Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Also, to those that have the Pro Controller; what's the battery life like? And is it a comfortable controller to use?

The battery life is great, but I don't find it as comfortable as either the 360/X1 or PS3/PS4 controllers. I think the buttons are a bit hard and small, and they hurt my thumb after playing Mario Kart for a few hours. The build quality feels a little on the cheap side, but otherwise it's decent. Definitely preferable to the gamepad for most games. Although Wind Waker does benefit from the map being on the gamepad.

It was ridiculous, for all the reasons I gave. He is also looking to buy the most/join most expensive console available when he doesn't even like the games on it, when he could have bought a PS3 with free online (which I suggested it to him).

You can't really help these people. They're impervious to reason.

I think you're missing his point, he's not saying there aren't lots of other games or whatever on the console. He's basically saying the only games he misses, the only games that would tempt him to buy another console - are FIFA and tiger woods. But it's an excessive outlay just for those two franchises. It's not an attack on ps4, or that there aren't any other games to play, just simply these are the two games he really misses.

This is a prime example of making a mountain out of a molehill. I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money that not one other person would have taken that particular comment as badly as you. It was also hyperbole. When I say 'shame' I am not issuing commands to people to perform seppuku. Rather, disappointment, as his argument really was not a very good one yet the thanks may convince him otherwise or encourage him to do more of the same.

No, no - that line annoyed me too, I just couldn't be bothered to respond.

I think you're missing his point, he's not saying there aren't lots of other games or whatever on the console. He's basically saying the only games he misses, the only games that would tempt him to buy another console - are FIFA and tiger woods. But it's an excessive outlay just for those two franchises. It's not an attack on ps4, or that there aren't any other games to play, just simply these are the two games he really misses.

Even so, why PS4? Why not PS3? His cost breakdown would have been so much lower. I don't know why someone would consider the PS4 if they're only interested in a couple of games that are also available much cheaper! That's why there's just no logic to the argument.

Oi!!! Back at ya.

I never once mentioned the PS4 or One, just stated that the a Wii U could clean house due to all the delays of other games. You guys started the comparisons off!

*passes buck back to dazzy*

Haha, but you basically said the same thing, y may not have named names, but basically the other consoles seem to have barren releases and the Wii u could take advantage. I agreed, but then mused on my surprise at how poor their lineups were for me, primarily on exclusives.

But to be honest, clown and sheikah are blaming each other so I think we've got away with it. If only @Retro_Link didn't drag my name into the mud :P

Even so, why PS4? Why not PS3? His cost breakdown would have been so much lower. I don't know why someone would consider the PS4 if they're only interested in a couple of games that are also available much cheaper! That's why there's just no logic to the argument.

I guess because maybe the ps3 wouldn't get those franchises indefinitely...

I guess because maybe the ps3 wouldn't get those franchises indefinitely...

Indefinitely? Well FIFA 13 was on PS2, you know. The sorts of games he wants will be getting it for a good while, certainly long enough that by the time he needs a PS4, they will probably be much, much cheaper.

Edit: actually, so was FIFA 14!

This is a prime example of making a mountain out of a molehill. I'd be willing to bet a good amount of money that not one other person would have taken that particular comment as badly as you. It was also hyperbole. When I say 'shame' I am not issuing commands to people to perform seppuku. Rather, disappointment, as his argument really was not a very good one yet the thanks may convince him otherwise or encourage him to do more of the same.

Firstly I don't think we've ever traded posts enough for you to know that no one would have taken that as badly as me on this forum, and as far as I can remember I've never been one to engage in anything like this.

Secondly, by your logic of if we thank him that means it will encourage him to post more, as no one thanked your post in reply to his, does that mean you'll stop?

Sorry to @Retro_Link and other mods, I'm doing what I hate and that's de railing the thread. I've made my point, right or wrong, and I'll step out and have a cold shower to calm down ;)

I would like to know what exactly people want from the Wii U, because its not very clear to me; droughts, less third party support than the Playstation etc have been a common thing for like 10 years or more.

I feel a lot of people have, more than anything, just outgrown Nintendo and have grown more attached to other offerings - thats very natural - but the constant stabs at the Wii U, whilst glorifying the PS4 is questionable.

I'm similar to Kav and HoT - I want to see these things done! Whilst it may have been a common thing for the past 10 years+, Nintendo told me it wasn't going to be like that going forward. They sold me the Wii U telling me it'd have lots of third party, and good online, and that the gamepad would bring all sorts of interesting experiences. Re:Gamepad, yes it is being used, but far less than I would have hoped for it to be by now. I hoped for more little indies and third parties to be brought on board, too.

Right now even just being on par with the competition in some aspects would be something I'd be glad for. I still think the Wii U's good, but it could without a doubt be much better too.

Sony Defense Force had to get in to defend the PS4... instead of just pointing out he could pick them up on PS3 (or the 360, but let's not name that because it's not a Sony machine).

You know I'm just messing right?!

Obviously the online is the big one... But things ARE improving, they have tied the accounts up so hopefully cross play and all that is coming. Iwata specifically said they're working to an accounts based system not a hardware and , I think, even cited apple in this. The modes and such are getting better.... I miiverse is constantly updated, we're starting to get apps, they are slowly improving. Maybe not fast enough, and I'm not saying it's good enough yet, but it's not like they're ignoring everything and staying stagnant!

Firstly I don't think we've ever traded posts enough for you to know that no one would have taken that as badly as me on this forum, and as far as I can remember I've never been one to engage in anything like this.

My post was hyperbolic, and dismissive of a less than logical argument (and those in agreement with it). It wasn't any more than that. There's no reason for the seismic clusterfuck of a derailment over this comment, honestly.

Secondly, by your logic of if we thank him that means it will encourage him to post more, as no one thanked your post in reply to his, does that mean you'll stop?

This is a Nintendo subforum. If I get thanked in here, I have to start questioning what I'm doing or saying wrong. :p

Sony Defense Force had to get in to defend the PS4... instead of just pointing out he could pick them up on PS3 (or the 360, but let's not name that because it's not a Sony machine).

You know I'm just messing right?!

Of course! Since I already did that. Well, I may have corrected a few other problems there, too. ;)

(and the 360 still has the online cost, hence the PS3 suggestion)

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

I'm similar to Kav and HoT - I want to see these things done! Whilst it may have been a common thing for the past 10 years+, Nintendo told me it wasn't going to be like that going forward. They sold me the Wii U telling me it'd have lots of third party, and good online, and that the gamepad would bring all sorts of interesting experiences. Re:Gamepad, yes it is being used, but far less than I would have hoped for it to be by now. I hoped for more little indies and third parties to be brought on board, too.

Right now even just being on par with the competition in some aspects would be something I'd be glad for. I still think the Wii U's good, but it could without a doubt be much better too.

To be fair, the third parties at that time were all praising the Wii U and saying how awesome it was. Then they dropped out.

Power? Future proofing? Joining people who have purchased a PS4? Better social features? To irritate people on message boards?

But FIFA 14 was still on PS2!

I get there are many reasons to want a PS4, but for the games he wants I really don't see it improving the experience massively. Certainly not in the region of hundreds of pounds.

Plus if he would have got it on Wii U had it been available, you can expect the same level of graphical fidelity as the Wii U in the PS3. But with better online.

To be fair, the third parties at that time were all praising the Wii U and saying how awesome it was. Then they dropped out.

It's not as if they didn't have good reason. Some of it was, of course, down to the lack of new software at launch, they didn't support the launch lineup. A large part of the problem is some really sloppy launch preparations and subsequent work from Nintendo.

I don't think we can blame a business - one which is reliant on the success of another - for taking decisions to ensure profitability and it's own survival.

I think the big thing was that the Wii was really successful, so you can't just dismiss that (as the devs initially didn't). But when the console isn't selling and the game sales just aren't there, as well as a lack of future proofing to keep running third party games...you can see why they dropped support.

Most dropped out before sales weren't there...before the console was even for sale.

I thought a fair few released ports on the console? As for the others...you can't really blame them for predicting the situation sooner. Let's be honest, the Wii U situation isn't really down to the third parties. It is the console specification and the image, and Nintendo as a company, that caused the devs to flee.

I'm curious about something...

I was looking at Gaf and saw people still complaining about how slow the Wii U OS is, and some said that entering the Settings menu took ages (I think they said around 15 seconds?), and even longer to get back to the Wii U Menu. I decided to check for myself, found my trusty stopwatch, and... for me, it took just over four seconds to enter the settings and just below six seconds to get back.

Is my Wii U just extremely fast, or are people really exaggerating this much? I don't know what to believe. o__O

I'm curious about something...

I was looking at Gaf and saw people still complaining about how slow the Wii U OS is, and some said that entering the Settings menu took ages (I think they said around 15 seconds?), and even longer to get back to the Wii U Menu. I decided to check for myself, found my trusty stopwatch, and... for me, it took just over four seconds to enter the settings and just below six seconds to get back.

Is my Wii U just extremely fast, or are people really exaggerating this much? I don't know what to believe. o__O

Probably just exaggerating. It is Gaf.

If they think that's slow they must not be One owners. That thing takes a lifetime to actually boot up!