NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

It would be more like 1 Sword Adventure unless they get another gamepad working on the Wii U. There is a solution, online play but they won't do that for most games. Part of the problem with Wii U is that only 1 person gets to use the gamepad while everyone else has to use some other control method. It's not a level playing field.

3DS says hi.

*Insert not everyone has a 3DS/3 3DSes/3 extra friends/some other reason blahblahblah*

Edited by Ike

Sorry if this is not the right place, but I'm looking to get a Wii U controller and am a little confused by it all. Is there a controller that works with both Wii and Wii U games (besides the Wii remote)?

depends on the game. some wii u games support the classic controller. Most Wii controllers work on Wii U but Wii U controllers like the game pad and pro crontroller are not backwards compatible.

Sorry if this is not the right place, but I'm looking to get a Wii U controller and am a little confused by it all. Is there a controller that works with both Wii and Wii U games (besides the Wii remote)?

This controller is probably the best for your needs http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nintendo-Classic-Controller-RVLAR2W-Gaming/dp/B0037US4IA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1388926247&sr=8-2&keywords=classic+controller+pro

You just plug it into the bottom of the Wii remote and play it like that.

Thanks! Does this also work for Wii U games?

Yep I've tried it with Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate, Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Super Mario 3D World, Rayman Legends, Sonic Racing Transformed and Sonic Lost World. If a game supports the Wii U Pro Controller then usually it'll also work with the Classic Controller.

Been having a little problem with my Gamepad and its Left Analogue Stick, so I just sent this email to Nintendo to see what they can come up with. I paste it here to see if anyone can offer insight and when I get a reply I'll post that up as well.

Dear Sir/Madam,

As a long time Nintendo fan (from the Game and Watch/NES to present)I purchased a Wii U on the first day of its release in the UK. My warranty is now defunct (due to the length of time since purchase), and in the intermittent time, to the present, I have moved to the Far East taking my European Pal Wii U with me (I have no predilection to have a Japanese Wii U and play through Japanese speaking/textual games).

Recently the Gamepad, for the aforementioned Wii U, has developed an error with its Left Analogue Control Stick. This was first noticed whilst playing Super Mario 3D World when Mario decided to walk up without any input from the user. At first I thought it could be corrected by a simple re-calibration (A,B,+,- for 3 seconds), but that was not to be the case. A quick wiggle of the stick and Mario was back to normal, only for the same thing to happen many times. I turned the console off, reset everything, and loaded different games, but with the same result. Normal controls most of the time, but if a character is stationary for approximately 5-10 seconds, the calibration wanders and the on-screen character wanders North of their own accord (to be fixed by a wiggle). It seems that this is happening sporadically, and is getting more frequent over time.

I know sending the Gamepad in for repairs is out of the question due to my location, but is there any way/where I may purchase a new Gamepad?

I have a lot of downloaded software, and save files that I am loath to let go of (as its a lot of money) on my current Wii U, and with the inability to transfer all this information to a new Wii U (along with my NNID) buying a new Wii U to play on would be out of the question (especially as the Console is operating with no problems). So, due to my current location if I were to purchase a Japanese Wii U, but then use the Gamepad from that new purchase to sync to my European Wii U would there be any compatibility issues (localisation, region blocking, etc.)?

Is there anything else I can do to remedy the situation without losing all my downloaded content, etc.

Thanks for your time in advance,

I'm interested to see if their reply about the Japanese Gamepad working on a European Wii U will work out in my favour.

Been having a little problem with my Gamepad and its Left Analogue Stick, so I just sent this email to Nintendo to see what they can come up with. I paste it here to see if anyone can offer insight and when I get a reply I'll post that up as well.

I'm interested to see if their reply about the Japanese Gamepad working on a European Wii U will work out in my favour.

Interesting for the implications - gamepad goes and console can become largely redundant in places. As for mismatched territory gamepads, I'm sure it was done/tested near launch and totally possible - the Wii U somehow overwrites the Gamepad's firmware with its own locality one iirc?

Interesting for the implications - gamepad goes and console can become largely redundant in places. As for mismatched territory gamepads, I'm sure it was done/tested near launch and totally possible - the Wii U somehow overwrites the Gamepad's firmware with its own locality one iirc?

Not to my knowledge. My Japanese one will only sync with my Japanese Wii U

Not to my knowledge. My Japanese one will only sync with my Japanese Wii U

You can get it working when doing a system update though...

When the Wii U console does an update, it also updates the firmware of the Wii U Gamepad. During this process it's possible to overwrite the firmware of one region Gamepad with a different region's newer firmware (making it possible to switch Gamepad regions)

I remember hearing about this happening back during the Wii U's launch. I'm not sure if the region can be switched any other way though...

You can get it working when doing a system update though...

When the Wii U console does an update, it also updates the firmware of the Wii U Gamepad. During this process it's possible to overwrite the firmware of one region Gamepad with a different region's newer firmware (making it possible to switch Gamepad regions)

I remember hearing about this happening back during the Wii U's launch. I'm not sure if the region can be switched any other way though...

Ah, I was not aware. Interesting, though not like I'd ever do it.

Damn...was looking at the PAL charts for this week. No WiiU games at all in there. Ouch.

As is always quoted, best Nintendo is up against the wall Nintendo. It's time to deliver though, surely?

To be honest, I'm enjoying the system and I think not having tons of games is almost a given with a Nintendo console, but when the games do arrive they are usually really enjoyable. However, as much as Nintendo did speak to my gaming needs during the Wii era (I was gaming less and with the family), I've been playing some GCN games recently and I think now would be a great time for the 64/GCN games to either make a comeback on the WiiU VC or see sequels. Waverace/1080/StarFox/FZero.

(Interesting article on the death of 'arcade' racers if anyone didn't read it.)

In the current market I think Nintendo need Unique Selling Points in regards to software for WiiU - especially when the charts are lit up with Sports/FPS games. This could be their great approach to bring gamers back to their stable. Their range of characters/settings exists.

I'm never ’too' fussed about the sales of a machine but when it starts affecting the software then we have a problem. I'm still gutted the GCN never saw PES outside of Japan. And with no EA on WiiU - well, that's unprecedented right there.

Things are concerning yet 2014 will give us our clearest indications as to Nintendo's future. They need allies more than ever and in their developed relationships with Monster games/Next Level Games, have software houses that can bring great games to the table. They just need to really pull out all of the stops this year otherwise I feel they really could love the core Nintendo gamers they have slowly been losing.

Interesting times...

Edited by tapedeck

Damn...was looking at the PAL charts for this week. No WiiU games at all in there. Ouch.

As is always quoted, best Nintendo is up against the wall Nintendo. It's time to deliver though, surely?

To be honest, I'm enjoying the system and I think not having tons of games is almost a given with a Nintendo console, but when the games do arrive they are usually really enjoyable. However, as much as Nintendo did speak to my gaming needs during the Wii era (I was gaming less and with the family), I've been playing some GCN games recently and I think now would be a great time for the 64/GCN games to either make a comeback on the WiiU VC or see sequels. Waverace/1080/StarFox/FZero.

(Interesting article on the death of 'arcade' racers if anyone didn't read it.)

In the current market I think Nintendo need Unique Selling Points in regards to software for WiiU - especially when the charts are lit up with Sports/FPS games. This could be their great approach to bring gamers back to their stable. Their range of characters/settings exists.

I'm never ’too' fussed about the sales of a machine but when it starts affecting the software then we have a problem. I'm still gutted the GCN never saw PES outside of Japan. And with no EA on WiiU - well, that's unprecedented right there.

Things are concerning yet 2014 will give us our clearest indications as to Nintendo's future. They need allies more than ever and in their developed relationships with Monster games/Next Level Games, have software houses that can bring great games to the table. They just need to really pull out all of the stops this year otherwise I feel they really could love the core Nintendo gamers they have slowly been losing.

Interesting times...

spot on. If we are not getting EA's sports franchises then Nintendo need to fill this void and not with with Wii Sports, but proper games. They have done it before but it seems more and more that we just get party versions of proper games these days. Where have titles like Super Tennis, PES, 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero gone?

spot on. If we are not getting EA's sports franchises then Nintendo need to fill this void and not with with Wii Sports, but proper games. They have done it before but it seems more and more that we just get party versions of proper games these days. Where have titles like Super Tennis, PES, 1080, Wave Race, F-Zero gone?

It can be done.

The Dreamcast never got EA support so Sega got a studio to produce there own NBA, NFL and NHL titles which were brilliant and rivaled if not bettered than the EA versions.

It can be done.

The Dreamcast never got EA support so Sega got a studio to produce there own NBA, NFL and NHL titles which were brilliant and rivaled if not bettered than the EA versions.

That sure worked out well for them.

at least Sega didnt sit there burying heads in the sand when 3rd parties like EA never supported the dreamcast.

They did this with a lot less cash then nintendo have right now.

Nintendo have no excuse. Where are the racing sims, arcade racers outside of mario kart, sport titles outside of mario themed games?

My mistake it must just be me that see's all those Nintendo titles not selling as Nintendo continue to ignore market trends.

Like it or not Nintendo need to get with the program and publish genre of games people actually want.

Releasing games like 1080 and F-zero would be great for Nintendo fans but I seriously doubt it would change much tbh.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo, for the first time since the N64, need to target western gamers if they want to succeed without having to risk everything on 'gimmicks'. I mean, the N64 with all it's huge problems sold a respectable amount in the U.S; it was marketed as a very powerful system and it got games like Goldeneye which led to 3rd parties bring games like Turok and Doom.

With the arrival of the Gamecube, Nintendo disbanded or got rid of many of their western developers and their aim since then has been to build a console for Japan, an area where the N64 never got any momentum.

As a Nintendo fan, I would love an F-Zero game and I would definitely LOVE to see Wave Race in HD, but if they are serious about making any future console they can't continue to ignore the entire western world.

Releasing games like 1080 and F-zero would be great for Nintendo fans but I seriously doubt it would change much tbh.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo, for the first time since the N64, need to target western gamers if they want to succeed without having to risk everything on 'gimmicks'. I mean, the N64 with all it's huge problems sold a respectable amount in the U.S; it was marketed as a very powerful system and it got games like Goldeneye which led to 3rd parties bring games like Turok and Doom.

With the arrival of the Gamecube, Nintendo disbanded or got rid of many of their western developers and their aim since then has been to build a console for Japan, an area where the N64 never got any momentum.

As a Nintendo fan, I would love an F-Zero game and I would definitely LOVE to see Wave Race in HD, but if they are serious about making any future console they can't continue to ignore the entire western world.

I dont think people are saying an F-Zero or Wave Race changes things but its all about having a varied lineup so games an arcade racer like F-Zero should be standard as well as those genre of games that western gamers like.

I dont think people are saying an F-Zero or Wave Race changes things but its all about having a varied lineup so games an arcade racer like F-Zero should be standard as well as those genre of games that western gamers like.

If they give me an online F-Zero with up to 32 players and I'll shut up :heh:

Also, I would love to see Nintendo embrace the eShop more as those types of titles are quicker and easier to develop. 2D Metroid, maybe a new Ice Climbers game...give em to a company like WayForward and get them on the eShop.

For me, the reason it would have been good to have WaveRace/1080/F-Zero/Star Fox is that it would have sent a totally different message. All four of those would have shown off the machine's graphical capabilities, as well as reassuring core gamers the Wii U was for them (at least as much as the 3DS). I sat down to E3 2012 hoping to see something at least as impressive as the Zelda demo from 2011, but there was nothing of the sort (and this was meant to be a more important E3 than the year before).

I really think E3 2012 was the moment that set alarm bells ringing. It's not that I want to keep moaning about it, it's just that WaveRace, F-Zero etc. are exactly what the console needed back then. By showing a preview of games like that, it would have made core gamers much more confident about the Wii U and totally changed the vibe around it.

I still think there are definitely gaps in the market once more that require filling and Nintendo have brand loyalty/retro craving gamers to assist them. Gaps that didn't exist when, say, 1080 Avalanche launched as EA had dropped SSX titles all over the place. Good systems offer breadth of software as well as quality. What we have now represents an opportunity for a company like Nintendo to create breadth. Instead we get more 2D platformers...

Not to be picky but I thought Goldeneye released after Doom and Turok on the N64? Nintendo selected the 'dream team' of developers like Midway/Rare/Paradigm giving them unprecedented access to their Silicon Graphics N64 dev tools - but Midway went bankrupt, Paradigm weren't bought up having proved their worth with great flight sim and F1 titles, and when Rare were sold, Nintendo had lost their allies. Just like they did with Factor5 and Silicon Knights. There is a pattern emerging here...

But what I don't understand is how Nintendo still have strong developers like Monster Games/Next Level Games/Monolith/Retro/NST yet appear to have a reduced portfolio. I don't want to appear as 'knee-jerk' but their console isn't selling. A call to arms is needed.

NST made the STUNNING Ridge Racer for the N64 and then Wave Race and 1080 for the GC. After Metroid Hunters, Project HAMMER was cancelled and they now do WiiU Chat, VC emulators and apps. Talk about wasted talent - especially when DigiPen graduates don't seem to be feeding into NST. Those students should have insanely close ties with NST - as one of the head staff founded DigiPen. Instead, companies like Valve secure the DigiPen talent.

Iwata talks about risk taking and having a separate identity but Nintendo don't seem to take the risks anymore. Where's the Eternal darknesses? Geists? Even Excite Trucks? When they saw Excitetruck push half a million they followed it up with Excitebits which only saw release in the US and sold half of that. Then it takes Operation Rainfall for them to release titles on a console with NO games in America. Things aren't right if that's the approach.

At least there's hope...long-time Nintendo advocate Alex Ward has left Criterion and started a new company teasing 'Project Zero'. I can dream it's F-Zero...right?

They appear so much more insular under Iwata that it's becoming embarrassing. ::shrug:

For me, the reason it would have been good to have WaveRace/1080/F-Zero/Star Fox is that it would have sent a totally different message. All four of those would have shown off the machine's graphical capabilities, as well as reassuring core gamers the Wii U was for them (at least as much as the 3DS). I sat down to E3 2012 hoping to see something at least as impressive as the Zelda demo from 2011, but there was nothing of the sort (and this was meant to be a more important E3 than the year before).

I really think E3 2012 was the moment that set alarm bells ringing. It's not that I want to keep moaning about it, it's just that WaveRace, F-Zero etc. are exactly what the console needed back then. By showing a preview of games like that, it would have made core gamers much more confident about the Wii U and totally changed the vibe around it.

This. A million times. I remember sitting their wondering what the hell I'd just seen. WiiU was DOA.

Edited by tapedeck

This. A million times. I remember sitting their wondering what the hell I'd just seen. WiiU was DOA.

What Reggie trying to convince the world that Batman Arkham City was infact not the same game as what was released on other consoles didnt make you believe lol

I still think there are definitely gaps in the market once more that require filling and Nintendo have brand loyalty/retro craving gamers to assist them. Gaps that didn't exist when, say, 1080 Avalanche launched as EA had dropped SSX titles all over the place. Good systems offer breadth of software as well as quality. What we have now represents an opportunity for a company like Nintendo to create breadth. Instead we get more 2D platformers...

Not to be picky but I thought Goldeneye released after Doom and Turok on the N64? Nintendo selected the 'dream team' of developers like Midway/Rare/Paradigm giving them unprecedented access to their Silicon Graphics N64 dev tools - but Midway went bankrupt, Paradigm weren't bought up having proved their worth with great flight sim and F1 titles, and when Rare were sold, Nintendo had lost their allies. Just like they did with Factor5 and Silicon Knights. There is a pattern emerging here...

Nintendo do not like dealing in M&A. They prefer to establish partnerships that allow the studio the autonomy they want, while not saddling Nintendo with the costs of running the studio directly. Factor 5 and Silicon Knights left because they didn't believe in the path that Nintendo were following with the Wii; they simply had different desires in life, feeling that their visions were better served by the PS360 consoles (and sadly paid the price that went along with it). If Nintendo had bought them, the staff would've simply walked anyway - making such a M&A move utterly pointless; that's the danger involved with M&A and why Nintendo would only do it if they were certain it was what the studio's staff would want (like with Monolith and Mobiclip).

Likewise, Nintendo did not buy Rare because they knew that the Stamper Bros were looking to get out of the business and that the studio was in turmoil, with staff bleeding left right and centre (remember that near enough the entire PD/GE team had left right at the end of PD's development).

But what I don't understand is how Nintendo still have strong developers like Monster Games/Next Level Games/Monolith/Retro/NST yet appear to have a reduced portfolio. I don't want to appear as 'knee-jerk' but their console isn't selling. A call to arms is needed.

They have a reduced portfolio because games take longer and longer to make as their hardware improves; and Nintendo are very conservative about expanding their studios staff capacity because it comes with the very strong risk of destroying the company culture of their developers (something which has happened in force to many other developers). Instead Nintendo utilise different methods other than sheer brute force of numbers in order to increase their production capacity, without damaging their development culture (which is why you've seen Nintendo rely much more on collaborative development and art asset outsourcing in the last 3 or so years)

NST made the STUNNING Ridge Racer for the N64 and then Wave Race and 1080 for the GC. After Metroid Hunters, Project HAMMER was cancelled and they now do WiiU Chat, VC emulators and apps. Talk about wasted talent - especially when DigiPen graduates don't seem to be feeding into NST. Those students should have insanely close ties with NST - as one of the head staff founded DigiPen. Instead, companies like Valve secure the DigiPen talent.

Yeah, NST has been a big waste. Supposedly a lot of that came from NOA's side though as they apparently pushed to "casualise" Project Hammer into the failed Wii Crush project (resulting in a big staff exodus). They also worked on a lot of other projects that never came to fruition (like those famous Wii Motorbike and Horseriding patents that you saw a few years back).

Iwata talks about risk taking and having a separate identity but Nintendo don't seem to take the risks anymore. Where's the Eternal darknesses? Geists? Even Excite Trucks? When they saw Excitetruck push half a million they followed it up with Excitebits which only saw release in the US and sold half of that. Then it takes Operation Rainfall for them to release titles on a console with NO games in America. Things aren't right if that's the approach.

Those parts fall under NOA, not Iwata and NCL themselves though...

They appear so much more insular under Iwata that it's becoming embarrassing. ::shrug:

It was under Iwata that Retro Studios was founded in its current form (after the Spangenberg scandal and the cleaning out of the studio - with roughly 100 staff members getting replaced) and that Nintendo established their relationships with Next Level Games, Monster Games, Warner Bros & Traveller's Tales, Freestyle Games and Ubisoft - as well as the acquisition of Mobiclip (now N.E.R.D).

They've done plenty of work with western development in recent years. The only reason why people keep parroting this is because of that stupid one sided Emily Rogers article which purposely ignored all of the stuff that Iwata HAS actually done during his tenure; in order to big up the Howard Lincoln era as if it was a golden age for Nintendo (never mind the fact that he was responsible for some of Nintendo's biggest mistakes, like the fight against Night Trap that nearly brought government censorship upon the industry and helped established Nintendo's "Kiddy" image that still haunts them to this day)

Edited by Dcubed