Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

- Iwata: not hopeless or at a loss in coming up with something new, but until existing users are satisfied, we cannot release next hardware

I hate to say this, but i can't see them achieving the level of satisfaction they obviously want with the current management of the WiiU! Slow development, piss poor release of back catalog, terrible media exposure...how can they achieve user satisfaction, week in week out as much as i love my Wiiu i grow to feel its a Virtual boy in waiting :blank:

And the wiiU is making profit now? Good, drop the price and take a further loss to drive sales

You have to wonder how the Wii U ever got the green light? I could just imagine Nintendo making a pitch to Dragons Den and being shot down in flames. They wouldn't get backing from anybody.

It was/is bad on every level. A system released without a proper OS ready. Way overpriced. But still selling at a loss. Still overpriced. Game droughts. Struggling with HD development. No online Nintendo games. Shoddy compared to the competition. Weak wifi. Only 1 person gets to use the new controller. Can't easily buy replacement gamepad. Which costs a fortune. Terrible battery life. No proper unifed account system. Very poor VC release plans, limited systems available. No truly innovative games. Technology that is 7 years too late. Nintendo TVii. Poor 3rd party relations. Didn't consult them on what technology they might like. No 3rd party games. Poor advertising budget and campaign. Naming it Wii U. The list goes on forever.

It is a complete disaster. Sony or Microsoft couldn't have sabotaged it any worse if they tried.

did you buy a Wii U?

You have to wonder how the Wii U ever got the green light? I could just imagine Nintendo making a pitch to Dragons Den and being shot down in flames. They wouldn't get backing from anybody.

It was/is bad on every level. A system released without a proper OS ready. Way overpriced. But still selling at a loss. Still overpriced. Game droughts. Struggling with HD development. No online Nintendo games. Shoddy compared to the competition. Weak wifi. Only 1 person gets to use the new controller. Can't easily buy replacement gamepad. Which costs a fortune. Terrible battery life. No proper unifed account system. Very poor VC release plans, limited systems available. No truly innovative games. Technology that is 7 years too late. Nintendo TVii. Poor 3rd party relations. Didn't consult them on what technology they might like. No 3rd party games. Poor advertising budget and campaign. Naming it Wii U. The list goes on forever.

It is a complete disaster. Sony or Microsoft couldn't have sabotaged it any worse if they tried.

The other systems OS's were missing features at launch, too, so don't claim that's a Wii U only issue. The OS was actually complete at launch here, wasn't missing anything (though it did require a patch, but so did PS4 and Xbox One. Xbox One was missing standard features like bloody data management)

Also, we have full confirmation that the account system is completely unified (apart from cross purchases).

Overpriced is subjective. Considering it's only just broke even, it's clearly not physically overpriced.

No online Nintendo games is erroneous.

Struggling with HD development is erroneous. They underestimated the change, but they didn't struggle.

Only 1 person using the controller is by design.

Technology isn't "7 years too late"

Games are innovative, more so than titles on other platforms.

I'll give you advertising, though.

Edited by Serebii

There's just a lack of transferring it to another device manually.

So the only thing lacking is the entire point of it?

It's still as tied to the hardware as the Wii, where it was all stored on a Wii Shop Channel account, which Nintendo could transfer between two consoles.

Technology isn't "7 years too late"

Then how do you explain it being not that much more powerful than a PS3/360? Don't say the gamepad saves it because it hardly gets used by even their own IP in any meaningful way.

Games are innovative, more so than titles on other platforms.

How so?

So what I'm hearing is....price cut!

I'm just trying to give you a rage seizure :p

Really though, Iwata said this new FY they're focused on profit, not necessarily growth. Price cut would kill that :p

Then how do you explain it being not that much more powerful than a PS3/360? Don't say the gamepad saves it because it hardly gets used by even their own IP in any meaningful way.

How so?

Technology age is not solely determined by power. With that logic, PS4 and Xbox One are also outdated because PCs of that power have existed for a few years.

The Wii U tech may not be too much more powerful than the PS3/360, but it is incredibly efficient and low energy. This is modern technology.

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Really though, Iwata said this new FY they're focused on profit, not necessarily growth. Price cut would kill that :p

Technology age is not solely determined by power. With that logic, PS4 and Xbox One are also outdated because PCs of that power have existed for a few years.

The Wii U tech may not be too much more powerful than the PS3/360, but it is incredibly efficient and low energy. This is the latest technology.

Who cares if it is efficient or low energy? The SNES may be efficient and low energy, but that doesn't mean jack.

PC will always edge over consoles but is a continually running format. When we speak of generations we speak of games consoles. The technology within the Wii U is indeed 7 years too late.

Who cares if it is efficient or low energy? The SNES may be efficient and low energy, but that doesn't mean jack.

PC will always edge over consoles but is a continually running format. When we speak of generations we speak of games consoles. The technology within the Wii U is indeed 7 years too late.

Nobody mentioned generations and you're wrong as these things should be factored in.

It's not all about raw power.

Yet what consoles are people buying?

Ones that actually got advertised and marketed?

Power isn't everything. PS2 was weak and sold the most. 3DS is weaker than the Vita, yet the Vita is dead and the 3DS is thriving.

Why people keep going on about specs now as if it's the be-all and end-all, I have no idea

Nobody mentioned generations and you're wrong as these things should be factored in.

It's not all about raw power.

Yet like I said...the gamepad is hardly being used in any significant way. So the technology it is using is not new.

Old consoles were efficient. So again, not new.

Power isn't everything. PS2 was weak and sold the most. 3DS is weaker than the Vita, yet the Vita is dead and the 3DS is thriving.

Why people keep going on about specs now as if it's the be-all and end-all, I have no idea

3DS is hardly thriving. Regardless, PS2 wasn't weak. It was weaker, but not weak. It was relatively comparable to the gamecube and Xbox.

The Wii U is not comparable to the other consoles.

Power isn't everything.

Of course. People are buying the PS4/X1 because they actually know about them. Not because they actually want them.

Edited by Sheikah
Automerged Doublepost

Also, that TIME article is bull and exaggerated hyperbole :p

It's not bull and is full of FACTS. Oh it's TIME so what do they know about gaming, right? But you pick the bit about QOL to agree with because it's positive. Articles like this have far more reach and influence than say you or I discussing in forums whether Wii U has been a disaster.

Yet like I said...the gamepad is hardly being used in any significant way. So the technology it is using is not new.

Old consoles were efficient. So again, not new.

3DS is hardly thriving. Regardless, PS2 wasn't weak. It was weaker, but not weak. It was relatively comparable to the gamecube and Xbox.

The Wii U is not comparable to the other consoles.

Of course. People are buying the PS4/X1 because they actually know about them. Not because they actually want them.

So, because the GamePad isn't being used in a way you consider substantial, that means the technology is old? Ok.

3DS is thriving. 43 million in 3 years is not bad at all

PS2 was weak. C'mon you are really stretching with that comment.

Who is saying specs are the be and end-all?

Do you honestly believe that the commercial failure of the Wii U has nothing to do with the specs of the hardware?

That the lack of third party support has nothing to do with the specs of the hardware?

While the specs are not the sole reason for the above to claim they are not one of the reasons is crazy talk.

Thats par the course for a Nintendo handheld. Does it have another 30 mil potential to hit GBA/PSP numbers?

Also the software sales are low. 162 mil units = an attach rate of under 4. That is not thriving!!!

Edited by liger05

So, because the GamePad isn't being used in a way you consider substantial, that means the technology is old? Ok.

Fucking knew, I fucking knew you would quote a 'number sold over X years' statistic in your rebuttal, to make it look better than it currently is. Serebii, you are the king of spin.

And yes. You can't say something is new if everything it is doing is old. If it's not doing it, it's not new.

Fucking knew, I fucking knew you would quote a 'number sold over X years' statistic in your rebuttal, to make it look better than it currently is. Serebii, you are the king of spin.

And yes. You can't say something is new if everything it is doing is old. If it's not doing it, it's not new.

Yeah, how dare I use facts and numbers to support my point? I'm a monster!

And yes, you can. The latest car is new, but it still drives you from A to B using technology that has been around for a while, just with a few new bells and whistles.

PS2 was weaker than the others, but still powerful enough to be the lead format that generation. Not that I want to start the "generation" argument again, but think about it - the only reason we have that argument is because Nintendo releases consoles with tech similar to the previous generation (first with the Wii, now with the Wii U). When you think about it, that's a highly absurd and unusual thing to do.

Nintendo prove time and time again that you don't need incredible specs to make 10/10 games, if only the average console gamer was aware of that.

Does anyone even dispute that Nintendo are not capable of making great games on there own hardware?

It's kinda difficult for third parties make games for a console that isnt capable of running the engines they develop the game on.

Nintendo's own games look great.

But if a console isn't in the same tier as its competitors in any given generation, you simply don't get the multi-format games, which effectively means no 3rd-party support at all.