Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

It really doesn't, even when in its stand. Due to its width and height, it just takes up room. I've got it on my coffee table as there's nowhere else to put it.

Whilst the WiiU console is small and does a good job of staying inconspicuous, the GamePad is anything but. It stands out like a sore thumb. It's very un-Nintendo-like in its creation because they usually go for small and "convenient" products. The DSlite is small, as is the 3DS. So too is the Wiimote, nunchuks, SNES controller, GC controller, etc. The GamePad on the other hand just looks fucking huge in comparison. I wonder, from a non-gamer perspective, how many people are instantly put off it by the sheer size and volume of it. The Wiimote was very non-threatening, it was small and sleek. They've managed to do the complete opposite of that with the GamePad.

While I've no problem with its size, I do take your point. My nephew doesn't like using the gamepad. He will always use the pro controller or remote where possible. I could imagine the same for other kids. He's 10 but younger kids would have greater difficulty or it mightn't be safe to let them use it (droppy, smashhy).

I'm slightly confused about this Gamescon thing. Just to clarify, are Nintendo there or not? I haven't heard anything other than the stuff Sony and MS have done. Nintendo don't go to the event, right?

(Before I get shot down, I should mention that like most adults, I have a job, so I don't keep up with all of the latest news. I basically rely on what I see in the gaming news).

I'm slightly confused about this Gamescon thing. Just to clarify, are Nintendo there or not? I haven't heard anything other than the stuff Sony and MS have done. Nintendo don't go to the event, right?

(Before I get shot down, I should mention that like most adults, I have a job, so I don't keep up with all of the latest news. I basically rely on what I see in the gaming news).

Yeah, they are there on the show floor with the usual demos and stuff.

I said this yesterday at around 2PM in this very thread. Just saying this so I don't get peeps jumping down my throat saying I told you so. This wasn't directed at you Goron_3. :)

Edited by Hero-of-Time

What's battle tower?

You probably don't want to know.

I could be wrong but it might be that. Maybe it has had a name change or just for Europe.

I firmly believe it's not the place of a platform holder to reveal and go on about third party games as specifically as they have been in recent years. It's the third partys job.

It's exactly an attitude like that that is partially responsible for Nintendos poor 3rd party relations.

It's exactly an attitude like that that is partially responsible for Nintendos poor 3rd party relations.

This, this, and more of this. It's so true! It's Nintendo's arrogant and backwards attitude that is to blame.

I pray for a day Nintendo go 2nd Party!

Nintendo are great game developers, they just need concentrate on that.

Edited by Kav

Yeah, they are there on the show floor with the usual demos and stuff.

I said this yesterday at around 2PM in this very thread. Just saying this so I don't get peeps jumping down my throat saying I told you so. This wasn't directed at you Goron_3. :)

Oh! I didn't realise :) Another example of Sony and MS doing a better job of promoting themselves I guess.

So the latest N-Europe whinge about the Wii U is that the Gamepad is too big and it looks too ugly on coffee tables. Looking forward to seeing what Page 285 holds.... the speaker isn't loud enough, the console attracts too many fingerprints or maybe another round of whinging about no voice chat in MK8.

So the latest N-Europe whinge about the Wii U is that the Gamepad is too big and it looks too ugly on coffee tables. Looking forward to seeing what Page 285 holds.... the speaker isn't loud enough, the console attracts too many fingerprints or maybe another round of whinging about no voice chat in MK8.

Nah that was a few pages ago...

Latest one is that there the release list looks bare. It's not on really. For people who can only afford one console and chose the Wii U they have been shafted.

I agree with @kav82. Nintendo in my opinion just need to concentrate on creating great software. I just don't think that there is enough room for three consoles. I'm hearing great things from people with next gen consoles and what they can do that only results in me being disappointed with the Wii U itself.

If you dont like it then just bugger off to Nintendo specific site.......oh never mind.

I'd read them a thousand times over this.

Nah that was a few pages ago...

Latest one is that there the release list looks bare. It's not on really. For people who can only afford one console and chose the Wii U they have been shafted.

I agree with @kav82. Nintendo in my opinion just need to concentrate on creating great software. I just don't think that there is enough room for three consoles. I'm hearing great things from people with next gen consoles and what they can do that only results in me being disappointed with the Wii U itself.

Thing is, the reason Nintendo's software is great is partly because of the fact they build it around their console and build the console around their games. There's a symbiosis involved and that would be lost if they went to develop for another console. Plus a multitude of financial factors which would result in downsizing and huge layoffs which would affect quality, too.

Third party situation is a bad one that does need to be resolved, but first party wise, Nintendo aren't suddenly doing diminished amounts of games and certainly not diminished quantity.

I do agree that there may not be room for a third console, but I don't think Nintendo should be the one to bow out, nor do I believe they will be. Microsoft and Sony have such similar boxes that are different only in OS and superficial spec numbers, and there's so much crossover in content that it is utterly ridiculous. If there are to be multiple platforms on the market, then there should be differences between them. If there was a third, near-identical x86 based console, with similar specs, it would be a bad thing in my view.

My money is on Microsoft exiting.

Agreed.

If things continue the way they are going with the One I can see it happening. The idea they had for it being an entertainment box hasn't really worked out for them. There was also those rumours a while back about shareholders/investors wanting them to get out of the console race and concentrate on other things.

Personally I wouldn't want any of them to drop out but MS does seem the most likely.

You could almost be forgiven for thinking Nintendo don't have a console out at this point in time, their lack of presence is that bad. Reggie should have been at Gamescom. It's no wonder he and Geoff Keighley have such banter when they meet up... it's like an annual reunion!

You could almost be forgiven for thinking Nintendo don't have a console out at this point in time, their lack of presence is that bad. Reggie should have been at Gamescom. It's no wonder he and Geoff Keighley have such banter when they meet up... it's like an annual reunion!

I'm still hoping a Direct will hit soon(ish) to get some good banter on here at least. Hopefully it will be a general one rather than a game focused one.

It's a shame but Konami have debunked the rumour of a PES title on Wii U.

[TWEET]499179145621147649[/TWEET]

While on the subject of bad news, The Crew is now coming to XBOX360 as well but guess who's still not getting it?

Why? Reggie presides over Nintendo of America. Gamescom is a European event, ergo it falls to Nintendo of Europe.

I'm still hoping a Direct will hit soon(ish) to get some good banter on here at least. Hopefully it will be a general one rather than a game focused one.

We are due a wide Direct and there has been one each August since the inception, so I'd say it's likely :) Was start of August last year but end of it the year before. My money is on this week.

They could get around Iwata's recovery by just animating him in a way that befits one of the games being covered and having him voice record. They've done it before.

Ubisoft on why The Crew isn’t coming to Wii U

The Crew was originally a current-gen game. However, that changed today after Ubisoft announced that its open-world racer is now also coming to the Xbox 360.

Both the Wii U and PlayStation 3 are being left behind. When asked to explain why The Crew isn’t coming to these consoles as well, a Ubisoft representative told VideoGamer:

“The Crew is originally built for the new generation of consoles so when we made the decision to port it to the previous generation of consoles, we decided to focus solely on the platform closest to the new-gen’s technical infrastructure, which is the Xbox 360. We are not currently working on a PS3 or Wii U version, we are rather focused on delivering The Crew for Xbox One, PS4, PC and Xbox360 simultaneously on November 11th.”

http://nintendoeverything.com/ubisoft-on-why-the-crew-isnt-coming-to-wii-u/

This is the biggest slap in the face of Wii U yet regarding its technical capabilities or lack thereof.

Edited by Wii

Thing is, the reason Nintendo's software is great is partly because of the fact they build it around their console and build the console around their games. There's a symbiosis involved and that would be lost if they went to develop for another console.

For the vast majority of games that's not the case, or at least if it wasn't the case for most games people simply wouldn't care. For instance, Pikmin was great before and after the gamepad. That hardware addition was totally unnecessary.

Software should always shine through, great software will be great regardless of what system you play it on.

I do agree that there may not be room for a third console, but I don't think Nintendo should be the one to bow out, nor do I believe they will be. Microsoft and Sony have such similar boxes that are different only in OS and superficial spec numbers, and there's so much crossover in content that it is utterly ridiculous. If there are to be multiple platforms on the market, then there should be differences between them. If there was a third, near-identical x86 based console, with similar specs, it would be a bad thing in my view.

Microsoft and Sony complement each other such that neither side wants to be outdone or drop the ball. Sony upped their online infrastructure to match Microsoft's, while MS copied Sony's Plus game giveaway, sort of.

Having competition is not a sign that one should exit but actually a healthy sign. If there's competition, it's because multiple companies recognise the merit in doing that particular thing. Nobody is trying to make a console and online infrastructure like Nintendo's, for instance, and I think we all know why.

http://nintendoeverything.com/ubisoft-on-why-the-crew-isnt-coming-to-wii-u/

This is the biggest slap in the face of Wii U yet regarding its technical capabilities or lack thereof.

Does make sense though with the 360 being the most like the more "PC hardware" that the new consoles went with. I would assume that would make it quicker to port.

Do note that the PS3 isn't getting it either, so logically it's not just the Wii U getting a "slap in the face".

It is, many more people have moved over from PS3 to PS4 than have left the 360 for the next gen of consoles.

However, neither the Wii or Wii U is getting it.

Do note that the PS3 isn't getting it either, so logically it's not just the Wii U getting a "slap in the face".

God you will defend the indefensible to the death. The Wii U came out 6 years after the other two and is now supposedly inferior to the XBOX360. How shoddy is that? I don't care if it's not coming out for PS3. I care that it's not on the Wii U.

Edited by Wii