Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii U General Discussion

Hero-of-Time

Saturn was dire, sales wise, yes. My point is that dropping a console and getting out its successor, such in this case, eroded consumer faith in Sega.

I'm not saying that this would bankrupt Nintendo and cause them to go third party, I'm saying it'd destroy consumer faith in Nintendo and make people far more reluctant to purchase Nintendo hardware in the future.

No it didnt. The Sega CD, and 32x are what killed Sega.

Not forgetting the Saturn was overprices, non developer friendly and undercut by £100 by the PS1. It was DOA!!!

Edited by liger05

Some would say they've done that with the Wii U. Some even with the Wii. Retailers are dropping the Wii U. Nintendo might not want to drop it but if nobody is selling it in a years time. What do they do then?

And this would drop the faith from their supporters...

I hear it's Serebii confirmed...

You are correct, sir :p

I dont see a new home console yet but even as a Wii U owner if nintendo announced a new console which spec was up there with the PS4 I wouldnt be disappointed.

As for a handheld its not too early. The 3DS is on the decline and wont last like the DS did. Personally i think a premuim 3DS model is most likely.

And this would drop the faith from their supporters...

They've already done it. I'm the last of my friends who buys Nintendo. They've all dropped off one by one since the SNES. Some thought the Wii was a weak assed joke of a console. None have bought the Wii U. Some never heard of it, others again say it's doomed and a cod of a console. The Gamecube was the last upturn in my friends buying a Nintendo console. They were good days.

I don't blame my friends either, it's Nintendo's fault. If one of them asked me if they should buy Wii U I don't think I'd recommend it.

Saturn was dire, sales wise, yes. My point is that dropping a console and getting out its successor, such in this case, eroded consumer faith in Sega.

I'm not saying that this would bankrupt Nintendo and cause them to go third party, I'm saying it'd destroy consumer faith in Nintendo and make people far more reluctant to purchase Nintendo hardware in the future.

But it wasn't the Saturn that ruined consumer faith alone, it was EVERYTHING else. The surprise release with select retailers after E3, the Sega 32x, the Sega CD. The Saturn just didn't have the hardware capabilities that others had but to say releasing the DC ruined consumer faith is absolutely laughable. It was much needed and it helped them a lot. Unfortunately their baggage cost them. Nintendo have very little baggage and a LOT of cash.

But either way, it's not happening. But please, for the love of God, don't compare the two.

But it wasn't the Saturn that ruined consumer faith alone, it was EVERYTHING else. The surprise release with select retailers after E3, the Sega 32x, the Sega CD. The Saturn just didn't have the hardware capabilities that others had but to say releasing the DC ruined consumer faith is absolutely laughable. It was much needed and it helped them a lot. Unfortunately their baggage cost them. Nintendo have very little baggage and a LOT of cash.

But either way, it's not happening. But please, for the love of God, don't compare the two.

You are correct. I rescind my statement. However, Nintendo revealing a new console now would be suicide, you can't deny that.

You are correct, sir :p
Nintendo should be ashamed that consumers have to buy an external hard drive for the console should they want to make numerous digital downloads.

A console with a larger hard drive at the same price point should be something they don't hesitate to introduce, as it's just one more thing that's off putting about the console that could be so easily resolved.

tumblr_mysk5veP3J1qzp9weo2_r1_250.gif

You did not just say that :(

Where's this gif from?

No idea. Saw it on GAF

1) Two peas in a pod ;)

2) Taking without sourcing? I thought you were supposed to be a journalist ;)

I'll leave you in peace and get back to work!

Still doesn't rule out a hardware revision.

It does because that would count as a new piece of hardware (like how the 2DS was a new piece of hardware).

Not to mention that we would've heard more detailed information about it before now anyway. What more do you want than a flat out denial? (Something that Nintendo NEVER do in regards to rumours normally...)

It does because that would count as a new piece of hardware (like how the 2DS was a new piece of hardware).

Not to mention that we would've heard more detailed information about it before now anyway. What more do you want than a flat out denial? (Something that Nintendo NEVER do in regards to rumours normally...)

Why would a bigger hard drive and a few other little touches to make the Wii U more attractive at its current price point count as new hardware? It's the same machine just revised from what they initially launched. I wouldn't even call a redesign like a Slim console new hardware.

Why would a bigger hard drive and a few other little touches to make the Wii U more attractive at its current price point count as new hardware? It's the same machine just revised from what they initially launched. I wouldn't even call a redesign like a Slim console new hardware.

Well, for one, they don't use hard drives. Due to hard drive technology, they'd have to keep releasing loads of SKUs repeatedly like MS and Sony had to.

Hard Drive prices go up over time due to smaller sizes being more costly to create after they have been bettered. That's why we had so many Xbox 360 and PS3 SKUs with varying drive sizes.

As such, Nintendo went with flash memory, which will only go down. It's possible that they'll add another in when it costs the same as 32GB did when Wii U launch, but it'd be 128GB or something akin to that.

It wouldn't surprise me if they did actually show off a new handheld tbh, with the aim of releasing it next year and the Wii U successor in 2016/2017.

@Dcubed: They flat out denied the DS Lite 2 days before announcing it. 3DSXL too.

Not true. Miyamoto skirted the question and said that he's happy with the 3DS and that their core focus is on the building blocks for the next generation of handheld. Both of which were true. He never said that there was no 3DS XL.