NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2013/2014

Do you think this is perhaps down to the poor showing of English clubs in Europe over the past few seasons?

No.

It's a huge over-statement and an argument that is thrown about too often with very little thought. Chelsea won it not too long ago. United have, with the exception of the year we got knocked out of the group stages, made it through and have either lost it in the final or against a strong opponent, like Real Madrid last year. City had a really fucking tough group. Arsenal went out to the eventual winners.

People will go where the money is, for a start. It's also approaching World Cup time, so they'll go into teams that will get them recognition or get them noticed for the national team. Like David Villa. He no doubt stayed in Spain because that will give him a good platform to get back into the Spanish team for the World Cup.

Chelsea have won the Champions League and Europa Cup in two successive seasons! How can that be poor in Europe?

Cavani confirmed to PSG. Was talking about this at work as to whether this will actually help improve the French league for all the other teams. I don't think it will, I just think it'll turn the league into a 2 horse race just like Spain. At least EPL has several teams usually challenging up there.

Chelsea have won the Champions League and Europa Cup in two successive seasons! How can that be poor in Europe?

Cavani confirmed to PSG. Was talking about this at work as to whether this will actually help improve the French league for all the other teams. I don't think it will, I just think it'll turn the league into a 2 horse race just like Spain. At least EPL has several teams usually challenging up there.

Jose Mourinho questions value of Europa League win for Chelsea

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho says winning the Europa League would be a "big disappointment" - only a few months after rival Rafael Benitez guided the Blues to victory in the tournament.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23330815

:p

Personally don't think it'll be a 2 horse race straight away, as I think Monaco will be another case of Manchester City... Spend big but not challenge straight away. PSG will probably get a fairly comfortable ride to the French league this season, while Monaco continue to find their feet and get more transfers that can keep up with them.

Still unbelievable that Falcao and Cavani both in French league over Premier League or La Liga.

Still unbelievable that Falcao and Cavani both in French league over Premier League or La Liga.

Money talks. €60 odd million per player, God knows what they'll be on in wages. That's a LOT of money. Monaco have spent around €130million on 3 players in Falcao, Mountiho and Rodriguez.

If anything, it's better for the French League in a sense that more "superstars" will be thinking of going there. For too long has their league been lagging behind. I'd say the Italian League is in a similar predicament.

Yeah man the Italian league will fall behind soon. Although that said Juve grabbing Tevez & Lorente is pretty good business. Not quite the named players like Cavani or Falcao, but still.

Wonder how Napoli will spend that £55m now.

Yeah man the Italian league will fall behind soon. Although that said Juve grabbing Tevez & Lorente is pretty good business. Not quite the named players like Cavani or Falcao, but still.

Wonder how Napoli will spend that £55m now.

Juventus are going the right way, but the Milan clubs are looking pretty dire. I remember the league used to be full of powerhouses and the national team were scary to play against. For me, they've lost their edge and it's only thanks to the likes of Pirlo and De Rossi that I even bother paying attention to Serie A any more.

(This isn't on topic, but quite funny i thought)

Juventus are going the right way, but the Milan clubs are looking pretty dire. I remember the league used to be full of powerhouses and the national team were scary to play against. For me, they've lost their edge and it's only thanks to the likes of Pirlo and De Rossi that I even bother paying attention to Serie A any more.

Yup, the Champions league draws previously you wouldn't particularly want to draw any Italian team that featured.

Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina, to some extent even Parma had a pretty strong squad (mainly cause of Nakata, loved that guy)

The teams now all seem fairly evenly matched, 2nd through to 6th can be mixture of teams, with Juve just that step ahead, They just don't strike as much fear as they used to though.

(This isn't on topic, but quite funny i thought)

Very self aware. :grin:

Yup, the Champions league draws previously you wouldn't particularly want to draw any Italian team that featured.

Juve, Milan, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina, to some extent even Parma had a pretty strong squad (mainly cause of Nakata, loved that guy)

The teams now all seem fairly evenly matched, 2nd through to 6th can be mixture of teams, with Juve just that step ahead, They just don't strike as much fear as they used to though.

Yeah, I agree. Each team has their own marquee player, but aside from Juventus, none of them have an Earth shattering squad. Can't see an Italian team winning the Champions League for a long time, especially with the likes of PSG and Bayern strengthening in a serious way.

Breaking news: Chelsea bid for Rooney. Apparently the bid was £10 million plus either Mata or Luiz.

I really, really, reeeeally like Mata. Would love to see him at United.

Breaking news: Chelsea bid for Rooney. Apparently the bid was £10 million plus either Mata or Luiz.

I really, really, reeeeally like Mata. Would love to see him at United.

Was just about to post this, I'd gladly take £10m & Mata for Rooney. Would be a nice bit of business. Guess we'd then have to strengthen up with another striker, sure that could be achievable.

Was just about to post this, I'd gladly take £10m & Mata for Rooney. Would be a nice bit of business. Guess we'd then have to strengthen up with another striker, sure that could be achievable.

The likes of Mata, Kagawa, Nani (on form) and Zaha behind Van Persie or Hernandez...

Hnnnnngggggg! Mata is exactly the type of player we need. A creative midfielder, which would also allow Kagawa to be in his preferred position (behind the striker) and would also solve the issue of an unhappy player not wanting to be here or being out of position.

The likes of Mata, Kagawa, Nani (on form) and Zaha behind Van Persie or Hernandez...

Hnnnnngggggg! Mata is exactly the type of player we need. A creative midfielder, which would also allow Kagawa to be in his preferred position (behind the striker) and would also solve the issue of an unhappy player not wanting to be here or being out of position.

Wonder if Chelsea will comeback with an improved offer... Perhaps Mata & Luiz.

So... Mourinho the blues 'Special One' comes back, fans love him. Now he's potentially trying to get rid of 2 of Chelsea's star players from last season. What do the fans think of Mour now?

If this had been Benitez doing this sort of muppetry fans would of been calling for his head on a stick.

Such a whacky transfer window for United so far, we've only signed one unknown so far.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see an article tomorrow... "United make £50m bid for Bale!"

Wonder if Chelsea will comeback with an improved offer... Perhaps Mata & Luiz.

So... Mourinho the blues 'Special One' comes back, fans love him. Now he's potentially trying to get rid of 2 of Chelsea's star players from last season. What do the fans think of Mour now?

If this had been Benitez doing this sort of muppetry fans would of been calling for his head on a stick.

Such a whacky transfer window for United so far, we've only signed one unknown so far.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see an article tomorrow... "United make £50m bid for Bale!"

The more I think about it, the more I reckon United should have taken that deal. Unless Chelsea do come back with a bigger offer. We'll see.

But yeah, if Benitez had done that, I can imagine the fury from the fans. Although, I've got a few Chelsea fans on my facebook right now saying, "Noooooo, don't do it!"

Aaahahaha. I think this deal would actually anger more Chelsea fans than it would please.

The more I think about it, the more I reckon United should have taken that deal. Unless Chelsea do come back with a bigger offer. We'll see.

But yeah, if Benitez had done that, I can imagine the fury from the fans. Although, I've got a few Chelsea fans on my facebook right now saying, "Noooooo, don't do it!"

Aaahahaha. I think this deal would actually anger more Chelsea fans than it would please.

I do hope they come back with another offer. I worry now that if they do make a 2nd offer it'll be just cash. Which guaran-damn-tee would be accepted.

Why would we want pitiful £10m & Mata, when we could hold out for £30m..

:(

If we're going to be stubborn about it, if we're fortunate enough for Chelsea to offer Mata & money in a 2nd bid.. please take it. If it's true I don't know why it wasn't accepted in the first place.

I do hope they come back with another offer. I worry now that if they do make a 2nd offer it'll be just cash. Which guaran-damn-tee would be accepted.

Why would we want pitiful £10m & Mata, when we could hold out for £30m..

:(

If we're going to be stubborn about it, if we're fortunate enough for Chelsea to offer Mata & money in a 2nd bid.. please take it. If it's true I don't know why it wasn't accepted in the first place.

It makes you wonder, though. How much did Chelsea buy Mata for? Around 24million? So, 24million + the 10million means we're either valuing Rooney at more than £34million, or Chelsea are undervaluing Mata.

I reckon we should just try a cash bid for Mata. £20million. Have him AND Rooney. That would be the equivalent of having your cake and eating it. :D

It makes you wonder, though. How much did Chelsea buy Mata for? Around 24million? So, 24million + the 10million means we're either valuing Rooney at more than £34million, or Chelsea are undervaluing Mata.

I reckon we should just try a cash bid for Mata. £20million. Have him AND Rooney. That would be the equivalent of having your cake and eating it. :D

Just all this excitement regarding players we're linked with,... I've got to somehow prepare myself for the realization we'll probably sign Osman and Pinear :blank:

What's the N-Euro league code for this season's fantasy football people? I created my team 2 days ago and looking to join it as I was there two seasons ago but missed out last season!

I'd much rather have Mata in the United team at the moment than Rooney, I'd be happy with a straight swap, let alone an extra £10 million! Plus, considering United are seemingly after a creative midfielder it would solve that issue and get rid of a want away player. If anything it could also allow Moyes to show that he's keeping with the 'no one player is bigger than the club philosophy'. I honestly can't see why they wouldn't accept, unless they're holding out for more...

I reckon with Mata in the team and Rooney out we could give Wellback a few more chances up front, rather than sticking him out on the wing all the time. Would be interested to see what he could do with a half decent run.

Edited by Eddage

Anyone with sense can see that offer was clearly not real. Another report said we put in a bid for 28m which sounds more accurate though I'm sure United would expect more than 30m.

Why would Chelsea sell Mata or Luiz? Mata has been our best player for the past two seasons and Luiz has so much potential!

If anything, it should have been at least 10m + Rooney for Luiz or Mata and maybe RVP :p

What's the N-Euro league code for this season's fantasy football people? I created my team 2 days ago and looking to join it as I was there two seasons ago but missed out last season!

I have no idea. I reckon Ell might be the one to ask? Did he organise it last year? Can't remember. Think I played for a bit in the year before and then just gave up. UNLIKE XPERT WHERE I FIGHT TO THE END.

I reckon with Mata in the team and Rooney out we could give Wellback a few more chances up front, rather than sticking him out on the wing all the time. Would be interested to see what he could do with a half decent run.

I want to see Welbeck given more of a run up front, too. No point putting him out on the point. I don't like it when managers do that, strikers should be up top, wingers should be out on the wing.

Anyone with sense can see that offer was clearly not real. Another report said we put in a bid for 28m which sounds more accurate though I'm sure United would expect more than 30m.

Why would Chelsea sell Mata or Luiz? Mata has been our best player for the past two seasons and Luiz has so much potential!

If anything, it should have been at least 10m + Rooney for Luiz or Mata and maybe RVP :p

The Chelsea fans are going crazy already. Wassamatta? You worried? :p

Also, fuuuuuuu. If I hear David Luiz pronounced as Day-vid instead of Dah-vid one more time, I'm going to rip out my testicles and beat somebody to death with them. Radio presenters are so fucking annoying.

@Fierce_LiNk

hnnngh

Why do I think that somebody at United is running around with their hands in the air shouting "BID ON ALL THE PLAYERS!!"

This is going to be a summer where we literally bid on everyone. I can see it. So far we've been linked with...Alcantara, Baines, Fellaini, Fabregas, Bale, Strootman, Erikson, Ronaldo, Modric, Garay...pretty sure there's more.

Yeah but it makes it all the more heartbreaking when the transfer window shuts and we won't have any of the above. Bale & Cesc... is that too much to ask for? Perhaps throw Baines in too for good measure.

Why do I think that somebody at United is running around with their hands in the air shouting "BID ON ALL THE PLAYERS!!"

This is going to be a summer where we literally bid on everyone. I can see it. So far we've been linked with...Alcantara, Baines, Fellaini, Fabregas, Bale, Strootman, Erikson, Ronaldo, Modric, Garay...pretty sure there's more.

Everton licensed out Football Manager's database to use for scouting. Moyes has never had enough money to use it properly before and he's now playing real life FM?

Yeah but it makes it all the more heartbreaking when the transfer window shuts and we won't have any of the above. Bale & Cesc... is that too much to ask for? Perhaps throw Baines in too for good measure.

We won't get either of them. :p

By the end of this transfer window, we will have Garay as cover for Vidic. Fellaini in midfield and maybe a youth striker from abroad, or somebody who isn't from a huge team. At the very most. We could just as likely end up with none of them and recruit from within. If it comes down to the last week of the window and we're just putting a deal in place for Fellaini (as our main bit of business this summer) then that tells you all you need to know.

Looking at out dealings, we've tended to shy away from huuuuge prices and deals. Berbatov was over 30million, Veron was pricey, but since then we've not really done business in the same way. We're looking at the 20-25million pound bracket, and even then I think the club don't tend to like spending that much money unless it's a marquee signing. To get players like Bale and Cesc, you need to be bidding much more than that.

There is no way we'll be getting Bale or Cesc, or these other big names being touted. We may offer big money, but the clubs will either want more or clubs from abroad will offer more. Like I said, we matched bids before for Moura and I reckon we did have something in place for Alcantara, but we were either outbid or outmuscled in some way (Alcantara's situation was special).

Everton licensed out Football Manager's database to use for scouting. Moyes has never had enough money to use it properly before and he's now playing real life FM?

Hmm, not really what I was getting at in that sense. I tend to think that most high tier clubs operate in the same way. You wouldn't go for just one summer target, because that would be the equivalent of putting all of your eggs in one basket. You shop around and you see what's there. The difference this year seems to be that, somehow, these names are being made public. (not from Moyes himself, but somehow the media are getting wind of a lot of this stuff) Maybe it was the same in the past, I don't know.