can enjoy trying to outfox the batter.

d56BA.gif

Great to see that they haven't let me down here! Can't wait! :D

Edited by Dcubed

Golf

Wow, I hoped they would do that for the ball, but the bit about the clubs head appearing as you swing and hit the ball makes it even better. I assuming this could make it a bit harder to hit a ball straight and curving the ball....man I hope they have Golf out in time for Xmas, when I family round Golf is the most played Wii Sport so I NEED this for Xmas! :D

Wow, I hoped they would do that for the ball, but the bit about the clubs head appearing as you swing and hit the ball makes it even better. I assuming this could make it a bit harder to hit a ball straight and curving the ball....man I hope they have Golf out in time for Xmas, when I family round Golf is the most played Wii Sport so I NEED this for Xmas! :D

Well from the way that Iwata and Shimamura worded it...

Iwata So Wii Sports Club comes in automatically through SpotPass. And at first there are two sports. What about after that?

Shimamura Even without you doing anything, one day Golf will suddenly be there.

Iwata So the first 24 hours, you can play Tennis and Bowling for free, and later, even people who were playing other games will suddenly get Golf.

... it sounds like Golf is next in line for release. Considering that the Motionplus controls for Golf are already done (thanks to Wii Sports Resort), I reckon that there's a good chance that Golf will be out in time for Xmas :)

Boxing sounds like it still has a good while to go though...

Iwata How about Boxing?

Shimamura For Boxing, we're considering a lot with regard to network compatibility and so on. I think you'll have to wait a little longer for that.

... Seems that getting the online to work for Boxing is proving to be difficult, so that'll no doubt be the last to release of the 3 upcoming games...

Iwata: So Wii Sports Club comes in automatically through SpotPass. And at first there are two sports. What about after that?

Hold up that line is interesting..... is he saying that when the software becomes available if you left your Wii U on overnight in standby it would automactically download the initial download for you so when you turn it on next Wii Sport Club will have just appeared on your menu?

If so that is a great idea and definately something they should be doing if they (for whatever reason) can't pre-install the software on new Wii U's... so once a new owner gets past the updating, they'll start playing whatever it is they have to play. When they decide to take a break, turn off the system and return later they could have a message saying "Wii Sports Club installed, try free trail now"

Hold up that line is interesting..... is he saying that when the software becomes available if you left your Wii U on overnight in standby it would automactically download the initial download for you so when you turn it on next Wii Sport Club will have just appeared on your menu?

Yep. The 3DS can do it*. The only software they did it with was that sports video one over here from what I remember. I had one recently on my Japanese Unit though.

It's a good move by Nintendo, now people will know about if they want to or not. ;)

* Actually all it does is download an icon, you still had to manually actually initiate the download. But it's a good way to increase awareness.

EDIT

Just looking through the Iwata Asks.... it is true

Shimamura

Yes. Usually when you download software, you go to the Nintendo eShop14, pay, and then download. 14. Nintendo eShop: A shopping site that can be enjoyed many ways on a Nintendo 3DS or Wii U system-from downloading games over the internet to viewing introduction videos.

Iwata

Right.

Shimamura

That's incredibly easy, but there are a certain number of people who find that to be a pain. So this time, in order to reduce that hassle, if your Wii U is connected to the internet and you have at least 1.3 gigabytes of free space15, Wii Sports Club comes in to your Wii U automatically through SpotPass. 15. Free space: To determine how much free space is left on a Wii U console using the Wii U GamePad, open System Settings in the Wii U Menu, select Data Management, and then press Copy/Move/Delete Data.

Iwata

I believe those who updated their Wii U console the other day received a message upon opening their system again asking if they would like to automatically receive content via SpotPass. If you answered "OK" and have 1.3 gigabytes or more of free space, Wii Sports Club will be delivered automatically.

Shimamura

That's right. One day, you suddenly have the Wii Sports Club icon, but if you couldn't play right away without paying first, that would be a hassle too, so from the moment you start the game, you can play for the first 24 hours for free.

Brilliant idea, they should do that with all Freeware!

Still looks like doubles only for tennis which is mental. This game is going to be frighteningly bare bones isn't it :( Incredible fun. But very expensive, and very limited...

I don't understand the fuss about seeing the ball on the screen on the floor. Is there a reason or a visual flourish?

Still looks like doubles only for tennis which is mental. This game is going to be frighteningly bare bones isn't it :( Incredible fun. But very expensive, and very limited...

There's more content than the original... (more training exercises and minigames, more ranking options etc)

I don't understand the fuss about seeing the ball on the screen on the floor. Is there a reason or a visual flourish?

You can seemingly swing and miss the ball! :D (you have to actually physically aim for the ball; where and how you hit it also affects your shot, keeping track of the actual position of the club and its distance from the ball thanks to the Gamepad's built-in sensor bar :) )

Edited by Dcubed

There's more content than the original... (more training exercises and minigames, more ranking options etc)

You can seemingly swing and miss the ball! :D (you have to actually physically aim for the ball; where and how you hit it also affects your shot, keeping track of the actual position of the club and its distance from the ball thanks to the Gamepad's built-in sensor bar :) )

1. Yeah but that's not exactly huge, a few mini games is good, but not what I'm sure we'd all prefer (play singles, decide how many games sets we have etc etc) and also rankings and stuff, again, it's going to be very good, but surely we'd prefer to create our own clubs and not have to join London, Lincoln etc. I move around all the time and don't feel connected to any place.

I don't mean to moan. I'm actually really excited for it. But the high price and the slim additions is proving a sore point for me

2. Fiar enough I suppose, let's see how it plays out (do you NEED to use it?); but either way, like above, I'm more interested to know how many courses they have in the game.

In general I'd also like to know how online works; can we have 4 different people playing online, or is is two people per wii u console? And just how easy it is to join games with friends etc.

The way the GamePad is utilised in golf is shaping up to be one the best uses of the device so far. icon14.gif

I remember that being one of the most impressive things in the Wii U reveal trailer too, it's just a shame that it's taking them so long to get this idea out there.

And the question now is can/will they create many other experiences that feature genuinely useful unique viewpoints such as that. :awesome: Let's hope so.

I really think that the off-TV feature has actually been a hurdle for Nintendo in terms of using the GamePad in creative ways like this. I'd much prefer they focus on producing games that take full advantage of the additional screen, rather than omitting interesting gameplay concepts just so something can also be played exclusively on the GamePad. :hmm:

I really think that the off-TV feature has actually been a hurdle for Nintendo in terms of using the GamePad in creative ways like this. I'd much prefer they focus on producing games that take full advantage of the additional screen, rather than omitting interesting gameplay concepts just so something can also be played exclusively on the GamePad. :hmm:

I'm the complete opposite. :D I would rather play a game on the Gamepad, while having the footy on in the background than have some motion/waggle/gimmicky control feature.

I'm the complete opposite. :D I would rather play a game on the Gamepad, while having the footy on in the background than have some motion/waggle/gimmicky control feature.
Fair play, but you can do that anyway with 3DS/Vita. :hehe:

Also, I don't really think this particular use of the GamePad (in golf) is gimmicky, it's surely going to create one of the best video game representations of the sport ever! I mean, being able to just look down and see the lie of the ball, more importantly having to target the ball accurately to actually hit it, or alter your shot type depending on how you hit it... that's pretty damn significant I reckon.

Nothing against the old-school, press a button to swing gameplay style of golf games (Hell, I bought Everybody's Golf for PS3 just yesterday ;)) but anything that can make the experience more interesting or bring a new style of play into the mix can only be a good thing.

Fair play, but you can do that anyway with 3DS/Vita. :hehe:

Indeed but being to play full console games on a handheld is awesome.

It's Nintendo's fault. They gave me something I never thought I would bother with ( I don't have to fight for the TV ) yet i'm constantly drawn to off TV play. Add to the fact that I can now play Wii games as well using the feature and i'm a very happy chappy. :)

It's really great to see Nintendo stick to their guns and continue to push gameplay boundaries, despite the pressure on them to just conform and stop using the Gamepad for anything other than Off TV Play (not that Off TV Play isn't great, but I'm much more excited for new gameplay experiences that couldn't have been made before on any other hardware)

That concept video is what got me excited for the console in the first place! I was so disappointed that the E3 Direct didn't show any games that really utilise the Gamepad in any significant way (especially Mario 3D World, seeing as how Mario games are usually built around showcasing what the new hardware can offer in terms of gameplay - and Mario Bros U was pretty disappointing in that regard...), so seeing the original Wii U Sports concepts for Golf and Baseball actually come to fruition is really comforting :)

Now I just gotta hope that they're working on more games like this that really push what the Gamepad can do... (That Steel Diver sequel has a lot of potential as a two screen experience - one view below water and one above...)

Edited by Dcubed