NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

Do they really get multiple releases a week? I don't believe so

Multiple releases a week maybe not (it varies per week, some weeks they do), but they get quite a lot over the months.

Edited by Sheikah

Any idea how many XBOs have been sold worldwide? Is Wii U up to 10 million?

Any idea how many XBOs have been sold worldwide? Is Wii U up to 10 million?

According to VGChartz Wii U has sold 9.3M and Xbox One 11.6M. I don't know how reliable (if at all) that site is though.

According to VGChartz Wii U has sold 9.3M and Xbox One 11.6M. I don't know how reliable (if at all) that site is though.

For all the abuse the Wii U gets in terms of sales, those numbers really aren't that far apart. I'm actually amazed by those numbers. I know Nintendo had a year head start, but really the consoles will have sold far more in their first year than their second, so Xbox probably isn't going to have a huge boost in sales these next 12 months. What will Xbox be at next year, 15M? Compared to Wii U's 10M now? Meh.

For all the abuse the Wii U gets in terms of sales, those numbers really aren't that far apart. I'm actually amazed by those numbers. I know Nintendo had a year head start, but really the consoles will have sold far more in their first year than their second, so Xbox probably isn't going to have a huge boost in sales these next 12 months.

Attach rate is the biggest problem though. They may have shifted some units relative to XBO but when you look at the charts, just nothing stays there. It's a multifactorial problem - people losing interest and not enough (and diverse) games coming out for it.

I've generally wondered the same but I find it hard to actually find very many sources that provide platform LTD sales! Ofc, this is going off a bit into the more General Sales thread territory.

For all the abuse the Wii U gets in terms of sales, those numbers really aren't that far apart. I'm actually amazed by those numbers. I know Nintendo had a year head start, but really the consoles will have sold far more in their first year than their second, so Xbox probably isn't going to have a huge boost in sales these next 12 months. What will Xbox be at next year, 15M? Compared to Wii U's 10M now? Meh.

Given I saw you compared 8 to 4 as a big deal, but won't compare 15 MILLION to 10 million as anything too notable, I find that quite amusing. I also think it's presumptuous to assume the competition will slow that much(which I don't want to get too much into here) - but what about Nintendo's rate of slowing too? What do we think WiiU will have made by next year? What if it hasn't even made 15M itself?

Attach rate is the biggest problem though. They may have shifted some units relative to XBO but when you look at the charts, just nothing stays there. It's a multifactorial problem - people losing interest and not enough (and diverse) games coming out for it.

Not sure if you understand what 'attach rate' means.

The Wii U has excellent attach rates. Considering it's sold only 9.3 million units it has a great attach rate! Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU have both sold over 4 million units. That's incredible. Put it into perspective that The Last of Us sold 5.46 million units on the PS3, the attach rates on the Wii U are healthy to say the least.

It can't. People are buying the games for those consoles (and buying the consoles to play those games). They're happy with it. And there's quite a lot of games coming for those other consoles.

Again, going back to his comments as an analyst, he's spot on. There's maybe 1 perceived 'big' game coming for Wii U, and even then that's pretty niche. Even if you like the other games, they don't 'plug the hole' relative to the other consoles for most people.

If it's based on number of releases per console then yeah there is no doubt that the other consoles have the lions share.

After all is said and done I would rather have quality games that appeal to me over a quantity of games that don't.

There are other factors to consider such as the price difference and the fact that both the PS4 and Xbox One are essentially the thing. The fact that the Xbox One has outsold the Wii U despite all of these things is quite telling.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

This is true too. I remember that Wii posted some sales charts in the General Sales thread(where much of discussion could go!) recently and it struck me that ALBW was charting in individual formats whereas WiiU title was. As I said there/then a 15-month old 3DS title was charting better than any WiiU title. Ridiculous!

EDIT: So I confused myself a little. ALBW wasn't in the top 40 general whereas Smash was. ALBW was beating Smash on 3DS though, and unless the 3DS version was doing absolutely terribly I'd presume ALBW was selling better than some of the WiiU titles(none of which were in top 40 except Smash and cross-platform titles). Omega Ruby had charted in the general 40 however, and was only one place ahead of ALBW in the 3DS charts - post/charts in question from beginning of march.

EDITEDIT:I can't read, I was right first time.

Edited by Rummy

Not sure if you understand what 'attach rate' means.

The Wii U has excellent attach rates. Considering it's sold only 9.3 million units it has a great attach rate! Mario Kart 8 and NSMBU have both sold over 4 million units. That's incredible. Put it into perspective that The Last of Us sold 5.46 million units on the PS3, the attach rates on the Wii U are healthy to say the least.

Yeah, my bad. What I actually meant was that not enough people are often buying games on it, as opposed to individual games. Which yeah, probably means more that there's not enough games actually on the console as there's not enough games to continuously chart. That again, pretty much confirms what the guy is saying with regards to the console being 'barren' (at least to most consumers' eyes, and if you looked at the charts).

As someone pointed out, Wii U has sold almost as many units as the Xbox One, yet few games are continuously sold on the system:

tOwelqQ.png

I was basically just pointing out that even though the Wii U may have sold not too many fewer units than the Xbox One, ultimately it doesn't mean much if the charts look like this on a weekly basis.

Edited by Sheikah

The Wii U sold 9.2 million units as of 31st December 2014. Those figures came directly from Nintendo issued in their last quarterly results in January.

The company confirms it has sold just 9.2 million Wii U consoles since the system's launch in 2012. Breaking that down, Nintendo saw sales of 1.91 million Wii U systems between October and December of last year, versus 1.95 million unit sales the year before during that same period. Nintendo has only managed to sell 3.03 million consoles since April of last year.

This is a huge downgrade when compared to Nintendo's original financial projections for the year. At the start of last year, Nintendo predicted sales of 9 million Wii U systems by March 31, 2014. The company would go on to change its sales projections, downgrading its forecast to 2.8 million units for the financial year.

The largely mixed financial report, which covers the nine months leading up to Dec. 31, 2014, notes this drop in sales is across the board: the company saw an 11.3 percent drop in hardware and software compared to the same period last year.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/28/7928919/nintendo-wii-u-sold-total-2012-fiscal-results

Unless something crawls out of the woodwork at E3 or there's a price drop in time for Christmas I don't see any game this year that will boost Wii U sales in the same way that Smash and MK8 helped last year. It'll be a long time before the Wii U reaches 15 million units sold.

Edited by Wii

Mario Party 10 made 4th place in the charts? Wow, surprising and impressive. Especially for a turd of a game as Wii so maturely called it.

I've generally wondered the same but I find it hard to actually find very many sources that provide platform LTD sales! Ofc, this is going off a bit into the more General Sales thread territory.

Given I saw you compared 8 to 4 as a big deal, but won't compare 15 MILLION to 10 million as anything too notable, I find that quite amusing. I also think it's presumptuous to assume the competition will slow that much(which I don't want to get too much into here) - but what about Nintendo's rate of slowing too? What do we think WiiU will have made by next year? What if it hasn't even made 15M itself?

15 to 10 is notable obviously but the difference is nowhere near big enough to justify all the chat about the Wii U tanking. That's of course assuming Xbox reaches 15 million next year.

Problem is the WiiU games don't seem to hold momentum as well as games on other platforms are. Pretty much anything will chart in its first week or two, but the real question is do they the have staying power?

Same. I mean hell, I just started Super Metroid. Old game for some but never played it before. VC gives the console more life than it may have had beforehand.

And you call yourself a Nintendo fan? Where have you been? For shame. :nono: Anyway you're in for a treat because you're only about to play the greatest game ever made. :)

The same could be said about the other consoles though. Regardless of how many games that release on those systems, if you don't care for the genres they are representing, then those titles are meaningless to that person.

As it stands, I really have no issue with the rest of the years line up for the Wii U. Out of all the consoles it has the most games that appeal to me on the horizon. I'm pretty up to date with the retail releases but I have a LOT to play catch up on the VC.

^^^This!

I have a few retail releases still to do, but I'm loving the GBA VC. It's the first time I've played Metroid Fusion and I got Zero Mission this weekend, it's great!

I've never been into handheld gaming, so being able to play GBA games is a real bonus.

So far, I don't feel as though I've missed out on anything by not owning a PS4 or an XBO.

15 to 10 is notable obviously but the difference is nowhere near big enough to justify all the chat about the Wii U tanking. That's of course assuming Xbox reaches 15 million next year.

According to Nintendo's own forcast the Wii U has tanked hard. I've lost count the amount of times they have revised forecasts to a lower number and still failed to hit the target.

Remember Jan 2014 Iwata slashed the forecast for year end of sales from 9m to 2.8 mil. That was a huge drop, nearly 70%

The original forecast for the Wii U was sales of 5.5 million consoles and 24 million games. Again they only sold 3.45 mil consoles and shifted 13.42 million Wii U games.

I don't see how anyone can say otherwise that the Wii U has been nothing but a commercial flop and majorly tanked.

Same. I mean hell, I just started Super Metroid. Old game for some but never played it before. VC gives the console more life than it may have had beforehand.

What.

This is a joke, right? Please tell me you've at least played Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 before?!

According to Nintendo's own forcast the Wii U has tanked hard. I've lost count the amount of times they have revised forecasts to a lower number and still failed to hit the target.

Remember Jan 2014 Iwata slashed the forecast for year end of sales from 9m to 2.8 mil. That was a huge drop, nearly 70%

The original forecast for the Wii U was sales of 5.5 million consoles and 24 million games. Again they only sold 3.45 mil consoles and shifted 13.42 million Wii U games.

I don't see how anyone can say otherwise that the Wii U has been nothing but a commercial flop and majorly tanked.

Of course it's a commercial flop and has tanked. I'm just surprised that for all the fanboy wanking the Xbox and PS4 get they're not exactly trouncing it. I honestly expected them to have sold 4 or 5 times the number.

I post the UK charts every week and prior to Mario Party 10 coming out I lost track of how many weeks the Wii U went without a game in the Top 40. It was definitely 5 weeks, maybe 6 weeks. And it's not just the Wii U, on the whole, the 3DS hasn't been great either.

What.

This is a joke, right? Please tell me you've at least played Metroid Prime, Ocarina of Time and Super Mario 64 before?!

Of course I have, but I never had Super Metroid on the SNES and never got round to getting or playing it at any later time.

Because I've been playing and enjoying the GBA ones on the Wii U VC (had Zero Mission on my GBA but never Fusion), I figured "what the hell". I bought it for 30p when it first came and didn't touch it.

I'm not really that huge a fan of the Metroid Prime series though. The save system kills it. That save system works fine on 2D games, but not on 3D. It needs auto save or at least save whenever you want.

Of course it's a commercial flop and has tanked. I'm just surprised that for all the fanboy wanking the Xbox and PS4 get they're not exactly trouncing it. I honestly expected them to have sold 4 or 5 times the number.

I'm not sure what you're saying here? PS4 is selling faster than the PS2 was, but you think it could do so much more (in the region of several fold increases over Wii U)? Maybe in time, but cah'maan.

PS4 has sold double the number of Wii U units and has been out a year less. You don't think that's trouncing it?

I'm just surprised that for all the fanboy wanking the Xbox and PS4 get they're not exactly trouncing it. I honestly expected them to have sold 4 or 5 times the number.

Really? You expected the PS4 and Xbox One to sell 50 million in a year? So they would outsell the PS2 in a little more than 3 years?

Come on.

^^^This!

I have a few retail releases still to do, but I'm loving the GBA VC. It's the first time I've played Metroid Fusion and I got Zero Mission this weekend, it's great!

I've never been into handheld gaming, so being able to play GBA games is a real bonus.

So far, I don't feel as though I've missed out on anything by not owning a PS4 or an XBO.

You've missed out on an insane amount of classics not buying handhelds. You not tempted to buy a 3DS? There'd be no exaggeration, close 100 titles on DS and 3DS you could buy for it that are incredibly good.

This I believe was the Wii U's most successful week ever in the UK Top 40 in terms of numbers of games in the charts.

BXDzCTE.png

4 games. Will we ever see the likes again? I don't believe so.