NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
bob

Cycle commuting?

Hi guys,

So i've got this new job, and it happens to be location only a few miles from where i live. So i think to myself, maybe i'll cycle to work!

Does anyone else do this? Does anyone have any tips?

I plan to buy a fairly cheap bike from Halfords (probably a road bike, or maybe a hybrid), and put lights etc on it.

Do you need to have a change of clothes? I don't think my workplace has a shower or anything, but seeing as it's only a 3 mile journey, i won't be too sweaty.

However, i'm worried about rain. I'll probably buy waterprrof trousers and jacket, and then leave shoes at work to change in to - will that be enough?

The alternative is to get the bus, but that works out at £500 a year which isn't looking too fantastic...

So yeah......shaaaaaaaaaare.

I cycle and do take a change of clothes. This was in part because I went to the gym at work anyway but now I don't (as I'm only there 2 days a week) and I'm just spraying myself with deodorant. It's 4 miles and I'm fairly okay, but I do get a bit icky just past Tower Bridge. But providing there's not too many hills and you don't go too fast, I think just spraying yourself would be fine. However I think at least a change of shirt would be advisable. I wear some tops from Uniqlo that are supposed to help with sweat absorption/air flow (but I don't think they really do) and short shorts.

I tend to find when it really rains it can soak through, so may be advisable if its raining (heavily) on the outset to take a change of underwear too as the last thing you want to do is be sat in that all day! Or do what I sometimes do; straddle a radiator.

I plan to buy a fairly cheap bike from Halfords (probably a road bike, or maybe a hybrid), and put lights etc on it.

1) Don't buy a cheap bike. It makes it so much more hard work, and so much more uncomfortable. You'll hate every second of it. Spend a little bit extra, it's definitely worth it (at least £200; around £300 will get you a decent bike).

2) Don't buy from Halfords. There's about a 20-30% mark up on Halfords compared with a decent independent/internet. Shop around, you'll get a much better bike for your money.

I don't cycle to work as I live 7 miles away, and don't want to get all sweaty. But I'm looking to move closer (around 2-3 miles away) and I hope to be able to cycle to work. At least on the clear days. I'll save money on fuel, and will be fitter, healthier and happier.

I cycle and do take a change of clothes. This was in part because I went to the gym at work anyway but now I don't (as I'm only there 2 days a week) and I'm just spraying myself with deodorant. It's 4 miles and I'm fairly okay, but I do get a bit icky just past Tower Bridge. But providing there's not too many hills and you don't go too fast, I think just spraying yourself would be fine. However I think at least a change of shirt would be advisable. I wear some tops from Uniqlo that are supposed to help with sweat absorption/air flow (but I don't think they really do) and short shorts.

I tend to find when it really rains it can soak through, so may be advisable if its raining (heavily) on the outset to take a change of underwear too as the last thing you want to do is be sat in that all day! Or do what I sometimes do; straddle a radiator.

Ideally i wanted to limit the amount of clothes i had to change when i got there. It's a new job and all, and i don't want to be the new guy who strides in wearing Lycra and has to disappear to the bathroom to change as soon as he gets in.

Maybe i could get the bus for the first couple of weeks and then transition in...

I can see i'm going to have to buy an all new wardrobe aren't i?

1) Don't buy a cheap bike. It makes it so much more hard work, and so much more uncomfortable. You'll hate every second of it. Spend a little bit extra, it's definitely worth it (at least £200; around £300 will get you a decent bike).

2) Don't buy from Halfords. There's about a 20-30% mark up on Halfords compared with a decent independent/internet. Shop around, you'll get a much better bike for your money.

I don't cycle to work as I live 7 miles away, and don't want to get all sweaty. But I'm looking to move closer (around 2-3 miles away) and I hope to be able to cycle to work. At least on the clear days. I'll save money on fuel, and will be fitter, healthier and happier.

What exactly do you mean by 'uncomfortable'? As in, it's hard work? Will it really make that much of a difference over just 3 miles?

I was looking at getting a road bike anyway, all of which are £250 and up, so hopefully there won't be a problem.

I was going to get it from Halfords because they have the ease of being able to go in and look, but i could get it online....come to think of it, there is a bike shop about 10 doors down on my road.....fate?

I'd go with Moogle's idea of paying a bit more and getting a better bike. Don't sell yourself short on that one.

What I'd do is put an extra pair of clothes, shoes and underwear (socks, included) at work just in case you get seriously wet or sweaty, or you end up falling into a ditch or something. You never know.

Also, what are the roads like around where you are? I ask because it is very hit and miss in England (Wales, too) with regards to cycling. We love our hills here, as well. If it's only going to be a shorter journey, it would seem like a great idea, particularly as buses can be pretty shit, too.

I'd be very interested in cycling to work but I'm not sure how I would take my suit with me without it getting wrinkled. I'd definitely want a shower at the other side as I can't stand being sweaty. The train on a hot day is bad enough.

I cycle a 14 mile round-trip every day. Don't skimp on a cheap bike/parts, you will regret it.

I cycled to work for 2 years on a piece of shit bike and hated it! It was whilst I was saving to move, if I hadn't been I would have gone and bought an awesome bike would have made life so much easier.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

I'd be very interested in cycling to work but I'm not sure how I would take my suit with me without it getting wrinkled. I'd definitely want a shower at the other side as I can't stand being sweaty. The train on a hot day is bad enough.

That's the other thing of course; i don't yet know what the dress code will be. If i do have to wear a suit, i could just leave the jacket at work perhaps....

....if it's just shirt and trousers, that'll be a lot easier of course.

I think i might have to get the bus a few times until i know what to expect, but i really want to try and cycle it.

That's the other thing of course; i don't yet know what the dress code will be. If i do have to wear a suit, i could just leave the jacket at work perhaps....

....if it's just shirt and trousers, that'll be a lot easier of course.

I think i might have to get the bus a few times until i know what to expect, but i really want to try and cycle it.

Cycle it beforehand. Do it on a weekend or a day off to test it. That way you're checking out the journey without actually needing to be at work. You can see if it's do-able and something you're fine with doing on a daily basis.

Also, you'll get fitter from it and it will get easier.

I thought about cycling, but the roads petrify me. Immensely busy and really not wide enough (very few people have a driveway so the cars are parked on the roads). Not to mention that I'm not particularly good at cycling in a straight line as my balance is off.

It may be worth seeing if your company does the Cycle 2 Work (or similar) scheme. Could save a bit of money, plus the payment is spread out.

Why do you want a hybrid? Is part of the commute through some woods? Get a road bike and focus on light rather than cheap...

Ah...I was just gonna come and suggest the same as Ashley. I've never done much cycling so I can't offer any practical advice(I'd consider it if I didn't have to go out and about for work too); but I know my workplace has just opened up a cycle to work scheme for people that looks like a good deal.

Why do you want a hybrid? Is part of the commute through some woods? Get a road bike and focus on light rather than cheap...

I'm not really sure to be honest. I had got it into my head that road bikes were very light and very fragile, and tended to break easily. I assumed that if i got a hybrid it would be sturdier and less likely to break.

I basically made all that up in my head though, so i'm looking at road bikes now. It's 3 miles of roads all the way, and i doubt i'll ever use it for anything else.

I also seriously doubt my job has a Cycle 2 Work scheme as they only have 6 employees and they all have cars, but i suppose i can ask.

I could probably very well cycle to uni from where I live, but being from the countryside, the one time I tried cycling in this city I was terrified. I felt so unsafe, even on the cycling roads. I've never been a particularly good cyclist; I only learned to cycle when I was about 12.

Also, I'm lazy, and most of the road is one large hill. :heh:

Ideally i wanted to limit the amount of clothes i had to change when i got there. It's a new job and all, and i don't want to be the new guy who strides in wearing Lycra and has to disappear to the bathroom to change as soon as he gets in.

When I hope to do it, I've thought about wearing a t-shirt under my shirt, to absorb the sweat, and then just taking that off when I get there.

The old 'sweat buffer' technique. Not sure if that actually works, presumably wearing two layers would just make you sweat even more?

Only problem with the cycle to work scheme is you have to be with the company for so long before its on offer to you. This may be different with different companies though. But it is a great way to get a great bike basically interest free for a year and possibly up to 50% off.

And yeah get a road bike. I originally got a hybrid a year later swapped to a road bike the difference and less effort required to peddle is immense, you'll get to work quicker as well so you can have a little extra lay in. :)

Edited by James

When I tried to apply you had to be guaranteed for at least a year, which was silly because if you leave sooner (ie quit), you just pay it off anyway.

Semi-hijacking.

Found a bike that looks like it could be okay. Going to go test it on Monday (as I'm busy the weekend and in the area on Monday anyway) but it's just a case of trying to figure out the money side of it. Think I'd be rejected on finance as I move around so much (silly system) and now that my mother's moved I can't use that address. May slyly ask them if I could use that address, and just change it straight away (a trick I learnt when I was selling finance). It's that or I wait until pay day (in two weeks) and see if I can scrape by with paying it outright and not dip into my ISA.

Times like this I regret going part-time.

3 miles roughly 5 kilometers? I used to bycicle that distance from to college/work for three and half years. Pretty much the only exercice I got and far cheaper than taking the bus.

The only way you should cycle is by using the t-shirt that Jeremy Clarkson had on Top Gear.

"MOTORISTS. Thank you for letting me use your roads" printed on the back :D

Yes, the motorists roads that we all pay for. Theirs. Yes...

Sign in to follow this