N-Europe

Mario & Sonic at the Sochi Winter Olympics

Lens of Truth

I'm counting on the last unlockable character to be Putin himself, barechested and riding on horseback while holding two assault rifles that shoot heterofying man rounds.

Also, don't even dream of taking him on in ski jump. The man can fly like a crane.

• 2 weeks later...
Look, don't pretend like it's that simple. Historically, 3rd parties have always been reluctant to develop for Nintendo's systems, and even if Nintendo does everything right, many will still be reluctant (things like Rockstar's irrational dislike for Nintendo consoles, or Kojima's preference for the Playstations. Even Namco's odd stubbornness in releasing Tales games in the west is a hurdle)

And complaining that you aren't getting the games you want in a thread that doesn't concern any of it is both pointless and childish. And what only makes it worse is that you're comparing a 1st party effort to 3rd party support, as if one negates the other.

In this industry, like all others, money rules all. And Nintendo have LOTS. Nintendo have previously made deals, where second party developers get to make entries in third party franchises. Ridge Racer 64, Metal Gear Solid etc. Or they've gotten third parties to make games that people actually DO want. Pilotwings 64, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX etc. And then they've invested in cool third party projects, like Geist and Eternal Darkness.

Why do Nintendo REFUSE to do that stuff nowadays? Why not have Retro Studios make a Wii U exclusive GTA (like a modern remake of Vice City based on the GTA V engine) or ask someone to make a new Starfox? Why didn't they buy Bizarre Creations when they were about to go bust and then have them make a Wii U exclusive GT-killer?

In this industry, like all others, money rules all. And Nintendo have LOTS. Nintendo have previously made deals, where second party developers get to make entries in third party franchises. Ridge Racer 64, Metal Gear Solid etc. Or they've gotten third parties to make games that people actually DO want. Pilotwings 64, Metroid Prime, F-Zero GX etc. And then they've invested in cool third party projects, like Geist and Eternal Darkness.

Why do Nintendo REFUSE to do that stuff nowadays? Why not have Retro Studios make a Wii U exclusive GTA (like a modern remake of Vice City based on the GTA V engine) or ask someone to make a new Starfox? Why didn't they buy Bizarre Creations when they were about to go bust and then have them make a Wii U exclusive GT-killer?

Moneyhatting developers isn't enough. I believe I already made that point clear, so let's stop the discussion here, as the post you necro'd was already off-topic in the first place.

• 1 month later...

I completely forgot this was coming out this week until I happened to spot it on Shopto on Thursday. I ordered it and then forgot all about it yesterday until Welsh mentioned it when playing CoD. I went and checked the post and lo and behold it was there.

I put a but of time into it yesterday and more this morning and it's quite enjoyable. Really it's more of the same but it's solid enough.

The gamepad is used as Sonic and Mario TV where you can check the world rankings, unlockables and a daily friend report to see how they are doing.

Your friends records can be seen where you select an event, which is a nice feature. You can also set up a private lobby online but there doesn't seem to be an invite option, so you need to arrange beforehand when to meet up.

When winning certain events you get interviewed. The gamepad is then used as a camera and you can take photos of yourself and then send them to your friends.

One thing that is annoying is the length of some of the tutorials and then having to keep switch between control methods.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

So I just claimed this as my second free game from the MK8 promotion. Just in time... :heh:

I had 2 copies of MK hence being able to get 2 games.

I chose this as I wanted something fun to play, and I had claimed TW101 from my other free game so there was nothing left to pick as I had played all the others.

Going to give it a little go tonight. Did anyone play this? I know it was rated pretty crap, but I like the Mario and Sonic games and this looked ok to me!

Not bad for a free game anyway! :)

So I just claimed this as my second free game from the MK8 promotion. Just in time... :heh:

I had 2 copies of MK hence being able to get 2 games.

I chose this as I wanted something fun to play, and I had claimed TW101 from my other free game so there was nothing left to pick as I had played all the others.

Going to give it a little go tonight. Did anyone play this? I know it was rated pretty crap, but I like the Mario and Sonic games and this looked ok to me!

Not bad for a free game anyway! :)

Yeah, I played it. I thought it was alright, but after the other two this just felt very old hat. The soundtrack is amazing though.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

I haven't played one since the Wii and DS versions (the original ones) so really looking forward to this actually!

It's quite surprising that we haven't seen Mario and Sonic in another setting outside of the Olympics. A Mario and Sonic game could be pretty interesting if it were platform / adventure based! :yay:

I haven't played one since the Wii and DS versions (the original ones) so really looking forward to this actually!

It's quite surprising that we haven't seen Mario and Sonic in another setting outside of the Olympics. A Mario and Sonic game could be pretty interesting if it were platform / adventure based! :yay:

Yeah, i've always wanted an adventure/RPG with both characters and their worlds in the same game. It could be glorious.