NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It's worth noting that the source actually praises the Wii U a few times:

-The chip has some interesting features that let the CPU punch above its weight.

-Some code could see substantial improvements that did mitigate the lower clocks - anything up to a 4x boost.

-The GPU proved very capable and we ended up adding additional "polish" features as the GPU had capacity to do it.

-Trying to utilise the GPU via compute shaders (GPGPU) to offload work from the CPU - exactly the approach I expect to see gain traction on the next-gen consoles.

-The GPU is better than on PS3 or Xbox 360, but leagues away from the graphics hardware in the PS4 or Xbox One.

-concerns about the utilisation of DDR3 RAM on Wii U, and a bandwidth deficit compared to the PS3 and Xbox 360. This wasn't really a problem for us.

He wasn't there to 'diss' Wii U, but just go through the problems that they had with Nintendo during the launch build up. Also, people on GAF seemed to have worked out that it's likely he worked on NBA 2K13.

Funny how some like to ignore this and just paint it as some anti Nintendo story which it really isn't.

If I ever critisize anything (I rarely do) I always do it with my real name, I'm no pussy.

A valid point on this not being a secondary source. But this point - just no.

saying all this to his management in house, yes 100% fine. But taking this up with Nintendo themselves, or speaking to a journalist without a cloak of anonymity, that would put his career on the line.

But you are 100% correct. Someone could have just done a convincing job of making the journalist believe he was such and such person working for such and such company. So really in this case you have to ask, is the secondary source reliable? If you don't think so, fine.

Funny how some like to ignore this and just paint it as some anti Nintendo story which it really isn't.

yeah, hoax or real, it does sound like a convincing story. Anyone who has worked and been within a mile of "projects" will know they never go smoothly.

It's a cm or two taller than the Wii U, as deep as the Wii U and about 1.35 times wider.

Not the best photos I know, but:

xn7yar.jpg

245lqur.jpg

How is that "just a bit bigger" than the wii u?! It's bigger than two wii u's side by side isn't it :)

Exactly. And it's not like this kind of pre-launch story is anything out of the ordinary; pretty much every developer who has ever made a launch title for just about every console in existence has gone through a similarly harrowing tale.

I'm sure that the PS4 and Xbone launch tales (especially the latter) will make for fun reads in the future too :)

It's a cm or two taller than the Wii U, as deep as the Wii U and about 1.35 times wider.

Not the best photos I know, but:

xn7yar.jpg

245lqur.jpg

Yeah, those photos aren't helping your argument here... it's a monolith :p

In fact it's the 3rd biggest console ever made (behind only the Xbone and then, as the reigning champion, the original Xbox). It's also pretty

(and in some cases, sounding like
) Edited by Dcubed

Exactly. And it's not like this kind of pre-launch story is anything out of the ordinary; pretty much every developer who has ever made a launch title for just about every console in existence has gone through a similarly harrowing tale.

I'm sure that the PS4 and Xbone launch tales (especially the latter) will make for fun reads in the future too :)

Yeah, those photos aren't helping your argument here... it's a monolith :p

In fact it's the 3rd biggest console ever made (behind only the Xbone and then, as the reigning champion, the original Xbox). It's also pretty

(and in some cases, sounding like
)

What? No it isn't, it's smaller than the original PS3, which is the console I've had beneath my TV since it launched. The thought of the next Sony console being quite a bit smaller than the previous one is really quite an achievement I think.

slide1zg.png

Top vs bottom:

ps4-vs-ps3-640x687.jpg

It's not really a weird statistic like you suggest, though - you would kinda expect consoles to get bigger than the 2D games consoles of years past that weren't really very powerful and had no need for massive cooling systems or optical drives.

As for the Wii U comparison, what do you expect? The Wii U may be a lot smaller, but it's a comparatively weak machine. It's style over substance.

Edited by Retro_Link

Hmm. Forgot about the height difference. So you're right then; it's a fair bit wider but the height is a lot shorter than the original PS3 model, so in terms of total volume it is indeed slightly smaller than the original fat PS3 - making it the 4th biggest and the original PS3 the 3rd biggest (how very fitting :laughing: )

BTW, I'm still rocking that original 80GB PS3 model myself too (RIP my original 60GB US PS3 :cry: ). Still think it looks much better than the Slim or the Super Slim (neither of which are much smaller than the original anyway - they only really cut down on the height for the most part)

Not that it's saying much, I'd still consider both the PS3 and the PS4 to be monolithic in size anyway :p

But anyway, the point is that Nintendo wanted their console to be small, quiet and reliable; so that's why they were so adamant about getting that power consumption down.

Edited by Dcubed

Compared to a PC, which the PS4 practically is, I'd say it's positively miniature =P.

Compared to a PC, which the PS4 practically is, I'd say it's positively miniature =P.

I dunno... You can get some surprisingly small SFF PC cases these days...

The Silverstone RVZ01 is not much bigger than an Xbone and allows for full size GPUs too! (Ok I'm going on a tangent here, but I just happen to be planning on building a living room PC so I was eyeing this case :p )

But yeah, for a console I would still consider it to be huge (and I'm sure that your average mum would also consider it to be big - which is the whole point of what we're on about anyway)

Well, if people were happy with the PS3 footprint (which I think most people were), then it probably won't appear any bigger or smaller to them, so they probably won't even factor the size at all. Unless they're like us with our fat PS3s, in which case it looks smaller.

How is that "just a bit bigger" than the wii u?! It's bigger than two wii u's side by side isn't it :)

No, you can clearly tell that from the photo...

And yeah obviously it's not a centimetre larger or anything, but on display it's not noticeably larger. If you were to put the original Xbox next to it you would notice a difference, but the U and PS4 next to each other take up nearly the same volume, the latter just has two inches extra. Plus I've always found the Wii U form to be ugly.

"Oh so we have a new console, what shall we do for the design?"

"Just use what we had before and stretch it"

And people complain about the dual stock :p

And why are we talking about how mothers would perceive it anyway? I know Nintendo allegedly said it... but why?

Edited by Ashley

Tbh, I've found the size of the Wii U controller to be much more of an issue than the size of any console I've ever had as I find it hard to put it anywhere without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Tbh, I've found the size of the Wii U controller to be much more of an issue than the size of any console I've ever had as I find it hard to put it anywhere without it sticking out like a sore thumb.

Amen to that. I really have no place for that big bloody thing.

Amen to that. I really have no place for that big bloody thing.

Thats-What-She-Said-Michael-Scott-Last-Episode.gif

Plenty of Nintendo representation in Gametrailers Game of the Year, with half of the 10 Nominees :)

Edited by Retro_Link

Regarding the size of the Gamepad, its never been an issue for me, it just stays in the centre of my desk with one of these over the top when its not in use...

251193_scr2_a.png

Being that this makes it flat when in storage my Pro controller then rests neatly on the top. :)

Regarding the size of the Gamepad, its never been an issue for me, it just stays in the centre of my desk with one of these over the top when its not in use...

251193_scr2_a.png

Being that this makes it flat when in storage my Pro controller then rests neatly on the top. :)

oooooo thats nice, does it still fit the charging cradle with it on?

That sort of stuff bugs me, i bought a clear hard shell for my Zelda 3ds to protect it, not considering the charge and now it doesn't fit the cradle its annoying me. That looks cool but i'd hate to do it with the WiiU pad, have a charger i can't use without removing the cover and thus have even more large WiiU stuf making an eysore

oooooo thats nice, does it still fit the charging cradle with it on?

It doesn't no but then that's the trade-off with it, as it's perfect for storing the pad when not in use so it doesn't get so much dust on the screen and enables you to store something else on top.

I've no idea if they have very many in the stores - seem to be sold out on the website - originally they were a rip-off (£19.99) but I managed to get one in the sale for around £5.99 which seemed more reasonable, its proved very useful though. : peace:

Plenty of Nintendo representation in Gametrailers Game of the Year, with half of the 10 Nominees :)

But Nintendo are doomed/awful/kiddy/phone games in/rehash/a shadow of their former selves.

Aww :(

It doesn't no but then that's the trade-off with it, as it's perfect for storing the pad when not in use so it doesn't get so much dust on the screen and enables you to store something else on top.

I've no idea if they have very many in the stores - seem to be sold out on the website - originally they were a rip-off (£19.99) but I managed to get one in the sale for around £5.99 which seemed more reasonable, its proved very useful though. : peace:

well for £6 i can get over that i think! :p

hell for £6 i could buy two and modify one to fit with the charger! (i need excuses to use tools i own and don't ever use)

But Nintendo are doomed/awful/kiddy/phone games in/rehash/a shadow of their former selves.

***sigh***

You know, you're not doing yourself or this place any favours ( especially this thread ) with comments like these. Just let it go.

I have seen three instances where a Nintendo game has won a Game of the Year -title 2013, and out of two of them, the comments were full of ridiculous comments on how the wrong game won.

Dunno about GT, but it may as well be The Last of Us, as that one has already broken the records with most awards won. A little more wont break it. Sadly, it doesn't interest me one least bit.

Also, has Fire Emblem: Awakening won any awards yet? I haven't played, but everyone who has played it says it's amazing.

Also, has Fire Emblem: Awakening won any awards yet? I haven't played, but everyone who has played it says it's amazing.
It probably would have been in with a shout at best 3DS game at least if it hadn't been such an incredible year in terms of it's competition with Zelda, Pokemon, Luigi also in the mix.

It probably would have been in with a shout at best 3DS game at least if it hadn't been such an incredible year in terms of it's competition with Zelda, Pokemon, Luigi also in the mix.

I think its still less of a mainstream title as well so just wont have been played as much. It was my first ever Fire Emblem game and that was because I had played and enjoyed XCOM the year before, something I heard from other people trying it for the first time as well.

251193_scr2_a.png

That's a really nice accessory.

I hadn't even thought about a game pad protection case or anything but I guess it's a pretty smart idea.

My game pad is stored on a shelf next to the console - completely out the way. I had to buy the charging stand separately as it's not included in the Basic pack but it goes a long way to keeping everything neat and tidy.

I have some reward point money from LAME after the SM3DW preorder bonus saga, so I will see what they've got! :)