NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Playing Lego city undercover, I've had my Wii U freeze on me three times.. it just makes a loud continuous beep, the wii u becomes unresponsive. The game pad works.. at least I can use the TV remote element... but the wii u itself... nothing. The only fix is to hold the power button down to force a power down.

I kinda hoped it was a bug in the game, but just now I was playing splinter cell online, and the same thing happened.

Do I possibly have a dodgy Wii U? Or should I just ignore it and hope an update arrives and patches the issue???

Its coming up to Christmas, so really I' prefer not to send it back right now... I've played Lego city 37 hours - so about one crash every 12 hours or so, 4 hours of splinter cell, but that's been fine until I played online (so 1 minute = 1 crash)

I've played about 6 hours on deus ex and rayman... no problems there so far.

Yeah the Wii U crashes on me a lot. It has done it on the majority of my games. It appears to be normal.

Playing Lego city undercover, I've had my Wii U freeze on me three times.. it just makes a loud continuous beep, the wii u becomes unresponsive. The game pad works.. at least I can use the TV remote element... but the wii u itself... nothing. The only fix is to hold the power button down to force a power down.

I kinda hoped it was a bug in the game, but just now I was playing splinter cell online, and the same thing happened.

Do I possibly have a dodgy Wii U? Or should I just ignore it and hope an update arrives and patches the issue???

Its coming up to Christmas, so really I' prefer not to send it back right now... I've played Lego city 37 hours - so about one crash every 12 hours or so, 4 hours of splinter cell, but that's been fine until I played online (so 1 minute = 1 crash)

I've played about 6 hours on deus ex and rayman... no problems there so far.

Lego games are notoriously unstable. They're always known to freeze.

My Wii U has seldom frozen, but when it has, it was playing Lego City and Lego Marvel.

Unless it happens with every other game continually, it's fine

Yeah it happens to me every now and then in sonic racing!

And I'm too late! But you enjoy the code, man! 7 days would be wasted on me anyway, as I tend to only have people over once or twice a week!

Mine's only ever crashed on two games: LEGO City Undercover & NFS: Most Wanted.

NFS being pretty bad, especially when trying to go onto Miverse!

Mine crashed during the climactic cutscene of Wonderful 101 :indeed: graphics went all trippy for ten seconds, then a very loud BEEEEEEEEEEPPPPPP. Ruined the mood just a tad.

Does the Wii U still have the hard lock problem where you had to pull out the power cable to get it working again?

Does the Wii U still have the hard lock problem where you had to pull out the power cable to get it working again?

Yes, it still happens.

Yup. Had mine do this while playing Just Dance 2014 over the weekend.

I've only had freezing problems on two games so far:

Black Ops 2 - this is by far the worst game on the Wii U for issues like this, the game would freeze up looking for a lobby, when inviting friends and during online matches.

Need for Speed Most Wanted - really enjoyed the game, but it had a habit of just freezing. Had about it happen regularly.

Most games I have had no problem with - and I have 17 retail games, although I haven't even unwrapped three of them yet. But so far it's only the two that give me problems. I had a list of tips for the Wii which more or less carry over to the Wii U. Can't remember which thread they were in though!

To be fair, it's not like the Wii U is the only console to do this. You have no idea how many times my 360 crashed.

As long as it's not happening every hour with every game, you should be fine. It's just possibly poorly coded ones that do it.

To be fair, it's not like the Wii U is the only console to do this. You have no idea how many times my 360 crashed.

As long as it's not happening every hour with every game, you should be fine. It's just possibly poorly coded ones that do it.

While it's true that it happens on all consoles (even on my PC), it's not true it only happens on poorly coded games.

I've had it happen mostly with AC4, Miiverse and Mario 3D World.

Once or twice on NFS, AC3, Wii Sports, Fit, Lego City, Nintendoland, etc...

So it seems more of a console-based issue, at least in my case...?

It's not to bad, happens a lot more on my other consoles and PC.

While it's true that it happens on all consoles (even on my PC), it's not true it only happens on poorly coded games.

I've had it happen mostly with AC4, Miiverse and Mario 3D World.

Once or twice on NFS, AC3, Wii Sports, Fit, Lego City, Nintendoland, etc...

So it seems more of a console-based issue, at least in my case...?

It's not to bad, happens a lot more on my other consoles and PC.

Good lord...that's insane. I've never had it that bad

I must have a lucky console. I've had a few crashes on NFS, but nothing else at all.

Same, I have had very few. Since the Spring Update, I've had 2...and they were both on Lego Marvel

Off the top of my head i've had system freezes on Monster Hunter, ZombiU, Black Ops 2, Nintendoland, AC3, Just Dance 2014 and Lego City.

I thought the freezing problem was sorted after the last update, but then it happened to me last week loading Miiverse :(

The freezing is due (in part or in large part) from the fact the games all load directly from the disk when playing. There are no installs, thus a large amount of data is being streamed directly from the disk itself. This creates a number of problems - especially in online or open world games.

I'm in Portugal at the moment and a store here, BOX, is currently selling Wii U Premium for €100.

Took all of my power not to buy a second system for the hell of it, wow.

The freezing is due (in part or in large part) from the fact the games all load directly from the disk when playing. There are no installs, thus a large amount of data is being streamed directly from the disk itself. This creates a number of problems - especially in online or open world games.

Yeah, I would actually love to have the option to install the games on the Wii U. I always use the option on the 360 as it saves wear and tear on the hardware.

Hopefully they implement such a system in an update next year.

Just do like the 360 did and need the disc to run the game, then the disc will stop being read. Job done.

I'm in Portugal at the moment and a store here, BOX, is currently selling Wii U Premium for €100.

Took all of my power not to buy a second system for the hell of it, wow.

Would be tempting to buy and sell it for that price...

Yeah, I would actually love to have the option to install the games on the Wii U. I always use the option on the 360 as it saves wear and tear on the hardware.

and yet you refuse to go digital haha

(like me :))

I havent had a freeze in awhile. Had once on ZombiU in first week but never again. Had a few on Black Ops 2 but traded that in last March. Had one on Wonderful101 (sans beep) but never on NintendoLand, WindWaker, Monster Hunter or Deus Ex ..... *touch wood*

Edited by Mokong