NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Wii U General Discussion

BBC Video Games Expert Says Nintendo Will Probably Abandon Wii U Fairly Soon

Guy Cocker, who is listed as the Video Games Expert at the BBC, is confident that Nintendo will abandon the Wii U fairly soon. Cocker was asked by the BBC what he thought about the delay of The Legend of Zelda on Wii U. He mentioned that this year’s Wii U release schedule looks completely barren compared to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 now, but he does appreciate that Nintendo doesn’t release the games until they’re confident they are ready. Here’s what he said.

“Zelda is Nintendo’s biggest franchise along with Mario, and the previous Zelda games have been some of the most revered and highest rated games in history.”

He says it’s good that Nintendo is taking its time: “As a gamer I kind of applaud the fact that Nintendo does take risks and put games back if they are not ready.”

But Guy admits the delay leaves the release schedule for Wii U games this year looking “completely barren – there’s a big hole which isn’t being filled like it is on Xbox One and PS4.”

Guy says: “The Wii U is a failure in terms of the eyes of investors and the market in general. It’s not sold anywhere near the amount of units the PS4 and Xbox One.

“Nintendo are repositioning the business so they can get bigger on mobile and bring its titles to mobile.

“By way of announcing its next console already its kind of admitted the Wii U is a failure at this point. I think it will abandon the Wii U fairly soon.”

http://mynintendonews.com/2015/03/30/bbc-video-games-expert-says-nintendo-will-probably-abandon-wii-u-fairly-soon/

Zelda delay: Is this another nail in the Wii U's coffin?

There's so much wrong with that article I dunno where to even begin.

Indeed. I can't believe how off it is.

At least they have the guy from IGN, who clearly actually knows games, to provide counterpoint to the BBC's idiot

Edited by Serebii

Apart from

“Nintendo are repositioning the business so they can get bigger on mobile and bring its titles to mobile."

which makes it sound like Nintendo are going mobile only there's nothing wrong with it? The original BBC article is better to read. The mynintendonews article only selected certain quotes and doesn't give the counter argument from IGN's games editor Daniel Krupa.

Apart from

which makes it sound like Nintendo are going mobile only there's nothing wrong with it? The original BBC article is better to read. The mynintendonews article only selected certain quotes and doesn't give the counter argument from IGN's games editor Daniel Krupa.

Easy

But Guy admits the delay leaves the release schedule for Wii U games this year looking "completely barren - there's a big hole which isn't being filled like it is on Xbox One and PS4."

Completely barren? Wrong. Getting a title every month or so. Not barren. Sure, no third party stuff, but it's not barren

Guy says: "The Wii U is a failure in terms of the eyes of investors and the market in general. It's not sold anywhere near the amount of units the PS4 and Xbox One.

While it is a failure in eyes of investors, Xbox One has not sold much more than it.

"By way of announcing its next console already its kind of admitted the Wii U is a failure at this point. I think it will abandon the Wii U fairly soon."

They didn't announce their next console.

I would have went in more in depth earlier but had to shoot off for work. here's my biggest issues with the article.

But Guy admits the delay leaves the release schedule for Wii U games this year looking “completely barren – there’s a big hole which isn’t being filled like it is on Xbox One and PS4.”

There's some great games coming to the platform this year and more than likely more to be announced. Whether these games appeal to you is a separate issue but the release schedule doesn't look that barren.

As for the big hole, ND announced that Uncharted was to be delayed until 2016. That was Sonys big game for the end of the year and as of yet there is no replacement. There's no doubt in my mind that both Nintendo and Sony will have games lined up to fill the gap.

“By way of announcing its next console already its kind of admitted the Wii U is a failure at this point. I think it will abandon the Wii U fairly soon.”

Iwata had to announced the NX otherwise people would have said Nintendo are leaving the home console business. Of course this didn't stop certain media outlets from saying this anyway. Of course with it's announcement you now have people saying that the Wii U is dead. Iwata can't win. :D

Easy

Completely barren? Wrong. Getting a title every month or so. Not barren. Sure, no third party stuff, but it's not barren

While it is a failure in eyes of investors, Xbox One has not sold much more than it.

They didn't announce their next console.

Depends what you're into. I think it's barren. Only Xenoblade Chronicles X is of interest so far for me. Every month "or so"? I've been over this. No real 3rd party support and certainly no major games coming from them.

Xbox1 is a year younger than Wii U.

Nintendo have left themselves open rightly or wrongly to this kind of speculation by being so ambiguous. I believe the NX is a new console.

The Wii U had a year head start though, something that people tend to forget when comparing the numbers of the two platforms.

Not that I agree with the guy, but two things:

1) He said "barren" compared to competitors. It's obviously based on how you define "barren", but it could be argued that what we know of the year so far (although it won't be everything released, I know), the Wii U's release lineup is much more sparse than the competitors due to the competitors being able to rely on 3rd parties to plug gaps.

2) Is this compared to where the Wii U was 16 months into its life, or are you comparing the sales of consoles with a year between their releases?

The Wii U had a year head start though, something that people tend to forget when comparing the numbers of the two platforms.

Very true, but in numbers it's about even for Wii U and XBO last I checked

Not that I agree with the guy, but two things:

1) He said "barren" compared to competitors. It's obviously based on how you define "barren", but it could be argued that what we know of the year so far (although it won't be everything released, I know), the Wii U's release lineup is much more sparse than the competitors due to the competitors being able to rely on 3rd parties to plug gaps.

2) Is this compared to where the Wii U was 16 months into its life, or are you comparing the sales of consoles with a year between their releases?

He said completely barren, though, not just barren compared to competitors. If he did, then I'd have left it alone as that is a statement, but completely barren is an absolute and as an absolute, it is erroneous.

Very true, but in numbers it's about even for Wii U and XBO last I checked

Yeah, they aren't far off but a years head start and the price difference between the two actually makes the Wii U come off lot worse.

Iwata had to announced the NX otherwise people would have said Nintendo are leaving the home console business. Of course this didn't stop certain media outlets from saying this anyway. Of course with it's announcement you now have people saying that the Wii U is dead. Iwata can't win. :D

People were saying the Wii U was dead long before the NX announcement. As the BBC's articles title suggests it's just another nail in the coffin.

He said completely barren, though, not just barren compared to competitors. If he did, then I'd have left it alone as that is a statement, but completely barren is an absolute and as an absolute, it is erroneous.

It's interpretation, be careful with throwing around "erroneous".

The full quote is (emphasis mine):

"completely barren - there's a big hole which isn't being filled like it is on Xbox One and PS4."

No, it is not completely barren in the sense there are no games out but it's clearly a non-literal phrase (in the same way people say "I'm starving" or "I'm boiling", they're not literal) but the second half of the sentence is what is key.

People were saying the Wii U was dead long before the NX announcement.

That is true. The console has had a rough life. :D

It's not a completely biased article against Nintendo. Immediately following the "barren" statement, it's rebuffed by Daniel Krupa saying there's Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker and Splatoon. It's got 2 people giving their opinion from each side of the divide. Guy does say it was the right decision to delay the game and applauds Nintendo for taking risks.

It's frustrating seeing 1080 coming to VC. Why don't Nintendo do a Sony and remaster some of their N64 library. These were some of the best games ever made and worthy of an update and I'm assuming a graphical overhaul is fairly simple and quick process compared to building a game from scratch.

It's not a completely biased article against Nintendo. Immediately following the "barren" statement, it's rebuffed by Daniel Krupa saying there's Xenoblade Chronicles X, Mario Maker and Splatoon. It's got 2 people giving their opinion from each side of the divide. Guy does say it was the right decision to delay the game and applauds Nintendo for taking risks.

Ok? I never said otherwise

Ok? I never said otherwise

Sorry, I didn't see your edit.

At least they have the guy from IGN, who clearly actually knows games, to provide counterpoint to the BBC's idiot

All I seen earlier was

I don't know if I'd call him an idiot. He says as much positive as negative. You mightn't like it but a lot of it is the truth.

Daniel is more hopeful: "I wouldn't use the word dying; we'll have to see what the next few years hold for the platform."

I'd argue that statement. No way is the Wii U going to be around in 3 years. It likely won't be around in half that time.

Edited by Wii

I would have went in more in depth earlier but had to shoot off for work. here's my biggest issues with the article.

There's some great games coming to the platform this year and more than likely more to be announced. Whether these games appeal to you is a separate issue but the release schedule doesn't look that barren.

If you look at that particular comment he made, I completely agree. Ultimately this isn't a question of "personally, do you or do you not prefer the games coming?", it's an assessment of what most people feel about this year's lineup relative to the games coming for the other consoles. Most people will look at the lineup for this year and feel close to nothing about it. And that feeling will manifest in lackluster sales and takeup of the console.

He's an analyst so he speaks about the bigger picture and how Nintendo fit in; not whether he personally likes the games that are coming.

If you look at that particular comment he made, I completely agree. Ultimately this isn't a question of "personally, do you or do you not prefer the games coming?", it's an assessment of what most people feel about this year's lineup relative to the games coming for the other consoles. Most people will look at the lineup for this year and feel close to nothing about it. And that feeling will manifest in lackluster sales and takeup of the console.

He's an analyst so he speaks about the bigger picture and how Nintendo fit in; not whether he personally likes the games that are coming.

The same could be said about the other consoles though. Regardless of how many games that release on those systems, if you don't care for the genres they are representing, then those titles are meaningless to that person.

As it stands, I really have no issue with the rest of the years line up for the Wii U. Out of all the consoles it has the most games that appeal to me on the horizon. I'm pretty up to date with the retail releases but I have a LOT to play catch up on the VC.

The same could be said about the other consoles though. Regardless of how many games that release on those systems, if you don't care for the genres they are representing, then those titles are meaningless to that person.

As it stands, I really have no issue with the rest of the years line up for the Wii U. Out of all the consoles it has the most games that appeal to me on the horizon. I'm pretty up to date with the retail releases but I have a LOT to play catch up on the VC.

Same. I mean hell, I just started Super Metroid. Old game for some but never played it before. VC gives the console more life than it may have had beforehand.

The same could be said about the other consoles though.

It can't. People are buying the games for those consoles (and buying the consoles to play those games). They're happy with it. And there's quite a lot of games coming for those other consoles.

Again, going back to his comments as an analyst, he's spot on. There's maybe 1 perceived 'big' game coming for Wii U, and even then that's pretty niche. Even if you like the other games, they don't 'plug the hole' relative to the other consoles for most people.

Edited by Sheikah

I think its less about taste in games and more about pure numbers. A game or so a month (if that) compared to multiple releases a week could easily be considered barren.

I think its less about taste in games and more about pure numbers. A game or so a month (if that) compared to multiple releases a week could easily be considered barren.

Do they really get multiple releases a week? I don't believe so