Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

A bit of interesting information: I popped into ASDA earlier today and they've gone from selling no WiiU games to selling...two. Mario Kart and Just Dance. They were hidden amongst the other Wii games. One was at the top and the other was on the shelf below it, with Wii games interspersed. A bit of a strange one, as they haven't had any WiiU games in our ASDA for ages, as far as I know.

Progressssss.

Funny you mention, I popped into my old ASDA just yesterday and decided to see what the state of their games section was - I noted the Wii section is now Wii + Wii U and noticed MK8 and Just Dance myself! I wasn't looking too hard though and I'd have imagined there might have been other titles there too, I'm under the impression they had Wii U stuff before too. The most brow-raising thing about it though - MK was listed at £43. Who is really buying/paying that in this day and age?

Funny you mention, I popped into my old ASDA just yesterday and decided to see what the state of their games section was - I noted the Wii section is now Wii + Wii U and noticed MK8 and Just Dance myself! I wasn't looking too hard though and I'd have imagined there might have been other titles there too, I'm under the impression they had Wii U stuff before too. The most brow-raising thing about it though - MK was listed at £43. Who is really buying/paying that in this day and age?

That's a nice step up from them not stocking it. Mario Kart 8 does have some power :)

A bit of interesting information: I popped into ASDA earlier today and they've gone from selling no WiiU games to selling...two. Mario Kart and Just Dance. They were hidden amongst the other Wii games. One was at the top and the other was on the shelf below it, with Wii games interspersed. A bit of a strange one, as they haven't had any WiiU games in our ASDA for ages, as far as I know.

Progressssss.

Was it the Castle Point one or the one by the station?

Castle Point didn't even have a Wii section last time I was there.

That's a nice step up from them not stocking it. Mario Kart 8 does have some power :)

Was it the Castle Point one or the one by the station?

Castle Point didn't even have a Wii section last time I was there.

It's the one by the station. It might have been that way for some time, but I never go into the ASDA there any more as we live in Westbourne. (Sainsburys, brah)

I got my WiiU from there, although they had to order it in for me to come and collect. After that, they swiftly removed all WiiU stock (what little they had) if I remember right.

It's the one by the station. It might have been that way for some time, but I never go into the ASDA there any more as we live in Westbourne. (Sainsburys, brah)

I got my WiiU from there, although they had to order it in for me to come and collect. After that, they swiftly removed all WiiU stock (what little they had) if I remember right.

Ah. Well still, them having things in now is a good sign.

That said, I noticed the HMV in town had absolutely no Nintendo stuff, not even 3DS, last week. Wonder what that's all about.

Brick & mortar stores really need to drop the price of games. They're selling at RRP which people seldom pay. Even at GAME there were old games going for the RRP.

Got an email from Nintendo. It's going to be £53.50 to fix my Wii U.

I don't get paid while Friday and can't afford to pay until then so will call them tomorrow asking them to hold onto it.(I suspect they will just send it back to me if I did nothing).

I should then get it back sometime next week. They said in the email to me that they have just "diagnosed" the issue and then will proceed to fix it upon payment. Hopefully I will get it back with all my saves and downloads intact!

Edited by Blade

WII U SYSTEM UPDATE AVAILABLE

As expected, Wii U firmware version 5.1.0 is now available to download. The update allows you to move all software and data from one Wii U to another via a system transfer. Another additional feature is the ability to browse the Wii U eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller. You can read about all of the changes Wii U update 5.1.0 brings, below.

Wii U to Wii U System Transfer

Users can now transfer (move) all software and data from one Wii U to another

A “System Transfer” option has been added within System Settings

Click here for additional information on this feature

Changes to Nintendo eShop:

Users can now navigate the Nintendo eShop using a Wii Remote, Wii U Pro Controller, or Classic Controller

Improvements to system stability and usability:

Further improvements to overall system stability and other minor adjustments have been made to enhance the user experience

Wii U System Transfer details:

The Wii U to Wii U system transfer feature, implemented with the system update released July 21st, 2014, allows you to transfer content from one Wii U to another Wii U. Content from the source console, including any users, Nintendo Network IDs, save data, and digital content, will replace that on the target console.

As part of the system transfer process:

All content from a Wii U must be transferred. You cannot transfer just a single user or Nintendo Network ID through this process

All content on the target Wii U will be lost when the console is formatted and replaced by the content from the source Wii U, with the exception of Wii Menu content, Internet connection settings, TV settings, Wii U GamePad TV Remote settings, and Wii Remote and Wii U GamePad pairing

The source Wii U will be formatted once the transfer is complete

Nintendo Network IDs that previously existed on the target Wii U can be relinked after the transfer How to

If these Nintendo Network IDs are relinked, content purchased by them on the target Wii U will become available for download. The save data for IDs that previously existed on the target system will be deleted as part of the system transfer process, and any USB Storage devices that were previously used will need to be formatted to work with the Wii U again

There is a limit of 12 Nintendo Network IDs that can be linked to a single Wii U at one time

Wii Menu digital content is transferred, but it is not deleted from the target Wii U. Wii Menu digital content from both consoles will be combined.

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/07/22/wii-u-system-update-available/

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8983/p/431/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA1OTg5NTkwL3NpZC9pVkNTUFRabA%3D%3D

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3070/p/431

Edited by Wii

bye bye gamepad.

good to see nintendo allow eshop navigation without gamepad.

Non gamepad SKU on the way???

edit. oh you still cant navigate settings without gamepad so not quite there yet.

Edited by khilafah

It's about damn time they fixed that! It was always so silly that the eShop was the only part of the Wii U OS that couldn't be navigated with something other than the Gamepad (other than settings, but that's not gonna change for obvious reasons)

Can't believe that it has taken so long for the Wii U System Transfer feature to become available either. That was promised over a year ago!!

Still no bloody folders though...

bye bye gamepad.

good to see nintendo allow eshop navigation without gamepad.

Non gamepad SKU on the way???

edit. oh you still cant navigate settings without gamepad so not quite there yet.

That is not going to happen. Ever.

That is not going to happen. Ever.

Especially after the E3 where they went out of their way to push new forms of play with the Gamepad. If they did cut it, then every single upcoming game they showed at E3 (except for Hyrule Warriors) would be made unplayable.

Especially after the E3 where they went out of their way to push new forms of play with the Gamepad. If they did cut it, then every single upcoming game they showed at E3 (except for Hyrule Warriors) would be made unplayable.

And with Amiibo being such a big part of their upcoming strategy...

Wait, you're not being sarcastic, are you??

Wait, you're not being sarcastic, are you??

It's rare that I'm not dripping with sarcasm so savour it while you can ;)

Anyway! I'm totally happy with this update not bringing me folders yet again... totally ok with it...

I LOVE having to manually organise my Wii U menu by type of download and having to scroll though pages and pages of content to find what I'm looking for...

System transfer is nice.

The continual reduction in the necessity of the gamepad continues. To what end nobody really knows.

I'd like a Pro Controller/Wii U bundle to hit with no Gamepad, but that would just confuse consumers even more than the Wii U already does.

They do have a proper account system...

So if my Wii U is broken or stolen, I can log into my Nintendo network ID on a new one and redownload my profile and all my stuff?

Is there a way to manage how many systems my account is on and an easy way to deactivate them remotely?

Are there reasonable restrictions in place to prevent people gaming account-based purchases as with Xbox and Playstation?

That's how a proper account system works. It isn't how the Wii U works though. You instead have to call up Nintendo and deal with their extremely hit/miss customer service.

That's just for the NNID too, there's no guarantee your precious purchases will be coming for the ride to your shiny new Wii U.

Nintendo are making good progress, but let's not glorify their extremely broken online presence by calling it a proper account system.

Edited by Guy

To be fair, NFC could easily be integrated into a new Pro style controller or portal included in a Gamepad-less SKU. If they chose to drop it, they'd look at alternative ways to support Amiibo or whatever.

They are committed to GamePad but I think there will come a time when they do drop the GamePad for a significant price reduction.

System transfer is nice.

The continual reduction in the necessity of the gamepad continues. To what end nobody really knows.

I'd like a Pro Controller/Wii U bundle to hit with no Gamepad, but that would just confuse consumers even more than the Wii U already does.

Nintendo have always been giving people options. Frankly, it was bizarre that they didn't with the eShop before today.

Would have been decent if they announced a proper account system or even a cloud based service...

What are they missing? A unified friend list, cloud saves (essential!). The idea of signing in elsewhere is something Nintendo are just not going to implement, such a move would destroy them financially; people signing in on friends consoles to share purchases, people would spend their time walking to friends house rather than playing/buying games.

Being able to sign in elsewhere, logging my playtime and even saves should be enabled by now. I'll never complete that waddlewing level at home, (with "what-do-i-do wobbly fingers @lindsey") yet i competed it (spectacularly) with @dazzybee on his machine.

Is there a way to manage how many systems my account is on

Sure. Turn your Wii U on.

and an easy way to deactivate them remotely?

Sure. Leave the house, call back and ask Ma to format the Wii U.

The idea of signing in elsewhere is something Nintendo are just not going to implement, such a move would destroy them financially; people signing in on friends consoles to share purchases, people would spend their time walking to friends house rather than playing/buying games.

People have been borrowing games from one another for years. In fact, my entire childhood was pretty much based on an organised system of everyone buying different games so we could borrow them.

The same happens now with rental services.

Sure. Turn your Wii U on.

Sure. Leave the house, call back and ask Ma to format the Wii U.

But she hates me playing the television games...

=(

[edit]

I'm on my phone. Sorry for the atrociously broken quoting. I think I fixed it now.

[ANOTHER EDIT - director's cut]

Found this over on Neogaf. A nice demonstration of how much Nintendo Network is missing compared to the PSN.

☐ Remove stupid option to easily nuke the whole NNID from the system it's linked to. URGENT.

☑ Purchases tied to NNID

☑ Ability to move NNID between systems when both systems present

☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system when system present (Now: possible via CS)

☐ Ability to unlink NNID from system without system present (Now: possible via CS)

☐ Ability to link NNID to more than one system

☐ Ability to easily move individual saves between systems

☐ Some sort of cloud saves

Edited by Guy

BTW: Small little thing, but nice all the same.

When you go onto the eShop to buy something (I just went to buy Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland), it forces you to enter the credit card details on the Gamepad still and it puts the text entry display on the Gamepad only. A nice touch that is appreciated when buying content with friends around (nice to be able to enter my details without people being able to see part of what I'm entering! - a bit of privacy is much appreciated :) )

Hope we get the contactless payment support over here soon. Looks really nice and slick in Nintendo's video...

Edited by Dcubed

What are they missing? A unified friend list, cloud saves (essential!). The idea of signing in elsewhere is something Nintendo are just not going to implement, such a move would destroy them financially; people signing in on friends consoles to share purchases, people would spend their time walking to friends house rather than playing/buying games.

Destroy them financially. Not quite. People have shared games since day 1.

Its like when people try and justify the region locking claiming it hurts publishers financially. Its a weak excuse.

They do have a proper account system...

What you call proper I would call shambolic. Hit me up when its an account system which resembles the industry standard rather than being some archaic mess.

When you go onto the eShop to buy something (I just went to buy Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland), it forces you to enter the credit card details on the Gamepad still and it puts the text entry display on the Gamepad only.

So you cant just use the gamepad? That sux!!!

So you cant just use the gamepad? That sux!!!

No, it's a good thing! I appreciate being able to put my card info in privately! (and quite frankly, I'm amazed it took them this long to change that!)

The Gamepad isn't going anywhere, so they should be making use of it! It was always silly that you couldn't browse the eShop with any other controller, but the way it is used now makes absolute perfect sense.