N-Europe

Official E3 Nintendo Direct Discussion - 11th June @ 3pm

Mokong

The disappointment for me was inescapable. SM3DW looks far too underwhelming when considering the Galaxy games (and maybe ven Mario 64) and Mario Kart 8 should be releasing this year to make me hyped for it... it does look amazing though I must say!

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Miyamoto's comments are pretty telling of Nintendo's current mindset. Franchises like F-Zero and Starfox are simply not good enough for Nintendo anymore, unless they can include some kind of a new gameplay gimmick in them. Proper online and system-pushing HD visuals are out of the window, because that's not the priority. Just look at Mario: even at this point where the Wii U is suffering, they'd rather release a Mario game (their flagship franchise) with extremely simplistics graphics and no online, because they don't care about that. When other developers are pushing the systems they're working on to the limit, Nintendo would rather just find some novelty idea and make a game around that; in this case, the 4-player 3D-multiplayer. Thus I wouldn't hold your breath about franchise revivals anymore, because the end results are probably not gonna be what you expect anyway.

I think we old hc Nintendo gamers just have to finally smell the roses and wake up. The modern Nintendo is not the same company it used to be. They've acquired their current success with casual games and gimmicks, and this is what they're trying to duplicate all the time as well. Fact is that the system-pushing, awe-inspiring video games are now being developed by other developers, and I guess we just have to accept it. Well, at least those games are better than ever now, so that's a consolation of some sort I guess. I know it's hard to let go after all these years, but frankly, I'm getting tired of caring.

I think Miyamoto's comments are pretty telling of Nintendo's current mindset. Franchises like F-Zero and Starfox are simply not good enough for Nintendo anymore, unless they can include some kind of a new gameplay gimmick in them. Proper online and system-pushing HD visuals are out of the window, because that's not the priority. Just look at Mario: even at this point where the Wii U is suffering, they'd rather release a Mario game (their flagship franchise) with extremely simplistics graphics and no online, because they don't care about that. When other developers are pushing the systems they're working on to the limit, Nintendo would rather just find some novelty idea and make a game around that; in this case, the 4-player 3D-multiplayer. Thus I wouldn't hold your breath about franchise revivals anymore, because the end results are probably not gonna be what you expect anyway.

I think we old hc Nintendo gamers just have to finally smell the roses and wake up. The modern Nintendo is not the same company it used to be. They've acquired their current success with casual games and gimmicks, and this is what they're trying to duplicate all the time as well. Fact is that the system-pushing, awe-inspiring video games are now being developed by other developers, and I guess we just have to accept it. Well, at least those games are better than ever now, so that's a consolation of some sort I guess. I know it's hard to let go after all these years, but frankly, I'm getting tired of caring.

There's also the fact that they don't sell well.

I love those games as much as you, and I really want a massive Starfox game on the Wii U. However, at this point in time, Nintendo's target is to get the Wii U out of its hole and these franchises, ones which have games that are lucky to break 1m at the best of times, won't do it.

Mario's graphics aren't necessarily "simplistic", they're part of the style that is Mario, as was Galaxy as I proved in the 3D World thread to stop this crap. Just because it's a cartoon style does not mean it's simplistic or poor.

Reggie, Iwata and Miyamoto have all said that they intend to return to legacy franchises when they can, but now is NOT the time, and anyone who thinks otherwise is just deluding themselves. Nintendo needs to get the Wii U to sell, niche titles will not get this to happen.

I can see both points here.

I think both Starfox and F-Zero could do some very good numbers if Nintendo got with the times and included online into these games.

F-Zero on the Cube was pretty much perfect, all that they need to do is remake that but with online and you're sorted.

Starfox could easily be an online 4 player co-op game, with an online multiplayer mode. Again, I think the simple addition of online play could give this series the lift it needs.

Sadly Nintendo just don't seem interested in putting online functions into their games, even if it makes sense.

Another point is that surely the e-Shop could help here? Why not test the waters with the franchises that they don't want to take risks on?

I think an F-Zero GX remake or a new F-Zero would perform better than the last game (how much we won't know) simply because people are more aware of the series now and they've been craving it for some time.

However that doesn't change the fact that Miyamoto/Nintendo don't know how they could bring something new to series. They don't just want to make an F-Zero for the sake of it, they'd rather have some innovations/new ideas/gameplay mechanics that they could implement this time around. The same could be said about Waverace & 1080 too.

I think an F-Zero GX remake or a new F-Zero would perform better than the last game (how much we won't know) simply because people are more aware of the series now and they've been craving it for some time.

However that doesn't change the fact that Miyamoto/Nintendo don't know how they could bring something new to series. They don't just want to make an F-Zero for the sake of it, they'd rather have some innovations/new ideas/gameplay mechanics that they could implement this time around. The same could be said about Waverace & 1080 too.

Being online would be innovative for Nintendo. :D

I still think it's a bit harsh slamming something like anti-grav stuff in Mario Kart when everyone is looking for the next F-Zero. Kinda makes you think that they have zero interest in the series when they start using parts of it in another racer.

I have to say I see your point here but also kinda disagree to an extent.

I agree that they're success has come from tapping into the casual market, which I have to say I kind of applaud for the way they did it with the Wii etc.

However, since when were system-pushing, awe-inspring video games the be all and end all of a video game system?

I think that's more a casual gamer mind set than an actual hardened gamer mind set as I quite frankly don't care what games look like - providing I have FUN. And that is not something I get from killing yet another soldier in yet another realistic shooter on yet another 'next gen' game.

It's tricky for Nintendo now as it would be (in my opnion) a very foolosh move to try and move away from the market that they so successfully captured with the Wii - hence why we're seeing games like Mario World.

I think people forget that the Wii U was originally 'advertised' (if you will) at their E3 reveal and such, as a family console. A new single player Mario (as much as I would love to see it don't get me wrong), would not appeal to the families as the console is intended to do.

Putting personal thoughts aside - do you guys not think that Mario World is a fantastic game for families to play together regardless of age, gender, playing ability etc? Coz I do. I think it's great! I can just see a family settling down on a Saturday night to play this game (and others coming to the console) together - and it's a pretty remarkable thing in the games industry. : peace:

Whilst it may not suit my personal wants or needs, or some others on here, I know I will still have loads of fun with it, and I think it's needed to bring interest and sales to the console.

I may have gone slightly off topic here so I apologise if so, and I do agree Ville, that the comapny is not the same in terms of it's goals as what it may have once been.

But if it was the same company from all those years ago, I'm honestly not so sure they'd still be around - and that would be the biggest travesty ever.

I can see both points here.

I think both Starfox and F-Zero could do some very good numbers if Nintendo got with the times and included online into these games.

F-Zero on the Cube was pretty much perfect, all that they need to do is remake that but with online and you're sorted.

Starfox could easily be an online 4 player co-op game, with an online multiplayer mode. Again, I think the simple addition of online play could give this series the lift it needs.

Sadly Nintendo just don't seem interested in putting online functions into their games, even if it makes sense.

Another point is that surely the e-Shop could help here? Why not test the waters with the franchises that they don't want to take risks on?

They could, but not straight out.

Let me peg a couple of examples for you

Fire Emblem Awakening

Luigi's Mansion

Both of these are from titles that are relatively niche, especially the former. If these games were released in 2011 during the 3DS's flagging period, they would have not done anywhere near as well as they have done now. Instead, they have made an impact...the Fire Emblem franchise is now well known once again. Even Animal Crossing is doing better than it ever has. Compare to other niche franchises from early in the 3DS's life, Pilotwings and Steel Diver...both of which failed to reach 1 million units worldwide.

Picture this...hypothetically speaking, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 do what their predecessors did for the 3DS. The 3DS jumped from 6.68m (October 2011) to 17.2m (March 2012) in a matter of month in no small part due to those games. Let's say they do half this, just because I'm realistic...push the Wii U to 10-12m sales by the end of the fiscal year. Now, there's an install base and these games may actually catch on and do well once release.

As I've said, at the moment their task is to get the Wii U into homes and the best way to do that is with their tried and true franchises that appeal to the "casual" and "core" players.

Edited by Serebii

Fire Emblem Awakening

Luigi's Mansion

Both of these are from titles that are relatively niche, especially the former. If these games were released in 2011 during the 3DS's flagging period, they would have not done anywhere near as well as they have done now. Instead, they have made an impact...the Fire Emblem franchise is now well known once again. Even Animal Crossing is doing better than it ever has. Compare to other niche franchises from early in the 3DS's life, Pilotwings and Steel Diver...both of which failed to reach 1 million units worldwide.

Picture this...hypothetically speaking, Mario 3D World and Mario Kart 8 do what their predecessors did for the 3DS. The 3DS jumped from 6.68m (October 2011) to 17.2m (March 2012) in a matter of month in no small part due to those games. Let's say they do half this, just because I'm realistic...push the Wii U to 10-12m sales by the end of the fiscal year. Now, there's an install base and these games may actually catch on and do well once release.

As I've said, at the moment their task is to get the Wii U into homes and the best way to do that is with their tried and true franchises that appeal to the "casual" and "core" players.

I just can't envisage the WiiU replicating the 3DS for the simple fact that Nintendo don't have the same vice-like grip on te home console market like they do with the handheld market. The competition is MUCH more fierce on the home console side.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to do so, I just cannot see it happening. Not without a price drop and not with MK8 being out after the holiday season.

Ah MK8, why must you be so far away?! How I'd love to play you now!

Edited by Kav

Fire Emblem Awakening

Luigi's Mansion

I was going to reply to this but Kav did it for me.

I just can't envisage the WiiU replicating the 3DS for the simple fact that Nintendo don't have the same vice-like grip on te home console market like they do with the handheld market. The competition is MUCH more fierce on the home console side.

Very much agreed and i'm sick of seeing this argument.

Mario's graphics aren't necessarily "simplistic", they're part of the style that is Mario, as was Galaxy as I proved in the 3D World thread to stop this crap. Just because it's a cartoon style does not mean it's simplistic or poor.

They are simple. The terrain looks like it was painted with the fill tool, where are all the textures? Why is the grass a green mat, could there not be real 3D grass there? Trees are also like straight from Mario 64. Also, Galaxy was on the Wii, this is on the Wii U. There should be a difference there, right?

Bottom line: to my eye, it looks too simple. Visually, esthetically, it doesn't give me anything, which is sad because I know Nintendo can make awesome-looking games. It's just that from my completely subjective viewpoint, it looks really boring. I simply don't want to play a game that looks "ok", because there are a ton of other titles out there that do look fantastic. I mean I've seen those rolling green hills a million times before, so why not spice them up, especially when they have the machine to do it now?

Putting personal thoughts aside - do you guys not think that Mario World is a fantastic game for families to play together regardless of age, gender, playing ability etc? Coz I do. I think it's great! I can just see a family settling down on a Saturday night to play this game (and others coming to the console) together - and it's a pretty remarkable thing in the games industry.

Yes, it's probably good fun in co-op, and that's my problem. When you were a kid, playing local multiplayer was super easy. However, I don't live with my family anymore, and my friends are scattered here and there across this and other countries. Which is why I and many others wish for Nintendo to include online in their games, so that we could have the same co-op fun despite having grown up into adults. Maybe we're not their target demographic anymore, who knows. Maybe it really is families and kids that they focus on now, but I hope they realise it's alienating the older players. If they make multiplayer games, then there needs to be an online possibility as well. I mean why was there such a commotion and hype about Monster Hunter? Because it has online. Why are so many people playing CoD? Because it has online.

Also, I'm tired of the constant fighting going on in the Nintendo threads. It's like a constant "who is right" -contest out here. Well you know what, it's not about that, but about what people feel, their personal opinions. Mine is that I'm disappointed in the Wii U. I've gamed on Nintendo systems for over 20 years, and now something is just very different. The games don't wow me anymore. Maybe it's the other systems spoiling me, but if that's the case then so be it. After all, I'm a gamer, I like playing games that give me goosebumps and make me wonder in awe at their virtual magnificence. It's not about the system, but the experience, and that seems to be found in games that are made by other developers now. Just a fact and personal preference. I mean my current Wii U library has only 2 games, and neither was made by Nintendo. Pretty telling, if you ask me.

Well the argument kinda stands up.

Those games will sell the console. It's quite simply that.

Also, I'm tired of the constant fighting going on in the Nintendo threads. It's like a constant "who is right" -contest out here. Well you know what, it's not about that, but about what people feel, their personal opinions.

I agree - hence me giving my personal opinion on the situation and why I see where Nintendo look to be going with their 'strategy'.

I agree with what you say however, regarding online with Mario World - totally. It should be there and there is no excuse at all that it isn't.

My current Wii U collection is Lego City Undercover. I mean - whut. Lol.

I too want the games to be there and maybe we differ in opinion in that I am more than happy with what's coming this year and into next. The only game from the first party line up I'm not bothered about is Pikmin 3 - and that's coz I've never clicked with it. But the rest - most are day one!

Whilst I really understand why people are mad or disappointed with Nintendo, I am just excited with what's coming. And I think it's just because of the type of gamer I am, I dunno. But I guess like you say - personal opinion is where it's at here and to an extent I can see how people are left wanting.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for it to do so, I just cannot see it happening. Not without a price drop and not with MK8 being out after the holiday season.

Ah MK8, why must you be so far away?! How I'd love to play you now!

That's why I halved it :p I don't expect it to take off as much as the 3DS did, but it WILL rebound in some form and we know it.

I agree that Mario Kart 8 being after holidays is a massive mistake, but Mario will help it, as will the 10 first party published games released between now and then

Edited by Serebii

That's why I halved it :p I don't expect it to take off as much as the 3DS did, but it WILL rebound in some form and we know it.

I agree that Mario Kart 8 being after holidays is a massive mistake, but Mario will help it, as will the 10 first party published games released between now and then

It depends is the market who made Wii Play and Wii Fit a success are still there. If Nintendo can't capture that market again then it's going to do Cube style numbers.

Hypothetical Question: What happens if by the end of the year there still isn't an increase in sales ( there should be given the titles that are coming ) and the games just don't perform? The machine will have been out for a year ( head start no less ) and now have heavy competition in the form of the other 2 consoles.

It depends is the market who made Wii Play and Wii Fit a success are still there. If Nintendo can't capture that market again then it's going to do Cube style numbers.

Hypothetical Question: What happens if by the end of the year there still isn't an increase in sales ( there should be given the titles that are coming ) and the games just don't perform? The machine will have been out for a year ( head start no less ) and now have heavy competition in the form of the other 2 consoles.

I honestly don't know. Nintendo is hedging a lot on Mario, Zelda and 3D Land increasing sales. It won't be such a drastic, sudden increase as per 3DS, but I reckon it'll be a bit more gradual.

Besides, you also need to consider that the PS4 and especially Xbox One may not pick up as much as people are expecting. I know many casual people who aren't jumping over for quite a while, since the games they want are coming for their current consoles, and they don't see that big a difference in graphics/capabilities to warrant a purchase. Some games wow them from the PS4, but for the most part it's "the same but with slightly better lighting". Actual quote.

If Nintendo's strategy fails, then they'll just keep twaddling along...they may accept that not everything will be a big hit on it and just do the other franchises (I am of the belief that they actually do have a Starfox and maybe F-Zero in development, just not ready to be shown yet) as they go on, as per the Gamecube.

C2U1c0A.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSKbMoy4rC1jLousY7YUIrY5InuHcoDFbzW-sGd51h3Gwbj9SJtTg

My personal feeling is that the GameCube era was 100% hardcore, and thus we got F-Zero, Metroid Prime etc. "Hardcore" is perhaps a silly word, but to me it defines a game that needs you to learn the controls, have patience, be able to explore 3D worlds. Basically, it's something that needs you to care.

The Wii era was undoubtedly one where Nintendo mostly targeted the casual market. Early on, more traditional games were developed pretty much as normal, but there was a price to pay for the console having such a simplified control scheme. Twilight Princess had camera and shield control removed. As for Mario Galaxy, whilst most people admit it is good, there have always been those of us for whom it is not a personal favourite. D-pad camera control wasn't as good as Sunshine's C-stick control, as you couldn't keep nudging the camera behind Mario. Whatever I think of Super Mario 3D World is unrelated to whether I wanted Galaxy 3 (I didn't).

One of the most significant events in the Wii's lifespan was the success of New Super Mario Bros. From this moment, Nintendo knew they could make a success out of "bridge" games. They didn't have to be easy, they didn't need a gimmick... but they did need to be accessible. Imagine all the people who bought Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 but couldn't play them - whether we like it or not a huge amount of gamers just cannot control them or understand the objectives.

Which brings me to the Wii U era. I get the distinct feeling that Nintendo is now scared of releasing anything which the consumer might not understand - they're not "casual", exactly, just accessible. Complex games are allowed on the system, for sure - Wind Waker is there because it's a fan favourite, and Nintendo knows only keen gamers will buy X, the Xenoblade sequel (similar situation for Bayonetta 2) - but the thing that's really telling is Super Mario 3D World. Whilst this has every chance of being an excellent game, the form it takes (multiplayer, mostly isometric/overhead) will have a huge effect on the experience. If you think back to Sunshine and all the things it asked of you - mastery of dual analogue sticks, analogue triggers, exploration, objective-solving... It's very unlikely there will be any levels in 3D World as tall or complex as Sunshine's Noki Bay, for example. (Before anyone accuses me of being revisionist, Mario Sunshine has been my favourite Mario since I played it on the GC, same goes for WW as my favourite Zelda.)

In summary, I'm confident the Wii U will have a very good games line-up and be worth buying. Accessibility is no bad thing, but are we ever going to get Mario, Metroid and Zelda again as those deep, technical experiences we used to love? I'm not so sure.

Because in the end we have a choice. Do we settle to be ordinary, or do we strive to be made of more?

Nintendo's choice for so long, has been to decide to be ordinary. This is a placeholder until tomorrow.

Miyamoto struggles to find a new, good idea to apply to F-Zero, wants to keep F-Zero/StarFox developed internally

Coming from an IGN interview with Shigeru Miyamoto.

"I certainly understand that people want a new F-Zero game. I think where I struggle is that I don’t really have a good idea for what’s new that we could bring to F-Zero that would really turn it into a great game again. Certainly I can see how people looking at Mario Kart 8 could see, through the anti-gravity, a connection to F-Zero. But I don’t know, at this point, what direction we could go in with a new F-Zero."

Miyamoto was asked if he felt some franchises (like F-Zero or Wave Race) were better suited to older generations of Nintendo hardware.

"It’s tough. We come to the show and we bring a lot of great franchises and everyone says, 'Oh, well, where’s this game that I want to play? Where’s something new?' I only have so much capacity. [laughs] Obviously in the past we’ve tried to work with other companies, where we’ve let them develop games for us in franchises like Star Fox and F-Zero, but the more we think about it, the more we prefer to be able to create those games internally, on our own. We’ve obviously, as I mentioned, been working on what we can do to increase our internal staff in a way that will allow us to have more projects going at the same time, so we can create new games and work on additional old IP and still maintain the other primary franchises that people want to see."

Returning to this subject because there was more in that interview with Miyamoto. Iwata said in January's Nintendo Direct that they were struggling to develop software with the upgrade to HD and apologised for the delays. He also said they were reaching out to third parties to help with collaborations. Now we've Miyamoto contradicting that statement saying they'd rather develop their IP's than let third parties work on them. F-Zero GX is a great example of letting a 3rd party work on one of their franchises. Sega did a brilliant job on this game. Nintendo haven't worked on a F-Zero game since the N64 and that was 15 years ago. That shows how much they care about F-Zero.

Let 3rd parties work on the title and other franchises if ye can't be bothered. F-Zero GX is the definitive version of F-Zero and that was by a 3rd party. Giving out about sales is rubbish. The game got no advertising. Look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and DKCR on 3DS. It's no coincidence that they're featuring in the charts because they're heavily advertised on TV. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen the ads. If F-Zero got that kind of exposure it would get sales too.

Pikmin is getting a third game in the series and that has had poor sales as well but that's Miyamoto's little baby so he can green light that project. The 2 previous games only amassed sales of roughly 3 million on the Gamecube.

Returning to this subject because there was more in that interview with Miyamoto. Iwata said in January's Nintendo Direct that they were struggling to develop software with the upgrade to HD and apologised for the delays. He also said they were reaching out to third parties to help with collaborations. Now we've Miyamoto contradicting that statement saying they'd rather develop their IP's than let third parties work on them. F-Zero GX is a great example of letting a 3rd party work on one of their franchises. Sega did a brilliant job on this game. Nintendo haven't worked on a F-Zero game since the N64 and that was 15 years ago. That shows how much they care about F-Zero.

Let 3rd parties work on the title and other franchises if ye can't be bothered. F-Zero GX is the definitive version of F-Zero and that was by a 3rd party. Giving out about sales is rubbish. The game got no advertising. Look at Luigi's Mansion 2 and DKCR on 3DS. It's no coincidence that they're featuring in the charts because they're heavily advertised on TV. I've lost count of the amount of times I've seen the ads. If F-Zero got that kind of exposure it would get sales too.

Pikmin is getting a third game in the series and that has had poor sales as well but that's Miyamoto's little baby so he can green light that project. The 2 previous games only amassed sales of roughly 3 million on the Gamecube.

You're taking it to extremes. What he means is that it'll be like how Luigi's Mansion was done. Developed by other companies, but with EAD/SPD oversight

I read that bollocks from Nintendo yesterday...

'We don't have any revolutionary ideas for F-Zero so we're not doing one...'

No one wants a new gimmick in F-Zero FFS.

The game just needs 30 new track designs... the tracks ARE F-Zero!

Yes, and if they did that

"Nintendo's playing it too safe"

"Wait 10 years for an F-Zero and all I get is a fucking HD upgrade?"

and so forth

Yes, and if they did that

"Nintendo's playing it too safe"

"Wait 10 years for an F-Zero and all I get is a fucking HD upgrade?"

and so forth

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD says HELLO!

Yes, we knew about the games...and just that. We knew they existed, we knew NOTHING about them. It's a bit ridiculous to complain at that

Indeed. This was the strongest E3 showing Nintendo has EVER had

Home console 3D Mario? Check

Home console 2D Mario? Check but DLC

Mario Kart? Check

Smash Bros? On two consoles - Check

Zelda? HD remake and new 2D game - Check

3D Pokémon? Check

Second Donkey Kong Country game in 16 years? Check

Soon-to-be-release new IP? Check

Later pseudo-new IP? Check (X)

Revival of critically acclaimed franchise? Check (Bayonetta)

Yet, all these things are not enough for the Internet. I swear, if Nintendo gave everyone a puppy with a Wii U, people would complain it's not enough.

Yes, there were few surprises, but welcome to E3. There never are many anymore

You say this, yet the Wii U has very little interest on the market and the people that control the money in the industry actually ignore that Nintendo exist most of the time. That's not the internet, that the reality of the market.

Nintendo are heavily failing at communicating why people should buy their console and I don't think that the lineup they showed near E3 is going to change that. It may be good enough for people that already own the system but it's not going to win over any people waiting for the other nex-gen consoles or many people that have dropped the cash already.

Nintendo need to wake up to the fact that unless they make the Wii U as exciting in terms of new experiences (and also communicate that fact) as the Wii then a very large group of potential customers are going to ignore it for the technically superior products. Why? Because they know that they have less limitations in terms of which of the games they want to play are going to turn up on that console.

And let's not forget the downward spiral of low unit sales => dwindling 3rd party interest => low unit sales.

Of course, all of these points could be totally moot if Nintendo is only interested in making a machine whose sole real KSP is being where you play Nintendo games. Forget the "new play styles" and the Miiverse stuff. From a certain perspective, Nintendo force customers to buy their machines to play their nostalgic franchises as you can't get them anywhere else.