NEurope
Dcubed

Shovel Knight

I'd still prefer they just worked on Shovel Knight 2.

Yes, Ronnie, we all know. We've had this conversation before. At least twice. We get it.

Looking really good!

Also, Yacht Club Games have commented:

“Whoah! Did you get everything!? You’ll not only play through Specter Knight’s own story, but also see new areas, new music, new enemies, new objects, new boss fights, new weapons, new armors, and way, way more than ever before. Even the villainous boss knights have prepared new tricks and tactics!

Does that sound like a new game?! Well, that’s because we’re building Specter of Torment from the ground up so that it can be a completely unique standalone experience.

While Plague of Shadows followed an alternate parallel campaign, Specter Knight travels a new path in this amazing prequel. It’s your mission as Specter Knight to recruit the Order of No Quarter for The Enchantress! Specter Knight’s campaign truly is his own adventure, and we can’t wait for everyone to get their hands on it this Spring.”

So basically a new game, it seems.

Sounds exciting! Can't wait to see what nonsense Specter can pull off after seeing the ridiculous manoeuvres Plague Knight could do!

Would you guys recommend buying this on a 3DS or on WiiU?

It's not a clear cut choice. Both have advantages over the other.

They both run exactly the same, both look great thanks to the art style. Both have cool amiibo support.

The 3DS version has obvious portability, the streetpass feature is certainly unique and the 3D is really potent. Item switching via the touch screen keeps you from having to pause the game as well.

The WiiU version has a cool co-op mode (Amiibo only though), an upcoming local 4-player Battle mode, and obvious bigger screens.

If you're not bothered by the local multiplayer features and would just end up playing the game through off-TV play, you'd probably be better off getting the 3DS version.

At this rate I'm looking forward to playing Shovel Knight 2 in 2021.

Oh, stop exaggerating. Yacht Club have said that they've been doing the last two campaigns together, so it won't be as long a wait as in between Shovel Knight and Plague Knight.

Just enjoy what's coming, this one seems to be even more different to Shovel Knight then Plague of Shadows.

Oh, stop exaggerating. Yacht Club have said that they've been doing the last two campaigns together, so it won't be as long a wait as in between Shovel Knight and Plague Knight.

Just enjoy what's coming, this one seems to be even more different to Shovel Knight then Plague of Shadows.

How am I exaggerating? Shovel Knight released two and a half years ago and by the time they finally get to work on sequel it won't be that much sooner than 2021 at this rate.

Just please tell me there are no more add on campaigns and this is the last one planned? Surely that's it??

That's the trouble with certain stretch goals, they add on busy work for devs that could be better spent elsewhere.

Looks awesome. Think I'll download this again on my Vita. Always wanted to get the Platinum and I'm in the mood for some 2D platforming perfection.

Wish this was on sale for PlayStation devices. Would love to get this for my girlfriend.

Just please tell me there are no more add on campaigns and this is the last one planned? Surely that's it??

There's one more for King Knight, then that's it.

!!!! sigh, the wait continues....

Yes because this is the first video game sequel you've ever had to wait for. :hmm:

Yes because this is the first video game sequel you've ever had to wait for. :hmm:

It's two and a half years since the original, by the time they finally finish with these stretch goals it'll be.. what, 3 and a half, 4 years? Then add another couple on top of that at least for the sequel.

I just think their time is better spent making a sequel to one of the most popular games this decade rather than these add on campaigns. Hopefully work's already begun on it but I can't imagine they're a big enough dev team to be able to have multiple projects going at once.

I do think that they've kind of set themselves up for trouble with all of these extra DLC updates...

These came out because they promised them with the initial Kickstarter (which they felt they needed to do in order to ensure that they had enough funding to make the game and get themselves off the ground - which, worryingly, actually wasn't enough - they ran out of money 3 months before the game finished development and had to survive off of personal funds and ramen until they could release it) and it's great that they've kept their promises, but it does set a dangerous precedent for themselves.

Yeah, Shovel Knight turned out to be a huge success, but that doesn't mean that their next game will be. With these DLC updates, they have kind of been overly generous, meaning that people might end up expecting similar treatment with their next game, even if YCG can't afford to do that...

I hope for their sake that they don't get stuck in a similar situation again. It's great that they can and are doing this with SK, but they might end up really struggling to survive if they do it again next time...

Would you guys recommend buying this on a 3DS or on WiiU?

I'd recommend looking at the screenshots on eShop and seeing if you like the way they fit the screen. I was all set to get it on 3DS, but in the end preferred the way it looked on the Wii U's GamePad.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove coming first to the Switch in April, with other platforms later in the year.

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove coming first to the Switch in April, with other platforms later in the year.

But isn't this the new name for all of shovel knight? Bit confused. Wonder if they'll do an upgrade for Wii U owners :)

I'd be well tempted to double dip, but not sure I can justify it.

But isn't this the new name for all of shovel knight? Bit confused. Wonder if they'll do an upgrade for Wii U owners :)

I'd be well tempted to double dip, but not sure I can justify it.

Yeah sorry I should have clarified, it's Shovel Knight + Plague of Shadows + Specter of Torment (which is brand new, first release on Switch) plus lots of extra features and co-op mode etc. The King Knight expansion will add on top of that.

Is treasure trove coming to switch in April, or just the new campaign? I thought treasure trove, but on their site they mention treasure trove coming to switch first.

It looks like Treasure Trove is coming to Switch first, but the new campaign itself is releasing everwhere at the same time. I could be wrong though.

Excellent news. I didn't bother when released for the Wii U so will pick it up for the Switch.

Debating getting this on Switch but I've just realised that there's no d-pad on the joycon :( Might have to buy a Pro Controller...

Excellent news. I didn't bother when released for the Wii U so will pick it up for the Switch.

Lucky git! I did get it on wii u but haven't played Plague of shadows yet; I'll definitely get it for Switch and play the new stuff on there. The game is incredible!

Debating getting this on Switch but I've just realised that there's no d-pad on the joycon :( Might have to buy a Pro Controller...

Yeah, I was excited about playing it portably... I'm sure the stick won't be too bad for it I'm sure. They need to release a Dpad joy con though!

Edited by dazzybee
Automerged Doublepost

Yeah I'd be amazed if Nintendo don't release a D-pad joy con at some point. Probably didn't want them at launch so as not to confuse the messaging.