N-Europe

recommend any manga/japanese films?

spirited away

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evangelion and RahXephon are brilliant shows. I'd watch them in that order, though... because watching Rah and then Eva will only taint your view of Evangelion. Eva is far more dated and inferior to RahXephon to date. Both follow similar stories and are a real treat to watch.

Trigun, also. I dunno if anyone mentioned Trigun here. If you're interested in the concept of DEEP SPACE FUTURE GUNSLINGING ACTION, then check Google Video where they have the entire first episode uploaded to view. Gives a real nice impression of the show for potential adopters.

Want a good manga? Love Hina is a great manga. The anime is trash, but the manga is a comprehensive and amusing love story that engrosses you on another level. Evangelion also has a really great manga which is best viewed after the series, giving that it presents a shifted take on events and characters resulting in a sometimes more entertaining experience.

Naruto's manga is available online, and worthwhile if you're into overpowered kids kicking the crap out of each other. Speaking realistically, most fighting stories like DragonBall and Naruto are far better animated, so maybe head on over to your friendly neighbourhood torrent warehouse and get your Jordan on.

It would depend mostly on what kind of stories you're partial to. Anime is home to some great stories spanning several popular genres. There's even Tennis anime, for Christ's sake. You want it, chances are you got it. But there's more trash than cash out there from my experience.

Summing this all up.

Evangelion and Trigun, then check out RahXephon. You'll love it good.

ok ill keep that in mind thanks - is princess mononoke £42 because its hard to get , spirited away is only £8.00 , seems a great leap...

Mononoke, as in just the one disc plain film version? Cause I bought that from work (when I was at Woolies) months ago for £7.99

Mononoke? its getting rereleased as part of Optimum Asia's rereleasing of the whol Ghibli back catalogue- i did buy it but i returned it to HMV before i watched it cos i wanted to wait for the rerelease-got GITS:SAC vol 3 instead for 7.99!!!! bargain!!!!

Mononoke? its getting rereleased as part of Optimum Asia's rereleasing of the whol Ghibli back catalogue- i did buy it but i returned it to HMV before i watched it cos i wanted to wait for the rerelease-got GITS:SAC vol 3 instead for 7.99!!!! bargain!!!!

Get the whole season boxset for £30 on Amazon. Bargainer.

The only manga series ive collected for my book collection has been Appleseed. utter classic. the basic premise is that post WWIII (non nuclear) the old world powers collapse and are replaced by a huge number of smaller states. amongst all the chaos a new super power rises up called AGEIS. They effectivly become the government of the entire world and opperate out of a utopian super city called Olympus. The story follows two new immigrants into Olympus- two ex soldiers, one of which is a cyborg, as they adapt to life there and join the special forces team in charge of keeping thje peace at home and abroad. Its a brilliant story which deals with politics, great characters, the nature of what it means to be human, the idea of utopia and above all GIANT ROBOTIC SUITS OF ARMOUR THAT FLY AND BLOW SHIT UP.

[/fanboy]

Everyone seems to like that but be- after reading the first volume, I thought it was crap.

My favourite manga has to be Video girl ai, even though nobody has ever heard of it.

I think I'm just a sap for comedy love stories like Love Hina. The characters really start growing on you, and from then on you're hooked.

Guest Stefkov

i actually found this place which im using for my IT coursework actually, it sells loads of anime. 28 pages of them in all. i also learnt that howls moving castle is coming out 13th march from there and have actually asked it for my birthday or soemthing

http://www.anime-on-line.com/xcart/home.php?cat=7&mode=search&page=1

that takes you straight to page 1 of the list.

I just ordered Happiness of the Katakuris (a Japanese zombie musical), and The Calamari Wrestler (a film about a reincarnated squid who becomes a wrestler) off Amazon. I saw them on Johnathon Ross's Asain Invasion thing, they looked brilliant. Is anyone going to watch Gohatto on BBC4 tonight?

Wild Zero is probably one of the worst Japanese films ive ever seen. Its not even 'so bad that its good' type of bad.

If you are a fan of Ghibli then see this boxset:

http://global.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/pid-1003739698/section-anime/code-c/version-all/

£145 for 11 double disc films in a lovely box (these also are suppose to have the best transfers for each film)

goddammit :P I've got Wild Zero and wanted to be cool and mention it first in here.

It has aliens, zombies, rock and roll and transvestites. It's not a great film but i genuinely think that people who think it's utter cack just don't get it. I like it. Felt like a George A. Romero movie with some guy ritchie/tarantino influence too - closer to ritchie in terms of quality for sure, but the movie isn't all bad. A great film to get smashed on cider with a few mates, it really is.

I got it in a box-set of two jap zombie films, the other one is atrocious, only good for a few boobies. Can't remember the name of it.