NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

I do not have the money to throw around on games that I might enjoy.

I don't understand this...surely any game you have not played might not be enjoyable to you after your purchase it? That is the risk of any game without a demo.

I'm starting to see why only endless Nintendo sequels like Mario Kart 8/9 seem to do particularly well on Nintendo's consoles now. Games where you know exactly what you're getting. Binding of Isaac is super cheap relative to most games, well worth a punt.

I also now feel like you can have too much to play, even to the point where it affects your enjoyment of what you already have :smile:

Agree with this 100%. I got a bonus last month from work so decided to purchase loads of things I'd missed out on. Got Bayonetta double pack, DK: Tropical Freeze, One Piece Red and Wonderful 101. I've now got the problem where I don't have time to play them all properly so am just playing each one for an hour or so each day meaning I'm not really committing to any of them.

It did for me but I enjoy the current Nintendo rather than Nintendo of the past. I don't actually think that the kind of games that Nintendo now release have changed that much. It's just the maybe yours and others tastes have changed.

I sometimes wonder as such, but then when I consider it I really don't think so. Changed since when? When I was a kid? I got stuck with what I opted for, 1-2 game a year policy. It was starting with GC but then more so Wii when I was older and more financially able to buy more than I had previously - I was happy with offerings then and, imo, made a number of purchases for the system(mind you, I've always been a little limited on that front, like I'm not a £40 game a month kind of guy or anything). From Wii to WiiU - what would have happened so much to change me? Really, I think there's a difference in that the wealth of content and diversity just isn't really there. New experiences? A lot of what WiiU seems to do in my eyes is things that Nintendo have done before(so yes, you're right, the games haven't changed that much! Maybe that's the problem). I played NSMBU recently - it's an excellent game, and a very good Mario, it does it all very well I think on reflection(though I've yet to finish and complete it) and maybe it'll make the memories for the new generation that the older Marios(Land+World+All Stars) made for me, but the problem is...I already have those memories, and I have, in many ways, already played that game(see NSMB, NSMBWii, potentially NSMB2 then STILL the old Marios too).

Duuuuud. You can't say that. :indeed:

Anyway, no comments about The Binding of Isaac? One of the best indie games in recent years coming to Wii U and nobody cares? Shame on you.

Rogue Legacy seems more like the type of game that would do better on a Nintendo system as opposed to Isaac. Both are highly rated but the content on Isaac doesn't really go with Nintendo's image.

Whilst getting off of WiiU somewhat - they're both good games. I have both on Steam/PC and for me, I found Binding of Isaac a bit too unforgiving that I eventually gave up on it - Rogue Legacy however is a great game for the fact that it IS forgiving(but still quite hard, as it were) and I think it'd be a great fit on WiiU. I played it quite a bit on my PC(though not anywhere near enough to make tons of progress) - that 'one more go' sort of aspect of it was really addictive. The fact you get something tangible from playing through(depending how much risk you decide to take) plus the random factor - it's a really cracking game for either long or short plays, and if it was on my WiiU I'd probs have played it lots more(stopped on PC due to moving house, and I've never really set it back up).

I do not have the money to throw around on games that I might enjoy.

That's why a game needs to convince me that it's worth my money.

I'll happily give it a try if there was a way for me to try it for free, but unless that happens or it sells itself well, I'll give it a miss.

Omg wat! Why hasn't @Ronnie called you a tight-arse yet?!?!

For what it's worth, I think you're probably making the right choice on it - what's even the price of Binding for WiiU?

Omg wat! Why hasn't @Glen\-i isn't whinging about the cost of a game, calling it a rip-off and demanding it be much cheaper. And by 'a' game, I mean every game. Glen-i isn't the one who threw a hissy fit because Shovel Knight dared to run a 4 quid off sale two or three months after he purchased it, and saying how he'll never support those developers again because of it. Glen-i isn't an entitled childish fanboy who wants everything for nothing, and who calls a game like Affordable Space Adventures a rip-off, even though he has no idea what kind of experience and content is in the game. He's just saying that he can't afford a game that hasn't convinced him, fair enough !

I don't understand this...surely any game you have not played might not be enjoyable to you after your purchase it? That is the risk of any game without a demo.

I'm starting to see why only endless Nintendo sequels like Mario Kart 8/9 seem to do particularly well on Nintendo's consoles now. Games where you know exactly what you're getting. Binding of Isaac is super cheap relative to most games, well worth a punt.

I understand where you're coming from.

Let me try and use an example of some similarly priced games.

I saw the trailers for Shovel Knight and the first Dillon's Rolling Western game and I just kinda knew I'd like them, y'know?

They're both very different games, but I got the same kind of feeling.

I look at Binding of Isaac, and I don't get the same kind of impression.

That in no way makes it a bad game, of course.

But after years of having to be very selective about games, I've learned to trust my instinct. It's 95% of the time, on the money.

The last absolute stinker of a game I actually bought was Sonic Chronicles. (5 quid, second-hand, traded it back for a tenner, still felt ripped off)

To put it in other words, in response to @Rummy

Price is not the issue, what I've seen of the game is not enough to convince me to part with my limited funds.

If I liked what I saw, I'd snap it up, regardless of price.

Edited by Glen-i

Fair enough.

Here is a demo of the original game (not rebirth) that might give you a taster, although it's pretty limited.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/581168

He'll probably end up playing it eventually anyway. 99% of the time, I'm the one who ends up introducing him to new stuff anyway and I'm looking forward to getting BoI on Wii U ;) (though he was the one who convinced me to give Monster Hunter a go back when MH3 came out on Wii, so he does have that under his belt at least!)

For the record, I have played the original version of BoI on PC and didn't like it because it was running in Flash and just didn't feel good at all. I've been waiting for the obviously inevitable Wii U/3DS version of BoI Rebirth for a while ;)

My mate got a Wii U yesterday but it appears it knackered already. He tries to set it up but when it gets to the connection test it throws up an error code ( 103 4199 ) and then crashes the console and GamePad. He can't even change any settings because he can't get past this point. He phoned up the helpline but apart from telling him to turn off all wifi devices, they were little help. Poor guy was looking forward to playing DK64 as well. :(

My mate got a Wii U yesterday but it appears it knackered already. He tries to set it up but when it gets to the connection test it throws up an error code ( 103 4199 ) and then crashes the console and GamePad. He can't even change any settings because he can't get past this point. He phoned up the helpline but apart from telling him to turn off all wifi devices, they were little help. Poor guy was looking forward to playing DK64 as well. :(

What kind of router does he have? It sounds more likely that it's the console but you never know.

Also I don't know but is this of any help? (just found it following a quick google search)

http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do

What kind of router does he have? It sounds more likely that it's the console but you never know.

Also I don't know but is this of any help? (just found it following a quick google search)

http://kotaku.com/5961600/if-your-wii-u-wont-connect-to-your-wifi-router-heres-what-to-do

He has a Sky router.

As far as I know he can't actually change any settings as it won't let him get that far. I've told him to just take it back.

Because @Glen\-i isn't whinging about the cost of a game, calling it a rip-off and demanding it be much cheaper. And by 'a' game, I mean every game. Glen-i isn't the one who threw a hissy fit because Shovel Knight dared to run a 4 quid off sale two or three months after he purchased it, and saying how he'll never support those developers again because of it. Glen-i isn't an entitled childish fanboy who wants everything for nothing, and who calls a game like Affordable Space Adventures a rip-off, even though he has no idea what kind of experience and content is in the game. He's just saying that he can't afford a game that hasn't convinced him, fair enough !

So it still definitely isn't personal with Wii, right?

At least I know you can understand the concept of someone not wanting to spend money on something due to limitation of funds - I'll bear it in mind next time the 'just buy another console' argument comes up, especially given another console is just a tad pricier than a single game like Binding of Isaac.

Which btw, does anyone know the price off of the top of their head for Binding of Isaac WiiU?

Price is not the issue, what I've seen of the game is not enough to convince me to part with my limited funds.

If I liked what I saw, I'd snap it up, regardless of price.

Tbf I understood where you were coming from(and even said it's probably the wise choice) but I wanted to highlight how easily people have turned to saying 'Get another console if WiiU doesn't suit you!' in this thread, but to avoid a single game due to cost/appeal seems to go by fine.

Though I would dispute that saying price isn't an issue then mentioning parting with limited funds is essentially saying price is an issue. If it ended up at 10% of its price, would you buy it? There's a cutoff for everything/everyone(even if that's actually 0%) but yeah, I agree with your thinking and having seen your posts - I don't know if Binding would be for you. It certainly wouldn't be for me at more than £5-10 on WiiU, and that's even still pushing it.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Which btw, does anyone know the price off of the top of their head for WiiU?

Argos are doing the Wind Waker console with Mario & Sonic at the Olympics for £199 at the moment.

He has a Sky router.

As far as I know he can't actually change any settings as it won't let him get that far. I've told him to just take it back.

Was it a brand new WiiU too? Just wondering what sort of deal he got on it? Haven't followed the prices at all lately, but my mate's considering getting one soon for Smash so bargains may be useful!

Argos are doing the Wind Waker console with Mario & Sonic at the Olympics for £199 at the moment.

Ah! You've answered my question before I asked it! My last post was meant to be for the price of Binding of Isaac on WiiU.

He has a Sky router.

Another search led me back to here...

http://www.n-europe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37225

But we'll see if swapping over for a new Wii U sorts it, if not then it might be worth trying the USB Lan adapter. : peace:

Which btw, does anyone know the price off of the top of their head for Binding of Isaac WiiU?

Ah! You've answered my question before I asked it! My last post was meant to be for the price of Binding of Isaac on WiiU.

It's going to be $15 when it launches in the States sometime before E3 in June which usually converts straight to €15 so in Sterling probably about £11.

Though I would dispute that saying price isn't an issue then mentioning parting with limited funds is essentially saying price is an issue. If it ended up at 10% of its price, would you buy it? There's a cutoff for everything/everyone(even if that's actually 0%) but yeah, I agree with your thinking and having seen your posts - I don't know if Binding would be for you. It certainly wouldn't be for me at more than £5-10 on WiiU, and that's even still pushing it.

I suppose if it was uber-cheap, curiosity would win over at some point.

But @Dcubed is getting the WiiU version, so I'll just try that.

If I like it enough, I'll buy it full price.

If not, then no sale will make me buy it, simple as.

Some little git has blocked and censored me on Miiverse! I was under the assumption that Nintendo's mods were in charge of the posts, but you actually have authority over your own "threads" - you can censor someone else for any reason whatsoever. Now he can say stuff about me in his thread and I don't have a right to reply (I can't even see it now) - doesn't seem like a fair system.

Some little git has blocked and censored me on Miiverse! I was under the assumption that Nintendo's mods were in charge of the posts, but you actually have authority over your own "threads" - you can censor someone else for any reason whatsoever. Now he can say stuff about me in his thread and I don't have a right to reply (I can't even see it now) - doesn't seem like a fair system.

That's no different to how it works on Twitter or Facebook...

And that makes it ok?

Twitter, maybe, but not Facebook. All your posts are visible on Miiverse, and anyone can comment on them (unless you block someone, but that's pretty childish just because they disagree with you), making me think it was a public forum. Anyway, that's me told. :indeed:

And that makes it ok?

No, but that's the best he could come up with on short notice. :heh:

You Gotta Believe - Nintendo Voice Chat

What Could Save Nintendo's E3? - Game Scoop!