N-Europe

Super Mario 3D World (Nov 29th)

Grazza

• Replies 924
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How come LittleBigPlanet works fine for 4 player online multiplayer but not Mario 3D world?

I've said this before but Ratchet and Clank:A4O also has 4 player online co-op and is also a 3D platformer.

It comes down to the fact that Nintendo just don't want to do it. They think that we all have kids or are still kids that can easily invite their friends over to play these games. ::shrug:

I've said this before but Ratchet and Clank:A4O also has 4 player online co-op and is also a 3D platformer.

It comes down to the fact that Nintendo just don't want to do it. They think that we all have kids or are still kids that can easily invite their friends over to play these games. ::shrug:

Yeah I think this is what it comes down to. Its not technical limitations, they just don't want it in this game, for some reason.

Nintendos excuses for not having online is fucking pitiful. "We want it to be like the NES when people played next to each other" IT'S NOT 1986!!!!! Yes local is better, but why not have CHOICE? Just because we can play online, it's not going to stop us playing locally if we can, just means friends and families can play more often, it's only a GOOD thing, there's no negative to adding it.

What's more worrying is the game only having 8 directional control as has been reported today. Maybe the upscales 3ds rumours are quite true and confirms one of my biggest fears with the game, tout having the control of mario galaxy games...

Nintendo really do baffle m some times. I just don't know what goes thro their heads...

The 8 directional stuff is a misnomer, as I noted earlier. It's not 8 directional, but it snaps you. If you look at the videos, you'll see it's not exactly 8 directional. Besides, Super Mario 3D Land had this and I never even noticed

Yeah I think this is what it comes down to. Its not technical limitations, they just don't want it in this game, for some reason.

Technical limitations are actually a major factor. Those games have extrapolation, and it shows. I've played LBP online and it's not as smooth as they'd like.

I have a degree in Internet Technologies so I know full well the capabilities of these things. The level of interactivity Nintendo puts in these games is more than the games you listed.

Don't get me wrong, I want it online as well, but I know exactly why it's not. Latency would kill these things

I have a degree in Internet Technologies so I know full well the capabilities of these things. The level of interactivity Nintendo puts in these games is more than the games you listed.

More than Ratchet? In that game you pick each other up, help each other with switches, jump from platform to platform, fight massive bosses and all the while you are shooting stuff all over the place in 4 player online co-op action. How is Mario more interactive than this?

Technical limitations are actually a major factor. Those games have extrapolation, and it shows. I've played LBP online and it's not as smooth as they'd like.

Don't get me wrong, I want it online as well, but I know exactly why it's not. Latency would kill these things

I'm not convinced it would be impossible to achieve a decent level of latency to make this game work online, based on the fact that other developers have already achieved it.

I'm not suggesting that it would be easy and that it wouldn't take time to create a stable online mode, I'm saying its not impossible simply because there are games out there like Rachet A4O that demand just as much attention to latency then 3Dworld seems to need.

I think if Nintendo really wanted this feature they could do it, but they don't see the value of having this mode in a Mario game so they won't.

Edited by Helmsly

I'm not convinced it would be impossible to achieve a decent level of latency to make this game work online, based on the fact that other developers have already achieved it.

I'm not suggesting that it would be easy and that it wouldn't take time to create a stable online mode, I'm saying its not impossible simply because there are games out there like Rachet A4O that demand just as much attention to latency then 3Dworld seems to need.

I think if Nintendo really wanted this feature they could do it, but they don't see the value of having this mode in a Mario game so they won't.

It'd be incredibly tricky and result in some issues. If all players don't have top notch connections in Ratchet & Clank, things start going south. Nintendo doesn't want any part of their game to appear subpar, surely you can see the logic in that?

It'd be incredibly tricky and result in some issues. If all players don't have top notch connections in Ratchet & Clank, things start going south. Nintendo doesn't want any part of their game to appear subpar, surely you can see the logic in that?

Then why is Mario Kart online? There are sometimes connection issues with that game when playing online.

Just for the record i'm not intentionally trying to slag this game off. As always i'll be there day 1 for any Mario game. :D

Personally, I think Nintendo does not see value in adding online to this game. The online should be done well, by "Mario standards", and those games rarely have anything considered sub-par. Adding online costs money to run servers etc.

They just think that adding online would not bring enough customers to the game, and the game will make more money without it. Matio Kart tean, on the other hand, thinks differently.

Then why is Mario Kart online? There are sometimes connection issues with that game when playing online.

Just for the record i'm not intentionally trying to slag this game off. As always i'll be there day 1 for any Mario game. :D

You are correct! Mario Kart Wii was my favourite entry in the series to date. I played that game to death and had two 9999 accounts. But sometimes you would see some crazy things online - and not just glitches or hacks. Every now and then you would see other racers warp around the track because their connections were terrible.

I don't think there's really any excuse to not have this online - and not having it online will only hurt sales. It seems Nintendo still have their heads in the sand over this. However it's not the most worrying thing about the game, the lack of true analogue control worries me more and seems like a major step backward.

However, it's still day one for me, it's new Mario after all and I'm sure I will still get a lot of pleasure out of playing it.

Mario Kart, as a racer, uses the system which I mentioned earlier. As you're essentially just going forward, it extrapolates in times of latency in order to make it appear non laggy. It's why it seems jolty sometimes as it's been doing that, but the person did something it didn't expect

Mario Kart, as a racer, uses the system which I mentioned earlier. As you're essentially just going forward, it extrapolates in times of latency in order to make it appear non laggy. It's why it seems jolty sometimes as it's been doing that, but the person did something it didn't expect

The point I'm making is that they are happy to make Mario Kart online, which does have issues yet they won't attempt it with Mario platformers. If it is a quality issue ( again I doubt this due to Ratchet ) Is the Mario Kart series not worth as much in their eyes?

The point I'm making is that they are happy to make Mario Kart online, which does have issues yet they won't attempt it with Mario platformers. If it is a quality issue ( again I doubt this due to Ratchet ) Is the Mario Kart series not worth as much in their eyes?

What I'm saying is that it's easier to get around the issues with a racer

yeah it definitely wouldn't be an easy thing to pull off, making a platformer work online is supposedly a lot hard to pull off then a racing game like MK, but other developers have tackled the issue before and have come up with pretty good results. Of course there have has been some awful results too.

I feel that having top notch connections is different issue here. I don't think we are anywhere close to a time where it can be assumed everyone has a decent internet connection, but that should not stop us from having online modes in games because a lot of us do have decent internet.

There are things that can be done to minimize people with bad connections too, like a simple signal bar icon, like MKDS can help or they could do what they did with Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS and make online region locked. some people won't be happy with that but it would prevent situations where two people are just too far away from each other to have a decent online game.

Edited by Helmsly

yeah it definitely wouldn't be an easy thing to pull off, making a platformer work online is supposedly a lot hard to pull off then a racing game like MK, but other developers have tackled the issue before and have come up with pretty good results. Of course there have has been some awful results too.

I feel that having top notch connections is different issue here. I don't think we are anywhere close to a time where it can be assumed everyone has a decent internet connection, but that should not stop us from having online modes in games because a lot of us do have decent internet.

There are things that can be done to minimize people with bad connections too, a simple signal bar icon, like MKDS can help or they could do what they did with Mario Tennis Open on the 3DS and make online region locked. some people won't be happy with that but it would prevent situations where two people are just too far away from each other to have a decent online game.

Correct, if a game that almost solely depends on online multiplayer like Diablo 3, by a company (Activision Blizzard) that had over a decade of experience in this field can't even make the gameplay 100% fluid on decent broadband connections, than how can Nintendo make it work for an even more difficult genre; 3D multiplayer platforming.

What about a game like Left 4 Dead 2? In versus mode you have 8 players running around all doing different things, the survivors all have guns and are mowing down zombies. The other team are controlling special infected, all with unique movesets. All the while there are hundreds of common zombies running around. I play it on PC all the time and I rarely see a laggy game - the only time I have lag is when I'm playing on a server that's outside of europe in which case we just return to lobby and get a different server.

Yes people need good connections but most people that play online games a lot will have good connections. I know not everyone has the best connection or even internet at all but these are not the people that are crying out for online play.

For me, the fact of the matter is, when I saw this game in the Direct I thought it looked good but it wasn't until they showed the multiplayer that it excited me. I thought it looked really fun and I loved the idea of playing with friends, until I realised it definitely wouldn't have online multiplayer which means I will never get to play the game outside of single player (save for maybe one or two opportunities per year). I already had that experience with Super Mario 3D Land and although this game looks fun too, it also looks like more of the same. Online multiplayer would have made certain I'd be buying this game, now I'm not so sure.

Edited by The Peeps

More than Ratchet? In that game you pick each other up, help each other with switches, jump from platform to platform, fight massive bosses and all the while you are shooting stuff all over the place in 4 player online co-op action. How is Mario more interactive than this?
lol *post gets ignored*

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!